DUDE WHAT IF WE JUST SUBVERT EVERY EXPECTATION WITH EVERY CHARACTER ALL OF THE TIME LMAO

DUDE WHAT IF WE JUST SUBVERT EVERY EXPECTATION WITH EVERY CHARACTER ALL OF THE TIME LMAO

Look at that soft, weak, feminine face. I can't look at him without getting angry.

Yeah you subverted Disney's profit predictions too, what a magician

Except with Rey who remains the stronk invincible Mary Sue she was in TFA. I guess there are still things that are sacred to soy johnson

>People ask for TLJ to not play it as safe as TFA
>It doesn't
>Everyone complains

How the fuck did this soyboy get this position? He had no major hits. He wasn't a Star Wars fan. Was he rimming Kennedy or something?

P O T T E R Y

He's got an israeli producer, it might have played a role

He directed the most popular Breaking Bad episode, iirc. And Kathleen Kennedy thought this was enough to direct a space fairy tale because it's all just about the drama, amirite?

No shit. "Subverting expectations" can be delightful if done well. But to do it just to do it will alienate and insult an audience.

SOY
O
Y

FACKIN WEAK TWIST MATE

SHUD 'AVE MADE FACKIN' LOOK SK-OI-WALKAH A FACKIN CAL-CUE-LATE-AH

I keep hearing he made one of the best BB episode. to me it was one of the worst and simply didn't feel like a BR episode.

You can fuck up in different ways.
Furthermore, I suggest you to kill yourself.
Cut your arteries, jump in a fire or drown yourself feel very different but can all have the nice outcome of you stopping wasting oxygen.

There is a difference between playing it safe, taking a chance, and going full retard.

And I'm sure you know what never to do.

The movie ends on Hoth with Kylo going back to being cartoonishly evil and Luke pulling an Obi-Wan, what the fuck do you mean it didn't play it safe?

>TFA’s plot is just a rehash of ANH with some new characters who are a little flat
>”Disney please make the characters better and go risky with the plot”
>TLJ is just a rehash of ESB but all the characters are now ruined
Nice job, Disney

This. The biggest problem with TLJ was that it didn't take enough risks

You can subvert characters or plot hooks but you can't get sway with subverting genre without alienating the core fanbase. That's what happened here.
Example: You could have made Luke renounce his Jedi powers and make him leader of the new Senate. Thus he would be wise old king instead of wizard/warrior/monk, but he'd still be a recognizable archetype within the fairy tale genre.

That's why I chose the term popular, not best.

Did it really?

It just took major elements from 3, 5, and 6 and stuck a mean spirited streak of nihilism through them.

I don't think anyone meant he should have wrote the script in four hours while drunk

i looked manlier than this guy when i was 13yo

>let's do the extreme polar opposite of playing safe, everyone will love it!

I do't know, turning Luke into Jake, a disgusting, milk-slobbering geezer, seems a pretty bold move to me. Also a completely idiotic move.

INT. PLAGUEIS' THRONE ROOM

PLAGUEIS
Use your aggressive feelings, girl.

Angered, Rey unsheathes her Lightsaber and hits the switch. The blade extends downwards as she realises she's holding it the wrong way, subverting the audience's expectations and making them laugh.

that guy in school who you were friends with, you used them and who you 'liked' them but you didnt respect them and would drop them in a heartbeat if the bully pickd on them

It's almost as if the quality of a movie depends on more than one factor.

QUICK DO YOUR BEST IMPRESSION OF A SOYWARS WRITER

>tell my wife I'm gonna raise my kid to be a better man than myself
>backdoor feed him drugs, alcohol and have him in relationship with broken women
SUBVERTED

>my parents have their faith in me being able to have a fulfilling happy life
>I'm a depressed jobless retard
EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED