What is Sup Forums's honest opinion on him?

What is Sup Forums's honest opinion on him?

worst nolan

Most talented filmmaker working today. Plebs hate him because he makes smart accessible blockbusters.

A true auteur working undercover in Hollywood.

He is ok but nothing special.
He did give us the best meme movie ever so that's good.

overrated as fuck

Finally lived up to the hype with Dunkirk

makes blockbusters for normies who think they are too smart for blockbusters

this. and he can't write

I find the aesthetic of his movies really dull, like Fincher.

He mastered a fully business like, absolutely soulles filmmaking-style, his art is paradoxically removing anything resembling art from his movies

Was going to drop him but then saw Dunkirk.
His best film since Memento.

He's a cookie cutter director that's the film equivalent of an Instagram filter.

He makes dry pseudo-intellectual films that don't hold up under the most basic scrutiny but they're universally praised because of their pretentious ability to instill a feeling of superiority in audiences who "get them" when really it's just that the film is so intentionally lacking in detail that it's vagueness serves to validate even the most naive or spectator theories.

And he's still the best working director today

user, I

>He mastered a fully business like, absolutely soulles filmmaking-style
Reflects the Zeitgeist.
He is the epitome of art.

Nolan + Zimmer = migraine

Boring filmmaker.

Somehow turned the world of dreams into a boring action shitshow.

My favorite director

He's honestly the best mainstream director (I don't count Villeneuve since he's not popular), by mainstream I mean popular and make big budget movies.

Interstellar despite its fault is a masterpiece, Dunkirk is okay

/thread

>tfw you're movies are to smart for Sup Forums

Literally somehow gets worse with every film. Can't write or direct. Is arrogant and pretentious, treating his audience like idiots. Dunkirk was a glimmer of hope in the first 20 minutes, then you watched the rest and realised that while he'd finally learnt to show, not tell, he was still an appalling writer unable to direct or convey emotion.
He's very gifted at working with composers and cinematographers though, I'll admit that

>pic related is a real quote by him

cant write dialogue and cant direct good action, otherwise good director

He's ok but he's no Zack Snyder

Snyder has a hundred times more talent than Nolan in his pinkie finger alone

He's decent. I think he's moving in the right direction as a filmmaker with Dunkirk, which was a movie that mostly revolved around visual storytelling. Before Dunkirk, Nolan has broken the cardinal rule of filmmaking over and over again with his inability to show the audience what is happening. Rather, he just tells them through endless exposition. It exposes his limitations a bit. It makes a movie like Inception, which should be a film you can revisit, absolutely unwatchable on repeat when you realise it's just 2 hours of characters explaining the plot. For someone that likes action in his movies, he really struggles to direct it. His fight scenes are filled with the sloppiest editing around. I think this is something that's also improved in Dunkirk. He still approaches emotional scenes like he's a robot trying to understand humans. The end of Interstellar and the ending with George in Dunkirk are schmaltzy in a clumsy way. He's no auteur either; he's a blockbuster filmmaker, which is fine. I still like seeing all his stuff. He's one of the few guys in Hollywood that have the inclination (and money) to try and be original.

This
/thread

>Interstellar despite its fault is a masterpiece

U wot? Interstellar was a serviceable space movie that degenerated into a serviceable sci-if action film.

>serviceable
For who? It was fucking dogshit

insomnia was great, then everything wend down the shitter but he miraculously redeemed himself with the masterpiece that is dunkirk. tdk trilogy is an abomination, inception is one of the worst movies i have ever seen.

He's the god of the blockbuster film industry.

No matter what you think of the quality of his films, he makes every film out of passion/desire to make that film, not because some studio exec calculated what should be done.
I mean he even made an almost experimental (considering what is currently shat out from the industry) original british war film that no one asked for with basically no dialogue in 2017 that is not a remake/reboot/sequel/prequel with a full white male brit cast and STILL made mad box office money, how does he manage to do it is beyond me.

His artistic integrity is completely intact, it's like he gets blank checks from the studio everytime and does whatever he wants to do.

"smart"
This

>he makes every film out of passion/desire to make that film, not because some studio exec calculated what should be done.

Except TDKR.

His best work is Memento and the first two Batman films of which The Dark Knight is my favorite one, but he either went to shit because of everyone praising him or he just half assed most of his other work seeing how people blowed him left and right, which would explain Interstellar, The Dark Knight Returns and Inception. Dunkirk looked nice, but lacked spectacle and fleshed out characters, which is a huge fucking problem for a war film. Ville is better in every aspect and his work has actual subtlety and depth.