Name a better sci-fi in the last 10 years

name a better sci-fi in the last 10 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Interstellar
Blade Runner: 2049
Moon

Blade Runner: 2049

Is it actually good? my friend said it was boring to watch

Oblivion

It was shit

Inception
Edge of tomorrow
Predestination
Ape movies
Source code
Fury Road
Dredd
District 9
Wall E
Mr Nobody

BR2049 no contest there

The Last Jedi

Your friends sound like pleb casuals

In what way?

Imagine a mixture of Inception and Independence Day but with next to no action and in your face philosophy.

That's Arrival.

That's a big bean

OK, I will!

What a ridiculous comparison that just shows your extremely limited view on film where the first films that come to mind are fucking Inception and ID

It's not boring at all; but there's no real science in there at all, like most reviews are saying. Also, it has an awful deus ex machina at the end that almost ruins the film. Overall, it's a solid 7/10.

>sci-fi

Oblivion is a Moon's ripoff.

Arrival is on par with Moon in my book
Shane's also good

Arrival's plot makes no sense whatsoever and it hides behind the fact that you can't comprehend non-linear time. So don't come with "lol you don't get it", you don't get it either, it's physically impossible to get it.

District 9 is the best sci-fi since The Matrix.

the phone call?

Moon for me. Arrival's still pretty good. But Arrival's short story it was based on, 'Stories from your life and others' is 10 times better

>no real science
Do you even know what linguistics is? It is the scientific study of language. The whole movie was about the sapir-whorf hypothesis and the two approaches related to that (linguistic relativity and linguistic determinism). You shouldn't comment on things youve no idea about

Only thing I didn't like about the film was the relationship between the two leads.

Was it set up at all? It was like 'oh I just got a flashforward that we're going to be together so let's start hooking up now'.

I never got the impression they had feelings for eachother and I thought this is cool because usually two female / male leads in a mainstream film usually end up together.

And then they fucked it.

Because muh Hollywood has to inject some fast-paced action or tension even in a philosophical movie. The short story that it was based on had nothing of that dumb China plot, that just served to cheapen it in the end.

I never saw the movie but the original short story does an excellent job of making a legible narrative presented in a non-linear chronology, and in playing around with how fucking weird the experience of non-linear time would be to someone. It's not "physically impossible" to get it, maybe it was just a bad adaptation.

To clarify, "Stories of Your Life and Others" is the collection that the actual story is in, which is just called "Story of Your Life." I recommend the entire collection though, it's good shit.

>some old hypothesis (!!!) taken to the extreme of fantasy
>real science

give me a fucking break

its garbage we laughed our ass off at the twist (annoying some people in the audience) and walked out of the movie after the phone call to china. cant believe my buddy got hit with the bill for that piece of shit.

>Interstellar
Retarded soyboy

What does the age of the hypothesis have to do with its validity? The questions it raises continue to captivate and enthrall linguists around the world. I guess you think the theory of relativity has no basis because its so old? Particle theory of matter musnt mean anything either since its so old

It's my favorite movie and the best movie of this decade
Fuck off neckbearded cuck

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

no one calls it hypothesis of relativity

blade runner 2049

this. Outdated bullshit hypothesis stretched to absurd level.

Also, arrival includes the most retarded scene in modern sci fi flicks. Scene which couldve been pure comedy with small change

>i can't translate like that. I have to be there
>you didn't have to, to translate farsi
>because i know farsi
>yeah, that makes sense

*laughtrack*

Itt: dumbfuck Americans

This pasta is part of a recent series of pastas I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger pastas. Along with the BR2049 pasta and to a somewhat lesser extent the Villeneuve pasta, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are pastas designed to make the brainlets feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the brainlet's hand the entire way through until there is next to no buzzwords left to use.

If you didn't already know the empty point of this pasta by the time it starts the second section AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the brainlets I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while reading these pastas because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge meaningless buzzwords. Any clever bait is made so transparent that even the most reddit in the thread will get it. It also removes any reward for reposting or trying to figure out what you just read.

Granted, there is a difference between this pasta and the Villeneuve pasta. I think where Villeneuve pasta was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, this pasta has a brain that it is refusing to let the autist use.

Completely disappointing pasta.

Also
>so that just happened

>"no real science in there at all"

They made that unknown coffee stain language from scratch and the actually hired people to solve it like it's an actual alien language, Stephen Wolfram and his son were the head of the programming and mathematics in the movie and all the programming and calculations you see in it are actual data, not just made up shit. I hope you're aware of who Wolfram is
Here's a good read from Stephen himself blog.stephenwolfram.com/2016/11/quick-how-might-the-alien-spacecraft-work/

Personally, I consider "boring" to be praise in the case of scifi movies if I heard it from most people I know.

I was really enjoying the film up until near the end where it was a mixture of deus ex machina and Hollywood schmaltz. Didn't ruin the movie, but kept it from being one of the greats for me. Reminds me of movies like Interstellar or Sunshine in that regard.

all equations in big bang theory are also correct. What's your point?

Children of Men

released in '06.

I dunno why it gets so much praise on here. The best part of the movie was the language discovery but and that was the smallest portion.

That there is real science being used, unlike you have previously said?
Are you just playing to be dumv here?

Your friend is right, the entire movie is about scientist trying to learn aliens language, and then in the end you have a plot twist which isn't that amazing and worth waiting the entire movie for it. I would give it 5/10

>the entire movie is about scientist trying to learn aliens language
That is just the setting, not the actual story.
The ayylmao's and the science are just the setting in Arrival where the actual story takes place in, the story of Amy Adams character relationship with her daughter and embracing life/death in general.
It is by no means a "hard sci fi" movie about aliens.

The opening and the ending sequences are about their relationship.
All the major scenes are intercut with it.
And even when it's in the present narrative it's either a heavy close up of Amy Adams for half the movie or a camera placement of her characters point of view.

The ayylmaos and the science were only plot devices for the actual narrative of the mother-daughter relationship.

I don't know why you're bothering, if someone thinks scifi movies should be summed up simply via their plot rather than their themes it's a pretty good sign they're not worth discussing these sorts of movies with.

>literally the ship in prometheus
what did hollywood mean by this.

>favorite movie

aren't you ashame?

Man of Steel

>t. brainlet cuck

The Dark Knight.

Yep. Absolute bore and to top it off, a bad film.
Its more about the characters themselves and not the Arrival, as it were.

>Its more about the characters themselves

Yeah that's what good Sci-Fi is. Shit, that's what all good movies are.

He was a good friend.

Too bad the characters and their stories are more uninteresting than fiddling with that lint you get in your bellybutton sometimes.

Tlj

Degenerate neckbeard

Looper

Why you set the bar so low

Space Cop was better than that shit. You know the entire premise behind the plot is flawed and your thought patterns only change while learning new languages if your brain is growing, i.e. while you're a kid, not an old lady.

Ayyy's so fucking advanced that they can travel trought the whole galaxy/universe can't understand our language or primitive as fuck sign language

Yeah, right.

TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNINGT

>deus ex machina
no

Spacecop.

this! saw it in theaters. :D

interstellar

oblivion
interstellar
edge of tomorrow
gravity

off the top of my head. I liked arrival, but i thought it to be about average. Parts of Arrival Seem illogical

Their way of interaction is entirely intentional so humans have to work together to solve what's happening. That’s why there are 12 of across the globe, if they just came to Amy Adams house with a simple instructional word file then there would be no one to help them in 3000 years like they wanted to.

Do you like other Villenööv films? It was my favorite film from 2016

It's a patently true theory though. Hyperbolic in this one of course, but our language does shape is. You would probably call Slaughterhouse-5 fantasy too then?

*us

No one wants to say TFA but c'mon it's up there.

absolute trash of a film
>hello we is octopus
>here is bomb bada-boom
>sorry for bomb
>ok t. octopus
>nice here is time travel for you t. octopus
>now i is a woman in octopus cloud universe
>ok t. octopus

Hard scifi?

"4:44 Last Day on Earth"
"Watchmen"
"Shin Godzilla"
"Okja"
"Contagion"
"The Congress"
"The World's End"

she has a men hairline.

It suffered from the same “last 20 minutes being fucking retarded” as interstellar. Most of it is good but totally ruined at the end

how many languages can you speak fluently?

>an actual still from a Star wars movie
>of a main character, not some extra
>this is not a parody or pisstake
the times we live in

Your friend sounds wise.

Last Jedi
/thread
OP #BTFO

I now remember this film

there's no deux ex machina in the movie. sounds like it was literally 2deep4u.

Kinotur here

it was absolutely fucking aweful 2049 is so much better

happy new years from australia

The actors were all so ugly in that movie

Prometheus

Pic related

ahaha, the chinese fuck literally feeds her his wifes last words through this weirdly concoted expositional piece of dialogue to resolve a seemingly impossible problem
juat because it is somewhat explained through the premise (the sapir whorf is stretched out of proportion) it is still a textbook deus ex machina, albeit not as ridiculous as that in interstellar

the movie had promise, had a great premise, but the director, possibly due to studio pressure, screw it up massively
BR 2049 is a much better film while still remaining quite mediocre (not unlike the first one)

>calls someone out on their intelligence

It's "Deus" ex machina by the way.

>Interstellar

I came here to mock anyone who posted this

She was already in the loop by the time she talked to the aliens. The dice were all cast at that point. She would hook up with him. Their kid would die and they would break up.