Archer Dreamland

So, anybody been keeping up with the season? The season finale, "Auflösung", airs Wednesday at 10/9 Central in the United States. What do you think will happen to round out the season? For context, Adam Reed said in an interview that he's not waking up this season but that he will also hold a coma-grudge when he eventually comes to.

For my part, I've enjoyed this season enough to want a second season of Dreamland, or at least part of one. They could easily do a Red Scare story with the late forties/early fifties Hollywood setting.

Agreed. Dreamland isa nice improvement from the last couple seasons.

Yeah, it seems like the creative team has really made strides with doing a serialized story. Plus, the art has been really good this season.

The new setting is a breath of fresh air. One of the problems I had with Archer as it went on is that I was getting tired of the characters and their interactions, they were getting stale. Putting them all in a different setting with different roles is nice.

I wasn't really feeling it until these last couple of episodes but the last couple have been great. Almost as good as the first few seasons good.

The only hitch is I wish Pam was still a woman.

I'll be honest, I haven't sat down and watched it thoroughly, my roommates been streaming it and I've watched an episode here and there.
Pam's a man in it?

I get the feeling that the've wanted to do something like this for a while, the last season sort of eased us into this sort of setting with the "modern day" private detectives in LA set-up, which got very noireish whenever Veronica Dean was involved, particularly at the end.

I'm glad it's given them the opportunity to try out some new references and running gags. I also like that some of the reimagined characters have added depth to the main cast, Krieger especially. The season shows that Archer is incredibly self-aware in his subconscious.

I didn't even know this show had a new season until Woolie mentioned it on his L.A. noire LP. Are the new update episodes on Hulu?

Yeah, they're a bit cagey about it (they haven't once referred to Pam by a pronoun or her first name, just as "Poovey") but the flash forwards/daydreams of Poovey's life with the chinese women makes it clear that he's a biological male.

She's kept deliberately ambiguous, but as a crooked cop in 1940s L.A. she's a man, yes. She's basically Russell Crowe's character in L.A. Confidential.

That or he wants to be. He apparently wants to live to be 1100 years old.

I haven't heard from anyone that it is, but if you can get ahold of it it's been really good.

Makes a certain amount of sense considering that Poovey's a police officer and it seems unlikely that they'd have a woman on the force.
White wasn't really crooked, just violent and willing to take liberties with the law. The commissioner was a dirty cop though.

Poovey is holding a baby. The baby is one and Poovey is 100.

What if the next season is archer's comatose dream of being a 70's vice squad cop and does Archer Vice the right way?

That's true, but they're both the muscle and have a soft spot for abused women.

I'd watch it. Part of the problem with Vice was that the advertising was straight up Miami Vice but in execution it was all over the place. Although it did support my theory that Archer takes place in a bizarre version of the late 70s/early 80s.

Actually we do have a good idea what year it is in the archer universe, Woodhouse's grave stated 1894-19XX (last two were covered by flowers) but Woodhouse was also stated to be over 100 meaning his funeral was between 1995-1999.

Politically and stylistically the "modern day" setting of the show is 60s/70s, but technology and pop culture is modern day. Chronologically the show would have to take place in the 60s/70s period, though (Sterling was born during WWII and he can't be older than his late 30s).

Yeah, the strongest episodes were whenever they were out of the house and trying to move the coke. The one in Florida, the one through the south, and the two-parter in south America were all pretty solid, but most of it still felt like standard Archer stuff.

They also make a few jokes about the ambiguity of the time period.

I had a ridiculous idea that explained the whole thing. My fan theory was that Archer takes place in the same universe as Bioshock Infinite. Columbia is just floating around spreading Tears all over the place and people are stealing technology and pop culture from the "future". The reason Burt Reynolds looks so old for the 70s is that he has Tear cancer.

I honestly say the show is completely stale and boring. All the running gags suck and the writing is dull and uninspired. 90% of the dialog is running gags that were never funny in the first place.

"Hey look at me I'm eating a hotdog and throwing it away! What? I was hungry"

"What? Shut up! okay what were you saying?"

(random historical rant that has nothing to do with the plot and is only spoken to waste time)

Well I had assumed that she was Ping'ing it up, pretending to be a man because the force wouldn't take a woman. And that people like Figgis are PRETTY sure she did but there's a kind of don't ask don't tell going on. But I suppose it doesn't really matter either way.

See I just thought Hotline Miami/Mother Russia Bleeds just because the U.S.S.R. still exists.

You're entitled to an opinion even though I disagree with you.

So you haven't watched the latest season, then.

In one episode Malory missed Archer's 6th birthday when she was part of a coup against the Guatemalan gov which too place in 1954 meaning archer was born around 1948, Right around the same time she mentions one of his potential fathers dying during operation Gladio.

That could still be the case, if the flash forwards are really just daydreams.

Considering how I just quoted several stale memes from the latest season I'd say I have.

Haven't seen the lastest episode yet.

Not him but the hotdog joke was this season.

Now I'm tempted to write a story where Archer and co. have to deal with Columbia showing up and burning New York to the ground.

But we saw Sterling's birth in a bar in Tangiers while Mallory was being chased by German agents, when else would Mallory Archer be going up against German agents in North Africa but during WWII?

East German agents? Why they were in Tangiers is an open question.

I think it's too early to call them stale memes, they may not be good jokes but at least it's a change up from the old memes.

Plus the hot dog thing only lasted for two episodes, the latter of which only had one example of it.

Unlikely, if it was a cold war situation it would be far more likely to be Russian agents.

Baltic Germans then? They were historically an important feature of the Russian state.

Do you not know the history of East Germany?

Everything about Krieger this season has been A+

That makes MUCH more sense. I just thought he was delusional.

Maybe expatriate German agents, like the ones that cloned Krieger?
It's also possible that it's all meant to be ambiguous.

>2 episodes

Literally every episode

I wish people didn't love VA's making obnoxious ROMF ROMF ROMF noises because thats all the joke. " What? I didn't have anything to eat all day and I was starving" (Immediately throws it out the window)

I know that the East German state; and the Stasi in particular, operated with a high degree of independence from the Soviet Union for a Warsaw Pact state, but they were still only a minor eastern bloc power, why would they be in North Africa?

Given how many of them there are it only makes sense that they celebrate multiple close birthdays together.

You are demonstrably wrong, it was only 2 episodes.

Plus the stereotypical FUTURE clothes and setting kind of made it ambiguous.

Watch again, it is two episodes. Ladyfingers has Poovey and then the coroner do hot dog bits. Sleepers Wake has the coroner do it once when Cyril lights his balls on fire and Poovey do one when they drive to the ransom drop.

Of course someone in the 40s would imagine everyone in FUTURE clothes.

We're lucky they didn't all look like the Jetsons.

I agree. I'm kinda bummed about the qt nurse though. If they do the Russian idea like OP suggested I wouldn't mind seeing her survive somehow to help the KGB with their own robots

Cyborg She-Wolf of the KGB!

Actually, I would watch a revenge rampage against Krieger by the robonurse

Wait. I thought there were ten episodes this season

Anyone have mega's for this season, not a whole lot of buzz this season, and I keep forgetting to get to it.

Nope. 8 a piece through season 10. Maybe a movie after to wrap it all up.

>Best girl is now a man

why

Because is now best boy

There is literally nothing wrong with Pam having a penis.

It doesn't make a lot of sense
why is she a man in archers mind if he slept with her and knows she's a woman

hell, she's the best sex he ever had, chupacabra for dicks and all that

Maybe it's just a fantasy Archer has?

This season better end with him finally learning who his dad is since the last time he was trapped in a fever dream he was resuscitated just as he was about to find out.

Well, all the other characters are exactly how archers sees them.
Kreiger is a mad kraut,Cyril is a sleezy douche, Ray is a sissy etc.

He also thinks of pam in a sexual manner, so him also thinking she's a man would be like admiting his also into dudes, and he's waaaay to deep in the closet to admit that, even to himself

But that's not Cecil.

Krieger will always be best boy

>season finale
What the fuck? It's only been out for, what, a month now? How many episodes have there been?

seven, finale is 8

Cheryl's not a boy this season

That's pretty gay, but alright.

In the period the coma dream is set in a police detective would not have been a woman and his subconscious is period accurate for the most part.

Would his dad then become the big bad of the next season?

Maybe the fact that his dad is evil is what subconsciously led to his fear of alligators.

That is a shit opinion if you think she's best girl

Yes they had sex but she acts much more like his drinking buddy/gross friend than as a romantic or sexual factor in his waking life.

Archer was fucking ruthless when he kept running Barry over. I thought his little "typical" meltdown was the release of all his self-loathing towards his self-destructiveness.

She objectively is. She's cute and is into super-kinky shit. Plus the fact that she's got money, son!

He does have some hardocre ptsd in this setting, so that may explain it

Get your mind out of your pants. Objectivity she is the worst character

Did her and Archer do it anally?

just a tip

If your mind isn't in your pants then none of these people would be appealing. They have too many issues.

figgis is objectively the worst character
he's some woe is me neckbeard who justifies his existence by being good at numbers despite the fact that he champions himself as any more than a slimy garbage person

the other characters are at least echnically competent, content in their own skin, or both

Maybe watch the show and try not to think who would you fuck

I read that as "ethnically competent".

Now who's racist?!

This is why I stopped watching Archer.

>Characters 1 and 2 are having long winded arguments about the situation that could have been easily solved by not yelling at each other.
>Character 3 is now saying random things.
>Climax of the argument about to happen.
>Character 3 screams something completely random.
>Everyone pauses for a moment to acknowledge character 3 random blurp.
>Rinse and repeat.

If at least they showed that he's good with numbers more often, we would knew why the keep him around

Oh I do watch the show. I'd be deluding myself if I thought I could have a peer group even half that intense. That's why none of the drones came back in season 6.

That is if I had a peer in that entire office.

I've meant "try to watch the show without think which characters i want to put my dick inside"

Well I also crave fiscal stability so there's that.

>Just two episodes of ray

awwww, cmon, he's my favourite

fucking trinnet had more screentime

I was surprised to see her back. Do you think she'll show up in another season hunting for child support?

With a 6 year old Seamus in tow

Then Cyril is revealed to be the real father.

Trinnet was pretty great though.

She fits in with the whole group.