>strong empowered female protagonist
>diversity casting
>quip character
>The greatest non OT Star Wars movie so far

What went right Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cK5zMDVGF2Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It’s good because it’s designed to be like the OT. It even takes place immediately before the OT movies. Star Wars writers can’t into world building for some reason, so every other movie sucks

No blacks

Vader massacre

I unironically liked it way more I did The Force Awakens, mainly because the plot was more focused and a literal autistic faggot didn't direct this one

Because it's a spinoff that gives us an aspect of the universe not really explored on screen (What the ground forces the Rebels have) and gives some very nice large scaled fights. I didn't expect good characters because Gareth Edwards, but I do like Krennic and the two protectors of the Khyber crystals (Can't be fucked trying to spell their names though. I know it, can't spell them)

Although it’s diversity casting the actors had a good track record, Diego Luna is like Mexico’s second biggest actor and even that Chinese guy with the guns is an arthouse cinema darling back home.

it basically took an EU story and made a fun movie out of it
couldve been alot more serious though but they went the light hearted way and thats ok

>No plot armour so you're uncertain about each character's fate.
>Powerless characters who have to overcome obstacles.
>Real characters with depth and shit

It was a damn good movie and honestly I think a great example of a good strong female character. Better that Mah-Rey-sue

It treated existing characters and lore with respect except maybe Mon Mothma, who couldn't hold a meeting to save her life.

Agreed.

Nothing other than no one else really likes it so contrarians on Sup Forums have to love it despite almost every part of it being pointless.

pretty much my opinion, except i didnt like TFA at all and hate everything abrams has made. im sure (they) tried to put some underlying themes(gay asian action heros, stronk womin) but it failed. basically a 6/10 flick in a sea of 2/10 movies. will probably watch again in the future.

There is no way around that I would have enjoyed it more without the Diversity casting.

So I am left thinking how much more fun it was before the women and PoCs forced their way in and fucked everything up.

With the exception of characters that were present in the OT, I cannot even remember the names of any of the characters introduced in the movie beyond Krennic and K-2SO. In bazinga droid's case it's because he was the designated mandatory quip character. Hard to say it's even a decent film if so little of it sticks with you, and yet I still enjoyed it more than Disney's two current mainline films.

>What went right Sup Forums?
nothing

this pic is unironically great and fucking retarded at the same time.

Tell me again how this movie was Donald Trump's worst nightmare.

rogue one is shit
worse than the prequels.
worse than tfa and probably worse than tlj.

>worse than the prequels.
guess how i know you're old and fat

The all died. And that is a good thing.

Posting on /tv?

AT-ATs to defend a base.
>lore

Forest Whitaker

Vader

the characters actually made sense

oh fug

It has its faults, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. Its by far the only decent didney SW film.

>plot revolves around established elements of the universe when it was at its best, no wacky EU stuff and minimal Soy Wars influences
>visually appealing redesigns/alt designs instead of lazily rehashed shit like in the sequels,
>OT fanservice in the form of Tarkin and young Leia showing up when no one expected anything like that, Hammerhead ships, Vader tearing up rebels at the end - a lot of people have complaints about these points but this grognard was pretty pleased with them
>made at least a vague attempt to show elements of the rebels as being somewhat unscrupulous
>objectively beautiful environments and scenery; even the desert planet had a city full of interesting stuff
>focus is on more or less normal people and not the fucking skywalkers and pals, no Jedi
>story wraps itself up while rolling into episode IV nicely; can even be ignored completely without issue if you didn't like it
>the heroes go in for a suicide mission and actually fucking die, something that rarely ever happens in blockbuster films

>mfw I realize as I'm typing this that RO actually introduced more interesting, varied and creative designs than the series that is supposed to canonically take place decades after it does

>>The greatest non OT Star Wars movie so far
Its not better than III, and on par with I and II at best.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

None of the characters is pushed in the role of the heros like Rey and Finn are.
It's just trying to tell a story. The force is something mystical and intangible, not some energy you can just use at will.
There are quips, but they don't go overboard and are not used to trivialize serious moments.

It's a good movie from a technical standpoint, the only flaw is the lack of memorable characters, which is not a big deal because this was a stand-alone film.

>worse than the prequels
youtube.com/watch?v=cK5zMDVGF2Y
those didn't age well

>It’s good because it’s designed to be like the OT. It even takes place immediately before the OT movies.
By that logic Solo is going to be great too.

oh fug...

>My only complaints are diversity and women
Oh man, where have I seen this thread before

Only if they correctly nail the OT atmosphere

V > IV > VI > III > RO > I > VII > TCW > The Star Wars Christmas Special > II > VIII

Just as a response to one of this movie's main criticisms: I just want to say that not remembering a character's name is not a valid argument about their quality and development imho. Indeed myself I can't remember any names of the Rogue 1 crew other than Jyn, Cassian and K2S0, but I clearly remember the chinese monk, his cynical brother and the pilot's personalities and basic motivations. Of course none of them had Michael Corleone tier development, but their characterization was appropriate for a one-off war film where they all die by the end.

As another example, I can't remember the names of anybody from any Leone western other than Good Bad and Ugly, but all the characters were well written and memorable.

Very low standards. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters in this movie and the automatic quip machine was a constant annoyance. It speaks volumes to how shitty Disneywars is that somehow 3 movies in and this is the best one.

It was designed to be like the OT.
Also they didn't make the characters' genders a major part of their character because that doesn't fucking matter.

Last Jedi>Rogue One>Force Awakens

Ask yourself if you would have enjoyed the movie more without the Diversity and Feminism.

But it did matter.

The people who made the movie openly said they thought there were too many white men in Star Wars so they got rid of some of them.

Hence the women and PoC in Rogue One and the rest of Disney Star Wars.

I liked this movie
I remember the characters
It has very good moments
Have editing problems
The characters do not seem forced
No stupid scenes, if some unnecessary

But it wasn't integral to their character in the films. They weren't designed to be specifically better than their peers based on their sex. Sure, they wanted to design them as women and non-whites, but if you took their characters and made them white or male or both, it doesn't change the feel of the narrative by much.
Hard to explain

They don't feel forced even when you look at the "we need more non white males" statement, that is what I was getting at

We didn't like Rogue One though. Its just benefiting from the shit show that is Last Jedi right now. People are taking it in a more positive light, but it was shit as well, just without having the shit ramrodded down your throat so much.

>We
Fuck off.

But their very presence in the movie is a reminder that the people making it wanted less people like you around.

Now, admittedly I am an autistic shut in with severe abandonment issues, but surely that sort of dis wears on people who have spent a lifetime buying plastic Star Wars crap.

Upon rewatching this during the week, I think it holds up as one of the best SW stuff out there, close the level of the OT. My main complaints are:

No aliens among the Rogue 1 crew. For a movie that made a big deal out of its diversity quota during marketing, in-universe the team is actually rather human centric.

Completely unnecessary scenes that serve no purpose other than shoehorn familiar stuff: the cantina guys and R2D2/C3PO namely. Fortunately you can just ignore these brief encounters and nothing is affected. I also disliked Vader's Mustafar castle of evil doom, it felt way to cheesy compared to the rest of the film and didn't really tell us anything new about anybody. Vader got his moment in the end anyway and that was much much better.

Particularly in the current enviroment where anyone not living under a rock must have noticed that white men are as welcome in public life as a pork chop at a bah mitzvah.

>No aliens among the Rogue 1 crew. For a movie that made a big deal out of its diversity quota during marketing, in-universe the team is actually rather human centric.

That’s the general problem with Nu Wars though. They talk diversity but no aliens or homos, or alien homos.

>Hard to explain
They're talking about you, boy.

The books actually have a TON of homos right now so I would be surprised if the movies didn't introduce some soon. But I guarantee you Sup Forums will throw a massive shitfit so prepare to be the only one who is happy about it.

Decent first part of the movie, terrible and boring middle, and great third part. From Scarif onward it is amazing

Jesus Christ this board.

There was an ATAT defending the base on Endor in RotJ

I guess Edwards knows how to recreate a Star Wars feel. I really like R1, although the first hour drags a bit.

the first hour was really weak
they shouldve cut it in half and add the heist part for more bonding and character development

It's fucking shit for at least an hour and most characters are insufferable. I only liked the droid and Jynn's father.
It redeems itself when the rebel fleet arrives and the final battle starts. It made a 4/10 movie to a 8/10 in my book just because that part was dead set on pleasing people who like SW for the space battles.
I also liked that they were ballsy enough to murder all main characters, even though they didn't have much character to begin with.

I'll hate it because any homo characters won't be good characters, they'll he screen versions of tumblr retards who make their sexuality their ONLY defining character trait

I agree. Still, better than anything of the new trilogy by far.

>all main characters
Bunnyface and Mexican guy will be back for R2, you can count on it.

I mean if Finn and Poe were to turn out to be gay after two movies I would think that their sexuality wouldn't be their defining character traits because we've had two movies to get to know them as something else.

People actually died and shit, it explains what happened in ep 4 and the last third is fucking awesome

The quip droid was great.
The acting was more than adequate.
Everyone pretty much died.

What's not to like.

Can AT-ATs swim?

I like that everyone died, but you just know they killed everyone because of continuity reasons, not because they ACTUALLY wanted to kill everyone off.

>All Terrain Attack Walker
>Swim

It just walks underwater.

I always thought R1 was better than TFA and with TLJ being even more shit, R1 shines even more

>suicide mission
>everyone dies
>"why did they kill everyone?"

Felicity Jones' eyes alone are better actors than Daisy Ridley.

They all die at the end and are completly invincible otherwise. The final battle is also way too long. Everything new introduced in this movie is destroyed or killed. It's shit.

I’m convinced we need Gareth to direct a Rogue/Wraith Squadron movie.

It's interesting that the third act is the one that gets praised in this movie since it feels like 99% of the time the third act is what gets criticized in movies in general. Not sure why that is, maybe I'll create a thread about it.

TFA retroactively became even worse when all of its positives and interesting leads where shat on by TLJ, while its plot holes and inconsistencies were instead magnified. Truly a toxic film episode VIII was.

>ignoring the director
why are you guys even here?

I would have liked one or two more wide landscape shots.

You know full well that if EP IV didn't require everyone to be dead, they'd have let at least 2 MC's live on their 'suicide mission'. It's still Hollywood

It would have been so much cooler if Vader just appeared at the end out of no where & they cut all his other scenes

>Arthouse cinema darling
Donnie Yen did Ip Man and even starred in one of them with Mike Tyson.

Ip man is one of the most well known martial arts films

THE REAL TRILOGY

>Revenge of the Sith
>Rogue One
>A New Hope

Ron Howard is a great director with not much hair.

I’m talking about the other Chinese dude.

Kek