Was GotG always so pandering, or was that only since the movie came out?

Was GotG always so pandering, or was that only since the movie came out?

I don't know what you're talking about, but this episode rocked.

It's the movie. I'm not going to be a fag and claim I was a huge Guardians fan before the movie but it does fucking suck to see every piece of media about them now portray them as "the wacky meme space Avengers!"

I actually went and read the DnA series and it was pretty decent. Why cant we get more of that instead of Meme Lord making references to the movie?

This.

No but it's not like it was ever good. I've read GotG on and off for the last ten years and while sometimes it hit that sweet spot of engaging space adventures, most of the time it was bland.

Bendis and Humphries are both hacks, the former using his position as part of that committee for Marvel Studios to learn information about the movie and put it into his comics so he can say that he did it "first".

Duggan and perhaps Zdarsky might work the characters out of the shithole that they were driven into. Duggan himself has extensive experience with reverting characters from their shitty, normalfag-friendly parodies like he did with Deadpool so one can hope.

Movie version has no depth and is incredibly easy to emulate

Shame the Korvac plot never picked up, like so many others

DnA run isn't even that good

I thought Zdarsky's series was already over.

That was the cartoon pandering to the comics.
Not sure if well, even, I seem to recall Rocket being somewhat like in the movie.

>the former using his position as part of that committee for Marvel Studios to learn information about the movie and put it into his comics so he can say that he did it "first".
At least he can't do that anymore.

Yep, his Star-Lord run got cancelled and finished up already.

It was *before* the movie came out, when Bendis was put on the title. He fucked it up, then Humphries fucked it up with him.

It's not even ""synergy"", Bendis's GotG were such a bastardised version of Gunn's GotG. Everything Bendis did was for the worst. There was nothing redeeming about his GotG run.

Even though Gunn's depiction is somewhat different, there's still a lot of inspiration and references to the DnA run. He even specifically told Pratt to stay away from Bendis's stuff and to read DnA if he really wanted to read GotG comics.

Because Marvel writers are as stupid as those fans who "have to read from the beginning"

Kind of hilarious that Bendis is now playing catch up now. Like changing Ganke's name into Ned. He's so creatively bankrupt that he's chasing movies.

>used the Badoon in Avengers Assemble because Gunn initially wanted to use them instead of Sakaarans
>killed Rhodey in CW II because it looked like he died in the movie trailer
>gave Ganke a 'Ned' alias because he thinks Homecoming ripped off his Miles comics
>included J'Son a lot in his GotG because the first movie set up exploring Peter's heritage and thought they'd use J'Son, only for Gunn to use Ego
kek

wrong pic

I could handle all the faggotry with Bobby, the general populist themes from kid Avengers, and even Kamala and Chavez are readable but Fat acceptance is not or ever will be ok

>Even though Gunn's depiction is somewhat different, there's still a lot of inspiration and references to the DnA run. He even specifically told Pratt to stay away from Bendis's stuff and to read DnA if he really wanted to read GotG comics.

Which I think is the real thing to define what works and what doesn't. The MCU makes radical depatures but USUALLY there's a logic behind it you can see if you squint. Movie Star Lord is played by a guy who's done a lot of comedy and has a jokey personality. Him being a bit wackier is a natural extension of that since it's giving the actor something to work with. The Guardians are less of the uniformed heroes they wound up being in comics before that point because the movie was largely about individual loss and individual characters as they were before they teamed up, and in the second film they still haven't fully coalesced into that larger unit or fully taken up the mantle of the others who did, but they're getting there. Which also makes sense, because many of the guardians have a history before that team and wound up changing for it, in some cases in really radical ways. If you know what you're doing you can take apart basically any movie adaptation of anything and see the hows and the why's, even if sometimes they're really forced.

Benis and friends don't do that. They're all about chasing trends and copying others. You see it in DC as well where if there's a new character elsewhere there's a rush to jam them in, or if they're old rework them in a way nobody likes(See also: Felicity showing up in the GA comics for like five minutes at the point everyone began hating that version of the character, and Aya showing up in the Green Lantern stuff right as the animated series got cancelled).

>Movie Star Lord is played by a guy who's done a lot of comedy and has a jokey personality. Him being a bit wackier is a natural extension of that since it's giving the actor something to work with.
MCU Star-Lord is also a Peter that doesn't have those years of experience that comics Star-Lord had, nor has he experienced enough tragedy to really become serious. He doesn't have the guilt of the Phalanx invasion to drive him. Without this tragedy and guilt, MCU Star-Lord's humour just comes across as that, rather than humour used as a coping mechanism to mask his pain and torment. MCU Peter has a lot of serious moments - when he's trying to get the rest of the team to agree on taking down Ronan's ship, when he finds out Ego planted the tumour in his mother's brain. The loss of Yondu may be MCU Peter's turning point.

>The Guardians are less of the uniformed heroes they wound up being in comics before that point because the movie was largely about individual loss and individual characters as they were before they teamed up, and in the second film they still haven't fully coalesced into that larger unit or fully taken up the mantle of the others who did, but they're getting there.
There's also the fact that Vol. 2 only takes place a couple of MONTHS after Vol. 1. They still have a lot of development to go through, which we'll see when the GotG appear in Infinity War and Vol. 3. Gunn has said there will be a significant maturation going further.

Jesus fucking christ, I don't even know how to properly react to this. What a fucking hack.

God, that's just so sad. For the characters, I mean.

Still not getting uniformed GotG team. Peter is still in ravager gear, rocket/drax wear nova corp blue. Gamora and Mantis wear their outfits. I mean..... its ok, I guess. I hope by GotG 3 they look into a more uniform look.

i think ned is supposed to be ganke in the movies but they don't want to use ganke cause they clearly hate bendis

Bendis pls

>Kind of hilarious that Bendis is now playing catch up now. Like changing Ganke's name into Ned.

Hold on, wait, what? I feel like I've missed an important chapter here.

Dude... that's not how movie synergy works, unforunately. It's the other way around.

i miss EMH

Master Chief Star-Lord should come back

That's just pathetic. How recent was this?

>It was *before* the movie came out, when Bendis was put on the title.
>It's not even ""synergy""
Bendis was part of the Marvel Movie Committee or whatever it was called and got his hands on an early script. It's why the Badoon were suddenly relevant again in the beginning of his run and why Bug was part of the team when he wrote them in Avengers Assemble.

Latest issue, 2 weeks or so ago.

The movies are good. The problem is that Marvel's EIC and writers are creatively and morally bankrupt. It's not the movie's fault Bendis and Dog-fucker are shit writers

As someone who is only a fan of the movies, whats so important about them wearing matching uniforms? Don't you want them to be unique characters with unique personalities?

Don't forget, he brought back the male Diamondback, who only existed in 2 issues in the 70's, purely to match up with the Luke Cage TV show.

I mean, only Bendis would look at the most criticized character of that show and shout "YES! That's the villain of my Defenders run!"

The movies have more depth than the comics ever have.

GTFO casual

This. I mean, look at how sad Yondu's death was. Very rarely these days do I get a death that makes me sad and not angry.

Bendis is copying things? THE Bendis? Bendis the writer? He's copying things? The writer named Bendis is taking ideas, stories and characters from others and shoehorning them into his own books? That sort of copying? Done by Bendis?

Maaaan was the writing cringey in GotG2. Pretty much anything "daddy" or "sister" related was cheesy as all hell. Yondu's death was the only genuinely well written "sappy" part, the writing left so much to be desired.

That said I thought the movie was great. Take away all that cheese and you get an awesome soundtrack, great visuals and some pretty funny moments. The serious writing portions needed lots of work though

It is good and bad. Too rushed

Probably why he jumped ship to Defenders.

How was it cringey or cheesy? As someone with a dysfunctional family it hit pretty close to home for me.

They wore uniforms in the DnA run.

>Zdarsky
No, fuck you. This is guy is painfully unfunny yet everyone keeps talking him up, it's a travesty Quinones spent so much time chained to this guy.

The "I know you because I am you" bit hit pretty close to home for me.

Fuck you, man. I used to read Amazing Spider-man in the 80s because it was the only Spider-man comic that was regularly stocked in my local grocery stores and it was always "Ever since things have never been the same*" *editor's note: See an issue from a year or two ago from before you started reading

Even worse if it was from one of the parallel running comics. See last month's Sensational Spider-man, See issue WoS. You literally used to have to read everything for fear of missing huge plot points in key issues, like Black Cat getting shot, hospitalized, recovering, gaining and losing her powers, and having a break-up with Peter.

With just ASM, she's trying to find him after his trip to the Secret Wars, then she's suddenly in the hospital, then suddenly out, and then suddenly they're broken up and Spidey is back in the black.

You obviously didn't follow Cosmic Marvel when it was good.

Good days when they simply told you when things happened so you could look it up. Nowadays they don't even give a shit abut what happened before.

On the flip side of modern comics, I've been catching up on Deadpool, since the last run I had read was Way's. It ended with Evil Deadpool returning, to basically reveal Deadpool still can't die.

Then the next series begins with his second brain voice gone. And then being replaced with that shield Agent. Then they explain that the other voice was Madcap. Which doesn't even come into play until the World's Greatest run, where he's suddenly running Mercs for Money and Madcap is back and out for revenge for Deadpool rejecting him.

But no real way to know what's going on if you haven't read at least 8 years of comics. And without editor's notes guiding you around. So it's not idiotic to feel you need to read some comics from the beginning.

They do it in DC Rebirth comics.

They have those *editor's notes for which issue you should look up? Because that would be nice.

Now about giving a shit about continuity... well I suppose it can't be worse than current Marvel, but I assume there's still some damage from Nu52. Remember when no one could tell who still existed and what had still happened?

>hates Bendis. The comic writer Bendis? That Bendis. Yeah the writer for comics Bendis.
Just when you thought that the MCU couldn't get better something like this happens

>You obviously didn't follow Cosmic Marvel when it was good.

But I did. Strong character arcs were not DnA's forte. Rocket, Gamora, Drax and Groot all have more depth under Gunn than they did under DnA. Quill is about the same, he's just not a veteran seeking atonement.

The only problem I had with this episode is Rocket may as well have been shining flashlights at the Hulk for all the good his advanced energy weapons did him.

>Rocket, Gamora, Drax and Groot all have more depth under Gunn than they did under DnA.
Those are all completely different characters under Gunn. That's comparing apples and oranges, and even then I gotta disagree.
Anyway, how about their part in Annihilation 2?

Well to be fair it IS the Hulk. For whatever damage those guns can do to most aliens, dealing with the big green guy is something else.

Rocket's run into Hulk-level characters before. He's faced down Thanos and Gladiator.

That's why I said "maybe", I was just going off of what other people said about his Star-Lord.

>it's a travesty Quinones spent so much time chained to this guy.
Could be worse. He could be chained to Gabby Rivera.

Oh wait.

Has it already happened in the cartoon, though?
Anyway, facing Thanos doesn't mean you know how to hurt him next time, like making a "Thanos-killing missile" or whatever.
And the Gladiator's power levels float around. I'm not sure he could keep Hulk from completely stomping him on a bad day.

>Those are all completely different characters under Gunn

They're not completely different though, Gunn's just taking them on a different route.

Remember that time in the comics gamora was whimpering and shaking in her cell from some goons threatening her? Remember when Star-lord was a literal man-child? Remember when drax got his ass kicked by everything? Good times.

I remember when Gamora was an ex-assassin trying to atone for the sins she committed serving Thanos. I remember when Star-Lord was an emotionally stunted jerk hung up on the grief of his mom. I remember when Drax was a joke that existed to get his ass beat by Thanos.

Very good times indeed.

Their appearance in Infinity War is 4 years after GotG2.

Let's hope for the helmet again.

>Let's hope for the helmet again.
lol keep dreaming.