That which knows fear burns

That which knows fear burns

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heap_(comics)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How come all these old Marvel books have the narrator talking to the characters?

Hey stop bullying predators, they need that food.

This is literally Swamp Thing's origin.

This negligee is highly improper for the wife of a scientist.
I approve.

So if I just drop this guy into a meeting of Yellow Lanterns it turn into an orgy or a forest fire or what?

Man-Thing was published first, but they both seem to have been influenced by The Heap:
Hell, old Swampy first appeared in July 1971 (not Alec Holland), and Man-Thing in May 1971
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heap_(comics)

This is Marvel's best horror comic, and one of Gerber's 3 best works along with Howard the Duck and Foolkiller. Excellent work.

I like it, it's not a writing style you see anymore.It let's you get into the character's head without entering first person.

That's actually a good question

The guys that created the characters knew each other personally. Someone clearly stole one character from the other, but neither of them wants to admit it, so they both play dumb in interviews and say they have no idea how the characters are so similar. At least one of them is lying.

Reading this makes the new RL Stine mini feel that much more insulting to the character.

Maybe they were meant to be one in the same. Like Mxyzptlk and Impossible Man

So I take it that it's bad? Waiting for it to finish

Wikpedia cites an interview with Roy Thomas that apparently claims that Marvel thought about suing DC, but then realised that DC could argue that both characters were rip-offs of The Heap.
Alec Holland got an altered origin that was closer to Man-Thing's when he appeared a year later, but the original origin of Alex Olsen also involved the lab explosion.
Everyone did know each other though, and you are right, they will never admit who ripped off who (see also: Doom Patrol and X-men, though Doom Patrol was more of a rip off of Fantastic Four)

Once the Gerber run gets going it turns into one of the most amazing Marvel comics of the 70s.

It's so fucking bad you would not believe it. If you read it you WILL regret it.

Can you please storytime this one? It's my favourite Man-Thing comic, the last page is also very touching.

>image in a storytime

Pretty sure that's in the omnibus so it'll come eventually

Also

KAMANDI!?

It's awful. The little Goosebumps-esque horror stories at the end are pretty good, but the Man-Thing part is unbelievably bad.

Did Swampy's wife betray Alec the way Ellen did with Ted?

ELF WITH A GUN

Well, in this case it's because the protagonist can't even think much less talk.

>The little Goosebumps-esque horror stories at the end
They Marvel stories by Stein? They letting him go nuts?

Eh, he has to actually touch them, or at least touch their constructs.

They're just random short stories.