Movies are fun and all, but don’t forget that for actual mental stimulation you really should read more this year...

Movies are fun and all, but don’t forget that for actual mental stimulation you really should read more this year. Just a reminder.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Db-AeaMzuxY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>reading fiction
>having mental stimulation

Pick one.

Reading takes too long and i don't get any real fulfillment out of it. Movies are short, fast and sometimes even entertaining.

Why do that if I can read some Light Novels instead?

>t. soyboy
I actually can't wait until it's wordfiltered

Fiction has the capacity to contain more knowledge and truth about life in five pages than ten feature length movies.

We’ll just come up with something new.

I don like booksthey make me sleepy but I can't fucking wait for Justice League 2

>normies are so adhd they can at best read only 20 pages per day
woof

Light novels are trash. They are the entire reason 90% of recent seasons are dogshit because they are being adapted

Books are for fags
t.ADHD patient

>normies are too ADHD to read and take notes
>normies are too ADHD to watch a movie without skipping the ‘boring parts’
>normies are too ADHD to watch anime without skipping the OP and the ED

Yeah, but for the same amount of time it would take me to read those 20 pages (probably a minuscule amount of the book as a whole) I could watch the entirety of 2001: A Space Odyssey or The Godfather or Scarface or The Seventh Seal

It looks like crypto /lit/ thread so I will ask.
I just ended The Stranger by Camus. About the Meursault - was it autism?

>lol im such an intellectual reading fiction by dead white men from 200 years ago xD

>this is what book readers actually believe

>what is non-fiction?

>what are documentaries?

what do you gain from reading a book over any other form of media?

Literature is for dummies who can't learn math and physics
but still want to tell themselves they're "smarter than average"

>I'm not d-dumb you g-guys! I r-read Do-Dostoyevsky

>2014: beta
>2015: numale
>2016: cuck
>2017: soyboy
>2018?
I'm thinking something along like lines of Weimar, to distinguish the bollockless faggots who celebrate the impeding Weimar Republic II.

Well for one thing, reading doesn’t make you an ADD spastic faggalo.

>reads nonfiction
>thinks its 100% real, nobody lies

words

Improves vocabulary, it stimulates parts of your brain that passively watching a movie doesn’t. Stop being a brainlet and read a book.

This thread is like some sort of antique.

Oldfags are now talking about how movies are intellectual but these young kids can't pay attention to anything longer than a 3 minute youtube video.

Book fags are way way behind in the game.

It’s a better form of media because it requires more intellectual effort than things like movies, games, etc. Essentially by reading you’re taking part in creating something, not just passively consuming someone’s work.

>if you read 20 pages a day you can read 1 stormlight archive book in 5 years

House of Leaves is a really good book, even with its lackluster ending.

>Stormlight archive
Those are 700 pages I’ll never get back. It got to a point where the cringe dialogue and bad writing was far outweighing the positive aspects.

Why would you limit yourself to 20 pages a day? If you're just reading a book just to say you have you gain nothing from it. Might as well watch a kino and have a splitscreen to shitpost on Sup Forums

>1 page is the same for books of different sizes

>The Stormlight Archive is an ongoing epic fantasy novel series written by American author

pay attention to me

it's true when they say that you don't know what you don't know. And I don't believe you will find what you don't know that you don't know in movies. Movies are young still and fiercely controlled. And essentially irrelevant, because our times aren't relevant to what is displayed in the films. But the truth about the jews is hidden in books, and Sup Forums is silly enough to think they know the answer. For them, jewish history ends in 1939. They haven't even read Ivanhoe.

>And they always have the exact same number of pages whether it's ebook or physical copy

>taking more than five minutes to read a page

I hate books, but seriously, if you can't read that many pages in at least an hour and you're not reading some /lit/ schlock, you're legitimately retarded.

And honestly, that list is so fucking unbalanced, you could probably be done with everything Kafka wrote at that pace in three weeks and it would take you about half the year to do Marcel Proust.

Because people’s lives become busier and full of other obligations. No one is sayin read just to read. The point is to show how easy it is to read a lot in small pieces. I love reading and used to read a ton of books a year, but each year new stuff takes up my time to the point that reading falls to the wayside. 20 pages a day is a good way to get a habit going.

>he consumes books
You know, a person who actually understands the value of literature and want to truly take in everything usually has to stop and think, maybe even jot down some notes, and try to form connections to relate what is happening in the book and why the author included it.

A simpleton can speed read a book

I actually like his books, but the dialogue is awful and somebody really has to tell the guy that he can't write funny. You shouldn't write about any character being better at something like that than you if you have to give examples of it

Listen here you little shit.

yeah, I mean come on, at least give us some page turners, op

He has good ideas and built a fun world. I was pumped enough halfway through to go out and buy book 2. But the more that stupid bitch main character (I’m sure you know who I’m referring to, I forget her name) talked the more I literally said “this is Reddit, this is fucking gay” in my head.

My last book was Simon Wroe's Chop Chop (I'm a sucker for /lit/ about boxing/cooking world), now starting High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (haven't seen the film adaptation yet). Also finished yesterday Smith's BONE and now I understand that making a good comic is not a walk in the park.
kek

I was fine with her for a while since I could rationalize it as people humoring an idiot rich girl, but you eventually do get told point blank at some point that she really is hilarious. The more the text and supporting characters explicity said how "witty" she was the less I could stand it

Explain logically and rationally while providing evidence why books are "better" for mental stimulation than movies. Any argument of "dude everyone knows Hollywood movies are dumbed down for mass appeal" will not be accepted.

We’ve reached a point in humanity where some things just don’t need to be explained. If you can’t understand why reading Moby Dick is better for you than watching The Avengers you really should just stick to your movies.

You have to read words and use your imagination.

>implying people here can read ulysses
LOL

So you have no rational argument. I see. Seems reading books hasn't actually made you more intelligent at all.

yeah shallan...someone pointed out to me that shallans, and pretty much all sanderson humor basically is the """"joke""""
>whats up?
>the opposite of down!!!
retold in an infinite amount of ways. and ever since i cant help but notice it in all his """"funny"""" characters not just Shallan. there one of these characters in mistborn 4 aswell. shame because the concepts are wonderfully nutty and inventive

staying on Sup Forums for hours is also a decent alternative. :^)

Are you trolling? This isn’t Reddit you silly autismo. Save your quips for r/atheism.

You conveniently skipped my reply. And I wrote it as simply as possible so you could comprehend it.

So you have no rational argument. Again, your "books" have not made you intelligent in the least.

>Ulysses high school tier literature
I'm the only one that can grasp it!

Are you ?
I assumed you were being sarcastic. Your argument is a tautology, "reading books is better than movies because you have to read words", fails to prove itself.

>when your art form is so shit people have to force themselves into it
Literature really didn't age well. F

One is passive consumption and one is active cognitive participation you fucking idiot. Do you also need it explained why going to the gym is better than eating hot pockets?

yeah whatever nerd lmao

>reading Moby Dick is better for you than watching The Avengers
Do you really need all those fish facts in your life? Why not just read fish articles in wikipedia?

False equivalence. The flow of information between "going to the gym" and "eating hot pockets" is diametrically opposite, one consumes energy and the other provides it. Whereas reading books and watching movies are both methods of consuming information.

>You have to read words
I'm reading words right now. Am I getting smarter? Doesn't feel like it.

>2018
>reading

maybe i cant read it
but i can listen to it
youtube.com/watch?v=Db-AeaMzuxY

nice trolling. no faggot as ignorant as you (purport to be) would use tautology in conversation, let alone know what it means.

>false equivalence
Please keep your Reddit terms in 2017

I love the "you have to imagine!" argument. Yes, I do love to imagine things. In fact I love to sit around and just imagine things by myself. Explain again, why do I need a book to do that?

It’s not just imagining things that makes reading worthwhile you absolute brainlet. Great authors are often great thinkers. You don’t just glance over the words and paint a picture and you move on. You think about what they said and why they said it and take something from it that makes you grow as a person. God people on this board are dumb.

>expecting incels and neets to read

They have a better chance of touching a vagina than they do of finishing a book

Your post makes very little sense. You seem to be implying I am intentionally trying to make myself ignorant (clearly not the case, as it is everyone else who is unable to respond to me with a coherent argument), and that my knowledge and use of the word tautology (HARDLY a stunning intellectual achievement) somehow defeats the purpose you have failed to demonstrate I am attempting exercise? Frankly I find your assumption that use of the proper word to describe the failure of your argument is somehow overly intellectual all the more fascinating, it seems books really haven't helped your intellect much if a word like "tautology" is beyond your everyday grasp.

It's an exact description of the failure of the argument it was in reply to. Your characterization of it as a "reddit term" does not alter the truth. Once again, I am seeing little to convince me that all the book-reading supposedly being done by you or others has done anything to improve your intellect or ability to form a rational argument.

I haven't read a novel since the 10 grade. Movies, TV, manga, games, the Internet and YouTube are better than novels desu.

>it’s a redditor spergs out episode

>implying i havent read my twisted world atleast twice

I actually legit need to read that.

Oh yes, some of them are great thinkers. And I for one believe that great ideas can be delivered in a variety of forms. You don't need a 10 page explanation for a great idea, every great idea can be compressed in a few sentences. I just saw the Brothers Karamazov tv show from the soviet union and it delivered the idea of the book pretty goddamn well. It also looked nice so fuck you and your books pal

isn't that pages 20 ages each? Pleae I'm frome /ck/ and /an/ seriusly.

Why read books when I can read Sup Forums and play video games which are more satisfying to me. No exaggeration I'm one of the most cultured people I know just by visiting Sup Forums so much and looking things up when someone mentions something I'm unfamiar with on here.

your post is almost a book.

The fuck are you talking about? Just read 20 pages a day. After 365 days that’s 7300 pages this time next year that you wouldn’t have read otherwise.

what kinda name is virginia woolf lmao. "to the lighthouse", yeah probably cause there's a bone buried there or something lol got em.

kys

>reading books when Wikipedia exists.
Hell, I can ask redditors for summaries on books.

there's really no good reason to read ulysses

your just mad because my joke owned

then fuck off and stay there

Don't bother.
First half is pure shit and the second half could be summed up on 2 pages.

>I reed 4 da sumary

Ok but 20 pages is a lot. On top of that you have to conjur up what’s going on in your head which is more brain power and then you have to analyze the words so that you can try and understand what the author actually means.

wow u read a 13 page novella right on dude

We already have Weimerican

t. People who watches mass produced cash grabs and thinks its "film"

Film is the superior art you pleb

>try to form connections to relate what is happening in the book and why the author included it.
>not being able to do that on the fly in your head

t. brainlet

How about Gaper? for the weird open mouth syndrome?
see:

how manlets have dick measuring contests

Reading books is intellectual cuckoldry.
The true patrician lives out his own experiences, does his own research and authors his own content.

>he says on a cambodian drawing board for autists to passively consume tv/movies and "discuss" them through derivative memes

>you have to conjure up what's going on in your head
yeah, it's called reading.

You don't read Moby Dick for the facts themselves but for the way they're presented. If you don't understand that you're a brainlet.