MARVEL BUYS DC

Shamelessly ripping off another thread.

Warner Bros. decides their DC Comics line is no longer profitable and decides to sell the publishing rights to Disney. ONLY the publishing rights of their comics, so no movies, TV shows, games, and all that other jazz.

YOU are in charge of the publishing plan, and have been ordered to come up with seven titles for a possible first wave and their creative teams.

Who do you choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to
jimshooter.com/2011/08/superman-first-marvel-issue.html/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Marvel thread ripping off a DC thread.
Meta

>YOU are in charge of the publishing plan, and have been ordered to come up with seven titles for a possible first wave and their creative teams.

Detective Comics
Action Comics
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash
Harley Quinn

2hypercrisis4me

Mark waid would have Superman taken in by a "urban" couple

>Batman
>Detective Comics
>Nightwing
>Batgirl
>Red Hood
>Red Robin
>Batman & Robin

I'd keep it to a couple simple principles, even if I'll go overboard in explaining them:

1. It's set in the early years of the DCU. Year 3 or so. Dick is Robin, Wally is Kid Flash, Kara is a Supergirl found in Superman's early years like in pre-Crisis, and Barbara is a Batgirl who never went through the Killing Joke. That way you can grow the youngin's up while exploring the heroes becoming more experienced.
2. The core six founders of the League with their own solo books and corners of the universe (IE, their own supporting cast and villains) get their own book each, while the seventh title is a Justice League book combining them all and allowing the potential to explore the parts of the DCU that haven't gotten a book yet.
3. Green Arrow, the one DC A-List hero with his own book and corner of the universe who WASN'T a League founder, is prominently featured in the League book. Which is how it was pre-Crisis for a long time.
4. Each solo book hero gets a major supporting costumed hero to bounce off of, barring Wonder Woman who really doesn't have one, but Batman gets two because fuck you he's Batman so it all evens out. That way the entire roster of heroes is both easily maintainable yet keeps fan-favorite B-list heroes important in-and-out-of-universe (Robin, Supergirl, Jon Stewart, etc.).

List o' books:
1. Superman (with Supergirl)
2. Batman (with Dick-Robin and Barbara-Batgirl)
3. Wonder Woman
4. Flash (Barry with Kid Flash)
5. Green Lantern (Hal with Jon Stewart)
6. Aquaman (with Mera)
7. Justice League (prominently featuring Green Arrow as the 7th founder)

How come Wonder Woman doesn't get a sidekick?

>Warner Bros. decides their DC Comics line is no longer profitable and decides to sell the publishing rights
There were talks of doing this, the nu52 was a sales boost so the comic company wasn't dissolved

Believe me. I was looking and really wanted to give her a sidekick or supporting hero a la Jon to Hal or Mera to Aquaman.

But I was trying to distill DC to what I thought would be its absolute quintessential A-List and high B-List roster of good guys: both in-and-out-of-universe, both current and historical times of pop culture, and no one stuck out at her for me. I was tempted to say Steve Trevor but he doesn't really wear a costume, he's basically like Secret Agent Lois Lane (male) - a supporting *civilian* cast member and not supporting *superhero*.

Teen Titans was such an integral part of DC through the mid 60's driving upwards to the 80's... Kids liked the sidekicks of an age closer to theirs and loved their book. I'd include that as an 8th title.

The rest of your reasoning is completely sound. Honestly, if DC and Marvel trimmed the crap out of their titles and focused on 14 or fewer books for quality and consistency for release, it would be an interesting experiment to see how it panned out.

>The Adventures of Robin and her Bat Man
A genius young girl experiments in her pet bat, turning it into a bat/human hybrid. She teaches him human ways while using her chemistry skills and his physicality to fight crime.
>Green Lantern
An inhuman woman with the power to grow glowing plant constructs from her body.
>Super!
A completely ordinary teen stands for truth, justice, and the AWESOME way. He fights jerks at his college who would discriminate against super powered people.
>Wonder Woman
Wonder Man's powers are given to a woman. FINALLY.
Flash
>Quicksilver takes on a new identity as he becomes even faster. Still not a mutant.
>Namor and Aquaman
A civil war erupts in the seas.
>Justice
Wonder Woman, Robin, Flash, and Green Lantern form a team along with Aquawoman. Super! Is their fanboy.

best wonder woman design

Oh, Teen Titans would ABSOLUTELY be the 8th title in my rebooted world, no doubt about it. To me the two truly big teams DC has is the JLA of the Big Seven (core six and Green Arrow) and the Teen Titans of the NTT era/'04 cartoon, sans Wonder Girl and including Kid Flash (since history shows he got as much character development as Dick did).

I'd love to see DC do a trimmed-reboot like those eight titles, since these books and corners of the DCU are ALWAYS included in reboots and historically are what everything in the DCU either sprang out of wholesale or eventually got tied to (Doom Patrol having connections to the Teen Titans, for example, or the JL International heroes technically linked to the League or introduced in its book, etc.).

Just noticed OP. Where is that from? The superman equivalent looks like from that mind blowing 4th wall breaking comic

I would be okay with this, but DC is so problematic
Does it have to be SuperMAN?
Why not SuperXIR?

What if Stan Lee Created DC Characters or something along those lines.

>Finally, a chance to put batman, and everything closely related to him, in his own damn universe where he doesnt have to be compared to all the superpowered freaks around him all the time
Now I just need to think of what earth number would be good to represent him.

Using non Dc creators...

> Martian Manhunter
written by - Hickman
interior art by - Stuart Immonen & Jerome Opena

> Aquaman
written by - Jason Aaron (banned from adding exterior political or feminist things)
interior art by - Rotating Kenneth Rocafort, Russell Dauterman & Mark Brooks

> The New Gods
written by - Jason Aaron (banned from adding exterior political or feminist things)
interior art by - Olivier Coipel

>> Martian Manhunter
>written by - Hickman
>interior art by - Stuart Immonen & Jerome Opena
Scratch that.
Marco Checchetto & Opena.

Immonen on Wonder Woman.

Search "just imagine" here...
readcomiconline.to
They have them all.

Batman
Supes
Wondy
Aquaman
The Flash
Martian Manhunter
GL Corps

JL in second wave. Maybe Titans too

How about Donna Troy. Fuck Steve

I'm imagining the most famous members of the supporting cast of each hero is a given. Alfred and Gordon for Batman, Lois/Jimmy/Perry for Superman, Iris West for Flash, etc. Steve is gonna be in but in a decidedly non-costume fashion the way the examples mentioned do, same for Etta Candy and Queen Hippolyta.

I did consider Donna since Wonder Girl at least was both in the New Titans comics-wise and the WW 70s show when considering the pop culture side of things, but something about her just struck me that she hasn't really been *vital* to boiled-down versions of the DCU. Hell, she really never appeared in any stories with Wonder Woman when she was Wonder Girl, was she?

I'd go the Shooter way:
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Justice League
Teen Titans
Legion of Super-Heroes

As for creative teams? Uh... Remender and Opena on Batman, Hickman and Ribic on Legion, Waid and Samnee on Superman (as long as he doesn't do anything retarded like making Clark grow up in a city, sheesh), the Immonens on Wonder Woman, Loveness and Dauterman on Green Lantern, Ewing and Coipel on Justice League, Bendis and Ramos on Teen Titans

>Bendis and Ramos on Teen Titans

Eat shit

Hey, their only good run wasn't even called "Teen Titans", might as well keep it up. But seriously, I really do not care for the Teen fucking Titans

Honestly, Bendis would have a fucking field day with a teen team with no white characters in it (Damian is half brown and Raven is half demon so they don't really count as white). I can already see him shipping Raven with black Kid Flash.

Action Comics for super-senpai related stories
Detective Comics for Bat-senpai related stories
Justice League with Martian Manhunter, Flash, Wonder Woman, rotating list of other various heroes
Green Lantern Corps
Teen Titans
The Power of Shazam so Marvel Comics finally has a Captain Marvel book that's readable and will sell

Yeah, Warner was breathing down their necks to make things more profitable for movie adaptations. Basically pulling a line-wide "Inhumans".

The cosmic Captain Marvel books were fairly good before Carol "chugging slut" Danvers got forced into the role

It's funny how literally any other Captain Marvel would've been better for sales or a movie.

Yeah, I know that, but I mean in more recent years. Nobody knows what to do with Carol and she keeps getting mediocre writers.

superman gets space cancer and is replaced by Latoya Jones, a sassy super smart black girl who sexed clark in an issue and got his powers.

Batman starts killing and and becomes a supervillain. this was all a plot by a bad guy but it's ok because batman's true spirit is buried deep down inside him.

also green lantern gets replaced by a muslim...oh wait never mind.

>superman gets space cancer and is replaced by Latoya Jones, a sassy super smart black girl who sexed clark in an issue and got his powers.
This is literally the ending of All-Star Superman

-Dick will be confirmed gay.
-Harley and Ivy are officially a lesbian couple (not some elseworlds or whatif shit)
-Big Barda cheats on Mister Miracle because its empowering.
-Rocket (she's in DC, right?) gets her own running series where she's a sassy lesbian woman who just wants to finish college, and you must love her
-Static is now a black lives matter pastiche, instead of a superhero taking down both black and white gangs with crazy powers
-Another dumb rehashed Superman is evil plotline
-there's a new nerdy wonder girl and she's a muslim, and wears a scarf around her neck
-Wonder Woman is YAAS QUEEN of the Amazons

>-Rocket (she's in DC, right?)

You mean Icon's sidekick? No, she's Milestone, so DC uses her with permission.

You forgot
>-Ray Palmer and Will Magnus turn into genocidal assholes

>This is what Marvel readers dream at night

This is pretty stupid (which is saying something on a site like this one):

no business is going to give up IPs; irrespective of whether or not an IP owner only sold one seemingly less-profitable aspect of an IP, it's the core aspect.

You're essentially saying, Disney wants to buy Pixar but not the employees, their contracts, etc. We just want to be able to make direct to video releases of all those movies in perpetuity.

More clearly, selling off the base IP would allow someone to say make Batman an albino suffering from split personality in all the Batman comics while WB pretends that has no impact on Batman films, comics, toys, etc.

Oh shit nigger

I've never been so wet reading an entire issue of green lantern before

The story was weak though.

supermans mixtape though....Lex Luthor is a fat media producer

>RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE why is DC only promoting batman??? Why is the joker at the center?? Im sure the serial is to blame.

>>RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>This is pretty stupid
And yet it almost happened according to Jim Shooter. Fucking casual.

Except it was superman secundus....

bump

>Mark Waid
>Doing anything to change his vision of Supes

>Lex Luthor is a fat media producer

I'm pretty sure that part happened in a story in that Elseworlds 80-page special.

But we never saw "him" did we now?

>Warner Bros. decides their DC Comics line is no longer profitable

stopped reading there

jimshooter.com/2011/08/superman-first-marvel-issue.html/

Quit being a casual some day, love.

>Will Magnum backhands Platinum and it's his most iconic image for decades

A retelling of Death of Superman but Foggy Nelson becomes Doomsday and goes on a rampage and kills Superman. Foggy revives and feels guilty over the whole incident, even though eventually Superman came back to life. And then he and Matt Murdock have to figure out how to deal with lawsuits over Doomfog's rampage.

Why are DCocks so sensitive?