Is Bendis hate just a fad? A trend? Are we really missing out on his talent because we're too busy hating on him?

Is Bendis hate just a fad? A trend? Are we really missing out on his talent because we're too busy hating on him?

He's not the greatest but he does get too much hate.

Nah, he just really sucks.

Is OP a shill?

OP here. I mostly hate Bendis but am quite taken aback that there are those who actually thinks of him as a great writer. He's a hit and miss. He's good at his own game but he's not very flexible. There are books of him I did enjoy reading but the books I did not weighs far heavier than those that I did.

Beyond the meme i genuinely hate Bendis' writing and I mean anything I've ever read from him before and after hating him became the default position on Sup Forums.

Nice backpedaling, bro.

Bendis?

I'm not your bro, pal

He has written nice shit in the past.

Now he is awful and needs to be put out to pasture.

What talent?

Cyclops was right. Even when writers try to write him wrong.

Talent? You mean, like, skill?

>Bendis is a great writer

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

>Is Bendis hate just a fad?

No. People have been hating him since Disassembled and HoM. If it's a trend, it's been going on for nearly a decade. It's just now a lot more people realize how shitty he is.

Skill?

bendis doens't have bad ideas

the problem is he doesn't care about his ideas.

"here's the 05 x-men in their youth. what you expected some major arc about what each chracter means and meant and what this kind of time travel meant for reality?, nah they'll just stay here and do jack"

"here's iron man in space with the gotg. what you expected him to come bakc having leartn something? nah none of it mattered"

"let's here's a potential kitty - star lord romance. what, you expected it to build up and make you wonder if it works or nto? nah they'll date a couple times and marry"

Does any of you have that screenshot on how Bendis destroyed Wanda?

He's a great crime writer, but can't plot superhero comics for shit.

>>Guy says Xavier is the worst.
>>Doesn't mention Eva Bell, the girl who not only told Xavier to erase him, but yelled at Cyclops saying he was the worst over it

Girl Power.

The guy needs to just stick to writing one street level book, anything he sucks at, Guardians, AN X-Men, Uncanny XMEN, Spider-Lad, Ironman, Ultimate End, Avengers vs X-Men, Civil War 2, all have been shit

Good Lord, Bendis is terrible.

>we
Go fuck yourself.

Guy's a huge Cyclops fan. Rides Scott's dick so hard. Won't care about the misinterpretation of other characters as long and Bendis did his Slim good.

I'm a characterfag for certain things, but good lord man, you make the battered house wife meme about Xfags a true fact...

Siege was when I realized he was shit.

Took you that long?

He can write "close to life" stories about crime and vigilantes more or less alright, but his writing has no place in "classic" superhero stories. Superheroes are larger than life. Bendis turns them into street punks with CW-level "IRL-like" dialogues.

Pre-2010 Bendis was good enough when he wasn't doing events.

Alias
Daredevil
Dark Avengers
The Pulse
Ultimate Spider-Man

Post 2010 Bendis is when he went to shit

All-New X-Men
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Miles Morales
Invincible Iron Man
Uncanny X-Men

Alias and The Pulse are fucking garbage.

It's way better than AN X-Men or his GoTG

Nah shit before then. Can't exclude events or shit on chars I don't like.

USM, Dark Avengers, and Daredevil have all the problems of his later runs

fucked up Scarlet Witch so bad she's still doing damage control more than a decade later

then Spencer went and made her Hydra

his fall from grace started when wrote the Avengers.

still pissed at him for singlehandedly ruining the Hood

Miles Morales is bland as fuck and wins all his fights with his spider-tasers

He ignores continuity to the point where he ignores stuff even he wrote.

His X-men work was the worst X-men I've ever read. 9 months to tell a 4 part story that he retcons in the end.

His Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-man were great but that shit was a long time ago. the man doesn't give a fuck anymore and thinks he shits gold.

I started reading comics when Dark Reign started.

Bendis wrote nice things in the past.
Now everything of his that is published feels like the "first draft" of a project. Superfluous dialogue, gaping plot holes, ideas that start and go nowhere, themes that are introduced then barely explored, half-assed, deux ex machinas endings, all things you throw in during the very first attempt to sketch out a story, before you iron out all the details and actually write the real deal, only he never starts that part.

They do but at the time it was also within a level he was better at. It got more noticable because he was working on books he shouldn't have worked on, or at least learned to vary his dialogue and characterization better before working on.

Like for instance, a bunch of nameless goons would talk like this. The fucking Wizard shouldn't be.

> then Spencer went and made her Hydra
> made her Hydra

Why they do this to my Wanda?

You should see how he wrote Annhilus. THAT was criminal!

Fuck that. My dog could write a better.

I believe Bendis is a good writer at heart. As in, he has the skills and the ideas to make good stories happen.

But he's also a slut. He will do anything for the Marvel editorial even if it hurts his sales, and to pander to the moviegoing audience too.

Bendis is really flawed, but he can write when he isn't exposing his asshole to the whims of the editorial department. He does need editoris though, just not "idea guys".

But then again I guess this is his shortcut for telling the reader, "this is a college educated person."

...Wasn't Dr. Doom with the Fantastic Four just a few years before that?

My reasoning with Bendis is this.

He's been top selling for over a decade, so why should he bother trying anymore if people will still eat up his stuff? He doesn't have to work hard because no matter what he does, it will sell.

Yes, along with the Wizard's clone Bentley.

>because no matter what he does, it will sell.

Sales heavily dropped when he was doing X-Men. Same with his Guardians of the Galaxy.

10/15 Guardians of Galaxy #1 - 118,342
11/15 Guardians of Galaxy #2 - 51,690 (-56.3%)
12/15 Guardians of Galaxy #3 - 53,627 (+3.7%)
01/16 Guardians of Galaxy #4 - 46,215 (-13.8%)
02/16 Guardians of Galaxy #5 - 40,581 (-12.2%)
03/16 Guardians of Galaxy #6 - 48,330 (+19.1%)
04/16 Guardians of Galaxy #7 - 40,213 ( -16.8%)
05/16 Guardians of Galaxy #8 - 38,404 (- 4.5%)
06/16 Guardians of Galaxy #9 - 34,542 (-10.1%)
07/16 Guardians of Galaxy #10- 36,614 (+ 6.0%)
08/16 Guardians of Galaxy #11- 34,914 (- 4.6%) (CV2)
09/16 Guardians of Galaxy #12- 32,373 (- 7.3%) (CV2)
10/16 Guardians of Galaxy #13- 29,845 (- 7.8%) (CV2)
11/16 Guardians of Galaxy #14- 28,405 (- 4.8%)
12/16 Guardians of Galaxy #15- 63,338 (+123.0%)
01/17 Guardians of Galaxy #16- 32,890 (-48.1%)
02/17 Guardians of Galaxy #17- 31,093 (- 5.5%)

It's Vision, he knows how Wanda's brain works and muttered something in binary that triggered her to seemingly become a blank slate, Vis is probably siding with Cap because he was one of a handful of avengers who didn't show up to try and stop him from avenging the death of his son on Victor.

If anyone is going to know how to take Wanda down its going to be Vision

By the way, if you're wondering about the increase in #15, that was the Marvel Now 2.0 launch.

Bendis peaked with Dark Reign. He's written nothing even acceptable ever since. He only had a decade in him, like many other writers.

I'm not much of a comic man myself, but from what few comics of his I've read, I think the hate is legitimate. It's not just that he is mind-numbingly lazy and mediocre it's that he writes as though he thinks he's a better writer than he actually is.

no, you moron, Madame Hydra is butt-buddies with Chthon, and Vision was hacked by Zola

And this was with McNiven on art. Bendis's rep for being an A-lister is very overrated given his failures on books like Moon Knight and Spider-Woman. His only real successes were USM, New Avengers and probably DD in terms of sales.

Okay, but how does that disprove anything that I posted? It was Vision who turned Wanda against the faces, the only thing I got wrong was Vis' motivation.

Even CBR which has Marvel's cock in their mouth are wary of Bendis on FF which shows just far he has fallen in terms of popularity.

>And this was with McNiven on art.

It wasn't; this was the ANAD launch (first issue on that list is from 10/15). McNiven was already no longer on the book.

But if you want sales starting from when Bendis started writing Guardians:

02/13 Guardians #0.1 - 80,344
03/13 Guardians v3 #1 - 217,993 (+171.3%)
04/13 Guardians v3 #2 - 88,184 ( -59.5%)
06/13 Guardians v3 #3 - 75,633 ( -14.2%)
06/13 Guardians v3 #4 - 71,575 ( -5.4%)
07/13 Guardians v3 #5 - 110,372 ( +54.2%)
09/13 Guardians v3 #6 - 69,030 ( -37.5%)
10/13 Guardians v3 #7 - 68,647 ( -0.6%)
10/13 Guardians v3 #8 - 63,494 ( -7.5%)
12/13 Guardians v3 #9 - 57,665 ( -9.2%)
12/13 Guardians v3 #10 - 53,527 ( -7.2%)
01/14 Guardian #11.NOW - 61,111 ( 14.7%)
02/14 Guardians v3 #12 - 55,454 ( -9.3%)
03/14 Guardians v3 #13 - 56,764 ( 2.4%)
04/14 Guardians v3 #14 - 53,976 ( -4.9%)
05/14 Guardians v3 #15 - 54,332 ( 0.7%)
06/14 Guardians v3 #16 - 54,827 ( 0.9%)
07/14 Guardians v3 #17 - 62,986 ( 14.9%)
08/14 Guardians v3 #18 - 60,657 ( -3.7%) O.S. Tie-In

Hate it all you want but Alias did very well for an OC, a female lead, and an 18+ title.

>Alias
>garbage

fuck off, stunting for nobody

no it wasn't, Madame Hydra was the one who brainwashed Wanda. Vision had nothing to do with it.

09/14 Guardians v3 #19 - 55,891 ( -7.9%) O.Sin
10/14 Guardians v3 #20 - 61,072 ( 9.3%)
11/14 Guardians v3 #21 - 62,387 ( 2.2%)
12/14 Guardians v3 #22 - 52,470 ( -15.9%)
01/15 Guardians v3 #23 - 51,466 ( -1.9%)
02/15 Guardians v3 #24 - 60,046 (+16.7%) B.Vortex
03/15 Guardians v3 #25 - 61,798 (+ 2.9%) B.Vortex
04/15 Guardians v3 #26 - 54,124 (-12.4%)
05/15 Guardians v3 #27 - 49,308 (- 8.9%)

And that's where it ended because of Secret Wars, then eventually relaunched for ANAD as seen in

>hurrr let's see muh OC take a shit
>hurrr let's see muh OC jerk off
>hurrr let's see muh OC take it up the ass
>durr let's try to be all meta with my weak-ass main villain
>durrr let's keep shitting on characters I don't like
It was garbage, Bendis.

Yeah I would say Alias was a success for what it was back then. In fact remember that the time he got those Eisners was when he was doing Alias, USM, Daredevil, and Powers.

Bendis please.

It was Bendis peak.

>Is Bendis hate just a fad?
This is a group of people who probably never heard of him before, responding to how he wrote a Halo comic book.

>Are we really missing out on his talent
You brought this on yourself

Note the careful empowerment he depicts in his females.

…and the economical reuse of panel layouts.

>It IS a curse!!!
>I-It's a HORRIBLE curse!!!
>It IS?

Did you enjoy the exposition? Have some slice of life.

…and an author self-insert who looks more like Jesus Christ than, say, a fireplug with eyebrows.

So rich in background details!

he drew this?

I'm not your pal, bud.

More empowered femininity coming right up!

Bendis has way too much freedom and control to do whatever he wants and that's why his writing has suffered.

She's practically Jessica Jones and Spider-Woman all in one

Bendis like Quesada snuck into Marvel's writing through the art door, believe it or not.

He drew this.

You mean Bendis the writer drew this?

Conversations over dinner where the perspective never changes? We got you famalam

Bendis drew this.

And now, Siskel and Ebert for no reason at all

Are you enjoying the talent so far, OP?

Yes.

That Bendis.

This.

THE Brian Bendis, of Brian Michael Bendis fame?

Empowered woman with agency