Late Wonder Woman storytime

Diana Prince: Wonder Woman (Dennis O'Neil)) Part 2
Part 1:
youtube.com/watch?v=ivHRsrcsgy0

Not caught up to the thread? No worries! Each of these stories, with a few exceptions, is relatively self-contained. Though obviously the more you've read, the more you'll like it.
You can start with any writer you want.

Gods and Mortals (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91303244/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91309099/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91350699/

Losses (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91378988/

The Contest (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91465631/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91474261/

Paradise Lost (Phil Jimenez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91513614/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91567315/

JLA: A League of One and The Golden Perfect (Christopher Moeller, Joe Kelly)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91620693/

The Hiketeia (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91685232/

Eye of the Gorgon (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91729913/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91758835/

Marathon (Greg Rucka)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91845845/

The Circle (Gail Simone)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91874229/

Ends of the Earth (Gail Simone)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91897256/

Rise of the Olympian (Gail Simone)
The Legend of Wonder Woman (Renae De Liz)
The True Amazon (Jill Thompson)
Year One (Greg Rucka)
The Twelve Labors (Martin Pasko)
The Legend of Wonder Woman (Kurt Busiek & Trina Robbins)
Extras:
The Contest (pre-Crisis)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415540/

Manhunter: Unleashed
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91788430/

Artemis: Requiem

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0

"THEM!" are a fun little "villain"

>put on the collar
And here we go

Something kinda weird I realized when reading my Showcase Presents volumes, Egg Fu wasn't introduced until 1965! Far, far after there was any excuse for really negatively racist depictions.

I mean, I-Ching is racist, but it's not really a big deal because it's a positive character.

The Golden Age omnibus contains the following:

>The comics reprinted in this volume were produced in a time when racism played a larger role in society and popular culture both consciously and unconsciously. They are mostly unaltered in this collection, with the understanding that they are presented as historical documents.

Showcase does not, though I suppose it was printed in a time where PC culture wasn't as prevalent.

Despite the fact that the Golden Age comics don't really have anything as racist as Egg Fu.

I actually love Egg Fu despite that. Or maybe partially because it's just so hilariously unabashedly racist.

Which makes it disappointing no one pre-Crisis version ever really stuck.

Interesting letters.

I wonder if any fanzines from this time discussed this series.

Oh shit just announced Seeley is writing Hellblazer

I love Diana's facial expressions in this run.

Wait, the current book, or a new one? He might be an okay fit, but Hack/Slash is very, very pulpy

Assuming it's continuing the current one.

Haven't read Hack/Slash but I've liked Seeley's DC work, though none of it strikes me as Hellblazer-y.

I dunno, I feel like Asian stereotypes were pretty acceptable well into the 60's.

Well, it can't be as bad as Denise Mina

I guess I can't say for sure since I wasn't there. But I always think of 60's comics in relation to how closely they came out to Fantastic Four #1 and Spider-Man, Marvel as a whole was quite progressive at least concerning black people.

I'd say I-Ching is more tone-deaf than racist. The only thing I'd change about him is his name, because calling someone "I-Ching" is like if I called some white trash redneck "Bible"

They might as well have made this Duella Dent and had her call herself Penguin's Daughter.

Are you and Saxet user gonna fight?

Good way to phrase it.

Saxet user is providing a valuable service and I welcome him.

Fun test here. Last time I read this run I probably got like half of them, now from a cursory glance I could probably get most of them.

Also my Twitter namesake, Tex Thomson gets a shoutout!

Black people are a little different, because generally their depictions were of American blacks who were from the same basic cultural background as the writer. Asians looked different and had a different culture, not to mention they're a smaller minority.

This is a REALLY fun issue

A friend of mine who is working on his second degree, in history of race relations, we've had a lot of lengthy conversations about how comics reflect how things actually were at that time. But we only talk about black people, so I didn't know what Asians were considered like.

Bruce getting practice for the beginning of TDKR

Also for full disclosure I am not black and my friend is not black, and we are not Asian either

It's hard to read this at the same time as the other user's Odyssey

We were discussing in a previous thread when exactly Diana became aware of Bruce's identity, pre-Crisis I expect this will be that

Kinda goofy, I guess? I'm trying to find this panel from Silver Age Flash with a Japanese guy going "Wercome Bally Arren-san!" There were a couple exceptions like Jimmy Woo, but his conception was pretty obviously trying to make up for Fu Manchu being a really racist caricature.

I fucking love Batman's helmet.

I love imagining Batman spending all this time learning how to make custom molds and having to make all his special costumes

This is some Whacky Races shit

bump

Thanks friend

This is kind of unnecessarily grim

More obscure DC hero pimping

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming

Guess where Morganna would once again run into Diana?

BYRNE'S RUN

I'd like to reiterate that the last arc where Diana goes and fights with the Amazons I had totally forgotten, and it just feels so weird in comparison to the entire rest of the run that's like this.

But when are Top Hat, Moose Momma, and Pinto going to show up again?

In the next Wonder Woman movie, of course

I think I've heard this story before

Simonson totally stole this plot for Thor

> not Tetragrammaton
They were this worried about turning readers into toads

Really, this of all things is what you don't believe?

A girl who dated a Mer-Man and a Bird-Man and lived on an island of immortal women and fought the god of war in the last arc?

Then years later you had Moore and Morrison actively trying to turn readers into toads

>and lived on an island of immortal women and fought the god of war in the last arc
Well yes but she grew up with those folks

Is that the Fiddler?

So this cat is from the tale of the old lady who swallowed a fly?

Oh dear

The Scissormen?

the artist has a real thing for drawing ugly people

Well, his Diana is so gorgeous, maybe he just gets tired of it sometimes

New Super-Man spoilers:
I-Ching is a liar in this too?!

There's a lot more variety to ugly people than pretty people. More fun to draw.

Oh god

New Super-Man spoilers:
New Super-Man spoilers?

It's funny, a common criticism of comics artists is that they tend to default to generic perfectly sculpted people with nice pecs and big breasts, but every artist I've personally known has told me they love "unique looking" people

I know he didn't invent it or anything but a storytelling technique I always associate with Gardner Fox is starting by showing you the climax and then going back to the beginning

Almost like the
>*record scratch* Yep, that's me
thing but not retarded

Wait is Diana holding condoms

Now this is straight out of a Bond movie