Name a better modern day World War II film

Name a better modern day World War II film.

Bet you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt3526810/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fury was more interesting than this

Batman v Superman

Hacksaw Ridge.

There is none. The last great WW2 films were Das Boot and Stalingrad, Dunkirk is the first decent one in years. The rest are all pure fake empathy schlock trash

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

>400,000 mean ran away from war

>>Winston Churchill’s 1940 “We Shall Fight on the Beaches” speech is paraphrased in Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk, but after watching nearly two hours of uninspiring mayhem, it rings hollow. He seems incapable of conveying a sense of cultural authenticity or patriotic feeling. Like Michael Bay’s fantasy Pearl Harbor (1999), Dunkirk uses history as a pretext to show off the director’s fascination for calamity.
>The film’s opening epigraph refers to “The Enemy” instead of citing a nation, philosophy, or religion. Its routine to describe battle films as “anti-war,” still, that misnomer doesn’t describe Dunkirk — the apolitical Nolan transforms the “anti-war” genre into his patented “life is cheap” genre. Nolan typically evokes nihilism without any follow-through. Dunkirk feels dispassionate; it caters to pampered Boomers who never fought for or believed in a war or military service. It’s possible that Nolan, having created an audience of Millennial pessimists, is uninterested in the fellow feeling that Ang Lee made so intimate and that Clint Eastwood’s Sully and Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge made affecting as well as spectacular. Dunkirk has been made without wartime sympathy. That’s why the Churchill speech comes off as unconvincing and sappy. Nolan’s detached style mocks the populism that relates to average-grunt, working-joe service; it continues the attitude of Nineties indie filmmakers who chose cynicism over sentiment, anti-Western subversion over jingoism. Nolan won’t risk offending our godless film industry.

I'll just leave this here.

imdb.com/title/tt3526810/

Stop making new threads nolandrones.

>"waaaaaah why is this british film so british and not american at all waaaaah"
The 65 year old black homosexual conservative contrarian really nailed it right there.

>Only one nigger shown, for 8 seconds at that, in the role of a French colonial
>Women in nursing/hospitality roles
>Doesn't go out of it's way to show nazis as cartoonishly evil, in fact they're hardly even shown and not even named
Most redpilled WWII film in years

SPR
Thin Red Line

>Britain is nihilistic, autistic and godless
Yeah, that's true. But it's not a compliment.

>Nolan won’t risk offending our godless film industry.
He already did that by casting white males as leads.

>please stop talking about this movie please I promise it's not that good please
Pathetic.

Also the usual nolandrones found the film to be underwhelming and "boring", probably because the lack of le epic twists and characters reciting lines into the camera.

>all this rationalizing and projecting

Obviously both superior to Dunkirk, but by modern it's like from this century.

19 and 20 years ago. I don't know if that's "modern day" anymore.

>Nolan is apolitical

Wtf

>probably because the lack of le epic twists and characters reciting lines into the camera.
That's every Nolan movie though

Yes, and Dunkirk was nothing like that, hence why the usual nolandrones didn't like it

>Only one nigger shown, for 8 seconds at that, in the role of a French colonial
we wuz surrendering n shit

>Ctrl + F "Letters from Iwo Jima"
>0 results
Come on, now.

That's not Triumph Des Willens

It is patriotic though, just in an understated way. The civilians willingly sailing across the Channel to help evacuate the troops and the soldiers being ashamed, but still welcomed as heroes would make any Brit proud.

inb4 nolan dickrider
TDKR and Interstellar were both shit.

>no twists
french soldier hiding among the british
>no characters saying epic lines
HOME

Need to rewatch this. Never seen Flags of Our Fathers and it's been in my watchlist forever. I think I'll watch them both back to back.

You'd do well to, both are very good. I watched them back-to-back with my little brother and mom when they first came out on DVD. We were all morose and misty-eyed by the end of Letters. Bravo, Eastwood. Unironically bravo.

>patton
>das boot
>saving private ryan
>hogan's heros
>where eagles dare
>thin red line
>fury
>inglorious bastards

Thats just off the top of my head.

Only one of those is modern. Care to try again?