What are the best Elseworlds stories?

What are the best Elseworlds stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicvine.gamespot.com/flashpoint/4050-6324/
youtube.com/watch?v=cPembXZMKv0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kingdom Come (many people forget this was an Elseworlds but check the logo on the cover!)
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
Batman: Holy Terror
The Golden Age
Wonder Woman: Amazonia
Elseworld’s Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl
Justice League: The Nail
Superman and Batman: World’s Funnest
Batman and Dracula: Red Rain
JSA: The Liberty File
Superman/Batman: Generations
Batman: In Darkest Knight
Batman/Houdini: The Devil’s Workshop

I actually didn't like Superman: Red Son as much as most people seem to, but it's also decent.

Good list, even though I disagree with a couple of them.

brb, making a rec image because goddamn it, Sup Forums needs them back with all these newfags around

I think it's important in this thread to differentiate between BEST and INTERESTING. A lot of Elseworlds had interesting premises or ideas but mediocre-to-bad execution.

Superman: Speeding Bullets (what if Kal-El's ship hand landed on the Wayne's property not the Kent's) is a neat idea but the actually story kind of sucked, for example.

The Doom that came to gotham.

Flashpoint was pretty neat. NOT the event that lead to the Nu52, but the 1999 miniseries about a divergent timeline where in the 60s Silver Age Barry Allen prevents the Vietnam War and saves JFK.

comicvine.gamespot.com/flashpoint/4050-6324/

Superman: Last Son of Earth is probably my favorite. I don't think I've read any that are particularly well written though. Just kind of interesting ideas played out for a while.

Why did the Elseworlds thing die? DC hasn't done even one in years, I think. They're a lot of fun, even the bad ones, and let creators play around with characters in ways they would normally never get to.

CW's The 100 has my favorite Superman

Didio put a stop to them (although Maggin's Superman Last Family of Krypton managed to sneak through). I forgot the reason, either he felt there were too many mediocre ones diminishing the line or they may have been planning to bring back the Multiverse and so they just didn't need the Elseworlds banner anymore.

75% of them were shit

Even with the multiverse back they still don't often to Elseworlds type stories. They need a dedicated line again.

Maybe a "Tales From The Multiverse" book.

Sure, but most were still pretty fun.

Superman the last family of Krypton
Batman nine lives
Batman thrillkiller
Batman two faces
JLA the nail
JSA golden age
Green Lantern evil's might

No one's stopping writers from writing elseworlds in their ongoings.

This is an old and incomplete thing I did years ago but it's for Legends of the Dead Earth, which is kinda Elseworld-y

IIRC I storytimed that Man of Steel and people didn't like it but I stand by everything else.

I'll dump a few covers of some of the more obscure AU stuff.

I'm looking for a particular Elseworld. Set in 1950 I think and Lex used to work for Czar of Russia.

This one is a bit EXTREME but it does a nice job of showing how 90s comics could do "monochrome" really well.

Kevin Costner?

Sounds like Elseworld's Finest (the Batman/Superman one)

Perhaps.

This one is okay although it will trigger Sup Forumssters

A bit of an odd duck now and sort of a two-parter with the Superboy annual.

Mignola draws the best cape covers.

This one actually has three stories.
1st is good, 2nd is okay, 3rd is meh.

Not sure if it strictly counts as Elseworlds, but whatever.

Space Aztec Superboy

Another edgy entry but gorgeous art.

Generally speaking, I do not like Chaykin's comics. But I do like this one. Not recommended if you're a fan of Diana, J'onn, or Kyle though.

>Kingdom Come
Yeah and The Dark Knight returns is good too.

Technically Elseworlds, technically not, Chase One Million is a shadier look at The System with some really nice art + layout.

There's the Nightwing thing coming up

As others sid, it's because they were kind of crappy. i think the problem is, they have these cool ideas, and the fucking waste it with terrible execution (See "Superman: Kal"). I think with the quality control DC has now, they could bring Elseworlds back and make it good

>DKR
>not good

Now now, let's not shitpost.

The future Team Titans in this annual would later star in their own ongoing until most of them got Zero Hour'd

Another two-parter.

> not listing Justice Riders
come the fuck on

Yes that's exactly it,thank you my friend

Not really. They were tedious.

I almost forgot Kamandi at Earth's End, not to be confused with the inferior sequel, Superman at Earth's End.

It feels like something out of 2000 A.D.

It's an abomination.

I haven't read all the Elseworlds and Imaginary Stories but I've read enough of them to list some of the awful ones. These are the ones I recommend avoiding:
>Batman: Dark Allegiances
>JLA: Created Equal
>JLA: Act of God
>The Kingdom
>Superman: True Brit
>Conjurors
>Power of Shazam One Million

Too many had a decent pitch that flopped in practice.

Gotham Noir was pretty damn good

Mxy going all out is always fun

I remember reading these as a kid, having no idea what "canon" was and assuming I was supposed to take these at face value.

They're doing one right now

youtube.com/watch?v=cPembXZMKv0

I had a similar experience with a 70s(?) Superman comic where Supergirl was telling Superman that he wasn't an alien but a human mutant. It really messed up my understanding for a few years.

Let's get one thing straight, the FIRST Generations miniseries was great. Generations II & III had some interesting ideas, buried under a lot of... well, John Byrne.
I remember somebody posted the textless art for that when it was being sold on eBay - genuinely made me appreciate composition in comics a lot, and taught me a few things to boot.
>Superman: Kal
I have a copy of that somewhere, signed by Dave Gibbons... lovely man.
>Superman: True Brit
When did John Cleese turn into such a hack? He's doing fucking PPI adverts these days!
>Conjurors
I liked the idea of Ted Kord being this tech genius in a world where magic did everything anyway
Oh, and add Catwoman: Guardian of Gotham to that list

When you grow up a little you'll come to understand that striking a contrarian pose doesn't make anyone think you're smart.

>both universally regarded as high points of their respective decades
>some edgy kid on Sup Forums will set everyone straight

>This one is okay although it will trigger Sup Forumssters

Why? Features a black person or a woman?

>I liked the idea of Ted Kord being this tech genius in a world where magic did everything anyway
Yeah but he gets cucked at the end by the status quo returning. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Hal and Guy are literal Nazis
Jon is a resistance member
Jon and Carol are lovers
Hal finds out and is furious
eventually he kinda gets over it
Jon wins by harnessing the power of all the victims of Nazi oppression

What's it like living without a soul?

No mention of Green Lantern: 1001 Emerald Nights yet? It's worth reading for the art alone, though I found the story good enough too.

Trivia: it features Hal in drag.

I wish Guay still did MTG cards.
I wish MTG didn't suck now.

That GL annual was fucking incredible.

Is this elseworldskino?

So basically "what if everyone had jackets"?

While it's not under the elseworld banner Batman year 100 was great, it's basically Batman vs totalitarian governments it's probably the best mini popes ever done

There's also an alien invasion and human insurgency!

Batman of Berlin's a back-up in that, that one definitely counts. Always loved how Year 100 just skirts around the idea of Batman not aging a day since 1939 a century into the future.

I love Superman Inc.

These are my favourite kinds of Elseworlds. Take DC superheros and put them in cool historical and fantastical settings. I want a Justice League Knights of the Round Table. It could even be a series called "The Once and Future Kryptonian" or something

What the actual fuck? This is why we don't have more Elseworlds.

Also technically not an Elseworlds story, but the point stands

>j.h.williams III

what the hell

someone storytime?

>brb, making a rec image because goddamn it, Sup Forums needs them back with all these newfags around

I think it was around 09-10 there was a great non-disney required viewing image macro. Had things like The Last Unicorn and felidae.

Oh fuck, I thought I was the only one!

As cliche as it was, that part where Supes' black best friend dies hit me hard, especially when he regrets fighting with him and stays awake all night looking at the stars.

the one where he was a priest and his parents ran an abortion clinic

Reading Justice Riders with The Ecstasy of Gold in the background is achieving Nirvana

Batman Holy Terror?

Superman: Kal is about Kal's ship landing in medieval England. It's not very good, tough.

Yeah, I've read it. I prefer Shogun of Steel as a Superman Elseworlds

Watchmen :^)

>Justice League in high school
>Justice League in prehistory [spoilers] Flintstones crossover?[/spoiler]

Make it happen, Based Johns

I mean, there was a booster gold/flinstones crossover, so anything can happen.

That's the beauty of Elseworlds. Everything can happen. Everything will happen.

That's the power of love

What's the premise? Supergirl in a Superman-less universe?

I liked The Doom That Came to Gotham much more than Gotham by Gaslight, honestly.