Why did Coppola stop making good movies after Apocalypse now?

I know that he went breakneck speed and full financial commitment into every movie in the 70s, always blowing all of his money on the next movie, so I understand why he would have changed his methods, but still the drop off seems a bit hard.

Any known reason for this?
reccs on good post-70s coppolas? I haven't seen most of them but they all seem to have rough reviews

bump cmon guys

no

so this board is just 10 star wars threads all the time now?

Jack is a classic tho

the board is pretty much dead, but youth without youth is worth watching

supposedly hated the way the industry went, didn't he try some independents that flopped?

George Lucas spoke positively about Youth Without Youth, saying it's the kind of film he'd like to make.

I mean he made a ton of movies, which is why it surprises me that none of them seem to get even close

Haven't seen Tetro, that seems to be a flawed but atleast respected one

I wouldn't say they are all complete garbage but they're not even close to his work in the 70s. Outsiders and Rumble Fish are solid.

Is what happened yo Leone.
Disillusionment.
Justified, mind it

bitch, what the fuck are you doing making non star wars and non capeshit threads. Of course you're gonna get no response.

what does this mean

I enjoyed The Cotton Club but didn’t like Richard Gere in it. Good supporting cast though including young Nicholas Cage.

*to Leone
Lack of motivation because the system is stupid or rigged. The way producers and public work, how movies are distributed

Tetro was cool

his daughter doesn't seem to mind it, though she's got him as a producer, obviously

she hasn't made anything really artistic either though, nothing that comes close. just the same teenage girl bullshit over and over

he stopped making big movies, I wouldn't say he stopped making good movies. went pretty much independent. probably wasn't wanting for money after the godfather

>His musical fantasy One from the Heart, although pioneering the use of video-editing techniques which are standard practice in the film industry today, ended with a disastrous box-office gross of $636,796 against a US$26 million budget,[49] far from enough to recoup the costs incurred in the production of the movie and he was forced to sell his 23-acre Zoetrope Studio in 1983.[18] He would spend the rest of the decade working to pay off his debts. (Zoetrope Studios finally filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1990, after which its name was changed to American Zoetrope).

this kind of explains it

virgin suicides

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

This isn't a specific thing with Coppola, practically every single prominant 70s director fell off after that period along with the entire film industry, it's no mistake that the 70s are considered to be so great

Scorsese and DePalma didn't

it seems particularly strong with Coppola

more of the same

he didn't

Lost in Translation is a GOAT

Apocalypse Now was such a nightmare to make it probably took away all of his enthusiasm for movie making.

its very comfy and I'd probably rewatch it if I ever had a realistic chance of getting a girlfriend, but it's not great art

Tucker & Gardens of Stone were good. I liked them better than Apocalypse Now.

Scorsese just started making shit movies, especially after Goodfellas

sweaty

Tucker has a late 80's charm to it that is super comfy. Photography is damn gorgeous too. Underrated Coppola movie right there.

The Outsiders came out in the early 80s. That movie and book are top notch.

I haven't seen kundun and the aviator, but only gangs of new york is really bunk

>One from the Heart

holy shit... sucks he couldnt hedge a little and prop up some indie directors and their projects to keep his bigger projects afloat

Rumble fish is unironically his best film. Rumble > Conversation > Apocalypse Now > Rest

how did coppola and others fall off yet verhoven thrived ?

>verhoven thrived

Little known fact. Apocalypse now was a George Lucas and John millius project.
Lucas just had his hands full with different things and gave it to Coppola.

The Departed and Shutter Island are pure kino.

divine intervention

Watch Heart of Darkness, the documentary on the making of AN, shot by his wife. He almost eats a gun after Marlon Brando fucks with the production (at least he didn't demand to wear a bucket on his head). He basically exhausted himself and his spirit.

Anyway, the film after AN, One from the Heart, Coppola toyed with new tech and blew the budget by a huge, huge amount. His biggest mistake was dropping the ball on a musical. He owed so much money through Zoetrope(?), his production company, that he basically took whatever directorial job he could get.

For me he peaked with the godfather 1&2 and apocalypse now. It's a tough tough act to follow I mean, it's hard to top these. Like others in the thread I think he kept making good movies until the 90's, but nothing as memorable as these 3 masterpieces. He also started his wine empire around the same time and probably found it easier than dealing with the studio system. It might pay even better in the end all things considered.

Dracula was good. Not amazing, but breddy good.

I watched it years ago and remember being pretty bored

people that say it's better than Apocalypse seem like shitters, maybe I'll give it another go though I think I already did a few years back and didn't like it. maybe just not for me

It's great but it's not AN. It's like a dessert for the the main course. Great insights and you can see the descent into madness.

>verhoven thrived
1992 Basic Instinct
1990 Total Recall
1987 RoboCop

must of just been carolco being flush with cash

Bringing Out the Dead is fucking great and way underrated though.

Twixt was a guilty pleasure. It was pretty awful but I think you can guess what I liked about it.

I have mixed feelings on it but Somewhere didn't focus on a teenage girl.

making apocalypse now pretty much broke his mind. just go watch the documentary on the making of, he really was going fucking crazy

Rumble Fish was good.