What is the patrician opinion on Cool World (1992)?

What is the patrician opinion on Cool World (1992)?

cool

not as good as roger rabbit but better than monkey bone

Holly would if she could, and she did.

>What is the patrician opinion on Cool World (1992)?

Bootleg who framed roger rabbit

Needed more toon sex scenes. I still have blue balls even after all these years.

A little fun-fact:

Cool World came out during the time (1989 - 91-ish, and somewhat afterwards) when that whole 1940s 'fedora' aesthetic started to become a brief interest, and signifier of stylish cool in contemporary movies.

See Tim Burton's Batman, Dick Tracy, Cool World, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Dark City, etc. I'm not talking so much about movies merely being 'noirish', or taking place in the '40s, but more like this pomo, stylized, fictional 1940s usually mixed with science fiction or hyper-referentiality or contemporary elements. This particular flavor quickly faded as a fad, but you still see it in a big way in Christopher Nolan's aesthetic; he's obviously really into that geeky, grimdark blend of '40s with a high tech present.

And basically once this style had become a thing in the kind of broody genre movies that geeks are into, fedoras started to trickle into nerd fashion along with other goofy signifiers of grim, edgy badass-ness, like black trenchcoats and katanas.

Cool World was the last time Ralph Bakshi was relevant and that was 25 years ago!!!FACT!!!

It's decent, the best part of the movie is the aesthetics. A lot of Bakshi's backgrounds were done by the highly underrated British nightmare surreal artist Ian Miller.

>pic related: a typical piece by Miller

I think Bakshi has always been quite flawed but his older stuff is okay as like a relic of old stoned cartoony prog aesthetics.

kino, but you can tell Brad Pitt doesn't even try to act

>See Tim Burton's Batman, Dick Tracy, Cool World, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Dark City, etc. I'm not talking so much about movies merely being 'noirish', or taking place in the '40s, but more like this pomo, stylized, fictional 1940s usually mixed with science fiction or hyper-referentiality or contemporary elements. This particular flavor quickly faded as a fad, but you still see it in a big way in Christopher Nolan's aesthetic; he's obviously really into that geeky, grimdark blend of '40s with a high tech present.

And meant to say that obviously the return and popularity of a darker Batman since the late 80s is probably the biggest influence here, and you can thank / blame Frank Miller a lot for that.

Didn't Dark City come out during the end of the 90s though?

Haven't seen it in about 20 years... but it seemed to get a bit messy toward the end.

admirable effort, but still not a good movie

It wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. One thing that bugged me was the large amount of recycled animations and characters that they would slap on the screen.

fpbp

Yeah, that's why I said some of that continued on a bit later.

I'd also trace the origin of this dark tone that you then get into the 00s - and more currently, somewhat still alive in Warner's branding of DC - back to other, parallel strains of edgecore 90s movies, like The Crow, Fight Club, and Blade. But the geek fedora trend goes back to those other movies I mentioned, probably influenced by Frank Miller.

bullshit, fight me

I remember seeing this on HBO in the middle of the night when I was like 13 (about 14 years ago). I was aroused and intrigued. It's interesting enough and an okay movie.

I'd say the final ingredient that kind of glues that particular aesthetic together is a certain stoic male anime archetype that the guys dressing up like that are LARPING as. Not sure the Japanese name for that character type but I know they have a term for it.

This. Does a single film of his have a decent script? I still love it anyways.

Bakshi wanted to do a movie about a cartoonist/ artist having sex with a female toon, and the hybrid toon-human child of them would have sworn revenge on it's father for abandoning it or something.
But some changes at the top of Paramount destroyed his plans and instead we got the mess we have today.

It's all incoherent, lazy garbage imo. Like there's a lot of nice effort / detail put into certain aspects but then it's always lazily underproduced in other aspects. But it can still look kind of cool for what it is, at least in parts. It comes across as stoner laziness / unprofessionalism, but maybe it's lack of budget too.

I think Wizards does. Long time since I saw it though. And of course production wise it is a typical Bakshi movie.

Toon x Human = 3DCG !?!?!
Could have been kino like the Mask.
2 years before that.