Microsoft Didn't Want The Zune In Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

comicbook.com/marvel/2017/05/16/zune-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2/

Man, Microsoft is no fun.

>Of course, we all know that the Zune was a huge flop, so it's humorous to us, the audience. Funny enough, during James Gunn's recent Facebook Q&A, the filmmaker said that he reached out to Microsoft about putting the Zune in the film and the company informed it was unhappy that the Zune was being used in a disparaging manner.

>"Peter Quill almost ignores Baby Groot throughout the entire movie. This is important," Gunn said. "I think that Peter Quill is, in many ways, a complete absent father to this son that they have onboard. I think Baby Groot's situation is the opposite of mine. I had six kids in my family and two parents. Baby Groot is one kid with many parents. And so, I think at the end of the film, Peter Quill gets this Zune from Yondu, and he sits down to play it. And he's going to have a self-reflective moment for himself -- like he did at the end of the first movie with his mother. The first movie is about mothers. The second movie is about fathers. And as he starts to listen to the music. Instead of it being a moment that is selfish, Baby Groot crawls into his lap, and as we see Peter Quill looking down at Baby Groot, we see a father's love for his son. And it is a very unselfish moment on the part of Peter Quill. A moment that was completely about him and his relationship to his father, now becomes about his son and passing it on to the next generation and being a part of that. And that's why that moment is so important to me in the movie, and why it is so important to the development of Peter Quill."

Too bad. The iPod gets enough shilling and there aren't any other well-known Mp3 players in the market.

>Zune is a misfit

Sounds right for the GoG.

The irony is that I'm sure Zunes are selling for insane prices on eBay now because of it being in a blockbuster movie. Walkmans shot up in prices after the first. If Microsoft was cool they'd make a short limited run of them and have all the guardians 2 songs preloaded on it

Which Zune appeared in the movie?

I enjoyed my Zune, but I had 2 break within a few years of each other and ended up just getting an iPod. Had the thing for like 7 years now and it's still trucking.

> user on a cantonese image board has more
brains than the niggers who run microsoft's
publicity

Not surprised, really

It takes time and resources to gear up a factory to churn them out.

I lost my father at a young age. I was a troubled adolescent who listened to loud music, but I wasn't a total idiot and I found time to reflect. And when this scene happened in the movie I knew exactly what Gunn was doing, because I've done the very same with my own son. Things that for years I associated selfishly with myself and my father I now associate with my son, and all the fathers and sons who have ever lived and ever will live.

Gunn's alright.

Zune HD was better than any ipod. I pods are only good for nigger music.

You probably listened to music to block out the pain of your own impotency like Baby Groot did at the start of the movie and got a bit snippy when something interrupted your sonic zen and reminded you of just how broken and powerless you actually were at the time.

The Zune was a quality MP3 player. It just released at the wrong time.

>Baby Groot crawls into his lap, and as we see Peter Quill looking down at Baby Groot, we see a father's love for his son.

Jesus is this shit really in the movie? He's an alien tree monster.

They could just rebrand the hundreds they couldn't sell that they have sitting in warehouses

He's adorable. I'm sorry your parents didn't love you.

The Guardians are a family. A big part of the movie is Rocket trying to decide if he deserves to have friends and ultimately deciding that it's worth letting people get close despite the risk if you truly care about them.

Who even owns a Zune in this day and age?

Hell, who owned a Zune before?

Zune HD was in fact better in every regard, didn't require iTunes, and was a comparable price for a more powerful mp3 player. Not to mention it just simply looked better. That glass screen was gorgeous.

a friend owned one, lasted a hella lot of time.

we used to watch naruto eps on it!

I do, own a Zune HD bought in 2009 off eBay because they never planned on releasing it in Europe despite having drivers and the Zune Media player translated in Dutch and many other European languages.

Battery still lasts me a week.

>people stil using dedicated portable media devices

It's called a smartphone grandpa.

that's the joke friendo

Jeez Microsoft, stop being such a killjoy.

Still I praise Gunn for not playing it safe and actually having the balls to break Star-Lord's Walk-Man which is pretty much the symbol of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and that Marvel Entertainment (I'm looking at you Bendis) is trying to ride the tail-coats off.

Who the fuck has an iPod when smart phones exist?

I had one, my dad was super into electronics so when it flopped he scooped one up, it's actually pretty nice with its fm radio but it just couldn't compete with apple

I had literally never even seen a zune before
I think I heard them mentioned like once or twice but never even seen an ad for one

I still have my old Zune 30. The very same turd brown one that Quill has in fact.

I had a Gen 1 Zune that I got in highschool until last year when the sound finally died. It was a brick but man was it built to last.

I got one in highschool. It's been crammed somewhere in my dresser for like 8 years now.
>dat proprietary USB output
>dat iTunes ripoff of media player
>dat lack of .ogg and .flac support
A smartphone is just better in every way.

Microsoft should take advantage of that GotG fame and bring the Zune back.

Fuck you, I can't fit my 20k+ songs on a smartphone

You don't understand business man. Warehousing cost money. They are all in a landfill or scrap by now.

>he's an alien tree monster.

and you're a faggot, what's your point?

Family doesn't care what you are, not if they love you for who you are.

If James Gunn approached them back a few years ago when writing the movie, they'd have plenty of time to make a short run by now. Hell they could even make better ones.

I had a Philips Gogear.
It was shit, it was worst than shit, it was awful, it made me download his shitty media player in my computer, a total itunes rip off, it was also shit.

My dad was a big fan and owned several
Over the years because of MS's mismanagement he's transitioned over to having an iPhone and Mac

The original script for Toy Story had Barbie rescuing Buzz and Woody from Sid. Matel refused to allow it and ended up practically begging to be in Toy Story 2.

>Not getting a phone with SD card support

...his reminds me, does Quill's friends know what these songs are about? can they understand lirycs?

>not using Google Music
Fag.

>shilling and product placement is okay when marvel does it

>shilling
>a product that hasn't been on the market for half a decade

I still have a GoGear Raga, I never bothered with the software. You can just put songs on it through the explorer.

>neat little product placement that didn't stick out
>WOAH GUYS SEE SEARS DURING THE FIGHT?
hmmm I wonder which is better

I had one in high school. I liked it for the most part, but it was 10+ years ago, and I don't remember much aside from absolutely hating having to re-label my music again once I transferred everything to iTunes. I think I gave my Zune to my younger sister for some reason.

There was also the Dairy Queen but I did like that you saw the 1980 version too

Never owned a Zune but I bought into Sony's minidisc and then bought into the Nomad

I had some off-brand player through most of high school/early college that was surprisingly rugged for being a bootleg piece of shit. Most kids had various iPod models. No one had a Zune and they were generally seen as an N-Gage tier joke.

I still have that player somewhere, though I started putting all of my music on my phone once I got one good enough to handle it all.

seeing people use branded products (like phones, Bing, fucking beverages) are pretty dumb but I think the best placement I've seen in a while is when they don't really care and just go for it so it gets a laugh out of me.

Like the Baskin Robbins job from Ant-man and the obvious Corona one from Furious 7 where they just pull out an ice bucket filled with cold Corona.

I don't think that would have worked if they hadn't used a franchise. The change just was too dependent on the standardized, recognizable design of the restaurant.

100% this. The interface was way easier than the iphones, and you didn't need to use iTunes. But it came out in an era where people with access to stuff like that didn't know how to move files on a computer.

Nomad was a solid hefty piece of kit

Probably. A lot of the songs on the Awesome Mix Tapes are about relatively universal themes of love, heartbreak, family, and hope.

Even tracks with very specific Earth cultural references like Escape/The Pina Colada Song are easily understood. Even Drax or Groot can listen to the lyrics and suss out the basic narrative that this married couple is silly.

>didn't know how to move files on a computer
Fucking this. This is how I handle all of my stuff. It's easy and pie and makes sense. I have having all of my files managed by some shitty app or program that demands me to have a username and a cloud or some shit.

Shame this film's profits are going to get munched on by that crappy new Alien: Age of Davidtron movie. Might send the wrong message, but Volume 3's a sure thing so at least we'll have that to look forward to.

>I can't fit my 20k+ songs on a smartphone

user, the Zune was discontinued in 2012
It's about as good as product placement as a can of New Coke

>that's the joke

The wife had a Zune all during the dedicated music device period (before smartphones replaced them). She had an ipod and hated it, I hated supporting it. Got her a Zune, she adored it and I found it to be infinitely easier to support than the godawful itunes that is, as I understand it, still a shitshow to this day.

Zune was not a bad device by any means. It *was* a flop, no doubt about it, but that was from crappy marketing and simply not being able to squeeze into a niche that apple had already dominated.

For that reason I actually loved the minidisc player, even with the reduced number of songs held

Fuck you I owned a zune. 1,342 songs and 100 movies.

And had one of the few glass screens at the time

my brother had one. he liked much more than the iPod he got after it died