So let me get this straight...

so let me get this straight, their main ambition in life was to become aurors (which is basically police officers of magic world) instead of crafting shitload of muggle money by using magic and living like czars while spending it in muggle world for the rest of their lives? and i am supposed to believe this?

yeah they value integrity, user

That's part, of what the death eaters wanted. To allow wizards to come out of finding and being the ruling class over non-magical and non-humans.
Fucked it all up with that blood purity and murdering shit.
Which makes a lot of sense. I'm not one for Sup Forums's supremacy crap, but if you have one group that can do fucking magic, and another that can't, really hard to argue one isn't superior.

>instead of crafting shitload of muggle money

Which is illegal and would lead them being arrested by Auroras and sent to Azkaban

Never liked the whole "you need to have innate magic powers to be a wizard" shit

Muggles should at least be able to make potions and shit

>tfw dark lord
>about to die so have to make some horcruxes
>make one out of my sisters panties
>she has me inside her pusy without even knowing

It's not technically illegal, it's impossible. It's one of Gamp's Laws of Elemental Transfiguration. It's impossible to create money of any kind by magic.
So you do need a career in the wizard community if you want to live. Also, not everyone wanted to become an Auror, only Harry and Ron really.

>Muggles should at least be able to make potions and shit
Cool concept, although I suppose the harder brews require ingredients that can only be seen by magic folk, while some potions need some incantations iirc

You could still create counterfeit money
Or love potion (which there are zero laws against) some rich person
or go to Vegas with luck potion and become rich, hell you probably wont even need a luck potion

What would the point be in living like a czar when you're still stuck in the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

What else is there to do than become an auror? Seriously name me 10 jobs wizards can do in their world

Teacher
Shop owner
Dragon breeder
Gringots curse breaker
Government person
Im out

I'd want to spend my time researching how magic even works. Like breaking it all down to its lowest quantum components. From what I've seen from the movies at least, not even the Professors have any clue at all.

But why is it impossible? Money is paper and various metals that only have value because societies say the do. If London started using cotton as currency, could they wizards no long do magic knitting?

Quidditch player
Wand maker
Magical singer/band member for some stupid reason

Shit, this is hard

Pubowner

Professional Quidditch player.
Producer of magical goods.
Ministry bureaucrat.
Snatcher.

Reporter!

There is a case of counterfeit money in GoF, the money vanished after a few hours though. It plays a part in one of the side plots they cut out of the film.

I can't give you an answer to that. It's just simply a law of magic, like Newton's law of universal gravitation. It's how magic works and how it has limitations. Another one is that you can't magic up some food out of thin air. You can cook food with magic, you can teleport it to you if you know its location, but you can't create food. I didn't come up with them, it's just the rules of the HP universe.

Never post that image again.

Never fall for pasta again

>ministry office drone
>shop/pub owner at hogsmeade/diagon alley
>teacher at a magic school
>gringotts
>creature caretaker
>pro quidditch player
>reporter at daily prophet
>magical singer
>dark wizard
And that’s it.

Does the book say anything about crypto?

So magic in the Harry Potter universe doesn't create matter well?

w-what

>its impossible to counterfeit money

JK Rowling was a mistake

I didn't you fucking sperg, I'm saying don't post your shitty OC image again, use the proper one.

They're arbitrary limitations she had to pull out of her fucking ass to prevent there being any more gaping plotholes and inconsistencies in the series than there already are.

>There is a case of counterfeit money in GoF, the money vanished after a few hours though. It plays a part in one of the side plots they cut out of the film.

this was always fucking retarded

>ES: How on earth did Fred and George know that Ireland would win and Bulgaria would get the Snitch?

>JKR: Well, I think that if you were really into Quidditch you could have predicted that. What they had -

>ES: But how can you predict that, because you don't know when the Snitch is going to show up.

>JKR: It was a risk. They risked everything on it. That is Fred and George, isn't it? They are the risk-takers in the family. You've got Percy at one end of the family — conform, do everything correctly — and you've got Fred and George, who just take a totally different life path and were prepared to risk everything. They risked all they had, which is as much as anyone can do.

her answer is basically "uhmm are you mansplaining to me? how dare you"

If my nigga Voldeman can make Horcrux shit out of anything I have a hard time seeing why people wouldn't just Alakazam themselves a couple million in the bank and a lambo

Selling date rape spells

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

>It's impossible to create money of any kind by magic.
I could understand that if that was because of the complex anti-counterfeiting features, but they transfigure all kind of shit into completely different kind of shit, like unliving to the living, so "complexity" shouldn't be a problem, since most money is just paper with color inks and some other shit. Hell, just make platinum/gold/silver ingots or diamonds/ruby/whatever valuable stones and crystals and sell. Even just making monocrystalline silicon in big quantities would give you billions.

no you haven't. It doesn't make sense. There are various types of money ranging from metal to paper to weird cloth mixtures. Are you saying wizards can't create coins made of copper?

Obviously not, but I'd imagine wizards wouldn't bother with that or understand it. They don't really do technology, it clashes with everything they do.

You can transfigure just about everything into just about anything, no problem. There's only the five examples from Gamp's Law that don't work. Everything outside of those is possible, so you can create matter out of nothing perfectly well.

>female world building

Fixed that fucking terrible picture of yours.

There is no consistency in the childish works developed by a talentless hack.

What about monopoly money,?

user, even calculators is a mystery to them. And crypto is a pure mathematic. But imagine this - they find somebody who understand crypto, and cast all kind of spells on hardware, so it will work faster, under bigger load, not overheating, using less electricity, etc. The problem would be for them to learn how to adjust spells, since that would require some understanding of how thing work.

>JKR: Well, I think that if you were really into Quidditch you could have predicted that.
Bullshit. There were thousands upon thousands of wizards from all around the world that came to see the World Cup. Fred and George might be into Quidditch but you can't predict that outcome by knowing your stuff, otherwise a lot of people would've bet on that outcome, which would lower the odds dramatically. Why is she even trying to pretend like the twins knew the outcome? It's blatantly obvious from the book that they just put all of their savings into one of the most unlikely outcomes because that would net them the most money. They really wanted the money for their joke shop but their mother didn't approve so they went all-in on the off-chance their bet would win, and they just got lucky, simple as that.

When somebody transfigures something into something else, it's not permanent

In a perfect society, police would get more respect than doctors.

People forget that there are lots of Muggleborns that go to Hogwarts who have been raised as Muggles and know about technology. They could easily use their combined knowledge of Muggle tech and Wizard magic to exploit the system.

There's a reason the books are set in the early 90's, Rowling didn't want widespread use of the internet or modern (at the time of writing) mobile phones to be a thing amongst Muggles. A sequel set in modern times wouldn't work at all now that everyone has a computer in their pocket capable of taking photographs of, or filming magical things happening and sharing it on social media. Wizards couldn't possibly live in secret anymore these days when one single fuck-up can blow their entire cover.

Really laughable that faggots put Kurosawa in this while Kobayashi was better in every way.

>Return of Jedi lowest of original trilogy
Why?

They get at Hogwarts at, what, eleven? That's not really an age when they could lear a lot about how things work in our world. Basic education and games/internet. And then they spend almost a whole year away from civilization for seven years, visiting their families only for a 2-3 months. By the time they graduate, the world at large will change so much that they would look like they spend it in cryo.
Though, Rowling just glazed over complexity relationship with the rest of the world. Well, it's a modern fairy tail, so I suppose that's reasonable, but in reality, especially nowadays, it wouldn't work at all, magic or not.
>There's a reason the books are set in the early 90's
Probably having something to do with the first book being printed in 1997.

the cop out was always that magic interferes with electronics causing them to malfunction when used within magical borders

She just pulls stuff out of her ass whenever cornered by something she didn't think of. Like, in one of the early books she describes Molly Weasley as creating sauce out of the end of her wand, but then years later a fan asks her "whycomes the wizards don't feed dur hungry" and she comes up with this "oh, oh, you can't conjure food" because she couldn't think of another answer that wouldn't make them sound like dicks.

I don't recall that nonsense about money but it wouldn't surprise me if she did say that.

Gun > Wand

Death eaters were going to get literally every wizard genocided because they didn't realize what kind of an unholy fucking storm they were going to call down upon themselves.

Where does this shit come from? Arrogance?

Muggles would get absolutely annihilated if they attacked wizards en-masse. They could teleport next to anyone and mind control them, there is literally no way we could win against the tactics they'd be able to employ.

If I remember right, that was only at Hogwarts because of all those protectives spells and other things. I.e. magic density + certain spells = disruption of electricity flow. Otherwise that would fuck up things for general population even in 90s.

You're not thinking with magic bro. The "I don't want muggles to find this" spell around diagon alley is very good. The muggles can't even tell there's several square miles of the middle of London missing with all their fancy satellites.

Tell me one thing that you could do as a muggle billionaire that you already can't do as a wizard? The Wesley's were implied to be poor and they had the comfiest life anyone could ever dream of. Literally nothing of value would be added to them if they were muggle rich. Besides, why would you want muggle fame and wealth when you're a wizard? Does a lion seek carrots and cabbage to impress the rabbits?

Still enough to have more than basic knowledge, and in the summer they could catch up on things developing in the Muggle world. Also, they get letters from their parents so it's not like going to Hogwarts completely shuts you off from Muggle society. You just can't use technology like phones or the internet in a place like Hogwarts because the massive amount of magic congregated there stops that technology from working.

>There's a reason the books are set in the early 90's
>Probably having something to do with the first book being printed in 1997.
Well yes, but she could see the way technology was going and phones that can take pictures etc are a bit of a problem when writing about a society of magic people living in secret. It's like how even recently written murder mystery stories are set in the 80's or earlier because smartphones destroy all the tension when characters can just call someone/record something/use social media.

pls stop

this. from the books they can even make muggles forget why they were trying to enter said magical location aside from changing the appearance/completely erasing it from view. They can fuck muggles' perception AND memory in different ways to keep certain locations hidden.

it's impossible because it's a fucking children's book

>pulp fiction god tier
god you are such a fucking faggot piece of trash shit

Yeah, humanity would quickly lose the war, though nukes would fly anyway. But there's not so many wizards in their society, and all it takes in one person with a sniper rife or even a knife striking from behind.

Hidden =/= interfering with electronics. Such black holes where cars electronics just shutting of and car crashes would be glaringly obvious once you start investigate.

>Such black holes where cars electronics just shutting of and car crashes would be glaringly obvious once you start investigate
again, a number of protective spells also involve altering human memories and perception

if Rowling really wanted it, she could even have attributed the Bermuda Triangle's methane deposits as part of protective witchcraft, the same way Riordan called the area the Sea of Monsters when the Greek pantheon moved from the old world to the new

>It's like how even recently written murder mystery stories are set in the 80's or earlier because smartphones destroy all the tension when characters can just call someone/record something/use social media.
Or on island without outside interference.

>Or on island without outside interference
or on an island without coverage

Interesting, never thought of that. If it's just about ingredients anyone could do it, and I don't recall reading that muggles are unable to see certain ingredients. The only thing stated is that muggles can't see Dementors, but you would think they also can't see unicorns and centaurs and so forth, either that or the government is ridiculously stealthy at keeping mythical beasts a secret. Come to think of it they did manage to sneak four dragons into the country without attracting suspicion, so maybe muggles really can't see magic stuff

Either work for the ministry or go freelance with your own shop or pub. Even journalists, bank workers and breeders sorta work for the ministry in a way

>again, a number of protective spells also involve altering human memories and perception
That doesn't matter if cars crash at the same place, killing people again and again within the day. People would just send drones and recon teams and watch them from affair to determine radius of working magic.

>Boyhood

ruined pasta

No, her answer is not basically that you idiot. Not saying it's a good answer, it's pretty bad, but stop finding your fucking agenda everywhere.

Yes, triggered [\spoiler]

Or a train, or an aeroplane, anything that confines the plot to a small scale with no contact with the outside world. It's an age old trope still used today because those stories wouldn't work otherwise.

>scientists and investigators send in drones
>drones also crash
>yeah our meters detect some electromagnetic anomaly from a noticeable huge deposit of these minerals or a hugefuck mountain that aren't actually there but were conjured by wizards to look like they were there instead of whatever the fuck place it is they were hiding

think outside the box, user

god tier list. Glad I'm not the only one to see the genius of RotS.

Someone works in wizard candy factories and broom-making sweatshops. It's just all of the british wizards who have jobs in government positions.

And you not thinking at all, like some old wizard who don't understand how things work in modern world, and that such anomalous area would be closed off and monitored 24/7 as highly hazardous once people start dying. Warding eyes off and confusing perception for one small place is one thing, interfering with electronics in the middle of the city is entirely another. Even Rowling wasn't this stupid, thus interfering happens only at Hogwarts and maybe in places away from civilization.

>they value integrity
They clearly have no such values. These are people that could literally cure cancer worldwide in muggles with minimal effort

Not him, but the whole point was that HP could only work in the 1990's. Modern day technology would ruin wizards. You can protect and hide with magic all you want, but it's only going to draw attention.

Why are you trying so hard to make this pasta?

The most misguided thing a person can do is pick at the logic of Harry Potter

I never understood why they had to hide magic from normies, or what the purpose of learning magic was if you can't use it most of the time.. the whole series kind of seemed like a schizophrentic persons fantasy

No shit, the answer for any thing in fiction. The point of asking any question about rules in a fictional universe is to see if it satisfies expectations of internal consistence.

They established their are rules to the universe. "Because I said so" is not a satisfying explanation in a fake universe anymore than it is in real life, even if in both you can bind people by it.

Let me just make clear that this user is fucking around trying to stir up shit. I'm the user who talked about Gamp's Law and tried to have an actual discussion. That user hasn't "refuted" any "representation based arguments", he's just being a cunt.

It's magic mate. Say some words, wave a wand and shit happens. Nothing more to it.

clever

Most people let these things slide while reading because they would rather have a fun and engaging story told to them than "fulfill their expectations of internal consistence" You want to see harry potter stab a fucking snake in the head instead of looking at him do his phd thesis for six years.

Even in 90's cars used electricity to work and generate, and people used a lost of electronic devices. Okay, you confusing people, they don't see your shit or see some unrelated things, but if your magic interfering with electricity at more than half a meter away from your building, you're fucked up - car shut down at best, creating traffic jam for no reason, and people in cars having no idea what's happening and how to get out of there - that's assuming no car will crash traveling at 60 km/h, people talking on the phone losing calls and have to reboot and redial (assuming no data will be lost in process) without remembering what happened, but noticing this happening in one place, people who have to set time anew in their electronic clocks, people living nearby should be all mages using candles and fire, otherwise entire area is unhabitable, cables going trough that area not working, etc, etc.
Don't fuck with electricity if you want to stay hidden, such black holes only attracting attention, and people WILL find a way.

>I never understood why they had to hide magic from normies, or what the purpose of learning magic was if you can't use it most of the time.. the whole series kind of seemed like a schizophrentic persons fantasy

it's the fantasy of young kids who want to be swept away to a fairy-tale world of magic and adventure. the world needs to appear on the surface the same as our real world or else it wouldn't have that small element of believability in the eyes of children. that's one of the things that makes it popular. and like any fairy-tale, introducing logic into the scenario is beside the point, or would actively undermine the whimsical tone which makes it appealing.

unfortunately for rowling her fans all grew up and a lot of them turned out to be autists who can neither let go of the books nor accept that they are just for kids, so they write lengthy fanfiction instead trying to "fix" the series.

>I never understood why they had to hide magic from normies

There is a really simple and believable explanation for hiding magic from humans. Even if they don't go full salem trials you would definitely be persecuted.

>Someone works in wizard candy factories and broom-making sweatshops
Molly Weasley could enchant her dishes to wash themselves, I bet owners of wizarding industries can find people to enchant an assembly line for them.

You're making the mistake of thinking that being a wizard causes technology and electricity to stop working when you're near.
It's only Hogwarts and Hogsmeade that stops that stuff from working properly because there's a fuckload of wizards and witches there, and the magic is dense. If you're a wizard walking around London, cars and clocks don't stop working. Only in places with a dense population of magic people does that interfere with tech

and you're still not taking into consideration wizard government planted wizards in key muggle government positions and even keep in close contact with the muggle prime minister to keep flow of information in check

That's the whole point of conversation - interfering with electricity happens only in Hogwarts (and actually only once you cross the gates), or in places where you can't teleport and there's a lot of heavy security spells. Nobody was stupid enough to do this in the cites.

The Wizarding government has an entire department dedicated to keeping magical shit in check and they run around the clock altering memories of people who witnessed whatever the fuck they did in case one of their protective barriers fail.

Magic interferes with electronics period, there's nothing to suggest it's unique to Hogwarts, but it's only mentioned in relation to there because (a) that's where Harry wanted to use electronics, and (b) Hermione read the fact in Hogwarts: A History. Magic clearly isn't stupid and hiding the existence of magical areas includes hiding its interactiosns with the real world (nobody has ever noticed thousands of owls appearing and disappearing over London daily either).

And electricity has been in daily use in London for at least 50 years by this point anyway, if such an effect occurred it would have been noticed already.

You thought 2-2 was 1 you dumb faggot.

pic related for that retard that still can't grasp the multitudinous ways magic can interfere with electricity and how wizards have literally dozens of ways to keep their shit hidden from people

>you would definitely be persecuted
Or asked to fix every little fucking problem they have.

There's also the time in Prisoner of Azkaban when Harry is getting pissed at Aunt Marge and all the lights start flickering. So never mind casting magic, just pissing off a wizard would fuck up your TV if they weren't warding to hide it.

>So never mind casting magic, just pissing off a wizard
this IS voldemort just getting pissed off. im surprised there isnt a better gif or webm of this

You can't control information flow with death toll in one place and internet/phones everywhere.

Yeah. Now imagine they had to deal with a whole crowd passing certain point at hourly basis, not a singe cases.

>And electricity has been in daily use in London for at least 50 years by this point anyway, if such an effect occurred it would have been noticed already.
Which means magic didn't interfering with electricity just because, you either need certain spells, or using magic analog of EMP, shutting down everything.

>You can't control information flow with death toll in one place and internet/phones everywhere
but they can control muggle government to put detour signs or stop signs jfc you're so narrow and dense

>Now imagine they had to deal with a whole crowd passing certain point at hourly basis, not a singe cases.
protective spells already fuck up with muggle memory, their agents are there for freak shit that goes out of normal control

Sure, while reading that's fine, but we're not reading at the moment, we're discussing. And in discussing a story, we evaluate the merits and weaknesses, one aspect of which is how well it explains and follows it's own rules. Otherwise, we'd just be summarizing the finite set of events that happen in the books.
Since most people here are out of middle school and not writing book reports, it's perfectly fair to question why in world where people can fly, shoot fire, teleport and do all sorts of other things that are impossible, that the apparently mundane task of making money can't be done.

>so they write lengthy fanfiction instead trying to "fix" the series
Best thing about Harry Potter to be desu