Best Movie Trilogy

I nominate pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HvF31-2bVNE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like The Matrix more than LOTR, but LOTR is still probably the most solid trilogy of all time

The factual answer is the dollars trilogy anything other than this answer is wrong.

Yeah, the first Matrix film is amazing. The other two are garbage though.

Star Wars > Lord of the Rings > Sheridan's Frontier Trilogy

My favs.

Are you ranking it based on how well it functions as a trilogy, or are these just three films you like better than other trilogies of films?

Marathoned LOTR at least once a year. Aside from some silly outdated effects, they are still great movies.

The quality of the three films as a whole.

LOTR>TDK>The Godfather (third is meh)>...

LotR is probly the only trilogy I can think of where the quality doesnt completely drop in the 3rd movie.

There arent really that many outdated effects. Maybe the cave troll in 1 and the legolas elephant take down scene. Most of it still holds up today

The hobbit movies look like utter shit in comparison despite being made 10 years later and having 3 times the budget

Pusher, now fuck off with your fantasy bullshit you brainlets

This or the three colors

For me it's mostly on the 3rd. The ghost armies and when the earth cracked and swallowed all the orcs.

This is my favorite film trilogy. Period. Everything that could have gone right did go right. You can tell that a lot of time, effort, and love went into each movie. Even more, the quality is consistent across each installment. There is no "dud" out of the three. How many trilogies can make that claim?

It's all made more impressive when you consider the source material. Yes, a lot needed to be changed, removed, and added, but what makes a good book does not always make a good movie. These movies were able to translate the spirit of the books to the screen, and managed to be beautiful films and cultural milestones in their own right.

No future adaptations will ever come close to this.

>tfw we will always have an untainted lotr trilogy without too much studio interference or forced diversity

feels good man

Fuck no.

Even though Part III falters a bit, the Godfather trilogy is arguably the best on the strength of the first two films.

The Leone/Eastwood "Man With No Name" films are another contender, if you allow them as a trilogy.

Otherwise, it's the Star Wars OT.

>untainted
It's an abomination compared to the books, though. Hell, it's even less faithful to the books than the Rankin-Bass animated films, let alone the abortive Bakshi effort.

>forced diversity
Other than, you know, Arwen being shoehorned into a much larger role so as to have a female in the main cast.

I dont know how people like star wars OT so much when RotJ is what it is. Aside from the beginning and the throne room scene being absolute kino the movie is complete nonsense. And the special editions fucked that movie 10 times as hard as they did with the others

If they wanted to stay completely faithful to the books it would have taken even more movies. And it could have been way, way worse.

They originally had Arwen show up to fight at helms deep until liv tyler told peter jackson it was dumb as shit.

I'm just saying that theyre pretty much as good as they could be, aside from a few silly moments. Just wait and see what a shitshow the Amazon show is going to be.

>These movies were able to translate the spirit of the books to the screen
Exactly, which shouldn't have even been possible. The end with Frodo getting on the ship and the Hobbits crying, then Into The West playing at the credits after that all hit me almost as hard as reading the end of the book the first time. What are these tears upon my face?
youtube.com/watch?v=HvF31-2bVNE

Accepted.

That scene just makes me chuckle just watching it on youtube now that I know what a mess the filming of it was

You kind of sound like you're complaining about tiny details like the wrong person throwing the rock at Moria, or switching Gandalf and Aragorn's opinions about the mountain vs Moria, or just the things they had absolutely no time for.

It was shockingly faithful for a modern live action adaptation, The worst things and only real issues in my opinion were making Gimli comedic relief in almost every scene he was in, and turning Sauron into a big eyeball.

Theatrical ROTJ is fine. Not quite as great as the first two, but still really good.

>Aside from the beginning and the throne room scene being absolute kino the movie is complete nonsense.
How so?

>the special editions fucked that movie 10 times as hard as they did with the others
Yes, the SE is horrible (although I won't go so far as 10x, because the SE of Star Wars is pretty bad, too, what with Jabba, and Greedo shooting first, and really just Mos Eisley in general). So don't watch that version. Watch the theatrical version.

>If they wanted to stay completely faithful to the books it would have taken even more movies.
It should have been six films, to match the structure of the books, IMO.

>And it could have been way, way worse.
The fact that it could have been worse is beside the point. That's not "untainted." That's more like invoking the "five second rule" when food falls on the floor, and saying "at least it didn't fall on the ground outdoors."

>Just wait and see what a shitshow the Amazon show is going to be.
Also beside the point because that's an original plot with original characters, only using the setting because that's all they have the rights to. It's expensive fanfic, nothing more.

PJ missed the point of the books at least as often as he captured it, though.

Back to the future, followed closely by Indiana jones

I nominate the Grinch

Nobody was going to fund six fucking films of LotR. From what I understood they had to fight pretty hard to get to make 3 movies instead of 2.

Best trilogy - LOTR
Best duology - Godfather 1&2
Best unilogy - Matrix

The endor shit is a big toy commercial that completely fucks the pacing of the later half of the movie. Also death star 2.0

Not at all.

If complaining about major things, like half of TTT being invented out of thin air, or like ramping the action scenes way up like with the cave troll scene (which prefigured what would happen with the Hobbit films), or Gimli being reduced to comic relief.

>Nobody was going to fund six fucking films of LotR. From what I understood they had to fight pretty hard to get to make 3 movies instead of 2.
Then why was it so easy to get a trilogy out of The Hobbit? Goddammit why can't we have nice things?

Because LotR ended up being way more successful than most people expected. Then the studio figured out they could do the same thing with hobbit and threw a billion dollars at PJ and told him to make 3 CGI turds in a ridiculously short time. Its a shame that it kinda worked for them.

The Hobbit should've been one long movie imo

I know, but then so be it. Some things shouldn't be adapted to film if they can't be done properly.

Also, Bakhsi's one film was somehow more faithful to the books than PJ's first two to reach roughly the same point. I'm not half as bothered by the things that PJ left out for time as I am by the things that he invented out of whole cloth which wasted time (like Aragorn's bullshit dream sequence, the whole Arwen arc in the second film, the extended cave troll fight, etc.). If he hadn't kept inventing shit (mostly for the sake of increasing the action), he might have actually had the time to adapt things he ended up leaving out.

Endor is not a toy commercial, though (not primarily). It was re-purposing material that got cut from the first film.

And Death Star 2.0 actually makes sense. Do you really expect the Empire to just give up on building the ultimate super-weapon just because the prototype was destroyed? No, of course they're going to get right back on building another one. Remember, all that shit about it taking like 30 years to build the damned thing was introduced by the prequels (and makes no sense, really): you can't hold it against the OT.

I mean, if the B-29 carrying the first A-bomb to Hiroshima had been shot down, do you think a second one wouldn't have been sent? As it was, when one wasn't enough to end the war, a second one was dropped on Nagisaki. That's the way the world actually works.

im pretty sure building a new a bomb isnt as big of a deal when it comes to resources as a fucking space station the size of a small moon

What was Sheev's tax policy?

im sure its somewhere in the prequels if you manage to watch the senate scenes without falling asleep

Just wondering how much of the annual military budget the two Death Stars ate up.

Maybe that's why it's not finished yet.

The Empire is supposed to have pretty significant resources at its disposal, anyway. Even the fleet that is present at Endor is implied to be only a small fraction of the Imperial forces.

I really like the second part but i've never been in love with a woman so I can't help but feel that these movies are wasted on me.

Also, it actually kind of was a big deal to build multiple bombs at the time given that the technology was in its infancy and the stockpile of fissionable material was pretty small.

im sure the us would have more in a couple of months if they failed to nuke the japanese the first time

Sure, but a couple of months would have been considered a major delay at the time, especially since the prospective alternative to the bomb was to attempt a full-scale invasion of Japan.

And keep in mind that something like a couple of years pass between Wars and Empire, and several months at least between Empire and Jedi. It's not like the Death Star II was built (even to the half-finished state it had reached in Jedi) in a fortnight.

>Hell, it's even less faithful to the books than the Rankin-Bass animated films, let alone the abortive Bakshi effort
For the sake of making a film, things are going to get cut.

Unless you wanted them to keep shit like Frodo sitting around in the Shire for a year before he decides to leave with the Ring.

What is the best trilogy after LOTR?My vote goes for the dollars one

The point is that PJ cut practically all of the same things Bakshi cut, despite having more time to work with (as I said above, it took him two whole films to reach essentially the same point in the story as Bakshi's one film), and simply filled up the space with bullshit of his own invention.

Do you realize the difference between an animated film and a live action film where you have to cast the actors, work with them, build shit tons of sets and all that other bullshit

Walking through the halls of Moria is really jarring

Holiday whobie-whattie?

>simply filled up the space with bullshit of his own invention
Yeah, and for the most part this isn't an issue. Tolkien's works would be a challenge to adapt to a modern film, and they pulled it off.

One thing people forget about Tolkien is that he was a linguist, first and foremost. He made up Middle Earth and all that so he could make a place with all these races that speak different languages and extensive histories. As an example of extensive world building, it's great. But the plot and pacing suffer for it, there's no denying that.

The movies could have turned out to be a complete fucking mess. Instead we got a great trilogy.

This

We should be great full that they turned decent

The battles weren't so well described in the books that they couldn't be embellished a bit I thought. I get the cave troll was really unnecessary big screen drama but in the end Frodo was still skewered like a wild boar.

The people who are complaining are nitpicking. The films captured the spirit of the books. The CGI that didn’t age well is mercifully short. The rewrites to make Gimli funnier played well to the strengths of the actor. The stuff that was left out of the films was unnecessary to the story, to the point that I prefer the theatrical versions to the extended ones. They’re not perfect but they are comfy as fuck films that managed to capture the kind of old-school filmmaking magic you don’t see very often anymore.

>Frodo sitting around in the Shire for a year before he decides to leave with the Ring.
More like 20 years.

It's full of feminism tho, a lot of the characters are seriously undermined (Sam, Aragorn, Faramir), and it completely fucks up the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
If you asked Tolkien himself, he'd think it was tainted.

>MEN OF GONDOR, OF ROHAN, MY BROTHERS! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day may come when the courage of men fails, and we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. AN HOUR OF WOLVES AND SHATTERED SHIELDS, WHEN THE AGE OF MEN COMES CRASHING DOWN! But it is not this day. This day we fight! For all that you hold dear, I bid you STAND, MEN OF THE WEST!

>its full of feminism

how so? arwen saving frodo?

all of these are fine. galadriel going all green in fellowship actually looks like crap

Why did nobody post this yet you fucking plebs? This board is so fucking cancerous.

Not the cornetto trilogy user please.