I'm sorry but come the fuck on

I'm sorry but come the fuck on
>New character introduced at the end of the series
>Starts dating the main character and taking up a lot of screentime and focus.
>Turns out she's also the child of the antagonist and turns into a female version of him
>Finale is based on either saving her or her sacrificing herself

This is said often about many things, but this is truly fanfic tier writing.

When we heard Jack was coming back, no one thought "I cant wait to see Jack fall in love and have the last 10 eps revolve around his oc love interest"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1WNNPvrkY&t=68
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm still amused that her design is nothing more than a black haired Ilana from Symbiotic Titan. Same voice and everything.

She did basically take over the show to its detriment, yes.

>When we heard Jack was coming back, no one thought "I cant wait to see Jack fall in love and have the last 10 eps revolve around his oc love interest"

This really.
Even if you like Ashi, even if you like the relationship, is this the story you waited years to see?

It's almost inspiring how every episode she has starred in would have easily been better without her.

>Everyone says the opening episodes were strong, the opening episodes didn't heavily focus on Ashi as a love interest.

Really activates them Almonds

Should have called it Ashi: Daughter of Aku and cut out all the boring Jack parts.

Should have called it The Ashi Show and cut out all the the boring entertaining parts

God, you people are salty over this. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Wew lad
>Using the dont like it dont watch it fallacy
>2017

What are you gay?
I wait years for this so Im going to watch it. If its shit, and it has been, I'm going to criticise it. Fuck off.

It's not a fallacy it's common sense. You're actually using the sunk cost fallacy right now.

Although it's a bit late now so whatever

>first three episodes are absolutely great and some of the greatest animation ever made
>decides to jump off a cliff after in quality

Yeah, when I wanted closure on Samurai Jack, I totally wanted some babboon faced new OC who can beat an army with her bare hands and not, you know, Samurai Jack.

You just dont want to hear people dislike a show you like. I'm not gonna stop watching something at the drop of a dime, and Im not going to not criticise it just cause you like it.

Yes heaven forbid a new story introduce a new character. I know how change upsets your autism.

>totally wanted some babboon faced new OC who can beat an army with her bare hands
You're complaining she did something Jack does nearly every episode. All you idiots are complaining that this female character exist rather than focusing on Jack's struggle.

Read your posts before you submit them. And also
>I'm not gonna stop watching something at the drop of a dime
consider maturing. You're the reason zombie shows exist and new concepts never get picked up and never last more than two seasons when they do.

The same kind of fans who killed Genddy's former work come to masquerade as former Genddy fans who want to kill his current work. How fitting.

>projecting this hard
>muh vagina defense

Remember when Jack beat an army for the dogs? He used traps, weapons and actual equipment, not just ran into them with arms outstreched like a kid playing superman,

You have to be retarded to not see how introducing a new star of the show in the last ten episodes of a 5 season long show is a bad move.

Yeah, it sucks, but S5 wasn't good from the start.

What are you talking about. I want to see the end of the series, even if its been garbage, I want to see how it ends.I'm not making sure Simpsons or Spongebob stay on the air forever, I'm watching the ending of one of my favourite tv shows.

Again, I'm not going to stop watching or stop criticising its problems cause you're a frail little boy who cant handle seeing people dislike the way its been handled.

To use your own logic; don't like seeing criticism? Dont come to Sup Forums then

I think Ashi is proof that Sup Forums wasn't just mad that Korra was a lesbian when her relationship with Asami came out of nowhere

This.
You can complain all you want but people would still be upset if Jack did it and not Ashi. It was lame.

And it was fucking amazing, not like that bullshit in S5.

Thats a really good point. I don't care that Korra was a butch dyke, she certainly fit the bill for one, it was how the relationship was forced in the last few eps that sucked.

Guess what? Same thing happened here. It may be a straight relationship thats been forced in the last few eps of a show, but it still sucks

Jack isn't half demon wizard.

She didnt do anything demon wizard-y, she just flailed her arms

Thats the point, we wanted to see Samurai Jack being about Samurai Jack and not a half demon wizard. Everything after episode 3 is literally an ashi episode and Jack gets reduced to a supporting character in his own fucking show.

>He used traps, weapons and actual equipment, not just ran into them with arms outstreched like a kid playing superman

I mean, except all the times he beat a bot army with berserker tactics, like in the beginning of Jump Good, or when he used a stick, like in Samurai vs. Samurai. Prolly helps Ashi that she's got Aku juice too, but hey, it's not the first time we've seen a basic human able to beat bots armies, even bare-handed.

The SHOW it! Show a good fight! Not a character running into them with outstreched arms.

At the very least ashi should have been doing some obviously superhuman stuff, like ripping out boulders and throwing on them or firing Aku eye beams.

Also, Jack never defeated a robot army barehanded, stop trying to slide.

>sunk cost fallacy
We're talking about watching a 30 minute show, not multi-billion dollar invesments.

>Also, Jack never defeated a robot army barehanded, stop trying to slide.

No, but the Scotsman and his wife did, especially his wife.

Like 2 seconds of the fight have Ashi bullrushing enemies, and she does lift boulder-sized chunks of stone. More than once, actually.

Not an army. And even there you see the scotsman use his sword and machine gun and actually fight not just run into them and hope they magically die before you.

Like many people, I don’t like the Jack/Ashi romance. Firstly I think it’s creepy since she basically has the mindset of a child (literally the first Jashi moment is Jack telling her a bedtime story his parents told him as a child) and has been brainwashed by an evil cult all her life, meanwhile he has decades and decades of world experience (yes he’s a relationship novice too, but still it feels like there’s a massive social power imbalance here). Secondly I don’t think it has done well, it’s been really silly and cringey so far. Thirdly I don’t think it really makes sense. Ashi has just realized that she knows nothing about the world and all her former core beliefs are lies – she needs someone to teach her new values and show her the truth. Jack (at least a few episodes ago) had lost any hope of fixing the evil that is Aku and felt that all his struggles were meaningless – he needs someone to show him he has a meaningful positive impact on the world even if he hasn’t accomplished his main goal yet. That lends itself well to a mentor/student relationship or maybe a father/surrogate daughter relationship, Jack can teach Ashi and have proof right in front of him that he’s making someone’s life better. To me those are more interesting angles to explore than “okay, let’s kiss!” which is basically all we’ve gotten out of the romance angle. And I don’t hate romance plots, but I don’t like them when they go nowhere or feel unnecessary. And it sort of feels like they compromised character arcs to try fit the romance – they spent multiple episodes building up Jack’s inner demons and Ashi’s cult indoctrination and then kinda randomly decided that those problems were now fixed.

>Jack gets to a time portal
>Aku drags him out and destroys it in front of him
>Jack gets angry and kills an innocent person that Aku corrupted
>realizes what he's done and loses the sword

>Jack gets to the Guardian's time portal
>Aku has already destroyed it
>Jack gets angry at Aku, but can't fight against Ashi when Aku changes her into a monster

Was there any reason this relationship had to be a romance? I think that this congruity would have been more meaningful if they played up the similarities between these two encounters.

He even loses the sword both times.

The Scotsman's wife destroying an entire army for comedy is a stark difference from Ashi killing an entire army in order to prevent Jack from dying before he finishes his spiritual awakening.

The celtic demons were an army, literally one too big for the Scotsman and Jack combined. The wife beats them all bare-handed. Scotsman always uses brawling in his bot fights, in his introductory ep he fucking let's them bite him so he can smash more at once. Brawling combat is literally nothing new in Jack.

>like most people

Please don't try and assert your head canon as reality, no polls agree with you. It's fine not to like something, but don't try to reinforce your opinion with a made-up majority.

>Jack telling her a bedtime story his parents told him as a child) and has been brainwashed by an evil cult all her life,

And it literally doesnt matter because after episode 4 she turns into a perfect lovey-dovey, socially and mentally well-adjusted waifu instead of staying an autistic lunatic hellspawn trained only to kill

>And it sort of feels like they compromised character arcs to try fit the romance – they spent multiple episodes building up Jack’s inner demons and Ashi’s cult indoctrination and then kinda randomly decided that those problems were now fixed.

This. In one moment they are desperate, broken people and in the next they are just a couple on honeymoon.

I honestly expected some big twist there. Like ashi getting corrupted, screams KILL ME and Jack just goes "k" and bisects her with a singe cut then WACHAAA. It would have been one hell of a shock ending.

I didn't say most people.

>The celtic demons were an army, literally one too big for the Scotsman and Jack combined. The wife beats them all bare-handed. Scotsman always uses brawling in his bot fights, in his introductory ep he fucking let's them bite him so he can smash more at once. Brawling combat is literally nothing new in Jack.

>trying to defend ashi running into a huge army barehanded this hard

No matter what you try, nothing similar has ever happened in Samurai Jack

>Please don't try and assert your head canon as reality, no polls agree with you. It's fine not to like something, but don't try to reinforce your opinion with a made-up majority.

It is really that much of a shocker that most people watch Samurai Jack for Samurai Jack and not for Miss Monkeyface? She is a poochie tier plot tumor and only waifufags like her.

>The celtic demons were an army, literally one too big for the Scotsman and Jack combined. The wife beats them all bare-handed.

As a joke. He calls her fat and she beats up his entire army. This is after a prolonged segment of her continually complaining about everything.

The whole episode lost its serious tone from the moment the wife was introduced, for that matter. Jack and the Scotsman are talking about how it'll be an honor to die at each other's sides and she's just bitching at them in the background.

That is not what a sunk cost is. You are as stupid as they come. Read a fucking economy book instead of watching cartoons. Cunt.

>>Jack gets angry and kills an innocent person that Aku corrupted
Three babby goats.

Right, I meant innocent goats.

Actually she's based on Genndy's childhood action packed wet dream about his crush.

Did the nigga say 'most', user?

Did he?

>"You can’t ask someone else’s opinions on your story, because they don’t know your story."
ITT: jaded cynics

Right, and all the times other characters have punched robots to death or beaten them to bits with bamboo shoots, those never happened or somehow magically don't count because they don't fit your argument.

Anti critique fags like this user are the reason the animation industry is in the poor state it is today. Remember that folks!

To be honest, I still think Samurai Jack is great. The only reason I'm complaining is because I think it's so good and it feels like it became a bit less so towards the end.

After Episode 3, I can't recall any of those neat visuals like Jack covered in blood, the winter background in the second DoA fight, the sparks/fireflies lighting up a dark room in Episode 2, etc.

And there's been a lot more dialogue, too, which I suppose is necessary since Ashi needs to be developed. Then again, Jack had his whole history at the beginning of the series told with very few words being spoken, so who knows.

I didn't bring those up? I was just pointing out that wasn't a good example to use. I'm not denying Jack killing all of those robots with bamboo was weird.

Korrasami as much as I hate it still had more chemistry than Jashi lets be real with ourselves.

>If you don't like it, don't watch it.

How am I supposed to know how I feel about it if I don't watch it? And what kind of writer puts their stuff out without expecting criticism? Genndy isn't going to make any less money or be any less successful of a person just because some people find flaw in his narrative.

Really makes that tagline, "Jack's Back", seem like a fucking joke.

And Ashi ramming the army with its leader wasn't meant to be funny?

Maybe? It just feels out of place for a serious fight, I guess. The orcs aren't supposed to be a Minions of Set kind of enemy, I know, but it still feels a little jarring to just see her plow through them all like that.

I guess the fight wasn't supposed to be THAT serious since Ashi doesn't even get hurt by them and there were those cuts between the fight and Jack slowly making tea.

It wasnt? The fuck are you even trying to achieve here? Trying to defend that scene is pure desperation.

I think the joke was meant to be the contrast between Ashi's autismo rage and Jack's calm tea ceremony. Although the funniest part of that whole bit was
>Hold it! Where do you think you're going?
>Up the mountain to kill the samurai, what's it to you?
And then Ashi's "I'm going to stop you" killed it and made me cringe.

I don't care

I DON'T CAAAAAAAAARE youtube.com/watch?v=Zu1WNNPvrkY&t=68

She's so fucking ugly from the side.

ITT: we cry about our headcanons

No its not. Animation is expensive and relies on merchandise to make back its profits. Shut the fuck up.

I swear to God, Sup Forums. Ashi is handled as well as it can be. I don't get why you're so goddamn angry over something like this. She presents Jack a consequence of his actions by being a relative parallel to him and provides many alternate paths in the arc of ten episodes. No, I don't care about how you would have done it because you wouldn't have done it as good as the ten episodes set it up.

I wouldn't call all this salty whining criticism, compadr-o

I suppose it's not what I expected, and conceptually it does sound weird and awkward, but Season 5 is inherently different from the others in the first place in that it was intended to end the series and tell one coherent story in 10 episodes instead of an individual story per episode. In execution, I don't mind her or the romance at all because it was teased and built to well enough given their time frame.

As for being Aku's daughter, after some thought, I think it's actually really thematically smart:
>After 50 years, Jack's a hallucinating, psychotic wreck obsessed with past failures on a next-level scale
>He is within an inch of committing suicide when the season begins
>Suddenly, the battle with the 7 Daughters, the first that has given him trouble in decades, gives him some positive flashbacks and helps him persevere
>Meeting Ashi and interacting with her out of guilt for murdering her sisters is what helps him get out of his isolation
>Ashi being shown the evils of Aku and learning of the good and hope he has brought to the world leads to her convincing him NOT to kill himself and eventually get his hope (and sword) back
>The season, regardless of if Jack and/or Ashi survive, will likely have a happy ending in which Aku is defeated
>Aku absent-mindedly getting that cult leader pregnant will be directly responsible for his defeat; if he hadn't done that, Jack would've just killed himself

Here's a no brainer... how about not do a love story in the first place?

>>Aku absent-mindedly getting that cult leader pregnant will be directly responsible for his defeat; if he hadn't done that, Jack would've just killed himself
I actually dont like that. Feels like a victory wasnt earned

You should go back in time and kill genndy's childhood crush to make sure ashi is never concieved in his mind

daughterfag detected

k

I think that since the main progression of the season is that Jack has lost hope and he meets somebody that is able to convince him that hope still exists, the fact that Aku's own essence instilled that hope in the Samurai is pretty interesting.

Aku is very impulsive and does things on feeling rather than thought most of the time, since he's just evil given sentience. Just like how Jack is virtuous to a fault, leading him to crippling guilt, Aku is evil to a fault, preventing his victory in the original series multiple times to have a more grand victory or to just be a dick to some innocents; even at the very end of episode 9, Aku stops Ashi from killing Jack just so he can have the victory of wielding the sword in front of the Samurai again. This contrasts how blah he is about everything at the beginning of the season.

The season is about Jack & Aku being at the end of their respective ropes and rebounding to their original states for a final battle, with each other being the reason why in one way or another.

It's not perfect, but the more I think about the season, the more I notice subtext within Jack's arc.

>When we heard Jack was coming back, no one thought "I cant wait to see Jack fall in love and have the last 10 eps revolve around his oc love interest"

>THIS WASN'T *MY* IDEA HOW DARE GENNDY

Your tantrum is delicious

Wtf is absolutely fucking HATE Ashi now

Stop being autistic.

When people wanted Jack to come back, when they saw the advertising, no one wanted a love story. Thats a genre the series wasnt focused on before, yet now is.

Is that what you wait for all these years? A new character to steal the spotlight, seduce Jack and be revealed to be Aku's secret daughter?
If it was you'd find plenty of stories like that on FanFiction, I'm not even joking.

It has been 13 years, obviously this story was not going to be the same sort of story that would have been made back then, you should have been prepared for that.

This scene should have happened before chapter 8

No cared cared about it being different. Hell, most were looking forward to it being a bit darker the the OG series.

They didnt want a cliche romcom tho.

13 YEARS, MAN. GENNDY HAS CHANGED, THE AUDIENCE HAS CHANGED, EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED, YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT IT WASN"T GOING TO BE MORE OF THE SAME.

im just watching it for the fight scenes user
last ep was really cool, i really like fallen ashys design and it looked really good in motion

That's just it though. In the end all you were expecting was the same show but with blood and swears, but it has been too long, it was never going to happen that way after all this time.

It is not unreasonable to expect the series to maintain the tone it used to have.
Even if it changed, if it was a positive change I wouldnt mind.

But its not. I dont hate change, I hate shit writing. Fuck off.

Why isn't it going to be the same? Care to explain that without sperging out about it being 13 years?

Its not hard to write something in the same vein as the original. Tell how TIME made it so SJ just HAD to be a boring romance story now.

Each Episode Develops Ashi and Jack's Relationship further if anyone noticed ....
>Episodes 1-3: Both Enemies and Strangers
>Episode 4: Enemy is now one-sided on Ashi's part.
>Episode 5: Acquaintances
>Episode 6: Friends
>Episode 7: Close Friends
>Episode 8: Sexual Tension is now rising
>Episode 9: Both want to pursue a romantic relationship, but one is afraid to commit (because Jack is afraid of losing her to Aku)
>Episode 10: Presumably when they become a couple officially with Aku out of the way.

>my opinion is fact
>I don't like it, therefore it's shit
trying to argue with you people feels like taking bait

>Durr get a lot of this faggot thinking season 5 of Samurai Jack would be Season 5 of Samurai JAck

Ah yes, just want I wanted out of ten new eps of Samurai Jack

Ah yes, absolutely nothing else happened between these episodes.

The original series had a pretty fucking diverse vein, m8. The only consistent aspect were the disconnected, self contained chapters, so yeah, changing that for an overarching plot might lead to a different product.

You got that the opposite way man. The fact you just used the "Opinion is fact" non-argument reddit users use proves it. Ofcourse its my fucking opinion, I wouldnt think it if it wasn't. And ofcourse I think I'm right, what kind of beta fucktard goes around thinking they're wrong?

Let me lay it out for you again.

I don't change change. I hate THIS change. THIS change to be a romantic sitcom focusing on a new character was a bad way to end a series.
Its execution is rushed, plots have been abandoned for it, and its made a shoddy final season. It didnt have to be the same, though it could have been, but it had to be good.

Get a load of this autist trowing a bitchfit because he can't deal when things deviate from what he expected

jesus christ you people are really overblowing the "romance" angle

Ladies and gentlemen, the average intelligence of Ashifags.

"Dont like it dont watch" and "Thats just your opinion!!" both used, in 2017, in the same thread.

Welcome to Comblr

This user clearly lays out how we havent and hes defending it.

I think I'd actually feel more for Ashi if they just skipped episode 8 altogether. The campfire talk in episode 9 was much more in tune with how I imagined their relationship to play out. Subtle and comfy.

Doesn't help that episode 8 was so clearly meant to be jarring and divisive among the fandom, and I suppose it was a sort of "breather" episode before episode 9 started the endgame plot. but it really ruined any investment I had in Ashi's growth as a character.

>Y-you just dont like it cause its different!! If somethings different that means its GOOD

>I don't change change. I hate THIS change. THIS change to be a romantic sitcom focusing on a new character was a bad way to end a series.
>Its execution is rushed, plots have been abandoned for it, and its made a shoddy final season. It didnt have to be the same, though it could have been, but it had to be good.
I 100% agree with this reasoning and sentiment, outside of the fact that I think the Season has been good.

I won't pretend the first 3 episodes don't smoke 4-9 as a whole, but I wouldn't call any individual episode "bad". The closest is 5, which still has the Scotsman/Aku scene to fall back on to stop it from getting there, not to mention some decent action moments and some neat visuals.

The original series had some 6/10s in there too, and a couple legitimately bad ones. It doesn't excuse faults of S5, but it's reasonable that Genndy's output is about the same in terms of quality even if some approaches are different.

Stop throwing your tantrum on an imageboard.
>of course everyone thinks their opinion is right
It also makes you a fucking idiot. It's like you actually want people to think you're autistic

Yeah, but you're acting like there's been nothing BUT romance, like Samurai Jack has stopped being an action/adventure series and is now a romantic sitcom.

Cameos and nods from Jack's previous encounters, ooooh.

Ghost Samurai was fucking nothing, Jack's first kills weren't actually the daughers of Aku, Guardian gets nothing, Scotsman gets half an episode and maybe some scenes in the finale.

You're a special kind of retarded