What is it with the sudden appeal of characters with zero flaws at a company known for it's relateable and more...

What is it with the sudden appeal of characters with zero flaws at a company known for it's relateable and more humanized characters you can sympathize with despite the wacky comic book setting?

>What is it with the sudden appeal

you answered your own question. there is no sudden appeal, look at the sales figures. it is and was ONLY MARKETING and virtue signalers on social media that never bought any issues.

fire sana, when?

Virtue signaling.

Whenever you have a character that's being thrown out for "representation" there's a risk that they won't get to exist on their own terms, and thus will risk being uninteresting because of a lack of texture and flaws

Movie Gamora is a good example of this. Comics Gamora is(was?) a bloodthirsty horny sadist.. Movie Gamora is your generic constantly-fed-up "Mom" character. I'd honestly rather they kick her out and replace her with Nebula if they're going to make another Guardians movie.

Say what you will about Carol's push (and it has been kind of lame) they at least haven't shied away from making her kind of a fuckup. She's got a slightly worse batting average than Tony Stark, I'd say.

1. Marvel is hiring talentless lobotomy patients off of tumblr to write their comics.
2. When the entire purpose of a character is to positively represent an ethnic group, giving the character flaws might make the whole group look bad so Marvel is afraid to do it.

There is no sudden appeal. The new lead of Marvel's comic department are just a bunch of Tumblr SJWs who think that they have a hidden army of billions of rainbow-haired dykes at their disposal.

Moon Girl is a pretty bad example, OP
In her own series she's a brat and she's been fucked up by her own arrogance and unwillingness to ask for help. It's not a great book for adults but it's not the circlejerk people think it is

Problem is
a) that stupid press release wanking off over how she's so smart
b) every other person who writes her read a wikipedia article instead of the comics

But moon girl has plenty of flaws and people in her own comic hate her.
People who say this stuff don't read comics.

The problem is that her comic is bad, so you see shit from it where she's being a smug brat, but you don't see the part where (anyone reasonable) dislikes her

ThisIt's not about the characters, it's about doing it so they say they did it to make people who don't want to read their comics happy.

Also, 'appeal' is not the right word. They Marvel NOW stuff is selling like shit in a pig farm.

You do raise a good point there - while she does fuck up, she rarely gets anyone treating her like the brat she is.

Their characters were always perfect and civies always drooled over them. Their "flaws" were bs.
>Oh Daredevil can't see... except he kind of can... his radar sense is actually superior to sight lel. Oh and women fight over the right to date him.
>Oh Spider-man is poor... but a genius, top tier strength, agility, slight precog and is funny as hell. Oh and women fight over the right to date him.

I can understand Moon Girl - she's the star of a book primarily for kids. When you were a kid, didn't you always think you were smarter than those cranky adults?

As for characters like Miles, Riri, and Cindy, that's mostly Bendis and Slott trying to make an OC that will outlive them.

let me correct you
>Oh Spider-man is poor... but a genius, top tier strength, agility, slight precog and is funny as hell. Oh and women fight over the right to date him.
> oh wait they're dead
>let's just move on

the scenario you imagine exists only in your head. consume more opposed forces and seek the middle path

>14 posts in and nobody mentions the most obvious flaw that the character in the picture has

Only Gwen and I think she came back recently.

>NOOOO!
>thats four O's, write it down

based Spidey. We just need to get rid of his midget sidekick now

Jesus fuck you're stupid.

They want to appeal to a crowd that read daily webcomic solely consisting of "look at me being calm and owning that silly enemy" 4 panel pages.

I kinda wanna see her go to a country that is currently under shariah law, "to see what it actually is"

Post lewds pls

I kind of get why he posted moon girl

Sure she has more backstory in her own comic, but the problem is that in other comics where she makes short appereances she is hailed like the best thing ever

It's the same problem with carol really

>people in her own comic hate her.
That's not a flaw, it's virtue signaling. She's good but the evil jerkops don't want her to be famous. that sort of logic.

You sound upset user.

Maybe they consider being black a flaw?

Shhh... you'll summon Sup Forums

Not really. They think she's stuck up, and they're not wrong.
I mean she is a little girl.
The entire last arc was basically the heroes of the MU rolling their eyes at her and going "You've got a ways to go, kid "

>Millions of dollars invested into marketing because the movie universe
>Your characters are fucking everywhere like they have never been before
>Still fucking up so bad that your company cant sell a fucking comic
People have been saying that this progressive shit is cancer for buisnesses, apparently its true, you can argue otherwise but at this point it just makes you look retarded supporting communism levels of retarded

Guess how many things in this pic I wanna fuck?

The answer may surprise you!

She is Korra?
Oh my fucking good that's hilarious

But we're already here.

your mom is stupid.

;-;
Are we /colmblr?/

So what do you think about the death of Net Neutrality and impending death of Sup Forums?

Lets not forget she's a supervillain.

Mostly laughing at the number of "THANKS TRUMP" comments about it, since everyone seems to think the death of net neutrality was a result of Trump even though it started in the prime of the Obama administration. But hey, whatever legitimizes that confirmation bias.

I genuinely like Riri and Moon Girl. What I don't like is the push on them without any real arcs, storylines or time to let the characters be explored and grow.

Kamala Khan worked because there was a set vision for her character and it was fleshed out patiently over time. These two have been thrown into the Marvel universe and, because marvel is desperate for sales, are being pushed hard instead of being allowed to have their own stories with real ups and downs and consequences. It's just executive bullshit bogging down the characters and it's inexcusable.

Korra asks for and accepts help many times.

>characters mindlessly agreeing with other characters during their first interaction

No no no no NO

That's not how you do characterization at all. People need to disagree, bounce off each other, feel each other out. This sort of shit kills entire casts of characters.

10/10 would mad again

Seriously? These grown adult women are taking a child seriously? This is a dream sequence right? She's just living in her own mind with this? I don't care how smart a child is, they lack experience.

Two: The moon and the dinosaur.

Thise are some luscious, full planet lips

It flies in the face of her own comic even, because a major point is that she feels frustrated and impotent in her own skin because no one takes a little girl seriously.

He also has the biggest inferiority-superiority complex in the entire world, is socially retarded (he has always been about five years behind the curve in social situations; the man practically mumbles one of his proposals to Mary Jane), has crippling mental breakdowns fairly regularly, and is constantly fucking himself over.

Peter's a lot of things, but he's deeply flawed as a person.

What gets me is that every new character seems to have a "genius level intellect."

Like what the fuck does that even mean? How do you measure that sort of thing? Why is every superhero a genius, why can't they just be some average joe?

These aren't frown adult women. These are college SJW sorority. This is some sort of a TED talk, but not really.
This is what happens when marvel hires brain dead people to write comics.

Did she mention fucking a Goblin?

That's basically asking why every super hero is a handsome chiseled Adonis with a perfect BMI. "Let's make a character with 18 in every attribute" is pretty much the default for super heroes. And then if they want to make a "good" character, they go "oh, but let's give him a character flaw by giving him 13 in THIS particular attribute. But only in his alter-ego form.

>The best thing she can come up with to defend Sharia law is that it would destroy banking

You do know that if people giving out loans can't make money from doing it then all that means is that no one will be able to actually GET a loan, right?

>white male acting dumb

Very sublte Marvel.

To be honest, it's not the progressive shit. Marvel, and just 'mainstream' comics in general, have always been pretty progressive. The problem is piss poor writing. You can be progressive without making it seem forced and stupid.

Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man, etc, have all been doing that for decades.

but she's a nigger, that's a flaw.

This. Captain America had an arc where the villain was honest-to-God Nixon, but it led to Nomad and everyone loved it.

It sucks because the current political climate lends itself well to high melodrama. A foreign entity infiltrating the highest levels of our government? Partisan politics coming to their logical, maddening conclusion? A caligula-esque manchild leading the free world because of the arrogance of the opposition? Any writer with an ounce of talent in their body would give their left leg for a scenario like that. Instead we get Nazi Cap and other shit no one asked for.

Anna is the only good thing about Parker Industries era Spider-Man.

There's no phone on that selfie stick.....

It's not a selfie-stick, it's a genetic extractor to try and get a sample of Devil Dinosaur so he can turn himself into Homunculus Rex, Lord of the Dino-Men.

That sort of thing happens all the time.

Maybe he just wants to poke the dinosaur to see what happens?

I know I would.

Fuck off with your bait threads. If you actually bothered reading Moon Girl's comic you'd see she's really flawed.

If that's the case then he's the only sane one there.

There is a fucking dinosaur on stage, why the hell is everyone listening to a little girl.

>a company known for it's relateable and more humanized characters you can sympathize with despite the wacky comic book setting?
Marvel hasnt been this company since the Clone Saga

You just like it because of those lewd edits. Fuck off pedophile.

>I learned that most rules and systems aren't designed to make ME, Lunella LaFayette, great.

Reminder that the person who wrote this is an unironic Marxist.

Didn't we already did something similar to that in Dark Reign with Norman Osborn.

Moon Girl's crossovers were REALLY counter-intuitive. They just made everyone hate her while her actual comic is a delight.

I mean, I agree with you, but why would you use the one of the few new characters that doesn't illustrate your point for this? Moon-Girl is plenty flawed.

>she's the star of a book primarily for kids.
The problem for me is that this book "primarily for kids" is part of the mainline 616 universe, and not some AU where the creative team can just do whatever the fuck they want in their containment book.

Since it's part of 616, then it brings down all the other books to its childish level, because now they must all acknowledge that monkey girl is the smartest in the universe and play it straight.

Tumblr thinks Lisa is the best part of the Simpsons.

Write what you know

>Movie Gamora is your generic constantly-fed-up "Mom" character. I'd honestly rather they kick her out and replace her with Nebula if they're going to make another Guardians movie.

That remind me of that clip from the GOTG cartoon where it's suppoesd to be every member was overloading the ship to make it have too much weight and Gamora had so many dumbells because "She needs to be strong" and it's so...bland...

Why is accepting canon "bringing down the book"? Sounds like you just have a bias towards the character.

>That's basically asking why every super hero is a handsome chiseled Adonis with a perfect BMI.
Not the same thing. Heroes are attractive because people like stories with good-looking characters. Heroes are physically fit because their adventures require them to be fit, and also because it looks attractive.

Characters being geniuses aren't required for a hero story. That's just something lazy writers think up to justify the lazy plot devices they'll need to create, in order for the hero to win.

The Marvel cartoons are just

so, so bad nowadays.

Like, limited animation can be good IF the drawings are interesting. But they use this bland in-house art style that's lifeless without good animation to compensate.

I find it hard to believe that Tumblr is old enough to have watched the Simpsons. Even when _I_ was in high school most kids had stopped watching it. And I'm thirty flippin 1.

If Moon Girl is a book for kids, then by nature of the subject, every other Marvel book - no matter how serious - gets brought down to that level because of her existence when she inevitably crosses over.

It's a stupid canon. Not that user, but what if he does have a bias towards the character? She has tumblr written all over her and if you don't realize why that kind of shit is hated here yet there's no hope.

>Children exist in my world and I see them
>Therefore it's always Barney time down here in fagsville

Idiot.

Not an argument.

Sorry, that logic doesn't follow. They don't have to tone down the blood or anything when Moon Girl appears. You are suggesting accepting canon is childish.

>written all over her
At least you admit you haven't read the comic. If you actually knew what you're talking about you would realize she's perfectly well rounded. You idiots screaming at the sjw boogeyman should be banned, it's impossible to discuss comics with you.

They are actually evil androids, even more subtle

>what if he does have a bias towards the character?

I almost said "you should read a comic before you decide you hate it" but then I remembered I'm on Sup Forums.

>What is it with the sudden appeal of characters with zero flaws
Dude if I want flaws I'll just go live my fucking live
I have enough flaws there
I want to relate myself to a perfect character because that makesw me feel better

Why?

>They don't have to tone down the blood or anything when Moon Girl appears.
That's not what I'm arguing. Moon Girl's appearances in other books ultimately lends validity to all the dumb shit that happens in her own book. She's the smartest in her own book because she solved a puzzle? Fine. But she's canonically the smartest in ALL Marvel books? That's stupid.

>it's impossible to discuss comics with you.
Maybe you should stop reading them then and go discuss actual important things like politics, you fucking nerd

You're saying Marvel books are childish because there's an all-ages book in canon.

Guess what? Power Pack existed at the same time as Punisher for years. Moon Girl can still have crazy dinosaur adventures whil Punisher rips out a gangster's spine.

>all the dumb shit that happens in her own book
What dumb shit? You don't read her comic. Her intelligence wasn't even revealed until issue 12, the story isn't about that.
You don't have an argument.

>Power Pack existed at the same time as Punisher for years.
And? Was it ever stated that Katie Power was the smartest in the universe? You still don't seem to get it.

>Her intelligence wasn't even revealed until issue 12
So you admit it's still a thing that has bled over to other books? I rest my case.

No one is falling for it Marvel shill.

>So you admit it's still a thing that has bled over to other books?
...No? How would you even reach that conclusion? I said her intelligence didn't involve any "dumb shit." It just is.

>I rest my case.
What case? Seriously. Does it just trigger you that she's smart? There's nothing wrong with it. There's no reason why other comics should pretend it isn't so, just because it bothers you. You don't even read her comic so you don't know if she's annoying.

Why did she had to be the smartest and have crazy dinosaur adventures? She seems to do less of that than anything.

Half her book is guest spots coming in and out of the book telling her how smart she is and/or asking for help.

Kids with high IQs aren't smart because of that. They have to work to achieve their potential. She's just fucking smarter than everyone else because smartass bitchy child seems to be something some people like.

>Half her book is guest spots coming in and out of the book telling her how smart she is and/or asking for help.
Literally only in the latest arc. The point was that her intelligence was finally recognized and she's becoming part of the larger Marvel U as a whole, with all the good (powerful allies) and bad (powerful enemies) that that entails.

>Kids with high IQs aren't smart because of that. They have to work to achieve their potential. She's just fucking smarter than everyone else because smartass bitchy child seems to be something some people like.

If you had read the book, you'd know that a plot point is that she spends literally ALL of her time studying. She had no friends before Devil Dinosaur came into her life.

I never read any Carol stories except for the first few issues of Civil War II and she seems like some kind of disgruntled space cop who is tired of everyone's shit.

>Half her book is guest spots coming in and out of the book telling her how smart she is and/or asking for help.
It's the other way around. The heroes tell her she has much to learn

All the time of a child still doesn't compare her to the time of an adult with a similarly high IQ. She may have the potential but she cannot be the smartest.

"Don't be such a hotshot" is the same lesson almost every hero ends up having.

In a universe of brilliant people who have made times machines, Cured illness, extended life, Create and take away powers at a whim and any number of things what is the point of another one on the pile? A universe with powered people who can do all these things without the claims of being the smartest. What's the point of this character in the greater universe?

>they at least haven't shied away from making her kind of a fuckup
The problem is that while she IS a fuckup, she is not treated AS a fuckup, she is treated as THE GREATEST.

God I hate her hair.

I still don't get why they had to kill off Moonboy and make devil dino her sidekick.

Why fuck that up? I liked Moonboy and DD.

>A foreign entity infiltrating the highest levels of our government?
Jesus christ do you people honestly believe the "HE'S A RUSSIAN PLANT" thing?
>A caligula-esque manchild leading the free world because of the arrogance of the opposition?
Trump's biggest detractors come from the fact he's acting like a neocon or neoliberal. You'd get this exact same shit from Hillary.

>...No?
So you deny the fact she's the smartest character? And you deny the fact that the greater Marvel universe acknowledges this?

>Does it just trigger you
I see I'm wasting my time here.