I just saw Guradians of the Galaxy 2 and it was boring, Logan was boring, Sucide Squad was boring, Civil War was boring...

I just saw Guradians of the Galaxy 2 and it was boring, Logan was boring, Sucide Squad was boring, Civil War was boring, Batman v Superman was boring.
Whyare all these cape movies boring now?

I still enjoy some comics, the current Superman and Supersons are some of my favorite cape things right now, but the movies and tv shows just bore me that I feel like it makes me come off overly negative when I talk about it with friends

Other urls found in this thread:

marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Abilisk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because every cape comic follows the same story beats in the end.

OK

I really don't expect this thread to last long, I'm sure similar threads have been made hundreds of times over

I get that, but why must I come off as negative for pointing out this flaw?
I mean the movies are all following the same formula and the charactrers don't feel like their growing and no one seems to point that out

You're either a cynic, contrarian, or don't like cape movies period. It's one thing to not like any of the movies you listed, but to declare them all boring is a different thing. Especially GotG and SS.

Because it has to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Marvel is generic action comedy and DC is generic regular action.

Capeshit is reaching it's peak. Even Marvel now is getting lazy with their movies(I dont care what anybody says, Ant Man and Doctor Strange are carbon copies of Iron Man).

Also all the big things capeshit fans wanted to see has been done now. There's still more but all the big beats have been hit.

>Avengers
>Justice League
>Batman vs.Superman
>Avengers fighting each other
>Spider Man with the Avengers
>Female capeshit movie
>Hulk and Thor team up
>Infinity Gauntlet
>Superman getting to punch someone for once
>Bane breaking Batman's back
>Deadpool
>R Rated Wolverine
>Planet Hulk

If someone told me Marvel Studios was suspending the MCU after Civil War, I would have been content because I've seen everything I wanted to see.

I disagree that they were boring, but I think the reason is that the original charm of "Oh my god! This character is finally going to be on the big screen" has worn off. At this point, it's expected. The novelty has worn off.

It's like if they announced a new Smash Brothers. Yes, you'll play it, but you probably won't be as excited as you were during Brawl.

The only major stuff left is a crisis event for DC, and maybe Galactus done right.

It's cool if you don't like comic book movies. This is pretty much a wide range of comic book movie tones. You didn't really say anything like "But I loved this movie".

You don't have to like every part of the fandom. Be free! Be happy not liking comic book movies! Like that which you actually like!

Get your reasonable and positive bullshit out of here

I have been told I come off as a cynic and a nihilist, so much so that apparently people thing that I have a look like things are terrible when I tell them nothing is wrong, so you may be right about that

>Because it has to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Yeah I can understand that, it truly feels that it attempts to do this. The last good movie I saw in theatres I think was The Man from Uncle, and even that wasn't perfect but it definetly was refreshing and tried to push the boundaries much more than those cape movies ever seem to

Most of the newer superhero movies I've seen are boring to me too, because they seem to be more worried into setting up a "shared universe" and continuity than in telling a story and making a good movie of it.
Pretty much like superhero comics.

>The only major stuff left is a crisis event for DC
There are hints that DC has been steering towards something of that nature if the knightmare scene in Batman V Superman is taken into consideration, however it could only have connection to Justice League and nothing else

>I just saw Guradians of the Galaxy 2 and it was boring, Logan was boring
You're boring

>I still enjoy some comics, the current Superman and Supersons
Oh, you're not boring. You just have shit taste.

The genre is overdone. there really is only so much you can do with Superhero Comics on the big screen

its going to boring after awhile

SS is super fucking boring tho, bad action, script, editing, and plot leave you numb after the first 5 minutes for the rest of the film.

>I have been told I come off as a cynic and a nihilist
But I bet you have a wicked sense of humor.

Okay what DO you find interesting and not boring? Do you think it's actually boring or you just come into everything expecting/wanting it to be so it that way automatically.

Is that an IHE thumbnail you fuck

I think they're mostly entertaining, more than 95% of current cape comics anyway.

I don't know, I googled something and grabbed it for a quick thread

>Okay what DO you find interesting and not boring?
That varies, movie wise the last good movie I can think of was The Man from Uncle and John Wick when it comes to action at least.

>Do you think it's actually boring or you just come into everything expecting/wanting it to be so it that way automatically.
Funny enough I really go into the movies hoping for the best, or at least I try to but then I find myslef predicting the beats before they happen or just losing interest in the formula

Have you ever thought that maybe these genres are just not for you and you should stop trying so hard to like something you already know you'll be disappointed in?

I don't get this
>carbon copy of Iron Man

In what way? by mixing comedy and loosing up the seriousness of the story? What is it?

You may be right, I was watching the movies becasue there was a thought that they were for the fans of the comics, but maybe I misunderstood that and should accept the fact that these are movies for general fans that are okay with the mediocre shit

>Logan was boring,
why you trolling user? the death of fucking wolverine is always sad, and add prof X to it?

shits gona make me cry im never going to watch it

Doctor Strange is pretty blatantly Iron Man but with magic instead of an mech suit.

I really did try to like Logan, and I do think Hugh Jackman was a great choice for the role but the movie just never grabbed me

I also notice why are they getting darker filter wise

wtf

I know this will come off wrong to people here but "turn your brain off".
Seriously, you're not watching movies to show anyone your prowess as a movie script critic. Which really isn't that impressive anyway if you think cape movies have the exclusivity on predictable blockbusters.

You got to learn to enjoy the little things. Was Ant-Man's script by-the-numbers? Sure, but it had some unique looking fight scenes, some charming performances and some jokes that landed.

That's an attitude I've learned from a friend of mine who's studied film making and works as an editor. If he "leaves his brain on" he can see the little manipulative shit movies do to get audiences to feel the way they want them to feel, but that distances him from the movie-watching experience in a way that prevents any enjoyment.
At least for your first viewing you should try to be magnanimous, it's for you that you're doing it, not the movie. If you're a wannabe film critic, keep that for the second viewing, cynicism isn't a good way to consume entertainment in terms of, you know, being entertained.

You not enjoying them as a comics fan doesn't mean comics fans don't enjoy them user.
It's time you get down from that high horse.

Similar story beats and some similar character archetypes. I'm serious, that's all it takes for faggots to say they're the same movie.

maybe I worded that incorrectly. I was more speaking for myself as a comic fan looking for something a bit deeper and experimental

That may be some work for someone such as myself.

Because almost all adaptations of anything are watered down shit.

>expecting experimental and deep stories from blockbusters that are made to make billions

>The last good movie I saw in theatres I think was The Man from Uncle

Cavill go work on your acting skills so you won't be so wooden for JL

That's it right there. I always feel with these movies they never take as muxh risks as they should. Everything feels too safe and made by committee.

Does Cavill even use Sup Forums?

this is definetly part of the problem, the shared universe isn't bad in and of itself but the movie does need to feel likes it's own first and foremost before opening up to other movies in the shared universe

>Batman v Superman was boring.
Nope!

>"Just turn your brain off and enjoy the action!"

Fuck off back to Sup Forums

Do not "turn your brain off" on prupose either. Try to sit and watch the movie. If it's well made, it'll make you "turn your brain off" on its own merits, and you probably won't notice most of the retarded things until you're driving back home and thinking about it (Nolan is good at this). If it's shit, it won't let you "turn your brain off" and you'll be noticing all the bullshit in it, and that's good. Some movies deserve it.
If everybody would try to do this, movies would have to improve, at least on a surface level, in order to fool you. As things are now, when even critics tell you to "turn your brain off", they don't even have to make the minimum effort. Recent examples: CW and TFA (not mentioning BvS because it got shit upon anyway, and I actually believe they kinda tried to do something, only that they failed miserably).

>Movies can be so much more!
>>>>>>>>>

>Also all the big things capeshit fans wanted to see has been done now. There's still more but all the big beats have been hit (...) I've seen everything I wanted to see.
And what about Plastic Man: The Movie?

>as a comic fan looking for something a bit deeper and experimental
Really? Comics where Robins have died more than I can count on one hand? Where they keep going back to teenager Peter Parker? Where they keep making legacy families larger and larger and bringing dead people back because people only want what they already know? Where half of the experimental stuff they do is hackneyed gimmicky shit to boost sales?

Don't get me wrong there's some great, interesting unique shit in cape comics, but it's a drop in an ocean of diarrhea of creativity.

But more to the point I guess, do you really expect something risky from Hollywood? And I mean more than what we got?
Say what you want about MoS and BvS but they clearly let Zack Snyder do his trash auteur shit and take risks, even if I don't think he pulled it off.
Ant-Man had Honey I Shrunk the Kids fight scenes. How is that not experimental?
Whedon's imprint is clear on both Avengers movies, and he does take risks and has unique takes on characters, for better and for worse.

Again, I think you're looking at scripts too much when talking about an audiovisual medium. Especially considering the possible depth in characterization is hampered by the medium and type of movies (action blockbusters) these are.

>SS
yeah, that movie wasn't boring. it was so bad it was hilarious.

>THIS IS KATANA. SHE'S GOT MY BACK
fucking kek

How much does Marvel pay you?

I like the MCU but even I can admit those movies are dogshit copies of Iron Man.

>Charming but somewhat assholish hero gets down on his luck
>Gets super powers
>Has to master their powers
>Token ethnic friend
>Mentor who may or may not die
>Generic villain
>Love interest who supports the hero and does enough action to please tumblr
>Hero has to sacrifice themselves at the end to defeat the Big Bad
>Funny non-human sidekick(Jarvis and Tony's machines, Antony, Cloak of Levitation)
>Villain infiltrates the hero's home/base of operations somewhere in the middle of the movie

Sup Forums only says that ironically.

As the person adapting comics wouldn't want to adapt the drop of crazy awesome craetivy that works instead of just another generic story ?

If you are okay with the movies being generic that's fine, but I don't feel those styles you mention are shing through as well as you think they are. I will give Zack Snyder the credit of him possibly trying, but his stuff feels like he just doesn't want to do capes but more another art piece and is being held back due to exec bullshit

>Try to sit and watch the movie.
Well that was kind of my point, don't go and sit in front of a movie with the intent of finding its flaws, watch the movie to watch the movie.
Yeah if it's shit you'll probably notice it, but if it has minor flaws or predictable beats, it really shouldn't be enough to take the enjoyment out of it.

>literally similar story beats and character archetypes

Are you new to the job? You have to try harder than that shill.

The movies aren't any more generic than other action blockbusters, they're pretty clearly less generic I'd say. Considering the stakes, it's unreasonable to expect them to make a Mojoworld movie, even if I'd love to see one.

Favreau clearly tried, Whedon clearly tried, Reed clearly tried, Waititi is clearly trying, Ang Lee clearly tried, Trank clearly tried, Raimi clearly tried, Singer clearly tried, Miller clearly tried, Vaughn clearly tried, ...

It's literally all you posted. A movie isn't just a bare bones script, you wannabe CinemaSins you.

>Favreau clearly tried, Whedon clearly tried, Reed clearly tried, Waititi is clearly trying, Ang Lee clearly tried, Trank clearly tried, Raimi clearly tried, Singer clearly tried, Miller clearly tried, Vaughn clearly tried, ...
what did they clearly try, what was done to subvert what is the norm for Marvel?

What was done to make these movies stand in their own merits and not feel like another super hero movie in the MCU?

Do these movies ever feel like their own or just another puzzle piece to this big thing that Disney/Marvle is trying to lead to that may not be worth the pay off?

Granted your answers may vary from mine, but I am not satisfied with the results thus far

Stop watching them

I am so burnt out I decided not to see any more superhero/Star wars movies.

Start watching different movies user, you don't have to see this stuff. Don't be one those people that will just see anything as long as it is a character you like. If these movies aren't doing it for you, watch some different kinds of movies that you do enjoy. You may even find you don't miss the Cape shit.

Well, but "turn your brain off" implies you're leaving all critical capacities at the door, and that's never a good way to watch a movie, or read a book, or do anything really. Just as you shouldn't go in predisposed not to like it, going in willing to take any shit they throw at you is not good at all. You should never "turn your brain off".

Can please tell me was first boss fight in movie(title scene with ELO song) is against that guy from MvC2(you know who)? He had two eyes and mouth in movie, not familiar enough to know who else it would be

Subvert?
You don't make movies to subvert other movies, this isn't art school.

If your only intent is to subvert the genre then you end up with stuff like Zack Snyder's which while it's trying to be intellectual by deconstructing his idea of what capes are, in the end looks like he just doesn't enjoy capes.
It's kind of like a reverse "What's so funny..." where the stupid meta message about what capes mean just prevents it from telling an actual story worth reading just for itself.

I like reading cape adventures, not intricated meta bullshit that ends up being an exercise in masturbation. Most of those movies (but not all of them) are cape adventures played straight.

>What was done to make these movies stand in their own merits
You want me to list everything that each cape movie has done that's somewhat unique?

>not feel like another super hero movie in the MCU
Half of the names I've listed were non-MCU movies.

Again, if you go to these movies to find things to criticize, you will, and that's fine, but let's not pretend that because you can make those criticisms it means there's nothing to like.

Are you thinking of Shuma-Gorath?
I don't if that creature was supposed to be him but if it was talk about a small cameo, he was out of focus most of that oepning scene

> that's never a good way to watch a movie, or read a book, or do anything really
Why not?
As you said if it's glaring enough there's no turning your brain off anyway.

And as I said, it's only for first viewing, you can give a second critical watch if you really want to feel like an informed consumer.

Yeah if it wasn't gorath who was it? That there's two eyes that aren't massive and that there's a mouth fucks with me but it's a tentacle blob nonetheless and shuma is the only character I can think of that qualifies as a tentacle blob

I'm not stopping you from likeing the movies, I am saying I don't see the enjoyment or these unique moments you mention.

Also whats wrong with subverting the normal?
It's what I like about most of Grant Morrison's comics or Alan Moore (before he went batshit crazy)

>I can just pay to see it twice to be critical of it

Or you can pay nonce like I do and watch it twice for free on the internets.

>Why are all these cape movies boring now?
Because you haven't listened to music while the movie's playing and been wowed by the synchronicity
It's all that got me through Civil War

well in review it was called Abilisk. It seems to be a unique creature created for the movie, but it could have been an homage to an existing character
marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Abilisk

Because it's better to demand more from art than less. If it gets to the point of you not enjoying anything, it's counterproductive but "turning your brain off" is even worse because it makes things level downwards instead of upwards, and that's why we get all this shit we're getting nowadays. Just a few years ago, no self respecting critic would've given a good review to a movie where the bad guy's plot is revealed to be a rubber mask (and it's revealed in a voiceover, no less), but nowadays it gets a pass because "it's fun". That's not good at all.

That's fine, but don't act like you're special for not liking it. It's just not your niche

But there IS subversion in some of those movies. Most of which critics on Sup Forums hate.
>IM1/2
Unique characterization for Tony, who reveals himself to be Iron Man right away.
>IM3
Tony without the armor story. Mandarin twist.
>Avengers 2
Unique characterization for Ultron, 15 minute scene of just well executed character-driven dialogue at Hawkguy's place
>Ant-Man
Unique looking small-scale fight scenes, unique narration style.
>GotG1/2
Subversion of climatic fight scene finish that's also a payoff from earlier scenes, diegetic soundtrack.

I'm sure some of it comes down to taste, my favorite part of Morrison's Animal Man run was him being an awesome dad.

But it has nothing to do with demands, it has to do with your own enjoyment.
You can enjoy something without demanding more of it. Your brain is not a Nielsen family.

>that's why we get all this shit we're getting nowadays
No it's because people pay for whatever. Again, we're not talking about paying for those movies, we're talking about your experience watching them. If you've paid for the movie already you've done your job for execs, regardless of your enjoyment of them.

> the bad guy's plot is revealed to be a rubber mask (and it's revealed in a voiceover, no less)
I think I've missed this one, which movie are you refering to?

That's just a conformist stand on things. If you don't like it, they might have gotten your money for that one but you're gonna think twice before paying again, and if they still pull that shit, they're gonna have to try something different.
If you try to spread the idea of "turning your brain off", you're doing a disservice to the improvement of cinema. Of course, thinking only that would change things is idealistic, but it's a start.

And I was talking about Civil War.

>and if they still pull that shit, they're gonna have to try something different.
*I meant they're gonna have to try something different because you won't fall for it again.

Forgot QS's death in AoU as a subversion of death scenes: Whedon clearly tries to make you expect Hawkeye is going to die and then QS swoops in and takes a bullet, winks at the camera and goes "didn't see that comink?"
Goddamnit that was stupid and annoying.

Thank you

I'm only spreading this idea to someone who complains he's not enjoying movies that I think are enjoyable, because I think they're being wilfully cynical when watching those movies. Because I used to be in a similar place in my life at some point.

I don't think it's necessarily a think to live by or spread to people who are stupid or happy-go-lucky by nature.

I barely paid attention to the plot in CW, I'll admit it was all sorts of stupid from what I gathered. But hey, cool fight scenes and the emotional scene for Tony was great. I've only given it 1 watch as of now.

Again, I don't pay to watch those movies anyway (I did watch Deadpool in theaters but I think that was the only one since X2), so this argument is again about how you enjoy a movie, not how that impacts the way you consume movies.

>I barely paid attention to the plot in CW, I'll admit it was all sorts of stupid from what I gathered. But hey, cool fight scenes and the emotional scene for Tony was great.
You deserve better, you should demand better. Stop eating shit just because you payed for it, demand they serve you something else. Or at least, accept it's shit and get your food elsewhere, so they stop serving shit.

>Again, I don't pay to watch those movies anyway (I did watch Deadpool in theaters but I think that was the only one since X2), so this argument is again about how you enjoy a movie, not how that impacts the way you consume movies.
And this makes it even worse. If you don't pay, and therefore you can choose to watch anything you want, why don't you want something that's actually good instead of something you have to pretend it's good so you don't feel like you wasted your time?

Pay attention.
I don't pay to watch those movies. If you do that's a you problem.
We're not talking about consumer attitude, we're talking about movie watcher attitude.

To follow on your wise food analogy, when you eat a burger if you spend your time wondering if it's worth the price or how you would have made a better burger you'll miss the enjoyment of the potentially delicious taste of the burger you're eating right fucking now.

Fucking enjoy things, you faggot.

Because I don't pretend anything. I actually enjoy (most of) those movies. Sorry that I prefer that to smelling my own farts about how distinguished of a Hollywood blockbuster consumer I am for not enjoying anything.

And I also watch other movies. Stop being a retard.

Oh, so we're resorting at insults now?
If I eat a burger and it sucks, I don't go there again and pretend it's good, you fucking retard.

Read this

What a fucking shithead you are. You first say you "turn your brain off" but now you say you don't pretend anything? You're making an effort to enjoy something you know is bad. That's fucking stupid no matter how you wanna put it.
I don't say you shouldn't enjoy anything, I say you should watch what you trully enjoy and not give a pass to shit movies. That's what people with a functioning brain do.

But the burgers don't suck if you don't actually try to pretend that they suck just to brag about it on /ck/. No, they're not canard à l'orange, but they're fine burgers and some of them have some cool unique sauces to them.
Fucking l2perspective.

What a fucking idiot, you admitted yourself that CW's plot was fucking retarded "but it had cool fights". That's like eating somewhere where the burger is shit but they have good fries. Just go somewhere where both are good, you moron.

stop taking lithium

I don't pretend anything because a movie doesn't have to be impossible to criticize to be enjoyable. As I've explained "turn your brain off" is just a way to counter being over-cynical or over-analytical, to stop yourself from acting like a critic at all times and act like a movie watcher.
That does not mean (as I said earlier) that you can't give the movie a second watch with your "brain on" if you want to find things to criticize about it.

And again again, if a movie is really bad, there's no amount of turining your brain off that will stop the movie from pissing you off.

>you know is bad
[citation needed]

Movies aren't just a plot like a burger isn't just a bun, you pleb. It's an audiovisual medium.

CW had a retarded plot, I guess that literally means all cape movies are bad.

>>you know is bad
>[citation needed]

>I barely paid attention to the plot in CW, I'll admit it was all sorts of stupid from what I gathered.

Or does "all sorts of stupid" mean "it was ok" now?

So you admit these movies are retarded, yet you like them and encourage other people to do the same.
You're worse than a simple retard who actually thinks these movies are awesome.

I guess cock is the only thing that still excites you then.

Wew, your reading comprehension is this bad.

It's hard to believe you think you're not an idiot.

Let's try again
>a movie with a bad plot can have positive aspects to it that you can enjoy, you can even argue that it's a good movie if those other aspects are good enough
>CW having a bad plot doesn't mean all cape movies have bad plots

For the record CW is one I really didn't enjoy much aside from the couple of things I mentionned earlier. That does not mean that I didn't enjoy other cape movies.

then stop watching money on them

>THIS IS KATANA. SHE'S GOT MY BACK
Why is this a meme?

Because people see criticism as you saying "this movie is shit and you're shit for liking it." You are totally right when you say that many superhero films hit the same beats, and I can understand why you might become bored with the majority of them. Does it mean the movies suck, or are universally bad? No, or at least it doesn't have to mean that, but people take it that way anyways. Just be content in your views and live your life full of happiness and comic books.

Because it is such a badly written line, it loops back around to being funny.

>I mean the movies are all following the same formula and the charactrers don't feel like their growing and no one seems to point that out
I mean if you expected something else, why are you here to begin with? Why would you watch these movies every time if you find them so boring?

>>a movie with a bad plot can have positive aspects to it that you can enjoy, you can even argue that it's a good movie if those other aspects are good enough
Like those "cool fights" you said. That's just aiming at the lower common denominator, and should be disencouraged. And this was a plot-heavy movie. It was a major part of it, so it being shit is pretty damn important. But besides that, it wasn't just the plot that was bad in CW: it was inconsistent (we're supposed to think heroes care a lot about collateral damage yet they go and fuck up an entire airport and there's no consequences whatsoever), the cinematography was bland, the music was just as bland, and so on. It was just a mediocre movie and giving it a pass just lowers the bar.
You're willingly deciding to stick in mediocrity instead of looking for better things, and that's never good. Numbness is not happiness.
However, watching these movies just to hate them is just as stupid and counterproductive. I saw CW because I went with someone else who wanted to watch it. It's only the second Marvel movie I've watched complete because I am not interested in this kind of garbage, so I don't watch them.

Mike's fallen on hard times.