Why do people love this movie so much?

Why do people love this movie so much?

We litterally left the theater halfway through it. I cannot comprehend how the AFI named it one of the best movies of the year.

Maybe you can't comprehend it because you didn't see the movie

>leaving the theatre before the movie ends
Do people really do this?

tfw still not out in my country

>i don't like plot
>don't care about other things that make movie
>movie sucks
is that you? if so, plot is just optional thing and isn't technically required in a movie

maybe try explaining what was there to "comprehend" about that steaming pile of shit, ye?

In fact, not only the plot was bad, but so was the editing, the pacing, pretty much everything except maybe photo direction was horrible.

>horrible cuts and transitions through the movie

>bland, sappy and unlikeable protagonists (except maybe Zelda)

>ridiculously caricaturable "bad guy" (dislikes black people, requires silence from his wife when he fucks her dryly in the missionary position, etc.)

>Laughable dialogues ( "CAN YOU COUNT THESE STARS SON? THERES FIVE OF EM DURRR")

>unexplainable extra scenes far longer that they need to be ( "look how we're progressive, we're going to spend five whole minutes showing the storyteller flirting with some dude who sells pies for no apparent reason!")

>pacing weird as fuck

Most liked pleb film of the year

its the ultimate cuck movie for amerimutts
>root for the poor white girl to get blacked and escape the evil racist white man

Guillermo the most overrated hipster slash foreigner, not disgusting white male, he speaks exotic Spanish, therefore his movies are awesome.

fair enough

I felt this way about Pan's Labyrinth.

Came out around the same time as Children of Men and was far more hyped despite COM being an infinitely better film.

you are pleb

I kind of agree with you, but you should appreciate some of the things the movie did right: set design, makeup, the acting was fantastic and I guess that's about it bc I can't think of anything else.

Movie felt very overly dramatic and theatrical for me and in the end was a romance with characters that couldn't be together. Not what I signed up for.

Twas ok

This was literally the worst "film" I've ever seen. We saw people leave the second it was obvious there was going to be a sexual relationship.
Del Toro is fucking trash.
>gratuitous nudity
>pointless masturbation scene 30 seconds in
>pie guy is not only homophobic but must be show to be racist as well, for no reason
>wasting talent like Michael Shannon
>cliche villain
>predictable ending
He could've done so much more with the russian/cold war angle, the secret government lab, the amazon, and he took it and literally turned it into a movie about a woman fucking a fish

>esposito
>white

Yeah the purely esthetic side of the movie was ok, lighting, costumes, and so on, but I find it insufficient to qualify it oscar material.

you're an actual nerd

Great post! Have an upvote and some Reddit gold!

>analyzing films on a television and film board
huh how bout that

the narrator being revealed as gay is a pretty important scene. It's a turning point and cements a pretty big theme of the story (can't change who you love).

I do agree the bad guy was pretty badly written. Lazy is the word that comes to mind, like with a lot of stuff in the movie.

I agree. Not oscar material but then again the oscars are hack awards central so who cares

It's so funny that gigantic plebs think that liking Del Toro is a sign of having taste

The Shape of Water has been absolutely savaged by many good critics for being what it is: a laughably bad embarrassing rom com that wants to cash in with a cheap, simplistic message.

The only good thing about this movie were the scenes involving the russians

its objectively kino

you're objectively a pleb

If that's true then you're objectively a faggot

Kek