You are now tasked with making a cartoon about Greek Mythology. How do you approach it?

You are now tasked with making a cartoon about Greek Mythology. How do you approach it?
Age rating?
Overarching plot lines or monster of the week?
Comedy, action, drama...?
Which protagonists, heroes, gods, both...?
Animation style?

>Age rating?
NC-17

The Greek myths are fucking brutal and if you're going to even bother you might as well go balls to the wall with it.

I think it could work with a TV-14 if you're clever with the use of blood and sex.

>TV-14
You really think you can tell any stories about Zeus with a TV-14 rating?

I think you could tell Heracles' whole life with a TV-14 rating.

>age rating tv-ma
>arcs focusing on heroes like 10 episodes for Hercules and perciusus and so on
>action and tragedy
>both heroes and gods
>animation similar to atla is all i can imagine without making it a straight up anime

>a series about Heracles whole life
>monster of the week format with an over arcing plot in the background
>20 minute long episodes
>TV-MA or TV-14
>either anime inspired style or something akin to Samurai Jack using ancient Greek paintings as a reference
>start the series before Heracles is born, three episodes long premiere with Amphitryon, Alcmene, Hera and Zeus
>portray all of Heracles's adventures
>don't shy out of portraying him as a dick when he acted like one
>one of the main themes is Heracles anger issues and how they cause him most of his troubles and pains
>one season for the 12 works
>another season for his years of slavery under queen Omphale
>final season for his revenge and matrimony with Deianira
>each season has a final villain who had fucked Heracles over in the past
>series finale with Heracles, having become a god, fighting off the giants alongside the gods and finally making peace with Hera

Hard sci-fi/cyberpunk

like Zeus is just a dude with a cybernetic cannon that shoots lightning, Hercules is just a guy with augmented strength, instead of Mt. Olympus there's a penthouse suite and the underworld is just the gritty rainy slums at the bottom of the city

Pegasus is a horse with turbo boosters strapped to his leg

That... does sound pretty neat. Good job user; I'd be willing to give it a chance. Although it sounds more like anime rather than a cartoon.

Okay, that's easy. I'd do a Wonder Woman story in which the Amazons finally realize that their gods are all a bunch of selfish assholes and stop worshiping them because they're done putting up with their shit. Because of the way deities work in the DCU, the Olympians start to fade out of existence. Diana goes to Olympus and tells the pantheon that their only hope of survival is to make a groveling apology to literally the only people in the universe who still pray to them. They do so and stop being assholes, thus ceasing to drag down every single Wondy run with their tedious, annoying as fuck Jerry Springer antics.

I don't read much DC, so I feel the need to ask, which universe has more dickish gods, Marvel or DC?

Hercules tv show from Disney was fun without it.

Be fucking creative, fag.

TV-14 adaptation of The Odyssey.

or the Ten Thousand.

I would do it basically like pic related

How would you structure the Odyssey?

DC. At least Marvel's versions of Hercules and Ares are heroes fighting the good fight. The Olympians of DC are a bunch of pretentious, piss-rippingly annoying hillbillies jerking off to themselves on their shitsucking mountain, and adding dumb bullshit to any given WW run.

Is WW the only series where to get a good look at those degenerates, or do they have their own book? I'd like to read more about them.

YESSSS!
>Goes full on Ray Harryhausen.
>Stop motion animation.
>Deafening homoeroticism with Boris Valejo inspired models.
>Zeus is a serial rapist and sadist.
>Hercules is into dudes
>Aphrodite is naked 24/7 and fucking stacked.
>Hades is the only God with any redeemable qualities.
>Hades still forced Persephone to marry him against her will.
>Ensemble cast ala Game of Thrones.
>Medusa is a sex bomb on steroids. THICC, baby.
>Hera is fucking Aries to get back at Zeus.
>Plot is whatever dramatic shit goes down.
>Think LEXX but Greek.

Yeah, I've been working on this for years, to my shame.

Those are some... odd choices. Hera fucking her son with Zeus is a bit of a stretch; I don't recall gods fucking their direct children. Their nephews, cousins, siblings and grand kids all the time, but nothing like you're describing. I might be wrong though.
Also, Zeus was a total bro with Heracles; he was clearly his favorite child. He once started throwing gods out of Olympus in a berserk attack after Hera got Sleep to drift him into a deserted island and took protection behind his mother Nyx who Zeus feared.
Still, your enthusiasm is admirable.

Hera hated Zeus more than anyone else. She had it out for any mortal offspring of Zeus.

Hercules was actually named after Hera. I forgot her relationship to Hercules, but whatever it was she loathed the bastard.

Hercules is not a "bro" in Greek Mythology. He committed just as many atrocities as any other demi-god or God. Those 12 tasks were assigned to Hercules in order to keep him occupied. Hercules was pretty much a carbon copy of Zeus. Hercules was a muscle bound rapist and jerk.

Disney Hercules is literally NOTHING like the Greek mythology character.

Thanks for the critique and comments!

I read and watched way too much Greek Mythology as a kid. Those old Ray Harryhausen movies are a substantial part of my childhood.

>TV-PG13
>Rough adaptation on the "universe" of the myths as a whole with Theseus as the title character, starting with his escape from the Labyrinth and leaving with Ariadne this time, though he still makes the mistake of not changing his sails. His shame over that causes him to travel through Greece, attempting to redeem himself, making allies and enemies along the way.
>The gods are portrayed accurately- as capricious, violent children, with Zeus pursuing the pair out of a desire to fuck Ariadne. Hades shows up at one point and is an affable, if slightly grave guy who lets Theseus talk to his father and get his forgiveness. The primary villain is Athena, vengeful after Thesus disobeyed her order to leave Ariadne, damaging the series of events that would lead him to strengthen Athens.
>Overarching plotline develops in week-to-week adventures.
>Action series with light comedy aspects
>Samurai Jack style

>Hercules is not a "bro" in Greek Mythology. He committed just as many atrocities as any other demi-god or God. Those 12 tasks were assigned to Hercules in order to keep him occupied. Hercules was pretty much a carbon copy of Zeus. Hercules was a muscle bound rapist and jerk.
I've been studying Heracles's myths lately and I'm pretty sure you're wrong about him.
He never raped anyone, not once. He had several lovers, but he conquered them with his charm and/or feats of power.
He did have a vein for murder in bloodrage, but this was something that tormented him. He always repented for his actions and asked for forgiveness and purification.
The 12 task weren't assigned to him to keep him busy, they were a punishment for murdering his family. And he only did it because Hera drove him to insanity; the tasks (originally 10 before his owner fucked him over some more) were meant to cleanse him of his atrocity.
He did serve as a slave to queen Omphale after murdering a man in an access of fury after being accused of a theft he didn't commit. Still, Zeus intervened for him and commanded him to work as her slave for 3 years. They ended up really close, had some children and had fun in pretty innocent ways; he never harmed her.
Also, I didn't say Heracles was a bro, I meant Zeus was a bro to Heracles because of how much he spoiled him even since conception. He took 36 hours having sex with his mother in order to create the greatest man who ever walked the earth; he even extended the night and got everyone high so they wouldn't notice.

Would you include that part Theseus and his bro descended to the Underworld because his friend wanted to put his dick in Persephone and Theseus got dragged into it because he gave his word?
It was pretty funny; his friend goes ahead and tells Hades he wants to marry and fuck his wife. Hades invites both Theseus and him to take a seat only for the chairs to become adhered to their skin and whip and torment for 4 yours before, by pure chance, Heracles happened to pass by looking for Cerberus. He got Theseus out but left his friend there because Hades straight out refused to let him go. By the time Theseus came back home Athens had been taken over by his enemies, so he ran away to another city, where the king, after taking him in, pushed him off a cliff and ended his life right there. It was a very tragic downfall.

Yeah, I was going to make that part of the adventure with Hades I was talking about. I'd have Pirithous being an antagonist after it ends.

Nice. I would love seeing you pulling it off. It it was successful, would you consider doing a spin off with Heracles? He showed up a few times in Theseus's adventures; they were cousins after all.

Heracles shows up in multiple episodes, but it's very clear that he's the hero of another show, which I could see doing. I went with Theseus because he's also a hugely important character in Greek myths, but isn't nearly as well-known in American culture. There are also more than a few time-travel episodes featuring Perseus.

Time travel or flashbacks?

NTR scene of Ares cucking Hephasteus.
Or Ares about to murder Poseidon for raping his daughter

There is at least actual time-travel episode. Athena attempts to bargain with Aion in order to go back and faff things up so that Theseus takes his original path from the myths, and things get out of hand very quickly. Theseus is flung back and nearly stoned by Medusa, who starts targeting him because of his importance to Athena, so he and Perseus have to team up, even if Theseus does not trust him, since Athena is his patron. In the end, Medusa is killed the same as in the legend, but Theseus apologizes to her earnestly for Athena's pettiness in the process, leading to her confusion and surprise before she's beheaded. Aion, utilizing the flesh of Cronus, which rots in reaction to someone not in their proper time, finally retrieves Theseus after this, but he and Perseus get some good interactions before this happens and things are open to Perseus coming to the future as well.

Not bad. I'd watch it.

Hook a guy up! I'm totally into rereading all of that. I was wrong, but hey, it's been awhile.

I'm more than willing to put in some heavy reading when it comes to Greek Mythology and Greek Tragedies.

I'm not even mad, and thanks for the corrections.

No problem buddy. You should really reread that if you get the chance; it's a pretty awesome story that deserves to be read more than once.

Also there's a joke at the end where Aion is asked where he got the Flesh of Chronos since he could only be inprisoned, not killed, and he just makes a face, implying that it's leftover bits from his castration. Funny!

Consider me on the job. I'm needing some non-comic material to read, something fierce.

Chronos was castrated? I'm pretty sure it was Uranus who had his balls cut off with an sickle by Chronos.

In one of the Byzantine interpretations, he's also castrated by Zeus, as a callback to him doing it to Uranus.

Not Poseidon, his son. And that lead to the first trial!

Ares was probably one of the nicest gods when it came to his mortal lovers, oddly enough.

He fathered the Amazons, didn't he?

God, I love culture.

Greek (And Byzantine, since it's just Greek Lite) culture's got so many really interesting, dark aspects to it that no one acknowledges. It makes the whole world out to be this beautiful place made completely by accident by absolute dickheads who routinely fuck it up indulging in petty whims.

It really is like comic books.

Yep. And I don't think he raped any women? A step up from his dad.