Just watched Michael Mann's latest film Blackhat and absolutely loved it. What are your thoughts on this one Sup Forums

Just watched Michael Mann's latest film Blackhat and absolutely loved it. What are your thoughts on this one Sup Forums.

Hathaway was a classic Mann character with a lot of flaws. His whole archetype (warrior-poet, body & mind) is introduced intuitively: 1. you see him in his cell reading philosophy books 2. you see him act like a smartass to the prison director, which gets him thrown into the hole 3. you see him workout. He has nothing but time ahead of him and the traditional Mannian sense of discipline. "I do my time, the time doesn't do me", very similar to Caan in Thief. This is the same dedication to a code that you find in characters like Vincent or McCauley. But his flaw is his defiance of authority and arrogance, which is the reason he got caught in the first place. The Asian girl even mocks his dedication to his code in the restaurant conversation, "you still speak like you're in prison", but this is what saves her life during the fight and is what makes her drop her panties.

The fact that Chris Hemsworth is handsome and doesn't look like the stereotypical acne hacker doesn't matter in the slightest. Bank robbers and hitmen don't look like Cruise or DeNiro with their perfect fashion tastes. Mann's world is highly romanticized and idealized.

Hathaway is a complete man, like a Greek hoplite. His enemies however reflect the false dichotomy of the body and mind. The villain hacker is stereotypical, unfit, neckbearded, glasses, king in the virtual world but out of touch with the real world. He has to hire a mercenary to be his body, who is fierce and methodical but lacks brain and ability to adapt. In the end Hathaway adapts to his environment and disposes of both, by literally walking "against" the crowd, against the norm and false conventions. All of this is told mostly visually, without dialogues.

Mann's use of digital cinematography is particularly relevant, makes thematic sense and contributes to the film's discourse. A digital film about the clash between the digital and the carnal worlds, feeling more organic and alive than films shot on film.

whats this fag ass movie about fag?

I loved it too, I consider it one of the top movies of 2015 (I listed it as my favorite years back but I might have it a little lower if I think about it again). Amazing tension, sexual energy between the two leads. Brilliant action fights, and great memorable performances all around. I really hope Mann doesn't sell out again for the Ferrari movie because this was right where he needed to be in terms of style.

When the fuck can we download the Director's Cut? I've been waiting so unbelievably long. I can't take it.

Sadak fits the negative hacker stereotypes, and this is what ultimately makes him lose. he has hubris and is self-agrandizing, but it's about how hes come to see himself behind a computer screen, an online God, then gets caught back by reality: he dies a pathetic death, he is nothing in the real world but a fleeting shadow in the middle of an indifferent crowd, one screwdriver is enough to end him. Its similar to how Vincent dies in Collateral: build up throughout the whole film as an invincible hitman who has everything figured out but dies indifferently on a subway as the city slowly wakes up. Hathaway "wins" because hes still connected to the real world, through his love and passion with Tang Wei, though all the self-reflection and meditation he went through in prison, through his anger and grief. The chaotic brutal nature of the action scenes mixed with the ethereal sensuality of the digital photo reflect that.

It's pure Mann. Thematically it goes back to his early films, like Thief (characters: the dinner scene & protagonist marked by his jail time, theme: the crime stays the same, only the tools change) and Manhunter (procedural investigation, lawful side needing the help of a jailed criminal to arrest a similar criminal)

Hathaway starts the film alone and in prison. In the end, he finally reaches the airport and escapes, but only because he found a sensual connection along the way. This also mirrors Neil reaching the airport for his escape with his girl, but the fate is reversed.

In Collateral, Max survives for the same reasons Hathaway survives in Blackhat; love/passion and his romantic interest, and the romantic drive to escape, allow them to be spontaneous and improvise and stay grounded in the sensual world, whereas the highly trained Vincent and Blackhat's mercenary are too detached from real human emotions and ultimately their sense of discipline causes an inability to adapt which is their downfall.

Not going to trick me into watching this shit.

pretty shit boring and disappointing. I usually like Mann movies

certified Sup Forums and /mann/ kino

man movies with lots of negative estrogen

It's about a cyberterrorist who blows up a nuclear reactor in China hacks into the Chicago Mercantile Exchange to cause soy futures to rise so a task force consisting of several American and Chinese members forms to stop the hacker and his group.

>needs to be persauded to watch a mann film
don't come back.

Mann is the master of digital. he uses it so fucking well.

>soy
no thanks numale keep your cuck shit to yourself.

I keep hearing it's good but couldn't make it beyond the first 5 minutes.

Does it really get better once you get past the haxx0r cringe?

absolute kinography

absolutely Sup Forums certified

Yeah it definitely does. The beginning part with the CGI showing the hacking is pretty bad but after that everything is realistic.

I never understand the appeal of Asian girls in Miami Vice the movie or Black Hat
They already passed their prime and they spoke English barely.
I would rather watch their Chinese movies.
Gong Li and what's her name.

Ok, I'll have more patience this time.

I still haven't seen it because nobody uploaded the 4 minute extra DC that aired on TV a year ago.

is public enemies any good? i hate johnny deep

Its good, it also has that cute french actress.
Some people complain about the directing and closeups but I honestly enjoyed it. It has different atmosphere from most period pieces.

it's good, but it has a really weird 1 second part where a cgi johnny depp jumps over a counter. One of the weirdest decisions I've ever seen, I wish I could unsee it.

Yeah I think Public Enemies is great. Depp is legitimately great as John Dillinger and far different than he is in most other films.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

and I don't even have anything against CGI btw, I'm not one of those guys. It just looks fucking odd since the rest of the movie has this sort of hyper real look to it.

Is this a new pasta? Iv seen it posted on Sup Forums in a few threads now

Mann has yellow fever

I saw it no less than 20 times yesterday buts it's been slightly altered from what it was yesterday