Did the MCU do him justice?

Did the MCU do him justice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P160_odTwyY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The MCU did the best they could with a joke gimmick villain and make him a legitimate threat.

So no

I think so. Aside from making him a Celestial I don't have any complaints, and that's more about what it does to the Celestials than what it does to Ego.

yeah, he was different in some ways but the spirit of the character was effectively conveyed

Are you retarded?
Ego honestly was one of the better handled ideas in goty2.

I mean they put a face on a fucking planet, I think that is pretty damn good.

Definitely more than FOX or anyone else would have done.

>a legitimate threat.
>LITERALLY defeated by a pacman gag

I'm still holding out hope that that's just what he thinks he is. Here's this crazy powerful, almost god-like being, hear's whispers of these big bad niggas called Celestials and figures "Hey, I guess that's what I am, who else could it be?" when he's never seen an actual Celestial.

but that's not how he was defeated

Just like how Ronan was LITERALLY defeated by dancing, right?

Yeah he was like totes defeated by le Pac-Man and not a bomb XD

just like Ronan was totes defeated by le epic dance-off and not an Infinity Stone XD

>implying its mutually exclusive
juxtaposition of the silly and the serious is pretty awesome and gives a lot of charm to the movie

Ego was never a joke gimmick villain in the comics though. He was always a serious threat.

>Put a brief image of a face on the surface of a planet
People eat it up, and say how much Marvel loves there fans
>Put the classic Wolverine costume in a box as a gift to Logan
HOW FUCKING DARE THEY NOT GIVE US HUGH JACKMAN IS A SILLY COSTUME THAT DOESN'T WORK IN LIVE-ACTION!

He only stated that he was a celestial. They have also already shown what a real one looks like.

Except in Marvel Adventures when he tried to turn the Earth into a woman that he could fuck but everyone was silly in Marvel Adventures and that's why I miss it ever day you're not going to see the Avengers play Galactus in a game of baseball for the fate of the world anytime soon.

Did you actually watch the movie or did you just judge it by an out of context camrip webm you saw posted on Sup Forums?

I'm upset that there isn't any fan art of Ego trying to rape planetary beings like Mogo or Hellstar Remina.

Jesus Christ, and people say MCU dialogue is cringey.

Ego left Earth alone cause it had life forms on it. He's hardly a threat.

This is the Marvel Adventures Ego, right?

Non-canon. I know for a fact that in regular comics Ego has endangered the Earth and other planets multiple times, life forms be damned.

Anyone else think it's weird that he's a literal oversized brain though? I feel like that has to be indicative of his origins. Like he was a premature celestial or something.

Also, on the subject of weird coincidences, it's rather odd that classic Star-Lord's dad was the son of a man named Eson, while MCU Star-Lord's dad claims to be a Celestial in a universe where Eson the Searcher is known to have existed.

>I'm still holding out hope that that's just what he thinks he is.
No, him being a Celestial is the Reason Quill could touch the purple stone. It's pretty much confirmed.

The amusing thing to me is that in the comics Ego's brain is canonically about as big as the moon.
In fact, John Byrne did an entire story about Ego solely because his autism couldn't accept how "small" Ego's brain was shown as being in an earlier Thor comic, so he established that it was just a fake, with Reed Richards commenting how it's too small for it to be Ego's real brain.
And then the movie has Ego's brain be about as big as the original "fake" brain.

Game of the Year 2?

I suppose long lost celestial works more than random planet became alive one day and got rockets installed into his ass so he can fly around.

Never got how he was a peer power to Galactus...Yet the Nova Worldmind can still take him over

Say Ego the Living Planet out loud and tell me he isn't a joke

>Say Doctor Doom out loud and tell me he isn't a joke
>Say Galactus the Devourer of Worlds out loud and tell me he isn't a joke
>Say Annihilus the Living Death that Walks out loud and tell me he isn't a joke
>Say Fin Fang Foom out loud and tell me he isn't a joke
>Say the Dread Dormammu out loud and tell me he isn't a joke

>I get all my knowledge of movies from shitposting threads! KINO XD

my fucking sides

I thought Byrne likes small brains.

Source?

Remember that time when Ego the Living Planet was considered to be one of the Elders of the Universe for some reason?

Oni Press Color Special 2001

> Hellstar Remina
Now THAT would be a cross-over
Just imagine Remina licking Ego and then them kissing...

But Metallo, Darkseid, Brainiac, Gorilla Grodd, Bizarro, Starro, and Psycho Pirate are perfectly fine names that would never make anyone smirk

He was also hanging out with the abstracts for a while in the early 90's too.

He's just the giant cosmic nerd that keeps trying to be in everyone else's club all the time.

> eGO
> moGO
Is this a trend? To give sentient planets a name ending with GO?

>years later, Remina's orphaned moon-sized "son" is "found" by Ego
>he's about to drink the Expansion Kool-Aid
>"Ah yes. My little Hellstar with her big beautiful eyes and that sacred, primal soul...it broke my heart having to put that tumor in her core."

And they are all a hell of a lot better than Doom, Dr Doom, or Von Doom. Marvel names are shit

>Compares names that makes interesting puns or are genuinely creative to Marvel's straight forward Bad word as a name methodology.

Yea user, calling your villains DOOM or EGO are totally creative and original

>Thinking the company that brought you Roy G. Biv has any kind of creative bone in their body

They're both awful.

So Ego
Was there two other living planets called Id and Super Ego?
If not, then that just seems like lost opportunity.

I mean part of me things his eyes should just be lakes of lava or acid and his beard should be forest

on the other hand fuck that shit, Give me floating head planet

>Brainiac

lol

Better, he was closer to Zeus and mormon Jesus.

IIRC there was a super-ego but he was a living universe which is not unlike movie's ego expansion plans I suppose

Id is a moon, he got killed by Nick Fury, the white one.

That was a from a joke issue of Marvel Parodying themselves

ITT: marvel shills

No it was a serious issue

There's also Alter-Ego

Id, the Selfish Moon

Well shit I don't know if that makes it funnier or less

And Ego Prime (who MCU Ego's avatar was based on)

I always rememberedtgis bloke as a somewhat anti nutrual, mostly in it for himself and willing to lend when it suits him.
Remember that time he let those alien refugees settle on him till he help them find a home, only for Ego to go nuts and eat them all.
>Not the way to die m8's

Whatever helps you sleep at night...

Ego predates Mogo by several years. It is possible that Alan Moore took inspiration from Ego when creating Mogo, who knows.

>48 HOURS REMAIN

>0.02$ deposited in your MarvelWallet!

Remember that time an Ego was eaten by Marvel Zombies?
Kinda shame really, would be funny to have The Living Zombie Planet

Is that Pops and Anti-Pops fused?

youtube.com/watch?v=P160_odTwyY

I was disappointed but pleasantly surprised. Great evil scheme. I liked all the play on him being Ego and his ego.

I wanted/expected a huge armada battle with thousands of ships bombing a living planet. I thought that's what all the shit with specifically mentioning how many Ravager clans there were and stealing the batteries from...the gold aliens so they sent a huge fleet to follow them. So the final battle was pretty big let down. But not bad.

I dare to say they improved him.

Just dropped by to call you a faggot.

>Put the classic Wolverine costume in a box as a gift to Logan
That was a deleted scene. They were too embarrassed of the source they left it out in the edition room.

It might be indeed autism, but I do like when writers do that kind of stuff.

How the handled him and how true to his character the were are two separate things you fucking retard.

Sure the handled him well, made the idea of a giant living breathing planet more grounded in "reality" and easier to swallow, but in doing so the strayed from the source material i.e. the didn't do it justice.

Who the fuck ever mentions Ronan when talking about threatening MCU villains?

How the fuck is a living brain that formed a planet around him more grounded?

Ego was effectively a living planet that wanted to take over the universe that's the entirety of Ego's character in the comics.

The GotG bandwagon

Next you're going to tell me there's a Super Ego, the living Universe.

>Sure the handled him well, made the idea of a giant living breathing planet more grounded in "reality" and easier to swallow, but in doing so the strayed from the source material i.e. the didn't do it justice.

You're a fucking idiot.

What do you guys think about Girl Moon?

The MCU made him better.

he IS one of the Elders.
The Elders are an heterogeneous group of individuals from difference species that achieved pseudo-immortality and cosmic might through sheer OBSESSION and Power Primordial at the dawn of the universe-

Ego is one of them.

They fucking FIXED him.
Comic Ego's a continuityfags nightmare. Every new appearance they ignore everything from his last one, write their own shit, and get ignored in turn next time.
"Celestial without a shell" honestly makes more sense than any origin he's had since the first one by Kirby. This is maybe the one synergy retcon that the comics SHOULD steal.

Yeah, Elder's more of a descriptor than an inborn thing.
Surfer's technically an Elder. He threatened them with it when they tried to blow up his home planet ("I'll be the last of my kind, which means I'll join you, which means I will BUG THE SHIT OUT OF YOU FOR ETERNITY"), and later on his race got extincted anyway.

well, he's not OBSESSED enough to be an Elder.

OBSESSION is the defying trait of the Elder, they couldn't die of age as long as they kept pursuing their obsession.

When exactly was Ego's last appearance before showing up in Nova a few months ago?

The definining trait of being an Elder is being the last survivor of one of the first species in the universe, as well as having the Power Primordial.

Thanos: A God up there Listening

If Ego can create his own human body, why did his body physically age? He looked like someone who had reasonably aged from 1980 to 2014.

More specifically: Elder=somebody from the earlier species of the Universe who got so OBSESSED about something, they managed to access and manipulate the Power Primordial from the early stages of the universe granting them limitless lifespan and various powers.

Still, the OBSESSION is integral part of being an Elder: the Gardener's wife died out because she stopped obsessing about gardening enough.

I believe the obsession part is more of a quirk rather than an absolute must to be considered an Elder.

Yeah, the idea is that without having some kind of obsession, they would literally die of boredom.

Probably for what Peter expected him to be.

didn't they also anger Death who cursed them to never die?

TAAAAAAAAAASER FACE

I wonder if they were trying to make egos name less of a joke by proximity.

Ego said that he was no bigger than Earth's moon, which in fact makes him not a planet at all.

This He explains he took a form Peter would feel more ok with.

There's also the possibility that his different "creations" might age in real time to resemble mortal life.as much as possible. Once one dies he can just construct another one.

All of those are better than his French name, Docteur Fatalis.

Hi, we actually watch and read the things we criticize here, unlike Sup Forums where you came from and need to return to immediately

that was later, as a reaction to the death of The Gardener's wife.
The Grandmaster devised a scheme to anger Death so they wouldn't die even if they stopped obsessing.

The Elders are also the last survivors of their respective species. That isn't Ego at all