Hey remember that great narrative driven show from a few years ago?

>Hey remember that great narrative driven show from a few years ago?

>Well guess what we're rebooting it
>In a cutesy post-flapjack art style
>And removing all the overarching plot
>in favor of self contained episodes
>Also lots of random crude humor
>Well even make call backs to original show, becuase fan service right?

Seriously does anyone have some concrete reasoning as to how and why this trend is continuing? I don't even like cartoons but this is bugging me so much.

The new ben 10 is actually pretty okay. I found myself watching full episodes when I would come across it on TV, and enjoy it. Not as good as Omniverse though. Their should be like comic spinoff of the original continuity. Their is so much untapped potential for the series.

Fosters or Courage is next I know it

OK. I'll call your bluff. Name 5 instances. In fact, name 2.

Ben 10 is pretty much identical in tone to the original series- the mediocre sequels are what turned into a serial- and PPG was NEVER narrative driven.

Those were niche toons.
The fanbase was devoted but small so no use in merchandising it.

>Ed edd and Eddy reboot
>All the faults of the last season cranked up to ten, political correctness and forced diversity everywhere

>Courage the cowardly dog reboot
>Becomes a lulsorandum mockery of its source with none of the impact of the original
>Also course speaks fluent English at all times and uses his transformation as a means to communicate gag as an actual power

>Dexters lab reboot
>Swap Deedee and dexters intellect . Dexter becomes a showboating idiot who takes credit for all of Deedee's work because boys aren't allowed to be smart anymore and the producers didn't wanna offend anyone by showing a girl being a girl
>Also the parents get marital problem episodes because functional families are a myth in tv land

This is not a future I wanna live in...

PPG and Ben 10 both had a lot of character growth yeah they were a bit a monster of the weekish but they had more heart than this. Over all the new shows have a wackier more simple tone to them.

B10(2016) is so inconstant in tone when it comes to B10 and AF. Gwen who was a slightly grounded voice of reason has become more of an annoying/bratty side kick also Ben is way more reckless with his powers yeah he was reckless but it also felt way more well written as well as his arch and growth. Also Ben 2017 is way more wackier and less grounded than the original.

Also don't even get me started on TTG

>Ed edd and Eddy reboot
Cartoon Network can't legally do this, Antonucci still owns all of the rights to EEnE.

Oh fuck off OP. Television programming is a gamble. The only reason Teen Titans go has lasted for so long is because kids watch it. The execs weren't all rubbing their hands, and planning on making 100 episodes of the show from the beginning.

Also Television is super unprofitable now. Cartoon Network is hemorrhaging money because less people watch TV, and Ben 10, and Powerpuff girls sold a shit ton of merchandise in the past. They aren't doing it to rake in big bucks. They are doing it to stay afloat. TV as we know it will be dead in like 10 years.

extremely unlikely. Both shows were jerked around in scheduling. Sign that they didn't get a lot of attention from viewers

Why am I using my broadcast production education to argue with neets on Sup Forums?

their is no incentive to reboot those shows.

>Why am I using my broadcast production education to argue with neets on Sup Forums?
I don't think it was worth much in the end.

Thank fucking Christ .

Also I was thinking , what's the last cartoon to have a male protagonist that wasn't borderline actually retarded ? I'm not saying he has to be a super genius (but bonus points if that's not his gimmick) , but at least somewhat smart , or cunning , or at least not autistic

I mean as much as I hate Adventure Time, Regular Show and Stephen Universe: They've proven that people still like and care for well thought out cartoons.
Dexter is the only one I viably see happening, TV isn't edgy enough to pull off a real scary courage, part of that show's appeal and why it stuck with us was how relentlessly scary it was

I just wanna shoot local PBS type shit, and commercials. Not in it to be a fucking artist.

I'm honestly rooting for you user.
I hope you have luck in your field.

TTG isn't even that bad, kids love it and it makes fucking bank, why stop it?. Ben 10 reboots aren't exact shit, except the most recent one, fuck that one.

CN always clinged to stupid or not bright characters since its old days, just for the sake of comedy. Last original show to not follow the gimmick is probably the characters from Sym-Bionic Titan.

Aren't intelligence and autism linked?

>TTG isn't even that bad

Turn a beloved cartoon into a generic serial shell of it's former self. It has no heart they don't even feel like their hero self just characters with gimmicks

I agree with this, actually. TTG's main crime is possibly the fact that CN airs it so goddamn much.

Where do you live? The US has required public access television channels because technically the citizens have legal ownership of the airwaves. I think some states have free equipment and studios for people to use.

>The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
>Irwin becomes the smartest character on the show because diversity
>only the male characters get affected by slapstick and females are safe from it
>Grim's scythe gets replaced with a shovel and he turns into a pony-loving closet homosexual
>all humor related to death or afterlife is retconned and the art style becomes softer and extremely saturated with bright primary colors

>KND
>Numbah 5 becomes the Numbah 1 of the team
>Numbah 3 becomes the mechanical genius instead of Numbah 2
>Numbah 4 will be given Numbah 3's old personality because having a rowdy boy is a no-no

>Johnny Bravo
>Carl gets replaced with a strong independent female best friend for Johnny who explains to him when he's being misogynistic and how women should be treated as well as how amazing they are
>Johnny gets treated unfairly with uber-violent slapstick even when he asks for a date politely and gets harshly criticized when he rejects a woman asking him out
>all classic movie and music references get abandoned for the sake of current millennial slang and culture that will be outdated 2 years from now

>generic serial shell of it's former self. It has no heart they don't even feel like their hero self just characters with gimmicks

generic, maybe. but the show is quite literally aimed for kids not the generation that saw the original. who gives a shit about " heart " and that other dumb shit when they keep watching and CN rakes in millions of dollars. and the show itself is definitely not as terrible as everyone makes it out to be.

>he turns into a pony-loving closet homosexual
So he remains the same.

>WAFFLES WAFFLES WAFFLES
>"durr its not as terrible as ppl maek it seem!!!"

>but the show is quite literally aimed for kids not the generation that saw the original. who gives a shit about " heart " and that other dumb shit when they keep watching and CN rakes in millions of dollars.
I thought we moved past this mindset after the 80s.

>kids around the world laughing while CN rakes dimes
>you, a grown man(hopefully,also not the target demographic) is not

really boggles the ol cranium ya think

absolutely, CN airing shows way too much has been a recent problem

The first one was aimed at kids too. I guess 2010's kids just don't like action shows.

Do you work for CN or something?

Nigger, I can call something terrible even if it's not targeted for me, it's just like how I don't watch Daniel Tiger's neighborhood but I know that it's a very good educational show for my son because it has actual quality.

Stop shilling for Cartoon Network's shitty shows.

Rugrats all grown up?
Why do people pretend this is new?

I mean it's not bad awful, but it's not watchable for more than and episode. It's not teen titans which is the bigger issue not meaning that it's not the original meaning they're not super heros. And I get we're not CN's target audience but at same time it seems like such a waste of the characters. I hate whatever goes type shows, but this one has no real logic or rules. At least in Jimmy Neutron and Fairly Odd Parents it made sense in their universes canon. In TTG like they just fought a Dragon, and now they're talking about WWE. They only well done episode they had was The Whisper one.

I guess it's jut the bigger issue that feels like every cartoon is treating it's kids like they're dumb. I'm not asking for fantasia but shit like PPG, uncle Grandpa, and TTG are pretty much the same show

I guess it just irks me that you have they show with well developed super heroes that have lots of potential and they don't do anything. It's like an entire plot device that is never used until it's convent and even then it's not really used. (and again I get they've done that prior in the original show) but instead we just get random XD

yes.

Sup Forums tends to hate lazy comedy more than anything else
I mean sure teen Titans fans hate go to death anyways but to me it's just family Guy for kids

What trend? The only reboots I can think of are TTG, which you described in your post, and PPG and Ben 10, neither of which fall in line with your complaints

This. Everything will be all streaming or On Demand soon and broadcast television will be reduced to local newscasting and public television

Not to mention that fags here always complain about how networks produce and market products now but never put their money where their mouth is and then act surprised when shit they like gets canceled

Why doesn't cartoon network make the transition into setting up a streaming network?

Because it's more expensive than people think and while television is dying, its still profitable for the time being

>Samurai Jack season 5 ends with Jack dying
>Just for CN to make a show about Ashi's adventures

They're cheap to make, and television is dying out so cost is everything.

American Television is only dying because doomsayers always keep babbling about how streaming will replace television, so they stop caring about thier channels. They simply do not play television for it's strenghts. They do not make thier TV channels cozy, they do not keep the sheudles diverse, they do not try to indroduce the viewers into new stuff without shoving it down thier throats. Television can actually be really profitable if played for it's strenghts, but the problem is that American Television lost it's soul and thier identity, they instead try to copy streaming, airing the same shit over and over again, which gives them less potential fandoms and kills thier profits.

I see what u did there OP?

>>in favor of self contained episodes
I wish we went back to actually self contained episodes with bare references to what happened.
Nowadays these nu storyborders can't do proper overarching plot and instead stick to self-""""""""""contained""""""""""" episodes that come in bursts when they feel like their viewership and fanboyism is dropping. Yes I get that they want to show the world and etc. but either stick to the world and plot or stick to being self contained.

Tell me user, what do you think is better:

1. Being able to watch whatever you want whenever you want, as many times as you want on whatever device you want.

2. Forced to watch whatever is on, at the mercy of the network.

TV has no advantage over streaming.

>>Dexters lab reboot
>>Swap Deedee and dexters intellect . Dexter becomes a showboating idiot
they already own Johnny Test

Number 1 allows you to see everything, but in reality, it will only be used to watch the popular stuff while the less popular or known stuff is rotting away under the carpet. The second option, if done right, can give you access to way more stuff as you actually see content from the less known stuff outside of a thumbnail on Netflix. If the TV channel isn't shitty, you will be confronted with more different stuff on TV than on Streaming despite Streaming having a near-infinite ammount of series.

Currently TV has the advantage of not being Youtube.

For a little while there, it looked like all entertainment really could switch over to the internet, but now look what's happened. There's ONE legal streaming game in town, and it's called Youtube. Google has a near total monopoly. Sure, there's also Vid.me and Dailymotion, but who goes to those places. They may as well not exist.

And what is Google promoting? Not cartoons. Not high production TV dramas. No, they don't care about that. They're promoting entertainment on a level somewhere below the complexity of reality TV. Youtube is worse for structures entertainment than TV has ever been. No amount of executive meddling is as poisonous as Youtube's system of sabotaging high-effort entertainment.

That's what TV has going for it now. It still produces shows that aren't Pewdiepie.