Armooond White's Best of 2017

> A Quiet Passion (2017)
> Théo and Hugo (2016)
> 4 Days in France
> Rester Vertical (2016)
> My Life as a Courgette (2016)

bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017-all-the-votes/#/?poll=combined&voter=b10a1b

>Western film culture has always had a decidedly liberal, humanist slant but this wasn’t usually a problem until 2017 when that slant deranged critical thinking. In the US, wide praise for the utterly mediocre Wonder Woman seemed based entirely on the inference of media folk who, embarrassingly partisan reasons, were desperate to claim victory for any female figure. This pathetic delusion came from an obvious, topical, political basis, but It had a terrible cultural effect: The unrivalled best film of the year A Quiet Passion, Terence Davies’ biography of poet Emily Dickinson, had depth, beauty and intelligence but was ignored in favour of a third-rate comic book movie that primarily appealed to superficial, juvenile empowerment fantasies that many wanted to see take effect in the real world. Escapism was never so tragic.

>Movies are no longer a populist art form. But has Art failed in this political climate? That seemed to be the point of Ruben Ostlund’s Cannes winner The Square, its title being a fittingly fungible metaphor for the morphing of cinema’s screen shape into ever diminishing formats (TVs, computer monitors, tablets, cell phones and – funniest of all – watches). As a result, the five best films I saw in 2017 –Davies’ A Quiet Passion, Duscatel-Martineau’s Paris 05:59: Theo & Hugo, Jerome Reybaud’s 4 Days in France, Alain Guiraudie’s Staying Vertical, Claude Barris’ My Life as a Zucchini – nearly all failed to achieve the cultural stature and impact they deserve.

Other urls found in this thread:

bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017-all-the-votes/#/?poll=combined&voter=b10a1b
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

>bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017-all-the-votes/#/?poll=combined&voter=b10a1b

hes right tho

what about "call me by your name"? he didnt like that movie? has a gay romance n shit

He is right

he says that movie is a farce, Theo and Hugo is better.

This is now essential 2017 viewing. Plebs get out

>Rester Vertical
not a bad list at all

this guy is a pretentious cunt but i love how he ass blasts literally everyone. i disagree that a quiet passion is the unrivaled film of the year but i agree that its way better as a piece for women than wonder woman is.

even though you got quads and speak the truth, saying that an emily dickinson biopic is a more poignant "womyn" film than wonder woman (a highly marketed capeshit moichandising bananza) is kinda captain obvious level, almost a plebeian assertion that goes without saying

wtf, guys, say what you want about his taste, but he's right about the west. dare I say, /ourguy/

Based Almond, BTFO plebbit in 2018. He just can't stop killing plebs. /ourcritic/ confirmed.

Awaiting the salty "he is le contrarian" brainlets who like Nolan and Villenushit flicklets. Armond knows film. You are a first year wannabe cinebuff.

Fucking hack. A quiet passion was a 6/10 forgettable movie.
Bring Ebert back. Say no to fake poseur big words type of film criticism

>Western film culture has always had a decidedly liberal, humanist slant but this wasn’t usually a problem until 2017 when that slant deranged critical thinking. In the US, wide praise for the utterly mediocre Wonder Woman seemed based entirely on the inference of media folk who, embarrassingly partisan reasons, were desperate to claim victory for any female figur

He's not wrong

>flicklets
adding this to my shitposting vocab

>Paris 05:59 Theo and Hugo” is a French gay film that opens with an 18-minute orgy scene. The setting is a Paris sex club. The camera starts out surveying the bar area, where naked men sit chatting over drinks, then follows one middle-aged guy downstairs to an area where perhaps two dozen men are going at it.
>It should be noted that this scene is hardcore, meaning it contains erect penises and sex acts that are shown explicitly.

Now THIS is what I call kino

BASED Armond.

I think the only gay movie he likes last year is Theo Hugo and BPM. Maybe God's Own Country, I don't recall. He hates beach rats and cmbyn.

The fact this review was printed by the film critic for the National Review is absolutely hilarious.
I love Armond.

>b-b-but hes just a le c-contrarian
>my life as a courgette

Based Armando

>Bring Ebert back
dear god, reddit, could you be subtle at least?

stay #Litty, bro

>bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017-all-the-votes/#/?poll=combined&voter=b10a1b
someone in there voted for Super Mario Odyssey

A Quiet Passion was a really enjoyable movie and I am willing to bet I'm the only person on Sup Forums who saw it.

So basically -everyone- likes My Life as a Courgette.
Gotta see this thing now.

I've seen it, it's kind of a popular movie. It was okay.

Literally all five of those movies are made by homosexual men, and three of the movies are explicitly homosexual in content. Bravo, Armond!