Is he right that modern/2010- cartoons are better than some of the previous entries of TV animation?

Is he right that modern/2010- cartoons are better than some of the previous entries of TV animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oscfN0os9Ec
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes but not any of the ones in that picture

>NC
>right

Yeah. Peoole who wank off the 90s forget there were some real clunkers.

For every Gargoyles there were five Bobbys Worlds

>some of the previous entries of TV animation
With such a vague definition, he can't be anything but right

Basically anything from like the 90's, 80's hell even the Hanna Barbara cartoons is what I meant user.

Oh god, I just realized I kind of look like this idiot.

Time to commit suicide, I guess.

>Bobbys World
IT WUZ A GOOD SHOW!

pretty much this.

the 90s was more about quantity over quality.

steven universe would be alot better if rebecca was better at running a team, was a half hour and didn't take a hiatus every couple of episodes

bubbline & shippers in general are ultimately the kiss of death that ruined adventure time

>Cartoon talks about feelings
>Therefore it's good

90s and 80s show had a more detailed art-style, making them look superior as still-shots

What most do not realize is just how stiff they were when it came to actual animation

Adventure Time will age very well I think. It's definitely my favourite cartoon from this decade.

>if you didn't watch these growing up you didn't have a childhood. Kids these days, they don't know.

Because nobody shows ever have ANY emotion outside of boundless hatred for every single living thing

just as God intended

I call it Anime-syndrome. Really detailed designs to make up for extremely limited animation.

>Bobbys World
I haven't seen it in 20 years, was it really that bad?

Fuck no

The way they talked might be very outdated in a few years, I fear. It would probably just be remembered as a very trippy 10s cartoon with a cult following.

It was funny at first because it was a parody of 80's speak (Math=Radical), but having EVERY character speak the same way was a mistake.

Yes.

Yes and no.
There are positives and negatives for both sides.

There's a valuable lesson to be learned from all this. Try waiting until these shows' conclusion before you uncritically praise them as the next Golden Age of animation.

Defending "SLAMACOW! SHMOWZOW!"

That was embarrassing before the show was two seasons old.

I don't think so. It was never trying to be hip with the times. Their manner of speaking was always dorky. I think it was just a commentary about how the way the young generation that follows your always has dumb sounding slang to your ears (lit, fire, etc) so they made up this dumb slang for the future. That principal is pretty timeless. Think about how old people hated hippy talk from the sixties and then those hippies hated the radical talk of the nineties and now we hate slang from youngsters and the cycle continues.

I can see people being put off from the show because of the stupid slang but it being dumb is kind of the point.

Why? I like what they've been up to now, we'll have to see if they change later on.

>"The show was only PRETENDING to be retarded!"

Gravity falls was pretty fun until Season 2B.

>the way people talk and the show itself are the same thing

>nostalgia critic
>being right about anything
Pick one.

No its intentions are quite clear. If anything you were pretending to be retarded by not picking up on them.

In this case is the truth.

Just like you are only pretending to be a Jew

No, his only excuse is "muh lore".

When you say something vague enough like that, it's hard not to be technically correct. There's literally been hundreds of animated shows, of course some current stuff is going to better than some older stuff.

Didn't he stop doing those Steven Universe videos a while ago? I guess he realized it sucks.

>SHMOWZOW
I-I'm not even sure how to pronounce this

>"It's amazing how all the things that are popular now are also incredibly brilliant!"
>"I totally didn't make a giant piece of click-bait!"
>"Next will I'll be reacting the 14th chipmunks movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=oscfN0os9Ec

Gravity Falls and Adventure Time are both good, but average compared to the best cartoons of years past.
Steven Universe was never more than mediocre and managed to turn into a pile of shit amazingly quickly, mostly due to the clusterfuck that is the "Crewniverse".

I say no on the basis of stifled variety.

Point me in the direction of a couple of stright-forward action/drama/adventure/fantasy shows that are new IPs and I might change my mind.

>Adventure Time will age very well I think
AT started aging poorly by 2012. The faux wackiness and terrible pacing does didn't hold up from the beginning.

Wait, people actually still like Adventure Time? I dropped it two seasons ago and I probably should have dropped it much earlier.

Seasons 5 and 6 were bad but 7 and 8 have been great. Watch the recent Islands mini-series.

>even Universe was never more than mediocre and managed to turn into a pile of shit amazingly quickly, mostly due to the clusterfuck that is the "Crewniverse".
And it put itself back together again by season 5.
I would put it it above average.

Not really. He just can keep concentrated for long.
He give up the AT reviews too.

Whoa now lets not jump the gun. It's still garbage right now but it is on a small upswing at the moment. Aquamarine and Topaz are great additions, but so were Lapis and Peridot and then their characters were dragged through the mud and thrown in the meme barn to rot. We'll have to see how they handle Homeworld to determine if the show is actually back on track. I'm optimistic but also cautious.

>but so were Lapis and Peridot
>Lapis
What was interesting about her besides being trapped and sad?

>It's still garbage right now
Not really; people really make this season worse than it seems.

>We'll have to see how they handle Homeworld to determine if the show is actually back on track
It will never be "on track".
As it is, people are arguing that Steven going into space is ruining the show.

I liked that she was attached to Steven but couldn't give less of a shit about Earth. It was an interesting different perspective.

A really important recent-ish change has been the transition from episodic shows to having actual story arcs. Back in the 90s if you wanted a cartoon with a story arc you had to watch anime, like Dragon Ball Z or Cowboy Bebop. All the cartoons were self contained 1 episode things, which severely limited story potential and meant the show could be nothing but a rapid-fire series of gags. Gag shows are fine but they'll never be as engaging as an actual story.

Most modern cartoons now have a sort of hybrid thing going on; they have story arcs each season with some shitty 1-off shows thrown in as filler

Well this season 5 only has one episode but if you're talking about season 4 then it was trash. I'm not against filler, I like small scale stories that flesh out characters. But they went way overboard with it, coming to a point where there were episodes with lessons that the characters definitely should have known already or ones where it felt like we had episodes in the past where they learned the same lesson. It was so tiring.
Right now anything that gets the show away from Beach City for a while is a good thing.

Better than 2005-2009 except Avatar

Episodic shows are for patricians. Pseudo serialized shows are for pseudo intellectuals.

Modern cartoons have serialized stories and offer lessons on maturity . Old cartoons had idiots and mean-spirited characters doing random and gross things. Also please buy their toys.

>""""mean-spirited"""
>unironically hating gross-out humor in current year

Fuck off PhantomStrider

>Right now anything that gets the show away from Beach City for a while is a good thing.
To you.
But we've basically gone full blown Nintendo fandom at this point; people hate the current formula but if the creators do anything to change it, people will be up in arms.

They're just different that's it. The art style, target audience, use of continuity, type of humor, budget, animation techniques, etc it's pretty different each decade.

There is some good stuff and some bad stuff in every decade you can't really compare.

If you're some leftist cuck who cares more about how much a show talks about gender identity and shitty tumblr shipping then yeah they're better than ever.

Hey, Sup Forums.

I've not seen anyone complaining about going to Homeworld on Sup Forums. I don't know about Tumblr and Reddit and I don't give a shit.

Someday,y'all are going to realize that this era of cartoons will be the most overrated since the 90s,the only reason why it was so good is because it succeded the worst period of cartoons of 2004-09

>Adventure Time
>aging well

That show went to shit the quickest out of the shows he "hilighted"

Counterpoints:
One, merchandise driven cartoons were dying out by this time. There were still there but the more popular shows were original IPs.

Two, the "mean spirited humor" was just a reflection of the times. The 90s were a very cynical time so the humor followed suit.

I will agree that the 90s saturated the market with idiot heroes.

Early-to-mid 2000s cartoons were better than both the 90s and the 2010s.

I just look more to the gems we had in season 4.

Sure you can look the filler but I want to remember the highlights like Mindful Education or the Out of this World arc.

No.

The 90s was the best decade ever for cartoons

Rugrats, Blue's Clues, CatDog, The Magic School Bus, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Batman, Arthur, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Wild Thornberrys, The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, King of the Hill, Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, Rocko's Modern Life, Daria, Dragon Tales, Little Bear, Hey Arnold!, Powerpuff Girls, Superman, Men in Black, Batman Beyond, X-Men, Spider-Man, Doug, Recess, Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin, Super Mario World, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Timon and Pumbaa, Gargoyles, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Cow and Chicken, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Franklin, etc.

Best decade ever. I could go on. My childhood:). Today's cartoons suck! People are nasty and rude in today's cartoons.

Well.
In some ways certainly.
Right now we get more complex characters, more intricate plotlines, more innovative antagonists than ever before in the medium.
He is right that this is a coming generation of show runners who grew up on a broad media diet and internet access.
Is what they do better per se?
Not exactly. It is seriously hampered by shit funding versus its own high ambitions, suffers from unique new hickups due to changed processes and is massively split in terms of who is even the target demographic.
It is hard to keep kids engaged with abstract states of existence and obscurely motivated actions like in Adventure Time, or complex psychological phenomena like in Steven Universe.
As a 28yo college graduate, I find Steven Universe very engaging, but I dare not guess what a child might think what the hell Pearl's problem could be.

>People are nasty and rude in today's cartoons.

Next time, don't make your bait so obvious.

Other great cartoons

Rocket Power, Angry Beavers, KaBlam!, Real Monsters, The Tick, Freakazoid, Donkey Kong Country, Jungle Cubs, Bonkers, Little Mermaid, Goof Troop, and Aladdin

>Is he right
It's Douge, what do you think

God I hate that video.

He goes on about saying about how modern cartoons are better than ever, yet completely forgets A:TLA was produced in the 2000s, he also brushes off the 2000s in general. And the 2010s shows he "hilighted" have either already ended or went to shit except for SU (and in LOK's case, both). I understand where he's trying to get at, but it all comes off as a idiot speaking from his ass thinking he knows what he's talking about, when he really doesn't.

Are you sure he's not autistic?

But I saw Grunkle Stan being money scheming jerk in an episode. And I saw Sanjay and Craig being jerks. As well as Pearl being a very whiny drama queen

The bottom of this post feels like it's copied from Yahoo! Answers or Facebook

>Mixes good and bad cartoons.
It makes the bait all the more obvious

Oh crap! I forgot Quack Pack. I liked that cartoon. I miss it:(

And what were people like in Animaniacs, if I might ask?
If the shadow of an allusion to a dick joke in Steven Universe perturbs you, what is your opinion on all the innuendo those three terrorists got into inbetween a violent squirrel and even more violent pigeons.

They definitely don't save it from the bin.

He is just pandering.

The Animaniacs were annoying to the people in the show, but charming to us viewers

And the innuendo was harmless. It's like the Looney Tunes. Well, except for the finger prince joke. But at least that had wit to it

The word "some" is key. There are always shitty cartoons, some of the shit on the top of today's pile just is slightly more fresh than the shit on the bottom of yesterday's pile.

Which ones

he is

It's all about opinions/preferences

I like Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb, Wander over Yander, and Harvey Beaks.

But I also like Gargyoles, The Extreme Ghostbusters, Mighty Max, BTAS, X-Men, Ren and Stimpy, and Hey Arnold.

But I guess I would have to lean towards """"""modern""""" cartoons because of Batman the Brave and the Bold, Spectacular Spider-Man, Justice League, TMNT 2003, etc.

Not just because of Steven Universe or Adventure Time.

Tom and Jerry Kids, Bobby's World, Eek! the Cat, Taz-Mania, Carmen Sandiego cartoon, Life with Louie, Silver Surfer, Iron Man, Avengers, Godzilla, Big Guy and Rusty, New Woody Woodpecker show, Road Roavers, Earthworm Jim, Waynehead, Histeria!, Detention, Spider-Man Unlimited, Fantastic Four 90s cartoon, and Incredible Hulk,

Is this post chain a copypasta?

Quick take care of yourself, shave and wash your face. 5 minutes can save your life.

However, in the 2000s, we got AWFUL cartoons about people being jerks to others and unsettling content. Shows like Billy and Mandy, Flapjack, Gym Partner, Chowder, Johnny Test, etc. were trying way too hard to appeal to people. Others like Phineas and Ferb and Squirrel Boy were plain BORING. 2010s is just as bad as the 2000s. 90s forever!!

But user, what about Avatar and Samurai Jack. Those are very good 2000s cartoons.

I can't find a single damn good show in the 2000s, except ChalkZone, Time Squad, Sheep in the Big City, and Jimmy Neutron. Those were good shows.

Crap! those shows were awesome shows. I loved them. I'm sad that Jack is ending soon

>Billy and Mandy
>Flapjack
>Chowder
>awful

GET OUT!

>Yes but not any of the ones in that picture
Fuck you! Gravity falls is awesome.

I regret making this post.

me and my brothers were legit fans when it came out, we'd buy snacks and hang around to watch every new episode, i was 15 and they were in their early 20s, it was just so fresh and fun even for a kids show, we all dropped it when S4 came out, i see random episodes on cartoon network every now and then and just wonder what the hell happened.

All of season 4 has been great once it got to Steven's Dream, except for Rocknaldo.

I actually didn't find Rocknaldo as bad as people made it out to be. Still bad but not as bad as the uproar it caused indicated. I guess I just went in with really low expectations. But come on stuff like Tiger Philanthropist and Lion 4 were so bad. Especially Lion 4

>Was I supposed to be a girl dad?
>No we just picked names encase you were a boy or a girl
>I DON'T UNDERSTAND LET ME CRY HARDER

>Was I supposed to be a girl dad?
>No we just picked names encase you were a boy or a girl
>I DON'T UNDERSTAND LET ME CRY HARDER
That wasn't it at all.

It's a simple fucking concept of your parents making two tapes because they don't know if you'll be a boy or a girl and they turn it into an identity crisis for Steven. Just more cheap emotional manipulation the show has a bad habit of doing. Which cheapens what should be truly emotional moments.

This
He skips over 1999-2009 (which had a lot of good cartoons) to shill Adventure Time and Steven Universe for its leftist propaganda (and I say this as a liberal that likes SU and AT). Hell, he couldn't even be assed to finish the series.