My mom says there are no good high schooler movies like the John Hughes stuff made in the modern day. Is she wrong?

My mom says there are no good high schooler movies like the John Hughes stuff made in the modern day. Is she wrong?

There's no good high schools

She's not wrong.

That's actually true. The last good high school movie was Can't Hardly Wait, unless you like Superbad which came out 10 years ago

sure its good but its outdated in terms of high school life. 21 jump street has been the most in touch high school movie in years

Remakes never count.

There's hardly anything good made in the modern day. I don't see why high schooler movies should be an exception.

Sigh...back when movies could be about white people

I don't think it's outdated, people can still relate to the archetypes without being direct copies

Reminder that Allison was more prettier before the makeup.

*before the makeover

watch St. Elmo's Fire & Some Kind Of Wonderful.

then you'll understand.

>TBC remake
>jock played by BBC
>nerd played by Indian
>burnout still played by white guy but this time he has no redeeming qualities and is a confederate sympathizer
>emo girl played by strong black woman
>redhed played by latina

21 Jump Street is probably closest, although tbf it came out when I was in high school so maybe I'm more than a little biased.

Superbad is great.

This is really true. I don't think Breakfast Club could get made today, it doesn't really belong on the indie circuit but nobody would ever clear a slow character drama movie set in one location for mainstream budgets.

Superbad was hilarious the first time I watched it. Then I watched it again and it wasn't that funny.

with me was the exact opposite

How does a comedy suddenly connect upon 2nd viewing? I don't get that since jokes have only one opportunity to be fresh.

I think it was because I first watched on my sister's pc, with a 17" screen.

Dazed and Confused?

Would you consider a movie made 25 years ago to be modern?