Greatest Showman Thread

Why is a film critic a job again? Obviously they have no relationship with audience views

Critics try to educate people and improve their taste. Not their fault the mass audience is stupid.

The trailers looked comfy as fuck but I haven't sene it yet desu.

>if you don't like the last jedi it's because you are uneducated, have bad taste, are stupid, and probably voted for DRUMPF

This, we should only watch soulless blockbusters like the 'critics' want it.

>Capeshit is good
>Award nominated films aren't

really makes me think

Would audience score for a musical that not many people watched in the first place, and only 1% or so bothered to leave a review of be any more trustworthy though? You're only going to bother if you really loved, or really hated it.

>doesn't know how rotten tomatoes works
>posts as if he knew how rotten tomatoes works

>doesn't know how rotten tomatoes works
You know I'm quite proud of that fact.

>i'm proud of making dumb comments that expose my ignorance and pride

kys

just a reminder that this is revisionist history and is a low point akin to birth of a nation

Movie critics as institution lost all credibility after TLJ fiasco happened. Any film student could make a list of fundamental drawbacks which prevent it from being even a mediocre movie, and I'm not talking about nerd BS like flying leia.

Surprised critics didn't lap this up, it's literally the Tumblr movie

Man I wish Nolans films had come out now with todays critics, specially inception/dark knight series they would have been SHAT upon

>Critics try to educate people

"Establishment film criticism is still literary. Film is a visual medium." -George Lucas

He was right

It gets a little in your face with its message, but the songs and choreography are really, really good. I took my mom to see it, and she really enjoyed it. It does a really good job of feeling more like a stage musical than a movie. At the end of one of the songs, she leaned over to me and said, "I nearly just stood up and applauded."

I think it helped to offset her disappointment in TLJ.

Based critics. The movie seems fucking awful.

Good for you, senpai

>It even has a decent IMDb score, unlike Bright.

Like Marlel and NuWars

Now's a good time to come out of the closet

BASED

Critics hate all musicals that aren't the Les Mis film, they hate all DC movies that aren't Nolan's movie or have a female lead, and will unironically give Thor 3 a higher score than something like All The Money in the World

If it doesn't push the boundaries of SJWism, (((critics))) hate it.

The film is unrionically meh though. Judging by sister's reaction, this film had a lot of Zac Effron and Zendaya fangirls that just want to see them sing again.

I'm with the critics this time. Should just put any other circus man instead of PT Barnum, you wouldn't see anything different. The songs are catchy pop songs, which is exactly why it's a shit musical. An enjoyable MTV specials with no soul.

Basically critics decide what THEY wanted out of the movie, and if it doesn't deliver its bad. Rarely do I see them actually reviewing the film on the merits of the film.

>I think Y would have been more iinteresting than X so X is bad

>audiences go to enjoy movies
>critics go to judge their worth
Are being serious now, OP? You don't have to agree with anything any critic says, but chalking this up to critics being out of touch is silly. Audiences are almost always more lenient on films. Exceptions: 1) weirdo art movies like mother! that have depressing subject matter and 2) movies like TLJ that get review bombed because people invested in Star Wars were alienated by that imbroglio of a plot.

Evaluating that worth often involves a frame of reference and speculation about how a movie could be improved. You literally can't talk about what a film did wrong without constructively applying what would be a "right" thing to do by comparison. Otherwise you're calling something bad with no real feedback. Like, I get what you're saying. Critics often evaluate things on their own biases and expectations and ignore what the movie was TRYING to achieve. But the problem isn't merely that they suggest ways to fix problems in movies. That's practically the definition of constructive criticism.

Is this movie any good? I saw advertisements for it when I saw murder on the Orient Express (which I thought was shit).