OG Star Wars Concept Art

How much is the OT's success owed to Ralph McQuarrie? OT & PT welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

chaostrophic.com/15-things-almost-happened-star-wars/
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Habitation_sphere
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

retarded. that would literally just snap off and kill everyone.
also Korin's Lookout did it first

If no one else is gonna post then I'm gonna dump ST shit.

Another good one.

ralph's art is sick. both ralph and joe johnston were unsung geniuses imo.

also check out the saber/shield stormtroopers

Prequels had some dope art tbqhf

better size

I have nothing to contribute, but quality thread lads

Infinitely more than normies will ever know.

Love the feel of this one. Like visiting the throne room in hell.

it's surprising how little the concept art was altered on screen

Was that supposed to be in Mustafar?

Pulled from here: chaostrophic.com/15-things-almost-happened-star-wars/

>Vader’s castle was first proposed as a location for The Empire Strikes Back, but was scrapped in the pre-production process when there wasn’t room for it in the final draft of the story.

>It was then repurposed as a lair/throne room for Emperor Palpatine for is big reveal in Return of the Jedi.

>Ralph McQuarrie’s concept art for the scene gives us a glimpse at just how epic the big showdown between Palpatine, Luke, and Vader would have been at such a foreboding location. There’s no doubt that the Palpatine lava lair paved the way for Revenge of the Sith’s Mustafarian lightsaber battle, but one wonders if this type of setting would have been better serviced as a smaller, real set with practical effects.

>original concept before Han's ride changed

>Completed in April 1975, the painting of the temple on Yavin was another very accurately realized onscreen. According to Harrison Ellenshaw, who created that particular matte painting, George specifically requested that it be re-done to look more like Ralph’s original concept.

Some more of Doug's work.

these make awesome wallpapers

fuck off with that shit nu wars faggot

Very interesting concept considering the idea of a fully immersed underwater city hadn't been done in SW before. Too bad it was kind of wasted as a throwaway idea in TPM.

Did Jetsons do it firster?

This concept piece went through several revisions.
>pic related is original

Probably bait, but it's a floating city my man...

TIE fighters are such a terrible spacecraft design.

Ralph is a God and nothing will surpass him. Rest in peace you glorious motherfucker.

I like that a lot of his deigns were used in the CG cartoon.

they're silly but you can't say they aren't memorable

Apparently they were pretty much all George's idea. He made a little sketch of them for Ralph to work from

disney milked your nostagia good tripfag

He'll be missed.

So amazingly cool and horrifying. Makes me want a From Software game that is space based.

Fuck off millenial falcon.

Kino

Ralph had concepts for the Imperial capital planet called Had Abaddon as well which Lucas initially conceptualized as a planet wide city. There's a few pieces showing Vader leading Luke in them to the Emperor presumably. These ideas would eventually be reworked to Coruscant for the PT.

Another with Vader & the Emperor I believe.

Not entirely related but has anyone the scans for The Last Jedi art?

I really wish Star Wars had more locations like Cloud City. Not necessarily a floating city, but something very scifi and visually striking like a planet with an orbital ring station around it.

There's not even any space stations in the films aside from the Death Star, and it's very boring to look at. I guess the ease of spaceflight in Star Wars makes smaller orbital stations kind of pointless, but you'd think there would be asteroid-cities or orbital rings.

>The Last Jedi art?
fuck off nuwars fag

I imagine part of it was budget reasons. Lucas always went on about how he was too creatively restricted so he had to make compromises. Maybe after the aesthetics had been solidified by the OT. A lot of Ralph McQuarrie's concepts are a mixture of old and new with prominent use of stone in his art work or other earthly materials. It would be interesting to see more of what you suggested.

>Had Abaddon
Cool as fuck

We don't serve your kind around here.

That's some Tolkien sounding shit right there. Would've been cool.
Is like I've been saying lately, the OT was great but it did just the right amount of world building it needed, it was focused on Luke's story and not the galaxy. The PT was the one that showed us how life in different planets was, how everything was organized, what the republic and Jedi were like and how they worked, etc.
PT doesn't get the credit it should for it's world building.

>star wars elitism
This shit is the most mainstream overrated franchise in the world. kys

>spend decades building orbital ring
>some drunk pilot lightspeed rams it

Well that's true, Naboo is one of my favorite star wars places desu, and the Starfighter from that planet probably my favorite star wars fighter.

get back in your reylo general you fucking faggot scum.

So go enjoy some underground non basic stuff, flaky.

I love Dough Chiang's work on TPM. It's fresh but still has an aesthetic that jives with the established SW universe.

fuck off cunt

I was going to post this one. I love the concept art from before they knew exactly what star wars was

I used to have this as a desktop background

It's interesting to see what ideas they were playing with.

Here's the original idea for what Alderaan would look like.

Reminds me somewhat of Lucas' THX.

>fly naboo starfighter in atmosphere
>turn a little hard
>tail and aerospikes snap off

that one definitely

>dump ST shit
take your dump on reddit faggot

this looks like a MTG card illustration. MTG block set in space when?

no vehicle in star wars makes any sense

Glorious Naboo steel

Did they make the death star first and ran out of greebles for the star destroyer?

The neimodians were to have a ringworld in rots

That's cut off for some reason. Neat concept.

Wouldve been nice to see that in anh as a glimpse before it explodes

I ain't givin you no tree fiddy

They didn't completely abandon this idea - you see Cato Neimoidia for a split second during Order 66 and can see enormous floating ring-like structures above the ground.

The A-Wing has gotta be my favourite ship design of the whole series. Sleek as fuck.

the sandcrawler is such a great design, really striking. it would've been neat to see a full market like that

It'll happen eventually.
Speaking of Star Wars and MTG, I think the Ravnica block really nailed the concept of a Coruscant-like planet-wide city. The various guilds each with their own functions made the whole thing feel quite real.

Does anyone know the story behind this piece? Is it showing 2 death stars under construction or are those some other type of space station? And if death stars, was that gonna be the plot of ROTJ? Going straight to the capital planet and blowing up 2 death stars in orbit?

Not much because McQuarrie's designs looked better than what was on the screen.

Ryan Church touched on this. And what said.

More or less on the money. I think the original idea was to have Like fighting Vader/the Emperor on the planet while the rebel fleet battled the Death Stars in orbit.

Idea later re-used for the EU where the Imperials built 2 mini death stars in Coruscant's orbit as defences.

One of the old ideas was that the Empire began building two death stars above the capital Had Abbadon. The Imperial fleet guarding the planet is dispersed to find the rebels. So the rebels would attack them taking out the Death Stars and the Imperial leadership. But the Imperial fleet is secretly reinforcing the planet for Sheev's trap, and Luke would fight Vader in the Emperor's lava throne room.

>Idea later re-used for the EU where the Imperials built 2 mini death stars in Coruscant's orbit as defences.

Anyone got the Wookipedia link for this?

Could be Syria if ISIS were dwarves with glowing eyes.

This would later morph into Cato Neimoidia

Am I right in thinking McQuarrie did most of the matte paintings for the original film? This one looks almost exactly the same as the final shot

I was wrong, they weren't defence stations, but "habitation spheres": starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Habitation_sphere

Something like this!?