Is this a good movie?

Is this a good movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q4MHuwO7e9o
youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g
boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1
ign.com/articles/2018/01/03/wonder-woman-2-will-be-totally-different-from-first-film-director-patty-jenkins-says
youtube.com/watch?v=HnemVxvTNS0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mario Puzo wrote the screenplay, fantastic storytelling by the master.

>Not part of some retarded extended universe

I'd say so.

youtu.be/q4MHuwO7e9o

I'd say its a great movie.

Dubs of truth. One of the best with the tech available back then.

It would have been better with Sean Penn as Superman. And if he fought a giant spider at the end.

yes. But it belongs to a time past.

unironically the only good great cape movie

I'm sure nostalgia bias sways me a bit, but this movie is absolutely on par with Batman (1989) in terms of its superiority over anything with a cape made within the last 20 years. The effects are a bit campy, but fun anyway. Gene Hackman plays an awesome Luthor with just the right amount of hamming it up. I'll go so far as to say that II and III were pretty good too.

Reeve's performance is really underrated. He does a terrific job.

>nostalgia bias sways me a bit
I rewatched it not to long ago for the first time in like 25 years. It's not nostalgia, i'd legitimately good.

We were robbed.

Does the possibility of Leto and Eisenberg teaming up not excite you?

It good

>Is this a good movie?
youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g

>Leto and Eisenberg teaming

Bet they don't even share a single scene together.

[fart noise intensifies]

God willing

We'll be able to do this with computers really soon, right? Like our own personal, procedurally generated custom movies?

This & supes 2 are damn good movies, avoid 3 & 4 at all costs

>implying Quest for Peace isn't one of the finest Cannon Films ever made
Everyone should watch superman IV.

>Eisenberg

>yes. But it belongs to a time past.
1978 America was being rocked by an out-of-control drug epidemic, wide-spread civil unrest, surging crime, environmental catastrophes, huge domestic political scandals and rampant public immorality.

It always gives me a chuckle when people think Superman the Movie was released in some innocent, simpler age.

It was literally a callback to when "things were simpler and nicer" in America (for white people).
It would've been really simple to make Superman: the Movie for a 2012 audience.

Why not an animated movie with voice impersonators? The Adam West Batman got some animated movies not too long ago,

when I re-watched it as an adult, I was surprised at how good it really is. even stuff like how the shots were composed and the colors.

Yes, and watch Richard Donner's Superman II cut right after.

There is really no good cut for the final act of Superman II.
Donner or Lester, it's all pretty bad after the Krypto-convicts are defeated. Though the Lester cut is worse by basically being the leadoff to Superman Returns.

So there's only one good Superman movie?

One and 3/4.
Superman II is only fucked up in what is basically the wrap up.
Lester Cut, Lois is so obsessed with the Supercock that she can't bear for him to be off doing Superman shit, she's having a nervous breakdown so Supes gives her a "memory erase kiss" that has her forgetting his identity, the fact that he married her and was plowing dat ass.

Donner Cut Supes lazor visions the Fortress of Solitude to atoms (with Luthor apparently inside it), then does the time-reversal trick from Superman the Movie and undoes everything in the movie entirely, the fortress is un-destroyed, the convicts are never freed in the first place.
The Donner cut was slapped together with bits and pieces of what Donner had filmed, it wasn't going to be his final product.

I love this moment so much

>It always gives me a chuckle when people think Superman the Movie was released in some innocent, simpler age.
Because everyone saw this movie when they were five and it was literally an innocent simpler age.

squeal was better desu

you damn well know it's phenomenal
> best set design of any movie ever made
> peak Williams score
> Phenomenal cast. Maybe the best for capeshit
> Great screenplay
> Wonderful direction
> superb cinematography
Only flaw I'd point out is maybe the dated visual effects. But anyone who studies the history of effects finds them fascinating. Interesting bridge between the British effects pioneered during 2001 and the new Hollywood effects pioneered by ILM.

Yes, for them.
America was no more innocent in 1978 than it was in 2016.
The only substantial difference is the Internets. Now you can have an echo chamber of Screeching Autists making enough noise to convince producers that Superman needs to be some Edgy Shit.

His performance is what sells it. His confidence and charisma overcome anything cheesy. That said, the first part of the movie, the origin, is pure kino. Right up until he leaves the fortress for the first time. The rest is great, but you could split off that first part and it would work on its own.

Earnestness and being unashamed of the material are key component of selling fantastical stories, whether they be about Hobbits or Handsome Alien Heroes.

Goddamn DCEU just never got that. It's so fucking self-conscious it's ridiculous.

>That said, the first part of the movie, the origin, is pure kino.
Agreed. The first act is next to perfection. The second act is spectacle filmmaking at its finest. And the third act, while still good, is the weakest link.

Yeah, I'd avoid the Donner cut. It might have been good if it was done that way originally and edited correctly, but as it sits now it's really messy to watch and doesn't fit with Superman I as it reused the time rewind thing. It's only good if you're really curious about the possibility of what his original vision was, but since the power if Superman I & II is to inspire the inner child I think overly analyzing it all defeats it's ability to do that.

will we ever get a crew of such talent again in capeflicks? everyone down to the editor was top notch

I think this says it all.
>That number of theaters
Superman the Movie was a phenom.

They're really meant to work together as one big 2 part movie.

The only reason you need Superman II is because otherwise Superman faces no consequences for disobeying his father.

Not sure the source but this makes sense. Superman I was the first time anyone had ever attempted to take anything from a comic book and do it as a major, high budget, high profile film. No one had ever seen anything like it before and it gave people chills the first time they saw things like the scene of him catching the helicopter. People went back over and over to see it again because there was no "I can't wait until it comes out on video / dvd / streaming." This was a time when you hoped it came back to a theater again or ended up the movie of the week a few years later on TV.

How is Zod breaking free a consequence of Superman's disobeying him?
Sounds like someone's been watching too many fan edits.

That's part of it, but I & II were always meant to be one thing. It wasn't a sequel in the traditional sense, any more than the LOtR movies were sequels. They were always planned as one big story.

not OP but here's the source boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1

It's called making a genuine movie that gives no fucks about what 13 yr-old social outcasts might think about it.

I think we can all agree that the sincerity and heart that were there, in no small part to Reeve's portrayal and the script that was unashamed of the source material make this something truly special. They didn't feel they needed to alter the suit or the character or anything to make it "more respectable." They just took the most iconic superhero and presented him as he was. No one would be this brave today in a high profile film.

Oh? Did Zod and his lackeys not break free because of Superman reversing time?

People today really don't understand how GIGANTIC Superman was in the 40's and 50's.
Bigger even than Batman or Spider-Man has ever been.

Superman the Movie takes the best elements of the classic post WW2 Superman and modernized it, and families bought into it, grandparents brought their grandkids to it, it was brilliant entertainment aimed directly at the hearts of the masses, who really didn't like the way the country seemed to be progressing.

No, that's from a fan edit trying to link the movies.

Atomic bomb detonation in space frees them.

Those used Adam West, Burt Ward, and Julie Newmar. The second one came out this year (released after West died) and has based Shatner as Two-Face

I agree. They tried to tap into that with making it appear her crashed to earth in 1938ish and was in high school in the 50's, even though on closer examination the years don't add up with him then arriving in Metropolis in the "present" of 1978. He'd have been in his 40's (assuming regular aging and that he arrived being aged to about 3-4 years old)

maybe they will switch places, and eisenberg becomes the joker while leto starts playing the Luthor

Yes.

Still the best superhero movie ever made, IMO (Burton's Batman might be a close second).

It's just unfortunate that Donner wasn't allowed to complete filming both movies simultaneously, as planned. The Donner cut of II gives some idea of what might have been, but we'll never see it made properly.

>They tried to tap into that with making it appear her crashed to earth in 1938ish

Why, because his parents owned an old ass truck and dressed conservatively?

Have you never been to Kansas?

Do you think that breaks the lesson from earlier in the first movie? That he cannot save everyone.

Or we just let the JL flop soft reset the DCEU and let the worst Lex Luthor ever just fade away. Better yet, we stay in this cozy thread and forget about what came after.

No, that was hinted at through the old truck, but the scenes of him in high school were clearly the 50s based on the radio music and the cars. So working backwards it takes you close to 1940 and they make a point about mentioning 1938 in the opening so it's heavily implied.

IIRC, reversing time wasn't even originally supposed to be in the first film. It was supposed to be in the second one, but got moved to the first one after filming on II got shut down by the studio due to the whole project being behind schedule.

Agreed. There isn't a single thing in the DCEU that's worth preserving.
Not
A
Single
Thing

This is because it's set in a time and part of the country where you didn't have satellite radio, MTV, or the like.
Kansas was way the fuck out of the loop, and living in previous decades. You just don't understand how truly conservative it was.
And farmers bought those old 40's and 50's trucks and kept them forever. My HS friend's corn farming neighbor had an oldie with over 500k miles on it. If you took care of those old inline trucks they'd literally last forever.

People seem to love their Wonder Woman.

Yeah, they really stampeded out to see her latest adventure, didn't they?

>the years don't add up with him then arriving in Metropolis in the "present" of 1978.
To be fair, the "present" of the film feels rather more like the early '70s than the late '70s.

It was far too associated with Dawn of Justice and the widely publicized production troubles of Justice League didn't help matters. When the direct sequel to Wonder Woman comes out you'll see the difference. Her second movie and Aquaman are getting released no matter what. The former is filming and the latter is finished.

This movie was amazing. Great script

>The eternally optimistic DCfriend.
The Aquaman movies waters have been tainted by JL (pun intended).
And what you're going to see is how a movie performs when Gadot isn't standing around playing nitwit Cousin Jethro while a bunch of genuine actors carry the movie narrative around.

>While speaking to Entertainment Tonight at the Palm Springs Film Festival earlier this week, Jenkins briefly discussed her vision for the anticipated DC movie. The director is treating Wonder Woman 2 more as a completely separate film rather than a sequel. But, Jenkins has reassured fans Wonder Woman 2 will still maintain some of the things people loved from the first movie.

>“We’re actually making a totally different film with a lot of the same, similar like things that we love, but it’s its own movie completely, so it’s not ‘two’ to us,” Jenkins said. “It’s an entirely new adventure together that we couldn’t be luckier [to do].”
ign.com/articles/2018/01/03/wonder-woman-2-will-be-totally-different-from-first-film-director-patty-jenkins-says

Wonder Woman 2 is going to abandon the tone and structure of the first film, and have no Pine.
Prepare your ass for Gadot attempting to carry a film.

That may be true but in films they try to portray things like that with intention. Example, most movies set in the 40's are filled with cars of the 40s when in reality half the cars on the road were leftovers from the 30 and even 20s. But they don't show it that way most of the time because it confuses audiences. I don't know if anyone's done a serious timeline for the movie but I always felt they set the origin a little early to achieve that connection and kind of fudged the time leap a bit. Rationalizing it as Kansas listening to 50's rock in roughly 1970 feels like a stretch.

Where do you get the concept of the kids in Superman the Movie listening to 50's rock, or any music at all?

Sure, they are driving old ass cars, but I drove a 20 year old car in HS myself.
youtube.com/watch?v=HnemVxvTNS0

Cinematography.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not invested in the DCEU at all. They are a bunch of a bad movies. I just remember all of the hype surrounding Wonder Woman last year and the two other films in this universe set to release.

Explain, if the Snyderverse has such "great" cinematography, that it was never nominated for an award for it? Those nominations are done by veteran cinematographers, the technical awards are always nom'd by field veterans.

They don't seem to think much of it, so why should I take the opinion of a professional internet autist seriously? For all I know you are easily impressed.

Wonder Woman wasn't super-hyped, it was viewed with caution at most.
That showed in it's non-spectacular opening weekend.
It got the Female Seal of Approval, and women over the age of 25 just kept showing up weekend after weekend to support Patty til it made an amazing domestic showing.

>yuh autism
Don't project yourself onto me. And lots of things get snubbed at awards, if they even get nominated. And all awards are looked over by vets. Isolation won't help you. No different from the professional "critics" at RT, with their fantastic reviews of Ghostbusters, BR2049, & Bright.

The hype after it released. It received glowing reviews, critics claimed it was one of the best comic book movies ever, and Gadot was described as an inspiration to girls everywhere. Justice League advertisements became WW focused as a means to capitalize on the hype. It didn't do much because of the ill-will spawned by Dawn of Justice and I think this incarnation of Superman is irredeemably tainted in the eyes of most. There's a reason Man of Steel II is absent from the list of films Warner Brothers intends to make in the near future.

There is supposedly a sequel, but not with that name. Or at least a Superman movie in the DCEU.

It's truly great, and with a good fan-edit of Superman II combining both the Lester and Donner cuts, a GOAT fantasy/sci-fi/adventure film.

When the car full of students pulls up to him in front of his house "Rock Around The Clock" (1955) is playing. Kansas may have been a bit behind but high school kids wouldn't have been listening to that in what would have had to have been the very late 60s or 1970.

I think we're just supposed to suspend disbelief a little so that we can feel like he's a throwback even in 1978. It's said his training in the Fortress of Solitude took up some time and I think we're supposed to feel like that accounts for the difference.

People are under the misconception that Superman is inherently boring and only a warped version of him has potential to be interesting. Even Superman Returns was needlessly grim.

He was extremely goofy as Clark and incredibly charismatic as Superman. He played both characters so well. Maybe it was cause I grew up watching those movies, but he will always be Superman to me.

Part 3 has evil Superman vs Clark Kent. That is a great scene.

Agreed. To me the way he manages to have such a presence as Superman and drop it completely as Clark Kent is brilliant. It's not just confidence and charisma although that's huge. His body language and everything change. There really hasn't been a portrayal of a superhero where you really just felt kind of safe and protected by watching him onscreen.