Quidditch Criticism

>I hear constantly: Name another "sport" where one team can have a massive lead the entire time, but still loses after performing a single feat.

Billiards. You can knock in every one of your balls and your opponent hasn't scored a single point. You are down to the final 8 Ball and scratch. The opponent wins. Case closed. Quidditch is a real sport. Get over it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch_(sport)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not the problem. The problem is that you have a game that has THE HERO HARRY POTTER WHO SINGLE-HANDENDLY WINS THE WHOLE EVENT and some other ploobs. It's a lazy victory just like the HOWEVER bullshit.
H A C K
F R A U D

Rowling has stated before that she hates sports, and it shows. Only someone who gives absolutely zero fucks about team sports could have come up with a game as lopsided and unpredictable as Quidditch.

They should've stressed the point that, in most games, the snitch isn't even caught and the normal goals usually win the game. But iirc the game doesn't even end till the snitch is caught...

catching the golden snatch does seem like hard work.

That's the thing, there's no timer in Quidditch. Games could last for days or be over in a few minutes. There aren't even breaks afaik.

In the first book it was said there was a game that lasted months or something. It really should've been a timed sport.

Games that last months? How did Rowling explain this? This sounds shit for the players, shit for the audience, shit for the school, who would want that?

A school sport that would encourage students miss entire semesters to finish a single game. Seems logical

Boxing, you can lose 11 rounds and still knock the guy out in the 12th.

I don't care so much that rules of Quidditch are stupid. I care that no team ever adapts their strategy to match them. Offense doesn't matter Defense doesn't matter. Murdering the fuck out of their Seeker matter. Play the game accordingly.

I think that was a professional game, I doubt teachers would be willing to deal with 24 hour games at a school, either through calling time or pausing and restarting naother day.

Except that's an individual sport, not a team sport (and honestly billiards is more a game than a sport, but let's not get into that).

In Quidditch, you could get rid of all but one player from each team and the result would be the same 99% of the time. It's a fucking terrible game.

This has happened with cricket in real life.

Except if you took away your defense to fuck with their seeker, the other team could just rack up 10 points at a time with regular goals.

Qudditich is the sort of sport someone who was never played or watched sport would conceive.
It exists to make Harry the most valuable player on the team. No consideration was given to rules or balance.

So, how come the 11 year olds don't get killed when a cannonball smashes them in the side of the skull and they fall 500 feet off their brooms?

Why wasn't there a quiditch B league or something? For the most popular sport in the wizard world you'd think the students that weren't picked to be on the team would be passionate enough to form their teams and compete in self regulated tournaments.

Do people call billiards a sport?

At a certain level most things become a sport.

We call billiards "pool" over here.

Is Billiards called "pool" anywhere else than in my country?

I guess in the same way people call darts or bowling a sport.

8 ball scratch adds tension to games where the loser would otherwise be stomped.

Somebody post the pasta so I can leave this thread

Oh no, not a 10 point a deficit!
How will we ever recover?
Answer: Who cares.
If they can't catch the Snitch because their Seeker is out of the match then they can't ever end the game, even if they're up by millions. Eventually you'll catch up, and then afterwards you'll win.

No you don't. Don't lie.
Billiards and pool are completely different games.

even presenting and showcasing Billiards, Bowling, and Darts on television they're called games while sports games are called sport matches/sport games on channels here in Canada.

Are they? What's pool? post it please

Well first off, you can't literally murder a player.

Secondly, the biggest quidditch match in the series establishes that losing despite catching the snitch is something that happens. If one team doesn't have defense, the point deficit would be huge by the time the snitch was caught.

WELL DONE WELL DONE, HOWEVER...

user is wrong, "pool" and "pocket billiards" are used interchangeably as one of the subsets of billiard sports.

>"No!"

Bitching about Quidditch is small potatoes. The entire Harry Potter universe is a fucked up joke and I could rant about it all day because college girls and morons think its good fiction

You are retarded holy shit.

those balls are specially enchanted to not do exactly that thing. same with the big red Quaffle ball and the Snitch. they're all charmed to stay within certain boundaries.

all of these admittedly reasonable questions are answered in "Quidditch Through the Ages" which is one of those defictionalized books that got released baxk in the day.

>he thinks "good fiction" and "tight worldbuilding" are synonyms

So they are the same game worldwide? Thanks user, I thought my country was retarted for calling it pool

There's no fucking rules on stopping a game when a player is injured.
And for some reason they can't just instantly fix broken bones, so the other team's shit out of luck when their seeker "accidentally" falls off a broom and breaks his legs.

They're not, but Harry Potter fails at both.

IIRC Rowling responded to a fan question about Quidditch that she likes how fucked up the game turned out to be because it pisses men off or something.

>Well first off, you can't literally murder a player.
Sure you can? Why not?
At the very least you can put them in the hospital.
>Secondly, the biggest quidditch match in the series establishes that losing despite catching the snitch is something that happens.
That would only ever happen if A) there was a forfeit, and B) the opposing Seeker was for some one reason dumb enough to get after snitch when down by more than 150. Neither is a serious possibility when there's anything on the line.

>If one team doesn't have defense, the point deficit would be huge by the time the snitch was caught.
Again, so to make it clearer: If your team is down in point you just don't chase at all. You use your Seeker as a secondary Goalie or whatever instead. If they don't have a seeker they can't end at all, but if you still have a Seeker you can wait for however long it takes until you've caught up.

>And for some reason they can't just instantly fix broken bones
They actually can, but Lockheart was a fucking hack.

this. Lockhart was a fucking dumbass. If a spell like "Oculus Reparo" exists to fix glasses, then its reasonable to guess that a similar spell for broken bones exists, even thought they used that Bone Growing Juice on Harry.

Magical creature fights seem like a more interesting sport.

or some kind of Capture-The-Flag type game but with magic.

I'd say magic dueling is the only serious sport, but from how it was presented in the movies at least, all you really ever do is wave your arms around like a spastic.

The problem is the snitch is totally unrelated to the actual game.
Harry doesn't have to do anything but sit on his ass, and pay for a broom that's faster than the other guys.

>lopsided
>unpredictable
This retard is allowed to have opinions on Sup Forums

Could you imagine having to commentate on the two autists at the complete opposite side of the action searching for a tiny nearly invisible thing?

HP is a series of deus ex machinas and self insertions. Piece of shit series of bullshit books that became a fad due to good marketing, and people are either too stupid to realize it's crap, or too embarrassed to admit.

WHY HAS NOBODY POSTED IT YET?

It's kinda weird they don't use standardized broomsticks, at least for the Hogwart's matches. Imagine a game of American football where only one side got helmets.

>Sure you can? Why not?
>At the very least you can put them in the hospital.
Surely there are penalties and ejections. Obviously dirty play happens without getting called, but we know for a fact there are referees, so they have to be there for something. I'm pretty sure you can't (according to the rules) attack other players with anything except the bludgeons(?). You can't hit them directly with the bats, for instance.

Hell look at car racing. In most leagues cars are standardized as much as possible so that racers come down to who is the better driver.

So why wouldn't you just pelt the opposition seeker with bludgeons until they go off injured?

I'd rather take a billiard ball to the testicles than continue to discuss one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Reminder that Quidditch, as opposed to Billiards, is currently the most autistic sports out there

It's a fun book about magic for children

Nice input

>*inhales*

>british """"""""""""""""""""""""sports""""""""""""""""""""""""

*inhales*

>This has happened with cricket in real life.
Bullshit, the longest cricket match was a test match that was barely longer than a week.

Those are Americans, bro. The Silicon Valley Skrewts.

There is nothing more cringe than adults who unironically LARP quidditch games. Fucking Calvinball is a better fictional sport than quidditch, and that game was just a running joke. I know we harp on a lot about how lame and overrated the whole series is, but the magic world of Harry Potter is just so dull and uncreative that it bears repeating.

>He's never heard of Jugger.

THANK YOU BASED DULLPOSTER

Well they try, but it's not as simple as "just do it."

Isn't it suppose to be that each point through the hoops goes towards the end of year House points but who ever grabs the snitch gets the automatic 150 points or whatever it is and then the game wins and it's over?

Whoever has the most points at the end of the match wins, and those points also go towards the house cup iirc.

The house cup itself was disregarded completely after prisoner of azkaban though, and the points are hardly detailed at all besides a few comments and of course the dumbledore points given out to Harry at the end of the year.

>People that hate Snooker/Billiards
How to spot a pleb at 20 paces. It's the ultimate comfy kino sport.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch_(sport)

> Besides the seeker who is off-pitch, the six players are required to abide by the gender rule, which states that a team may have a maximum of four players who identify as the same gender, excluding the seeker,[9] making quidditch one of the few sports that not only offers a co-ed environment but an open community to those who do not identify with the gender binary.[10]

What the fucking hell

lmao what the fuck

So just go all male and tell a few people to say that they identify as female. If the cuck referees question it the whole thing falls apart.

Pretty much, yeah.
>making quidditch one of the few sports where females can't compete at all.
Then again it's a universe where body swap potions exist so it's probably all a moot point anyway.

>So just go all male
And lose.
When the brooms do all the work, women being lighter makes them faster and more agile.

>Quidditch is a real sport. Get over it.
what's it like to be a complete fucking mongoloid?

Ah, a Harry Potter thread. I used to find these exciting because it isn’t discussed here much. HP has always been my favorite franchise but now it makes me feel a little uncomfortable. I’ve really got into become a politics junkie these past couple years (I guess who hasn’t with these unprecedented times) and I can’t help but see HP in a different light now. It’s serious and not a joke. The parallels between a certain someone and a certain president are uncanny.

You don't keep score in billiards.

That's not how professional billiards is scored

0/10

Harry Potter came out 20 years before your dear leader was elected, user. Don’t be so persecuted.

They only had to use the juice because Lockhart got the spell wrong and removed the bones instead of fixing them. I'm pretty sure the school nurse says something along the lines of a broken bone being an easy fix.

I'd rather watch Blitzball matches from FF10 than Quidditch

part of winning the cup isn't how many matches you won, but how many points you scored overall
therefore, it's better to catch the snitch and lose by a small margin than to wait for your team to catch up and possibly lose by a larger margin

it's some bullshit old UK soccer used to do

Holy fuck you’re trolling right? Women are slow as fuck and as agile as a brick, they simply can’t compete with men physically

>Quidditch is a real sport
Magic is real too!

But that’s because there’s only like 6 matches a year, so they have to use a dumb decider like that.

Nigger just imagine the most pleb sport invented with cricket

>on your left

>dumb decider like that
I mean the entire sport is shit yeah, but at least it differentiates between a narrow victory and a shut out

I doubt you can magic away a concussion

Sure. But if they had more than 4 teams or played other schools there could be a better sense of it. No other team sport only plays 3 matches a year.

Seriously, Quidditch is supposed to be such a big part of Hogwarts, but it’s AT MOST 6 Saturdays a year of the 9 months they’re at school.

Fuck quidditch. Why aren't we discussing the fact that those selfish fucks literally have the ability to cure cancer

it is 6 total league matches, and like I said, yes the entire sport is dumb

I remember in the Quidditch match at the beginning of the seventh book one of the teams lost because they caught the snitch but were more than 150 points behind, and the snitch gives whoever catches it 150 points and ends the game. If catching it would make them lose, then why the hell did the seeker catch it? You'd think they'd at least glance at the score to see if they should even bother chasing it.

Harry Potter is for faggots. we shouldn't allow this kind of shit to fly here fellow anons.

quiddich is not a real sport because magic is not real and people cannot fly on broomsticks

oh user. if you only knew.

But in Billiards that's YOUR MISTAKE. Your opponent can't just sink one magic ball that forces you to instaloss.

I think that was in book 4. The Bulgarian player wanted to end the game "with dignity on his own terms" or some shit.

Where did they even get this shit? The Holyhead Harpies is an in-canon all-girls team.