Alan Moore

>"Enlightened" character laments that nothing ever ends
>Proceeds to throw a shitfit because his comic didn't end

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/alan-moore-elaborates-his-stance-on-before-watchmen/
comiccreatorsuk.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/comic-highlights-v-for-vendetta/
curiousbookfans.co.uk/2010/comics/1448/v-for-vendetta
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That Guy indirectly influenced a huge amount of things.
Just for this he deserves respect.

You forgot
>looks like a Warlock
>can be used as character art for most /tg/ related games.

Most of those things ended up being negative influences though. He'll be the first to admit it at that.

The more I read what he writes, the more I agree with him. He clearly doesn't like the fact that these companies have to resort to milk his work instead of finding writters who can cause the same impact as him.

>resort to milk his work
you mean most of moore's entire work?

>OP
>dipshit faggot doesn't understand context
>proceeds to start thread under delusion he can have adult discussions

>He clearly doesn't like the fact that these companies have to resort to milk his work

You mean like what he does with other creator's work, other companies characters, or just established characters from mythology or legend?

Son of a bitch. Now I want to see Alan Moore and James Randi as the teachers in some kind of wizard school...

yeah I'm sure watchmen was entirely on the same level of plagiarism as before watchmen

I wonder how many people have used him as a reference, or just straight up used his mugshot as a character portrait

He influenced it negatively so he deserves hatred.

strawman argument. Moore has yet to do anything equivalent to Before Watchmen.

Why always forgetting the good?

Cant we ever just talk about stuff we like from alan moore, dude may be an asshole but he wrote alot of my favorite comics.
Top 10 needs a 3rd book or an hbo miniseries, but I guess I'll never be happy.

Well it wasn't like he created an alternate earth for a publisher with a history of incorperating such things into its shared unverse- or anything.

The only thing that matters for me is that he tried to kill Superman. It was more respectful when he literally died than what Moore did to him.

...hold on, when was this?

You didn't know? Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was written by Moore. It was horrible!

So did DKR but everyone gives that a pass.

>Moore is at fault because a bunch of writters are hacks.

speak for yourself. I always rag on DKR when I find a fuck to give about it

No he basically did "After Charlton", "After Miracle Man", and "After all public domain characters."

I don't either. But it isn't as bad because it had some decent Bruce moments and Gordon moments.

Watchmen would have been the worst story of all time if he didn't get saved by executives.

At least he's doing what he loves now: writing Lovecraft fanfiction and ranting about the cinema industry.
Cinema Purgatorio is really great, but I'm starting to get tired of the "muh decadent media" shit on the epilogues.

but he doesn't even die in that and it's set in some vague future

what the fuck man

>Proceeds to throw a shitfit because his comic didn't end
He has made no comments about them continuing Watchmen. Nice try failure.

Most of his 80s output would have been terrible, including his pitch for Twilight of the Superheroes which he used to claim was used as a basis for Kingdom Come.. When it was really "What if all superheroes were sexual deviants and the future sucked?"

cbr.com/alan-moore-elaborates-his-stance-on-before-watchmen/

Bullshit.

It seems a bit desperate to go after a book famous for its artistic integrity,” Moore told Fast Company. “It’s a finite series. ‘Watchmen’ was said to actually provide an alternative to the superhero story as an endless soap opera. To turn that into just another superhero comic that goes on forever demonstrates exactly why I feel the way I do about the comics industry. It’s mostly about franchises. Comic shops these days barely sell comics. It’s mostly spin-offs and toys."

>It's a Johnsfags defends Geoff "the racoon" Johns so much that they attack Moore with pretty stupid strawmen arguments.

>resorting to defending Before Watchmen
I see I have won this argument. It was short and swiftly won.

>Most of his 80s output would have been terrible

>johnsfags really believe this

It's far worse because it uses arguably thje most popular character in comics instead of pastiches of fairly obscure characters.

Yeah, fuck Vertigo. Those comics really brought the American comic book industry down!

>>johnsfags really believe this
not a Johnsfag but name one story that wasn't saved by the editors or that was made better by saying "Why not do this instead?" Even Miracle Man is fucking predictable myth yanking with grimdarkness added in. He won't admit it but he's just as a guilty as everything.

Not defending before Watchmen, it should have if anything been a full on PaxAm series but that was still in development. It wasn't needed and it was boring but in the end it was done and Moore said something about it. He thinks before stories are pointless yet wrote a series that essentially has a "This is what James Bond's grandparents were doing" story in it. Sorry, but Moore is terrible; Johns is terrible, and bad comics are just bad comics.

>name one story that wasn't saved by the editors or that was made better by saying "Why not do this instead?"
One Moore story you mean? What about V for Vendetta?

>V for Vendetta
Yes because it would have been much better had DC Thomson decided the original pitch sucked with V being a straight transsexual terrorist and the story being a terrorist swashbuckler adventure in the style of Night Raven or Lupid comics...

>name one story that wasn't saved by the editors or that was made better by saying "Why not do this instead?"
how is someone going to fucking compare a work that didn't actually get made with one that did? maybe you have some insider source about the creation process and feel that enables you to speculate but I just read the things.

even if he did somehow require editors to fix his work that wouldn't make him a bad writer. everything you've said is fucking retarded.

Love Moore's books, but he does need an editor to rein him in. A third of Jerusalem was Alan being too obtuse and experimental that it distracted from the actual novel.

Why is Moore such an edgy fuck?

>Superman's powers are gone
>Clark Kent persona dies
>most of his friends are dead
A fate worse than death.

That wasn't V for Vendetta you mong, it was a different comic. Many years later, some of those unused ideas evolved into V for Vendetta.
Are you so butthurt by what Moore says that you're resorting to twisting the facts so you can take away the credit for anything he's done?

yes someone please shoot me before I retire

>even if he did somehow require editors to fix his work that wouldn't make him a bad writer. everything you've said is fucking retarded.

The idea that bad stories in general even given the writer who has some good stories when properly guided by an editor or told to reign shit in is now somehow retarded.

What story that didn't get made did I mention? V for Vendetta is a perfect example that has a documented history where the original was a straight Night Raven rip off but with a transgender terrorist as the lead.. It wasn't until Dez suggested Thatcherism that it took the full political motive and DC saying a transgender V would be fucking stupid and it should be changed to something a bit less quirky for the sake of quirk; for all we know V is anything under the mask and the mystery of the identity helps add to the story.. Would the story be that much better if it was just a body count book featuring Hedwig and the Angry Inch blowing shit up?

Before Moore himself said in "Behind the Painted Smile" the script for V was originally the script for "The Doll" that constantly evolved as input from Lloyd and Dez came in.. It's not a distortion of fact it's the fact that the original story outline sucked...

Moore has explained his position on several interviews. He doesn't mind that they use Rorschach or John Constantine or whatever, since he really doesn't own the characters. He is mad that DC keeps revisiting ideas he already wrote instead of making up new ones; having their "top tier talent" making shitty Watchmen prequels instead of maybe letting them do their own Watchmen (i.e. their own finite story of their choosing).

Watchmen is a touchy point becaue Moore thinks DC swindled him with that one. Offered him a then breakthrough deal promising the rights would become his and Dave's when the book went out of print, then DC simply never stopped printing it, and labeled a lot of merc as promo items so neither Moore or Gibbons got any royalties. So it's more like a guy bitching about a slutty ex than any objective insight in how the industry works.

Wow that sounds retarded.

Seriously? Go ahead and defend that plot. I'm curious as to how anyone could like that idea.

>milk his work

When you write a story for Green Lantern, a character you don't own that has decades of history before you get there, guess what, your story becomes a PART of that history and future Green Lantern stories are going reference that the same way you referenced past ones.

You don't get to be a salty bitch about that. It's what "continuity" fucking is.

>What story that didn't get made did I mention?
obviously I meant the versions of things you think he "was going to make before someone told him to do it better." we can't read those things to confirm that they really would have been terrible. all we have is the things that actually got made that aren't terrible.

I wouldn't even believe having to explain something this obvious to anyone else but I guess you're just pretty damn retarded.

>instead of maybe letting them do their own Watchmen (i.e. their own finite story of their choosing).

Vertigo was a thing and the guys on Young Animal seem to have free reign

>. It wasn't until Dez suggested Thatcherism that it took the full political motive and DC saying a transgender V would be fucking stupid and it should be changed to something a bit less quirky for the sake of quirk;
You realize that's not what happened, right?
The whole transgender thing was for a different comic that Moore pitched about 10 years before V for Vendetta was a thing. And that "DC Thomson" is a publishing company that downright rejected that story, not some editor that suggested any changes to Moore?
It's also the first time I hear about Dez actually telling Moore to write about the political context of the time.

At least Alan Moore is willing to admit he was wrong and his work, while highly influential, had a negative affect on contemporary comics.

Moore is also a sweet old man who just wants to talk. Much respect to Alan Moore.

So true. Alan Moore is forever...

...and that kind of scares me.

None of what you're saying is true. All Dez contributed was the title. That's literally it. And when Len Wein was Moore's editor at DC he did even less.

comiccreatorsuk.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/comic-highlights-v-for-vendetta/

"Needless to say, the pulp comic strip set in the thirties was soon left behind. In their struggle to come up with a good story line that would have the type of exoticism and familiarity identified as characteristic of the near past , Alan suggested that they could achieve the same results in a setting of a near future. Dez and David liked the idea and so they moved on trying to figure out what the main character was going to look like and how the main story was going to be."

curiousbookfans.co.uk/2010/comics/1448/v-for-vendetta

"Within the graphic novel you also get ‘Behind the Painted Smile’ – an article that first appeared in Warrior Magazine in 1983 when V For Vendetta was a ‘work in progress’. This article is an interesting look at the origins of the story and, in addition to other pieces of information, we learn that Moore originally started off with an idea for a transsexual anarchist terrorist called The Doll!"

His issue has always been more with watchmen when it comes to milking his work. his issue with capes is that they are an eternal indolent clusterfuck. He's not wrong about that.cape comics are a fucking cancer that comics will never leave from it's why the medium is being held back.

Don't worry, this guy doesn't seem to take in account the "process" part of "creative process". He seems to think all ideas have to come from nowhere and be born as they end up, unchanged, or they aren't really the guy's creation.

>not a Johnsfag but name one story that wasn't saved by the editors or that was made better by saying "Why not do this instead?"
You mean besides all his ABC stuff where he didn't even have a fucking editor you idiot?

He did complain about Blackest Night being derivative of his work, even though it shared nothing but the name

If you actually read "behind the painted smile", Moore says his proposal for The Doll was written when he was only 22 years old (circa 1975), submitted to a scriptwriting contest, and lost.

In 1980 he and David Lloyd decided to work on something together. Moore wanted to do a gangster story, but Lloyd was sick of drawing 30s era stuff. Moore recalled his old idea for The Doll and mentioned it to Lloyd, and they decided that maybe something distopian set in the near future should be the way to go. Then they started thinking of the new story.

Kristy Quinn and Scott Dunbier

>He's not wrong about that.cape comics are a fucking cancer that comics will never leave from it's why the medium is being held back.

I used to believe this years ago. I think it's just a crock of shit now mainly because the people complaining about superheroes squander other opportunities in favor of complaining about a repetitive genre.

Who did nothing but answer the letters pages because part of Moore's contract was zero interference from editorial.

By the way, Moore is one of the few exceptions to what I said since he not only actually walks the walk but he's also participated in some other things like that Electricomics thing.

When I say that I mean floppies are trash and they hold the medium back. The big 2 are shit and creative bankrupt especially marvel dc isn't much better.

> Alan suggested that they could achieve the same results in a setting of a near future. Dez and David liked the idea and so they moved on

How is that "Dez telling him to write about Thatcher"?

And besides all this bullshit you're trying to pull, Moore is quite outspoken when it comes to the input of both editors and artists. Just read what he has to say about Alan Grant, for instance.

The curse of Superman will make him remembered as a villain.

Op here, tom strong and promethea are my shit

I loved Tom Strong and Promethea.

Oh come one user, he is a bit of a grump right now because of some dirty dealings back in the past and his influence is now more negative than positive but give credit where its due.
If he wants something he had a big influence on to stay dead then it should probably be respected

Yeah fuck the guy for being so good that nobody can write comics without a hint of his influence

I mean, I do get his point that Harry Potter is selling itself as a "modern take of magical schools" while deliberately (and conveniently) ignoring very real aspects of modern education such as school shootings. But, as many people have already said in this thread, he needs a good editor to polish all his unnecessarily edgy stuff such as this. The point gets lost and the premise becomes laughable.

>ignoring very real aspects of modern education such as school shootings.
Hogwarts is in Britain, not America. School shootings are nigh unheard of in the rest of the world.

>the entirety of Century 2009 is a commentary on American culture
>"b-but user, Hogwarts is British"

Did you even read the thing?

It would have been better if he focused more on his "Kids read no other books except for Harry Potter, and that sucks" point. Saying that the books are somehow intertwined with school shootings was retarded and sounded like those old people blaming school violence on video games and metal music.

If I were on his level and could make stories like that and all anyone wanted to do was cheat me out of my IP and use my ideas for artistically bankrupt sequels for years, I would be jaded too.

Moore, Miller and Millar are the best writers ever

>A whole page of Moore ranting about how awful STARDUST THE SUPER WIZARD was

That was really petty.

what is the single best issue Moore has written and why is it Majestic: The Big Chill

The entirety of 2009 was Moore going "Modern culture and modern fiction fucking suck even though I clearly know nothing about it. Things were better back in my day. I bet poor people 100 years ago were better off than poor people today."

Sup Forums does the same, with its 1000 layers of irony and the panel can be seem as our "hahaha you care about things" mentality.

>"Kids read no other books except for Harry Potter, and that sucks" point.
This point is a load of shit. Kids who read books get into it because of things like Harry Potter.

Because Frank Miller is still on good relationships with DC

a small killing is the best thing I've read of his
most of ABC by him is god tier in my eyes
why didn't tom strong ever get absolute editions like everything else of his

>He is mad that DC keeps revisiting ideas he already wrote instead of making up new ones

He's full of shit. He heard "something something Blackest Night prophecy" and started crying about DC copying him without even knowing what the story was about.

You came up with the origin behind Abin Sur's death, motherfucker. WHAT A SURPRISE that another author would ever reference it.

I fucking hate Orlando.