What went wrong?

What went wrong?

dougie

Nothing. Watching muh coffee and cherry pue fags get btfo was phenomenal

Absolutely nothing.

this

Nothing. It was literally flawless.

For me, the show was just ugly. It had nothing to do with the story or the characters. The original series was beautiful to look at. S3, with the exception of a few incredible shots/sequences and all of episode 8, looked like shit. And yes, I get that the look of the effects was intentional, but it added to the sheer lack of visual/stylistic consistency with the original series.

>that awful viva las vegas needledrp

really? flawless?

It's the same mystery box bullshit it always was, just with better direction to make it seem arty, so it escapes the same criticism given to hacks like JJ Abrams.

Lynch himself having such a retardedly prominent role to the point where you get stupid scenes like with the one with French women

And I get that it's art but it feels pretty directionless at times

Cherry pie and coffee were featured heavily in season 3 and cherry pie was even a fucking plot device. Come up with your own arguments instead of parroting Sup Forums contrarians, you fucking redditor.

Danny Brown, Young Thug, or Death Grips should've stopped by the Roadhouse

Showdown between the two Coops was a letdown. Also, needed more Ray Wise.

You should go drink everything under your sink.

Apologies in advance for Albert, everyone

The Diane character and actress.

Lynch needed a filter. He’s brilliant, but his ideas often need cleaning up or managing. The series was still great, but that makes the few flaws stick out like a sore thumb. With some minor editing, it could have been perfect.

inb4 muh lynch’s unsullied vision

i enjoyed it
and it fucked things up enough to repel the normies

>Death Grips should've stopped by the Roadhouse
Ladies and gentlemen, the Roadhouse is proud to present The Death Grips featuring McRide!

i want unfiltered lynch

I keep my drinks in a fridge. what kind of fucked up house do you live in? do you sleep in the bath?

it was so good that there is no point in ever watching another show ever again

television is over

Lynch trolling his audience instead of making the show

Daily reminder that Diane is Space Feminist

Lynch having full creative control was the best thing that could've possibly happened to the show.

You know why? Because David lynch was never interested in returning to Twin Peaks. The original show had it's moment and then it was gone. Shit happens. Lynch had already accepted this.

The new show was obviously supposed to be a deconstruction of the nostalgic appeal for the old show while also giving Lynch a platform to make entirely new things. One of the major motifs of the show is going back and repeating the same things (going back to Twin Peaks, going back to save Laura palmer) but something is not right. It's not the same. Everyone is stuck going through the motions. It's great for expanding the lore and mythos of the show but also alludes to Lynch's feelings about doing more Twin Peaks.

There is no going back. It's over and has been for years. You can't change the past. Laura is still dead. Twin Peaks is still dead. Anyone who wants to go back is stuck in a loop forever. Waiting for their nostalgia to make things better but it never does.

The fight scene between Freddy and Bob, also making Diane into like the second most important character of the whole show in the last couple episodes just because Lynch wanted to shoehorn his waifu in.

the very same concept: giving full creative control to a senile pretentious hack

Horrible unbalance between Lynch's free-associative storytelling and Frost wanking over standard mystery box tv show convention

No network control to restrain Lynch. Depending on what you like it was a good thing.

Frost was responsible for Episode 8 though

In what capacity?

Most of the lore

The lore/story aspect. The visuals/cinematography were obviously Lynch. It was by far the best thing to ever come out of their collaboration. Both of them at their best.

Exclusively Twin Peaks fans (not necessarily Lynch fans) were hoping for more Twin Peaks. Got more pure Lynch.
David Lynch fans come out happy, though.

all shows/films/franchises brought back from limbo are inevitably shit

you should have known better

>Exclusively Twin Peaks fans (not necessarily Lynch fans) were hoping for more Twin Peaks.
Those people are eventually going to come around to it

I love Lynch and even I admit that there was a lot that could have been ironed out. Some aspects just seemed sloppy or unfinished. It felt like we got a beta release of the show instead of a finished product.

Fire Walk WIth Me had a perfect ending, but Lynch decided to make this show for some reason.
>David Lynch fans come out happy, though.
I'm a Lynch fan, and Twin Peaks is (including The Return) is middle of the road Lynch. Nowhere close to the level of Blue Velvet or Lost Highway.

It's perfect. Best series of Twin Peaks in my opinion.

Another problem I have with The Return is that the original series, and even FWWM to an extent, gave Twin Peaks a feel of a town that was trapped in time. It felt like it wasn't the part of any era in particular. The Return expanded the scope too much therefore placing Twin Peaks in a familiar modern world, and Twin Peaks itself didn't get nearly enough focus. As if that wasn't enough, they still introduced a flurry of new characters that didn't get any development because the focus of the show was all over the place.

I also enjoyed the original series explanation of "the evil in the woods". Twin Peaks was unique. Now the whole thing is just some supernatural mass conflict.

I think this is why Twin Peaks has been the only revival that actually worked for me; the rest were basically coasting on nostalgia and had very little to say about anything. If Lynch & Frost had made the series three that the fans thought they wanted it would have been a nothing but a purely masturbatory exercise.

I love The Return, but I've kind of had to accept it as its own thing, if I try to view it through the lens of the original, it does too many things differently that it is not satisfying in any sense.

What I love about the original in other words is not what I love about The Return. I think there's a lot of aspects of The Return that I wished it had done better, but I also feel like the sacrifices made to make it what it is were worth it. But still, when all is said and done and the complete package is out there, I still cherish aspects of the original show the most, the town and sense of place that it had, the contrast between the light and incredibly dark, violence kind of lost its meaning in the return, there's no harrowing scenes like Laura/Maddy's death, and the red room scenes don't hit as hard either.

Season three is essentially Lynch's version of Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent and I'm fine with that.

terrible, I'm sorry

This is about as well as I've ever seen it put. Mirrors my viewpoint exactly.

that does sound terrible, I feel sorry for you too. hopefully you have plans to move out soon. you're employed, right?

Nothing too big, really, it set it what it tried to be. It definitely didn't need to be 18 episodes long though, some tighter editing or storyplanning was needed.

I'm sorely tempted to try editing the whole thing down into a long-ish feature.

do it

He did have a filter; its name was Mark Frost.

I wasn't supposed to be anything like the original. The original was it's own thing bevause it was able to exist in a certain place or time. The Return is not supposed to feel the same. If they had simply attempted to recreate what made Twin Peaks good they wouldve failed because Twin Peaks was good almost on accident.

I was relieved they made it completely different while maintaining the same connections.

No, that's what we thought would happen. It didn't, though. Frost himself moved on from wanting a traditional approach to television structure and just wanted to get his Twin Peaks expanded universe lore made canon.

I'm not disagreeing with you user, just putting it out there that Lynch wasn't the sole creative force behind TP. Frost never really seems to get any credit.

I think Lynch just used this show as an opportunity to exponge a lot of his random ideas and characters he's had over the years. In other words he's just trying to get all his ideas out before he's physically unable to make films anymore. He was never interested in returning to Twin Peaks and continuing the story and I don't blame him.

I agree, I think emulating the original show would have been a futile effort, as it wouldn't have ever been as good and would have never had a chance to reach new heights.

As it stands, The Return does reach new artistic heights, I love that they went with this approach. But as I said, what I cherish the most is still aspects from that original show, even if I have no complaints with how The Return was handled.

Was Bushnell Mullins the purest good character in all of Twin Peaks canon? I think so.

Well, I don't believe this for the simple fact that Lynch clearly loves Twin Peaks more than anything else he's ever done, the man has returned to it many times before this revival. I have no doubt he was really excited about returning to it, he just had no plans returning to the old show, he wanted to explore new things.

This is surprisingly accurate.

>everyone waiting for the inevitable Audrey-Cooper scene
>it doesn't only not happen but Audrey is just in for a episode as metonymy for the feeling behind the whole show

Lynch's fantastic at trolling.

Yeah. The Twin Peaks threads when The Return premiered were cancerous with their anti-Frost memeing. He's integral to Twin Peaks, even if I don't agree with everything he does.

Yes he is.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

FROSTED

bobe lol

will he return 25 years from now when we get Season 4?

tom hanks should have never been twin peaks

>New Twin Peaks film in x years
>Michael Cera is the sole returning actor

Not quite but he's up there. Possibly my favourite wholly original character from season three.

>tips surreal existential crisis
Yep and yet the message never felt mean-spirited, it was just very blunt; you cannot go back.

Nothing. It's the only show that I still discuss with my friends.

Only issue I had was not enough Sheryl Lee or Ray Wise. Shame to waste the two best actors in the cast.

Diane.

this but also Sopranos and Band of Brothers

Would you give your soul to save Annie?

no

more like SHERYL REE LOL

Why not to return Annie in the last episode? I mean replace Diane with her. More logical, than Lynch shoehorning his waifu to make her Cooper's lover.

Lynch did not like the character of Annie

I wish my friends watched Twin Peaks :(

I don't buy that. At least not enough to where it would be an issue. He cast her in FWWM. The Lynch nepotism was a lot of the problem with The Return in my opinion. He just hired his clique and jackoff material. Chrysta Bell had no business in this show, for instance.

hey

Lynch couldn't think how to end the show, so he just didn't.

Which wouldn't be AS bad if we knew there will be more or if this is it.

Less Dougie, less scenes that went on and on but had no reason to be there other than Lynch intentionally appealing to THOSE fans that find that kind of shit brilliant, deep and stuff, and also intentionally pissing everyone else off at the same time.

there wasn't anything wrong with that other than your taste in music

He was annoying at first, but he grew on me after a while.

>Lynch couldn't think how to end the show, so he just didn't.

I thought the ending was great.

You'll never see something like Twin Peaks: The Return on television ever again, it was amazing for that reason alone.

Yeah. I didn't even mind Dougie. I thought the inclusion was fine, but the real problem was how little actual Cooper we got. We got, what? 10 minutes of Dale Cooper? And most of it was the absolutely stupid deus ex machina Freddie vs. BOB orb battle.

Call me a nostalgiafag or whatever, but Cooper FINALLY coming to his senses only to immediately take him away again is intentionally antagonistic. We should have at least gotten a full episode of Coop.

>Cooper never got to meet Harry again

>he doesn't understand that "cherry and pie" isn't literal but refers to a distinctly bitter audience who wanted The Return to evoke nothing more than the warm, comfy tone of the original and were frustrated with the final product
If you think the fact that coffee and pie was present in S3 somehow proves that other poster wrong, you're fucking retarded. I doubt you were even here for /tpg/ while the show was on air

Nothing. If anything it showed why none of the other nostalgic revivals didn't work by steering mostly away from pure nostalgia.

There's really no going back, as things from the past rarely are what you expect them to be when you continue them later on. Too much time has passed for a series like the original TP to work with new episodes, so it's better to steer in another direction and broaden the horizon.

TPtR is no means a perfect series. There was things in it that didn't work, but it was most of the time intriguing trip to that world, seen from a different perspective.

When it first came out, I watched 1st episode, thought that's this carp and didn't follow anymore. Not so long ago got sick, DL full season and it was strange but really fun. Enjoyed quite a bit at the end.

>posts 3 sentences of "no shit" response to something he thinks is difficult to understand
Yeah, you must have been at the top of your fuckin' class.

>parroting memes is okay if everyone else does
I was part of Twin Peaks threads before The Return even aired. I know the meaning of the "coffee and pie" criticism. It doesn't mean it's not stupid. Season 3 itself featuring coffee and pie as part of its identity negates the very essence of the criticism.

Comfyfag is an appropriate criticism. David Lynch himself indulged in the coffee and pie iconography in The Return.

>releasing behind the scenes footage
absolutely haram

Anybody got a link to the Blu-ray special features?

He was a meta and philosophical character.

>people just want to hear themselves