Wonder Woman #600 Storytime

Let's celebrate Wonder Woman!

strapped in and reading OP

Things are going to get fun soon enough, user

What is happening
Fun issue except for the ending

First off, a story by Gail "Kill All Men" Simone

You're not brave... men are brave. You say that you want to help people, but you can't feel their pain... their mortality... It's time you learn what it means to be a man!

You're not going to storytime... Odyssey, are you?

I wish someone had horribly killed off Misfit before the reboot

lol

Well, that was nice. Lets see if the rest of the issue keeps this up!

YAAS QUEEN

LITERALLY #SLAY

Now time for a story by Amanda "Swinger" Conner

Easily best story of the issue.

Good Conner's PG was fucking perfect.

Alright, that wasn't bad either. Looking up!

Surprisingly decent for March, I guess he felt like trying that day

lol Greg Horn

I have to say, I like how most of the artists for these pin-ups are men. I /wonder/ (eh?) how people would react to this nowadays

Next up is Louise "Everybody Remembers my Husband Better" Simonson

Looking ahead at the issue, I wonder who Jock traced for his cover.

There was a minor stink about Wonder Woman Rebirth where some people declared it a "failure before it even begins" because it was being done by two men, Rucka and Liam Sharp.

There's one great article that ranted about this for like five paragraphs, and then at the end there was a little blurb that said "Update: it has since been confirmed that Nicola Scott and Bilquis Evely will be drawing even numbered issues" with no further comment.

That smells like The Outhousers

That was the Outhousers right? I almost feel like they don't count

I'm trying to find it now but it's been buried under the "omg wonder woman TURNED GAY by writer" articles

Y I K E S
I
K
E
S

meh

Finally, a story by Geoff "I Actually Don't Have a Vagina" Johns

And now the trainwreck begins.

A princess who dreams of MORE. Diana would fit perfectly in Disney

>Johns thinks Wonder Woman is just girl Hercules
Explains a lot.

Johns is fucking OBSESSED with this imagery of Diana looking out at the sea. To be fair, it's an interesting angle that nobody else really explored (though Diana's childhood in general is usually ignored).

I would bet my life savings it's gonna be in the movie, and that Johns actively suggested it to Rucka to put in Year One.

WHAT COULD PAW-SSIBLY GO WRONG

>OH MAN HERE IT COMES.jpg

From what I saw in the trailer, She is watching the sea when Steve's plane crashes into it, so you are right about that

The Sensational Wonder Woman! What is this, Marvel Comics?

And now, for the main attraction!

It begins

Christ, I really need to look up the behind the scenes stuff for this mess. I was just reading a large dump of WW a few years ago, got to this, and was thoroughly confused.

I like how everything looks more drab and "urban" right away. It's like Netflix's Wonder Woman.

If OP posts the entire issue, there'll be two pages where Jim Lee and JMS explain their ideas.

When my brother and I were kids, we used to joke about what Hollywood would do with various comics to make them more "realistic". Like the Fantastic Four, Reed would lose all his bones, Ben's skin would harden so he couldn't move, Sue's skin would turn transparent, and Johnny would just be permanently on fire.

And Thor was too unrealistic, so he would just be a crazy guy running around with a hammer wired to a car battery (which wasn't too far off from what Ultimate Thor ended up being).

This whole "revamp" reminds me of something we would have come up with back then as a joke. The whole thing is so childish and lacks any sort of appreciation for the character whatsoever. It's like something that'd be in MAD Magazine.

NO

Didn't JMS say that he was looking to "fix" Wonder Woman with this run?

I know someone in CBR who will defend this story to death

Yep. The most dreaded word to any Wondie fan.

lol
I think the biggest problem with this run, and the reason it didn't work as well as his Spider-Man, is because JMS approached the character the wrong way. Wonder Woman is a DC mainstay, there's nothing to "fix", all her good qualities are already there if you bother to read some of her material. And that's not to say the idea of wanting to "fix" a character/franchise is always wrong, but there's a big difference between wanting to fix Wonder Woman and wanting to fix, say, the Inhumans.

One is an historically unpopular franchise that never took off and even their creator didn't care about them much, being replaced by a newer, better idea (the Eternals), the other is fucking Wonder Woman. Might as well want to fix Superman too while you're at it.

The Question is female?

>It’s a look designed to be taken seriously as a warrior, in partial answer to the many female fans over the years who’ve asked, 'how does she fight in that thing without all her parts falling out?

>The bracelets are still there, but made more colorful, tied on the inside and over the hand, with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side…and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark. This is a Wonder Woman who signs her work ... letting her enemies know that she’s getting closer.

Some choice quotes.

My thoughts exactly.

>Might as well want to fix Superman too while you're at it
That's what he did with Grounded :^)

Renee Montoya took over from Vic during 52.

By this time Vic Sage had been dead for a while, he took Renee Montoya under his wing before dying of cancer and passed the Question mantle to her

>That's what he did with Grounded :^)
Actually I think Grounded was more him trying to do something different with the character, but that didn't work either because JMS is in that weird position where he likes Superman so much he can't write him properly because he feels a bit too comfortable writing him and that hurts the final product

It's like "yeah, I'm a huge Superman fan! No way I'm fucking up, no sir!"

>Diana would fit perfectly in Disney
She really does sometimes come off as a Disney Princess with superpowers. One of said powers even involves the oft featured animal companions for fucks sake.

Anyway, that's all I'm doing for tonight, tomorrow: we start the Odyssey

JMS said over and over about how "her costume hasn't changed since 1941!", as if that was a bad thing. I forgot about how radically Superman and Batman's costumes now differ from their original incarnations. Batman's ears are slightly more straight! Superman's trunks aren't red! Way to keep those costumes fresh, unlike that stuffy Wonder Woman.

>If we’re going to re-boot the character, I think we can’t let the fact that her face in her previous iteration is on ten gazillion lunchboxes. We need to take a long-term approach. This, again, is why half-measures won’t work.

This makes me so mad. Look how well your "longterm approach" worked out.

Actually precisely what Robert Kanigher aimed for in 1958. The princess, magic, girly direction was the focus of the character for ten years.

Thanks for doing this, OP. I was going to eventually but didn't want to interrupt one of the good stories with... this.

You know, at the end of the day, JMS's half of the storyline is not poorly told, it's a fine story and I see why some people enjoy it when it's posted. What I hate is just that it's Wonder Woman, and the very destructive approach he takes to it.

Well, it's unfair to compare her to a great like Walt, but she has wrote some very nice stuff on her own.

boop

I would rather they did a movie with a Disney Princess where Wondie takes the role of the Disney Prince though.