Impromptu Wonder Woman storytime

Anyone feel like reading Wonder Woman this late at night?

(Central Standard Time)

Some people get really #triggered by this scene, but calm down, this is the only even slightly misandrist thing in this entire run.

I suppose the Hercules sequence can be seen as misandrist.

It's more meant to show that the Amazons became corrupted by war and thus why they had to be exiled for failing the gods.

Byrne apparently really likes this scene because it redrew it a dozen times in his run.

I know he also likes this scene, for obvious reasons.

Ares:
>I want to fuck that race

We have to be ready. You, me, the others. There's an attack coming from far away.
Not coming, Bruce. It's already here.
The others, where are they?
Arthur Curry, the Aquaman.
It's on him.
Organic and biomechatronic body parts. He's a cyborg.
You should probably move.
Barry Allen.
Whoever you're looking for, it's not me.
You're the Batman?
They said the Age of Heroes would never come again.
It has to.
What are your superpowers again?
I'm rich.
My turn.
Shall we?
It's good to see you playing well with others again.
Dressed like a bat. I dig it.
May be temporary.

Hey Tex.

Gee, I can't possibly imagine what prompted this sudden need to post one of Diana's most well known runs...

Come on, man. Don't let the shitposting casuals get to you.

Perez later had Herc get a redemption arc. Byrne got really butthurt and had Herc go "lol just kidding"

If I can get even one person to give this run a chance, it'll be good.

This isn't a replacement for the regular storytime, just finished my night's business early.

But also I've been thinking about this run again and wanted to read it.

The only part of these first 24 issues that's not top notch is the fight with Decay.

You storytimed this already so I'm just going to say two things before I go to bed:

1. Beacon Hill does not look like that at all.

2. I thought it was pathetic how much help Diana needed to save the day, and in the end she won because her magic lasso fixes everything instead of because of her wits or fists.

I wanted to stress that the Amazons were banished BECAUSE they made war. Someone in another thread made a good post about how the DC Amazons were created specifically as a subversion of the historical ones but I lost it.

Can't argue with that. I think the intention was to show how useful and important the lasso is but it does feel like deus ex machina. Same thing happens in Year One and it's not very satisfying.

Also g'night, user.

As loathe as I am to be "fair" to Byrne, Herc's redemption came just a might too easy for most folks. Ages under the island aside, this kind of thing really needs screen time to be narratively satisfying.

Fair enough. Between the movie and Injustice 2, the shitposting is going to be like a fuckin' tidal wave. Gird thy loins.

Yeah, in a long past thread some gave their opinion on Herc's redemption which is contrived. I can see both sides of it are valid and I'm not even sure which I agree with.

Also the short boardwide meltdown after first reactions to the movie came in was hilarious.

If the movie is indeed as good as people say, that and the largely negative reaction I've seen to Injustice Diana, even from people who prefer that more "warrior" side to her, give me some hope for people here warming up to her more.

Menalippe is kind of like Martian Manhunter, or Deanna Troi in that her shtick is basically reading minds/the future and then immediately being incapacitated.

Fun fact: though the Amazons call this The Flashing Thunder, the official military name for the test when they test her at the airforce base is "bullets and bracelets".

Bump for interest. Never read any WW, is this a good start?

Why is she so perfect?

That was probably me, I've been repeating that a lot lately.

Again, the original Amazons were created by the Greeks essentially as anti-female propaganda. A kind of cautionary tale about what would happen if those wily women got any kind of power.

Our old buddy William and his wives thought that was every bit the disgusting neckbeard pile of whoreshit it is, and so made the DC Amazons the rough opposite of the Greek Amazons. Kind, compassionate, distrustful of men sure, but only because they had suffered the indignities of the ancient world's rampant misogyny. They held arms only for self defense, not to make war, cause war only ever brought them misery.

What's consistently annoying is that despite this being one of the most dirt simple concepts ever, people keep missing the fucking point!

It's THE perfect start!

it's the post-COIE origin

Good post. It's sad that the only thing people are aware of in terms of Golden Age Wondie is "wasn't she made by some sorta sex pervert?"

One of the retroactively disliked aspects of this run is that Perez made Steve Trevor a much older man, and thus was no longer a love interest for Diana.

This is probably the single biggest reason why Steve is still seen today as "uninteresting" and is no longer so closely associated with Wonder Woman.

>even from people who prefer that more "warrior" side to her
In a way, Injustice may have done us a favor. Regime Wonder Woman is so aggressively obnoxious, that even people who just wanted generic warrior woman are getting turned of by this portrayal.

>top panels
Diana is cute. CUTE!

Never ceases to amaze me how nerdy the military gets.

Whereas Lois Lane got a great revamp inspired by both her Golden Age incarnation and the 1978 movie, Steve only got this.

>Regime Wonder Woman is so aggressively obnoxious, that even people who just wanted generic warrior woman are getting turned of by this portrayal.
Lmao, very true.

This statue of Artemis is actually a classic fixture of Paradise Island going back to the Golden Age.

Good old double standards strike again, as nobody ever holds it against Batman that he was created by a repugnant crook.

Hey, if people can wake up to the greatness of Finger, I hope they can wake up to how interesting a man Marston was.

Unexpectedly Hermes later becomes a very important character.

We Raiders of the Lost Ark now

>all of Ares other kids are major villains in this run
>Harmonia gets shit on repeatedly

Well I mean is hard to redempt a character for being abusive and misoginistic in an iconic feminist series.

>severe storm warning
Fuck off, weather, I'm trying to chill

Athena is always showing up to ask for more favors.

And apparently a rapist. Didn't reach that part.

In Rebirth Rucka reimagined Phobos and Deimos as some sort of gay twins or something?

Berger is one of the most based human beings in DC's history

You'd think Byrne would like him then! :^)

Tex, I'm curious for your opinion on something.

You know how people often say Diana is the unfitting third wheel of the Trinity? So here's why that's bullshit. Clark is the bright optimist, Bruce is the dark pessimist, so logically, this should mean that Diana is the mediator, yeah? Except, in practice, no, this doesn't happen. Which is especially baffling given she's her homeland's ambassador, meaning sorting out conflicts is literally her job.

So, got any thoughts on why writers don't do this even though it's staring them right in the face?

I used to think the same thing about Diana, but honestly I see it kind of differently now.

Clark is an optimist but still believes strongly in justice, that criminals should pay for their crimes. He sees the good in people but also the darkness.

Diana is the one who truly believes in and loves all people, even villains.

So in my mind, Clark is the one who would be the mediator there: he is hopeful like Diana, but understands the necessity of violence like Bruce.

Despite that, a lot of writers do give a lot of lip service to the idea of Diana as the diplomat or ambassador, the one who sees both sides. But I don't think they follow through with it at all. A really good example is early on in Injustice (which someone was posting the other day) Diana usually starts an encounter by trying to talk, as if the writer wanted to show that she's diplomatic, but ultimately she jumps straight to whipping out the sword when diplomacy fails.

I think that that's because it's harder to write a superhero who solves problems through alternative means and easy to write them having big fights.

And OK, it's a comic book, so sometimes you gotta have big fights.

BTW if Julia and her daughter Nessia don't become beloved characters to you by the end of this run, you might not have a soul.

Anyway, in one sense Diana is the diplomat, because she wants both sides to be happy and understand each other. But in another sense I don't think her mentality falls right in between Superman and Batman like many say, I see her more as a third point on a triangle.

That's why I think she DOES indeed fit in the trinity, and that she isn't the same as Superman.

He didn't rape any kids, tho.

I say it over and over again but I think people confuse both Superman and Wonder Woman being nice as being the same. Obviously there's not as clear of a dichotomy as there is between Superman and Batman (dark and light, day and night, peanut butter and jelly) but she does indeed have a different viewpoint than Superman.

Think of Superman as the "antifa" people or whatever liberal protest group is big right now, and Diana as a classic hippie.

Joe Casey's Adventures of Superman run had Clark not throw a single punch, he wrote him as a pacifist. I wonder if someone could do the same with Wonder Woman.

strapped in.
thanks OP

My problem with the Trinity is less about differences between him and her and more the fact that he and Bruce are so much closer and more important to each other. I can't see what she adds to the Worlds Finest dynamic.

However, one thing that IS true that people say about Diana's role in the trinity is that she definitely 100% is what holds the three together. Her boundless love makes it hard to stay mad at someone when she's in the room.

Jimenez said that's what he wanted to do with his run. I really want Jimenez to have another shot, at the very least as a co-writer or a plotter.

Thanks for reading, user

I agree for the most part. They're true bros in every sense. I think Diana does have something to add to a trinity and certainly to the League as a whole. But honestly? You just can't beat Superman/Batman.

As some folks in my threads have pointed out, writers do try to push Superman and Wonder Woman as being these great friends, but it always feels forced. They're friends, but don't seem any closer than they are to anyone else on the League.

See, I reject the idea that it's harder to do that. A good writer can add tension to a conversation, and keep it from getting stale by adding variation. A ticking clock, hostages, etc. Even the Injustice example is acceptable, just have her at least try to take a foe down. Hell, have try and negotiate during the fight if you really need an action scene.

Every time I hear "But that's haaaaard!", I can't help but think that's the laziness and creative bankruptcy taking.

Nessie is like Diana's Jimmy Olsen, but with sober discussions of women's issues and a Boston accent. It's pretty great.

And IMO, I do like Diana being perceived as a little bit of a stick in the mud, it gives her a character flaw. Though she can definitely have fun from time to time.

Superman is the friendliest guy ever. So I think that's an aspect that differentiates the two.

Yeah I will say that having her in that extra book is ultimately not a bad thing, even if Trinity has never had a great run. Still the potential for something there.

FED KILLA

And silly Byrne tried to replace her with Cassie.

Trust me, Nessie will become best daughterfu eventually.

You can actually tell the exact point in Byrne's run where he actually reads Perez's run, because suddenly Decay shows up, Diana saves Cheetah through the power of friendship, and he even has a part where he just straight up recaps the entire run and spells out Diana's powers.

The new reader here. I'm liking how this is starting. The gun caught me off guard, that's the sign I'm reading something good. Is she gonna become more mature as the run goes on? She just looks so happy in here, it's weird not seeing her pissed off.