Doctor Who General - /who/

They're gonna get you edition

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/09/pearl-mackie-doctor-who-interview-companion-not-many-like-me-on-tv
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZKp0Hdulf0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

6' vs 5'11"

All right, come up with a new color scheme.

I absolutely despise Doctor Who with raw fucking passion and I say that as a true fan

name my band

Who's the manlet?

6' vs 5'11.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999'

I meme you not

>Series 9
>Series 4
>Series 5
>Series 8
>series 3
>Series 1
>series 2
>Series 6
>Series 10
>Series 7

just fuck already

>/who/ presents:
DOCTOR WHO: SHIT TRIPS Vol. 2.5
- The Anthology -

>Are you a true fan of Doctor Who?
>Have you ever written down a sequence of words?

If the answer is yes or no, then you are ready to contribute a literary masterpiece to the third /who/ collection of original Doctor Who-based short fiction, because following the success of Shit Trips 1 and 2, /who/ has started another anthology of wondrous tales. God help us.

This time, the rules will be a tad different, as in we actually have rules now. The stories must be about:

> alternate Doctors (original Doctors, fanmade Doctors, Unbound Doctors, Doctors of wild divergence from canon)

> spinoff characters from audios, books, comics, etc (Torchwood, Erimem, Faction Paradox, Vienna, Sarah Jane Adventures, Iris Wildthyme, etc)

>companion focused stories (stories with the companion facing a threat, or dealing with life, WITHOUT the Doctor)

Besides that, no limits (and your story can be in more than one category above).

>Can still be in any style, whether it's "legitimate writing", "pisstake", or "shitpost".

>the story must be at least 1 word long, and preferably not in excess of 10,000, it's short fiction you fuck

Anyone can contribute, no signups/pitches required. If you have ideas, feel free to broadcast them.

Rest is self-explanatory. Format for uploading your work is up to you, as long as it can be conveniently copied across (and ideally don't spam long texts in /who/ directly). (Pastebin or google drive works well.) And remember to mention, preferably in your work post, what you want your author moniker to be, which doesn't have to be your real name. Also, if you write in Shit Trips 2.5, Sarah Jane Smith will tuck you in and read you a bedtime story with a good-night kiss.

Remember, it doesn’t matter if it’s shit, just have fun! Deadline is April 2nd

>4
>1
>9
>5
>3
>10
>2
>6
>8
>7

This has nothing to do with cleti, it's far weirder.

Recast Seventh Doctor: Arben Bajraktaraj

I think my favorite is unironically the top right.. looks like a ton uh fucken energy drinks fucked a dalek

Doctor Who is dead.

>Series 3/4/2 that high
no

>Series 9
>Series 5
>Series 8
>Series 1
>Series 4
>Series 10
>Series 6 (Series 10 and 6 are basically tied)
>Series 3
>Series 7
>Series 2

>tfw no Sean Lock Doctor and Jon Richardson companion

>/who/ presents:
DOCTOR WHO: SHIT TRIPS Vol. 2.5
- The Anthology -

This time, the rules will be a tad different, as in we actually have rules now. The stories must be about:

> alternate Doctors (original Doctors, fanmade Doctors, Unbound Doctors, Doctors of wild divergence from canon)

> spinoff characters from audios, books, comics, etc (Torchwood, Erimem, Faction Paradox, Vienna, Sarah Jane Adventures, Iris Wildthyme, etc)

>companion focused stories (stories with the companion facing a threat, or dealing with life, WITHOUT the Doctor)

Besides that, no limits (and your story can be in more than one category above).

Wanna write about Hayley Atwell Fifth Doctor battling against the Vord? Go ahead.

Wanna write about April, Crizz, and that woman from Graceless going up against a traveling sex cult of Nyartholep followers? Go ahead.

Wanna write about "what if the Doctor accidentally got his TARDIS stuck in the sun, and now was on her last life, locked in there for all eternity, until found by the last android denizens of the universe?" That's a pretty good idea, amigo. I might steal it.

Wanna write about Dr. Mysterio, the mexican analogue of Doctor Who? Go ahead.

"What if the Doctor was a murderer played by Ben Kingsley?" Don't steal Nilso's ideas.

"What if the Doctor was Christina Hendricks?" Sounds hot desu.

Land of the Clara Splinters? Cool.

AND WHERE IS CATHERTICSPURIOUS?

9 > 8 > 5 > 10 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 7 > 6

if you had to choose a Doctor to fuck off with, which one would it be?

Good evening! I hope everyone had a safe and pleasant night last night, and that the New Year has indeed started off for you all in a good direction. As I mentioned last night, I believe I have crossed a rather serious and pivotal point in my adventure of watching Doctor Who chronologically from the very beginning. To those of you who have been here since the beginning of this journey, my thanks in advance for your advice, which I think I must lean on now.

I recently started the Aztec series, and in the first episode the Tardis gets stuck inside the burial chamber of a pyramid, the door to which cannot be opened from the outside (and thus our friends are unable to leave). This in itself is not particularly unique in this series; my thoughts are with the Doctor and something he did.

Barbara is currently believed to be a reincarnation of one of the Aztec gods, and as such she is to preside over ritual sacrifice in order to make it rain. Barbara naturally disagrees with this, and she wants to prove to the Aztecs that sacrifice doesn't cause the rains to come. Her explanation to Doctor Who is simple; she could rid the Aztec world of 200 or so years of ritual sacrifice immediately, hopefully leading to peace and prosperity. This is where we get to the point, my friends.

The Doctor implores her in no uncertain terms that she CANNOT change history.

cont.

>Series 5
>Series 9
>Smith 2013 Specials
>Series 6 (yeah I know)
>Series 3
>Series 8
>Series 4
>Series 1
>Tennant 2009 Specials
>Series 7
>Series 10
>Series 2

Do you post/lurk anywhere else on Sup Forums?

cont.

This is VERY serious. This is the first time that the Doctor has ever showed any concern about changing a timeline. In one of the previous series, when they meet Marco Polo, there is no such concern at all; The Doctor and the rest play it as if the potential of changing a timelines doesn't exist to them. At this time I had interpreted this from the perspective of 'well, perhaps when they travel to a new time (in the past or future) it's like journeying to a playground of sorts; normal history cannot be changed, but they can interact within that history like in a holodeck on the Enterprise'. Given that I come from the Star Trek world in terms of science fiction entertainment, it was the only logical thought I could come up with.

But now this episode, with the Doctor imploring Barbara not to interfere and change history. This leads to an interesting problem, and a question I have for you all.

When the Doctor and his companions travel to a different time, are they capable of changing history, or is this simply a one-off that happens to occur early on in the series and retroactively removed/ignored/contradicted?

I'm not asking for spoiler sake, more for clarification. I want to know if it's something I should rely upon (i.e. in future episodes I should 'worry' that a character may inadvertently change history, which would need to be corrected at the appropriate time) or if it's something I should ignore as a symptom of the early writers trying to find their footing.

As always, I greatly appreciate your thoughts on this and hopefully the ensuing discussion.

>tfw 12's regeneration episode wasn't called Twelfth Night
>would've worked as a Christmas title
>would've worked as a reference to it staring the Twelfth Doctor
>would've been a kino bookend and call back to Moffat starting as a showrunner with The Eleventh Hour

can't decide if that or Time of the Doctor not being called Silent Night bugs me more

I lurk of course, but I've only started posting in Sup Forums since the STD and Star Wars debacles. I felt compelled to put my thoughts into the ether to see if they held up to scrutiny.

Why don't you just find out by watching the rest of the show?

This is of course the most normal course of action. I plan to continue watching regardless, but I was curious about this point because in the past I had been warned by Anons here that the writing in the early seasons is uneven at best, and this is the kind of thing that might fall under that category.

In all reality, I expect someone to say something to the effect of, 'don't worry, it'll explain itself' or 'don't pay attention to it because they throw the concept out the window later on'. In truth, that's the kind of thing I'm after really.

It's not a fast track, it's a clarification.

>is this simply a one-off that happens

Meh, just enjoy the Aztecs. It's one of the crown jewels of Hartnell's tenure.

Oh, I assure you, I am. The production design, like the Marco Polo series, is remarkable for this time, and the drama so far is very entertaining.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question. In the Marco Polo series, no one cares about potentially changing history, even though they are actively interacting with it. But in this one Doctor Who cares about it vehemently. Why?

I suppose we can never fully understand the Doctor's relationship with the arc of history, but one can assume that we're not supposed to equate tagging along for the ride in Marco Polo with Barbara willfully attempting to change a fundamental aspect of history.

Kid who designed the Abzorbaloff is in TARDISPosting

You're right of course, it is inconsistent with the rest of the series. Writers have tried to explain this a few ways, mainly
>you can change history at some points but not others and the Doctor is able to sense the difference
>the Doctor was just lying or exaggerating to get Barbara to stop
Usually changing history is possible. There's even a story where something in the past threatens to destroy the Earth and the companion suggests just leaving because they know for a fact the future will be fine, but the Doctor shows her that the Earth actually will be destroyed if they don't stop it.

theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/09/pearl-mackie-doctor-who-interview-companion-not-many-like-me-on-tv

>She questions things that haven’t been questioned in a really long time, which is fun.” Bill will also be openly gay. “It shouldn’t be a big deal in the 21st century. It’s about time, isn’t it?”

>She maintains a vigorous Twitter account which doesn’t shy away from tweets of a political bent, referencing Black Lives Matter and talking about both Trump and Brexit.

>“I just think you can’t not have an opinion about the current state of the world and if I’ve got a slight platform to raise awareness about things, then that’s a great thing to use it for.”

Powerful stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=9ZKp0Hdulf0

>Literally saying what happens in future stories
reee why would anyone do this/want someone to do this

>Whovian Chaser
Bradders confirmed

Excellent! Thank you for the explanation! That is precisely what I was looking for.

So, further to this then, is this inconsistency in terms of affecting history or not something that only occurs in this first series, or is it endemic throughout the whole 50/60 year broadcast history of the show? In other words, is this something that they simply iron out by the 2nd series, or is it something that is purposefully left ambiguous for the rest of the show, and I should simply not pay attention to it as a possible plot device unless the Doctor makes it into a plot device?

I mean it's not a major scene, it just illustrates the time travel rules that later serials go by.

>not a major scene
It's one of the best, most well-known and most defining scenes of the episode.

I was in no way offended; 'wanderer' explained a plot possibility without giving away specifics, so it's no problem.

what was the song that played when the Captain saluted the Doctor immediately after the First Doctor left the battlefield?

What’s with all these deleted posts?

Given that I have absolutely no idea what this scene is, nor when it is to occur and to whom, there is no reason to be upset, as I definitely am not.

Regardless of context, I'd be miffed if someone explained an entire scenario that plays out in the future of a show I was watching. But each to their own, I guess.

what if chronological user watches Twice Upon a Time right after The Tenth Planet so he views the new episode from the first doctor's perspective of knowledge

That'd be a horrible idea, because One acts very differently in TUAT than from Tenth Planet. You'd mess up the inteded flow, as well.

Won't work. Clara, Bill, Nardole, Rusty and whatnot.

This I can understand, but you must see it from my perspective. I don't know anything about Doctor Who aside from what I've seen in the show so far, and further to that I do not really read much online about the series because the focus these days is all on the new female Doctor. Since most discussion covers things I've never seen and references that make no sense to me, it's like reading gobbledygook, and thus it's easy not to pay attention. So for me, it's not a strange thing to hear that Doctor Who goes back in time and has to change history or something; considering that the problem of changing history has now come up, I know that it's now possible, and it's logical to eventually have an episode wherein he must break that rule or at least make it an issue.

Once again, these things are meaningless to me; I don't know the names of these episodes, nor do I care to look them up. I'll reach them when I reach them.

But back to my original concern; what I gather from you all is that this is an issue that keeps on coming up with future Doctors, that it's not something pinned down at all, and that I simply should accept the lack of anything binding about it as it appears....is that right?

>I have absolutely no idea what this scene is
Yea you do, he told you.

The whole YOU CAN'T REWRITE ONE LINE doctrine never comes up again as far as I can recall, but the exact rules usually just depend on what kind of story the writer wants to write.

>considering that the problem of changing history has now come up, I know that it's now possible, and it's logical to eventually have an episode wherein he must break that rule or at least make it an issue.
But I don't understand why that's something you would want to know? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of discovering the show for yourself?

Then I have forgotten it as an irrelevancy at the moment. The only thing I can relate to is TNG; if I were to tell someone who's in the middle of watching Season 1 that eventually there would be a time travel episode where we see some events from Season 1, it would mean nothing to them until they saw the episode, and they'd probably forget I even mentioned it by the time they got to it. It would have significance to me because of my foreknowledge, but it would mean nothing to them. Thus it is with me and Doctor Who.

My thanks to you; this makes perfect sense, and clarifies my concern.

For what it's worth, I am significantly enjoying the series as it goes along. The characters are fleshing out nicely, personalities are far more consistent (even the Doctor's) and there's a real sense of adventure which, sadly, has been missing from modern TV lately.

Thanks to you all!

It's not a matter of wanting to know anything; when you've watched enough Sci-Fi that deals with time travel, there are certain common elements that always appear. Granted, Doctor Who may have been the one to start it all in TV format, but the bottom line is that if you can travel to the past and interact with people in that time period, you either have two options; you can interfere with them and thus the time continuum, or you can interact with them and not change a thing. That's why I wanted to know, because after the Marco Polo incident it seemed very odd indeed that the Doctor would have an issue with Barbara even though they all had serious interactions with Polo's team.

The two didn't make sense to me, but now it has been clarified.

I will still discover the show for myself; I simply don't like inconsistencies that are this stark. This is not the kind of contradiction that seems easily explicable in a dramatic setting. Does that make any sense? And I do appreciate the care you've shown for my welfare regarding seeing the series for the first time and getting surprised properly when they happen; it's very kind of you, and it doesn't go unnoticed.

>I simply don't like inconsistencies that are this stark.
You may be in for a bumpy ride. But good luck.
Hopefully you get used to it.

lol Yes, I thought to myself that the reason why discussion about Doctor Who is so passionate is due to inconsistencies that fans would speculate about (without coming to a suitable final solution, so to speak). As a 'trekkie', I have precious little to debate because of how well the older series keep basic points in line, so I'm looking forward to getting to know some of the problems and hypotheses that are formulated to combat something as simple as a legible oversight.

Pregnant Male Seahorse Wearing Tweed Jacket And Bow Tie

Incidentally, why do you ask?

> Series 1 not on top
Guys. No.

Well, I must depart once again. Thank you to all who responded, and I have no doubt I will have to stop by again as the series progresses.
Goodbye for now.

Modded /who/ minecraft server WHEN

reminder david tennant is coming back

The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volume 3, starring David Tennant, and Freema Agyeman.

Big Finish Productions: We Love Stories

this would be fucking GOAT

You mustn't die, /who/.

No my dear /who/, you must die. Die, /who/! Die, /who/! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

/who/ VRchat room WHEN

>reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
>Judi Dench mentions UNIT and its Cardiff branch
>UNIT doesn't have a Cardiff branch, but she can't be referencing Torchwood because UNIT works for the United Nations and Torchwood works for the Queen
Moore, you senile, snake-worshipping fuck.

This is the same universe where Mary Poppins is God and Harry Potter is the Antichrist, don't think about it too much.

Missed opportunity for puns in TUAT:
>FIRST DOCTOR: One wonders what could be the point of going on, eh?
>TWELFTH DOCTOR: Yeah, so does Twelve.

I'd honestly wonder how Alan Moore would write a Doctor analogue. He'd probably had a Fourth Doctor analogue defeat a Tenth Doctor analogue, and would get Four analogue fown perfectly, while pissing all over the Ten analogue, while possibly stereotyping both.

Replace Four with Hartnell and that would be more likely.

Is he a Hartnell fan over a Fourth Doctor fan? Has he ever said which one he likes?

>tfw no one-off feature length special crossover episode called "Moff's Myths" starring both the Capaldi and Smith Doctors, Cumberbatch's Holmes, Nesbitt's Jekyll/Hyde and whoever his Dracula turns out to be

He said every Doctor after Hartnell is a bit paedo-y

why can't the LEG universe have a cardiff branch of UNIT?

That feels like exactly what you'd expect Moore to say.

I just want to see the LEG version of the Doctor. I imagine it'd look a lot like Seven. And it's UNIT...I'm scared of what it's Brigadier would look like.

They look exactly as you'd expect.

>Moore draws Eleven better than many of the actual comics

I thought LEG was Victorian Avengers, but the more I read it's a pop culture nightmare

First two volumes and Black Dossier are GOAT, but Century is such a fucking badly-written mess it hurts. Nothing but Alan Moore shaking his fist at kids.

The first two volumes are, it's only the third volume that has a lot of it, mainly because it focuses on the popular culture of when the story is set.

And that could work on its own, but it's not a good or well-researched focus on pop culture. It felt like what an out-of-touch old man thought 21st century pop culture was like, and I expect so much better out of Alan Moore than "Hey, the kids these days like Harry Potter, and the kids these days shoot up schools, so maybe I'll fuse them together without doing any research into either or offer any interesting insight."

I forgot how fun dinosaurs on a space ship is. Out of all the chibnall episodes he’s done so far it’s my favourite.

Why did he really leave?

three season curse

Forced out by the bbc higher ups who wanted a dashing young male. But got more then they bargained with with Chibnall. Chibnall only asked him back as a common courtesy fully expecting peter to decline his offer. If peter accepted he would have made series 11 he’ll for him because he didn’t coincide with chibnalls agenda.

I heard he was only offered half of series 11 and he'd regenerate mid series but he didn't like that idea so he left when he did.

So, just checking: Stardust the Super Wizard, Billy Batson - that's all vol 3?

Yeah, but neither character does anything or contributes to the plot at all. They factor little more than "Hey, recognize this one character from the good old days!"

Moore kills off Stardust.

Don't forget the many James Bonds and the Not-Rolling Stones.

Best moments of S10?

I've heard this one as well. Chibnall almost certainly wanted Twelve to start with, though whether it was for half a series or a full series is unclear. Either way, Thirteen would be a woman no matter what.

I like how this thoery combines the "Capaldi was pushed out", "BBC wanted a dashing young man", and "Chibnall wanted a female Doctor" theories, including having BBC and Chibnall has two completely opposite agendas, with the only commonaily being "hate for 12"!

"It means life"
Your pic related.
The "How many people have you killed?" scene.
The White House scene in Extremis.
Alpha Centauri.
The entire finale, but specifically the end of World Enough and Time.
And the "kindness" speech.
And the Master/Missy's mutual betrayal.
And the Doctor taking out the Cybermen.
So pretty much the entire ending of The Doctor Falls as well.

Hey man, why'd you delet

That's it. I've had it with this dump! We've got no food, we got no jobs,... our pets' HEADS ARE FALLIN' OFF!!!

pussy pussy pussy, can't you see
you bitches can't do it like me