Star-Lord

Why this costume is so sexy?

Other urls found in this thread:

marvunapp.com/Appendix/starlor1.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I heard that Marvel retconned these stories into another universe so that the movie-based Star-Lord was the main one in 616.

I really miss this version of star-lord.

Sort of. It was dubiously canon to begin with. The official retcon came before the movie but it was definitely in preparation for it, even though Gunn went in a totally different direction than Bendis.

Star-Lord was never 616 until that Inhumans mini with a young K'son crushimg on Medusa and that is probably not canon anymore since it implies Peter's story happens in the future.

Then Giffen introduced him and DnA did a weird thing with making J'Son into a time traveler but they never elaborated it in detail (although it explains King Peter from Guardiamd 3000 being Quill's Great Grandfather from the future).

Bendis pretty much followed the Claremont stuff but changed the aliens into Badoon. He didn't bother adressing the Master of the Sun stuff or how Peter became Star-Lord. He did make the Element Gun a royal Spartax gun though.

Humphries is the one that fucked up big time. He changed it so Peter never made it into NASA and was a janitor there, added a strong female mentor who watched over him while growing up. Peter steals a prototype Avengers NASA ship or whatever and leaves Earth then finds Michael Rooker Yondu amd becomes a Ravager with a bunch of SJW looking members.

His mask is explained as being Yondu's old mask and how did he become Star-Lord? Well when he was a janitor he had a vacuum cleaner and the brand of the cleaner was Star-Lord and he doed something to save the day with the vacuum cleaner or some dumb shit.

Honestly everything would be better if the Humphries stuff just gets ignored.

what does the "H" on his chest stand for?
also, do you think when they hired Earl Norem they just told him "DO that cover you already did"

At what point, and where, was it 'officially retconned'? Is it some Handbook shit, or was it actively addressed in a comic?

>although it explains King Peter from Guardiamd 3000 being Quill's Great Grandfather from the future

Man I am still bummed about this. There's a whole crazy story there about King Peter getting thrown back in time and basically starting the lineage. You could go full tilt with it and make him the both the first and last Star-Lord, responsible for the animosity between his people and the Badoon, basically becoming the catalyst for all the problems that he's born into dealing with a thousand years later. And of course it's bittersweet because he falls in love and sires a child that he eventually has to leave and return to his time because he knows that the future of the Spartax empire requires a Star-Lord in the year 3000 to save them. A crazy sendup to Classic Star-Lord, the Odyssey, King Arthur, and probably some time travel story I can't immediately think of.

And we'll never see it, because you and I are the only two people that bought Guardians 3000.

basically it was never acknowledged and we can only guess as to whats going on. That said, the original Starlord comics took place in the future (which was like, the nineties back when they were written, so there's another knot in the snarl)
anyway, read more here. marvunapp.com/Appendix/starlor1.htm
huge clusterfuck

>this costume
>sexy
IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE HELMET

Bendis gets a lot of blame for how shitty cosmic is, but I completely agree that Dog-Fucker was the one that ruined 616 Star-Lord.

Three people. It was a solid run, doomed to failure because hardly anyone knew or cared about the OG Guardians. We'll probably never see them again either, because they lack synergy. Yondu's already gotten replaced in 616 with that bullshit that Humphries came up with.

Annihilation-era>original suit>current look>MCU>Marvel Now

I like this one a lot.

The open top mask with the exposed hair is still stupid as fuck.

Did he fly in the 80's? Every image has him floating around in space.

>mcu mask with scalp exposed
Will never not be fucking stupid.

Yes.

Yeah that is a lot of wasted potential there.

I wonder what Abnett was planning especially since in the Nova files comic Rich mentions that his father is a time traveling space man and to my knowledge this is the only time this gets brought up.

Anka has mentioned that he likes classic and Djurdjevic Star-Lord designs and he channeled that when he redesigned it.

He also did pic related.

I hate that Star-Lord look never made it into the comics, he took the retarded McNiven armor and made it look like a cool space suit.

I think this isn't Peter, this is the other Star-Lord.

It's probably just referencing/patching the continuity error regarding that issue of Inhumans.

On his planet it means " S "

Basically it boils down to the fact that the original Star-Lord stories took place on an earth that was very different from our earth in terms of historical development and also different from Marvel 616. He was born in the 60s but was in an advanced space program by the 1990s and earth had interstellar spaceflight and contact with alien races and space stations. But in his world there were NO superhumans of any kind, not even an offhand reference that they ever existed. Instead Pete was basically it when it came to defending the earth. You could of course fidget this into some sort of "Oh the Avengers were just elsewhere at the time" deal, but it seems nobody really wanted to touch that gordian knot. As mentioned, Jenkins' Inhumans tried to set up that Pete wasn't from the past but from the future of 616, but that was also totally ignored by later writers.

Pete's backstory is a huge clusterfuck where each new writer either retcons or ignores stuff from the past, which is a shame because a lot of the Star-Lord stories are great.

RIP pre-2014 Peter Quill. You will be missed.

>a grand total of four people read Guardians 3000
it's a shame, it wasn't perfect, but it was still a good book.

>Pete's backstory is a huge clusterfuck where each new writer either retcons or ignores stuff from the past, which is a shame because a lot of the Star-Lord stories are great.
>"I don't learn. It's one of issues."

I always wondered if that was a reference to how the old stories rehashed the same themes over and over with Quill vowing to learn something, but continually fucking up and getting mixed up in the same situations again and again, which kinda continued under Giffen and DnA. For every time you freed a world or saved a person, there's a time you let the Phalanx or fucked up a delicate political balance with noble intentions. You try to learn, find something to stand for, but the universe is just too weird and you're only one man. So you always mosey on into that Cosmic sunset.

For what it's worth I think the uneven history is part of the charm of the character. I think my favorite stories are the origin, the space-ark one, the Beastmen one, and the world called Heaven.

He's been unsalvageable since 2012

I tell people about Guardians 3000 and usually the whole King Peter thing makes them interested in it.

But yeah a lot of comic readers weren't that aware it even existed, Marvel just publishes so many comics that some get lost in the events and the ones that Marvel pushes out the most.

I personally would have made the original run uneqivocally canon, but that ship has kind of sailed by now.

Thanks user, I was looking for this.

Yeah because regardless what you think about that look it does say Star-lord. Mcniven's was just generic blonde dude in Mass effect armor.

No problem.