What's Blacksad missing Sup Forums?

What's Blacksad missing Sup Forums?

Nothing at that distance.

what

Cold blood

He's at point blank range. He isn't missing any shot he takes. That's the joke.

Not being an anthropomorphic animal.

Good mysteries.

Skub.

oh lol, i geddit

Is that a turtle? If so, cool

How about Lt. Fox Sup Forums? What did he say?

Is Blacksad good?

Sup Forums has a weird relationship with furry content, so I never quite figured out if anybody actually likes it.

first story/issue is the stock pulp/film noir story, done well enough, hits all the cliches

now that that proof of concept issue is done im game to see where they go with this

also the art is good

t. not a furry

It's pretty good noir. Artic Nation and Hell is That Noise are the best two stories.

Is the toad guy purposefully modeled after Trump or is it just a coincidence?

Half the pages to make any of the stories not feel like a rushed mess

the fuck is this

It's 2017, everything is modeled after Trump if you're Reddit enough

OH fuck off, I read a bunch of issues from this series. In that story, the story depicts both classic sides of Racism (White Supremacy and Black Supremacy) as fuckin' retarded. There's a scene where a bunch of black miliatants try to recruit him at a store and the leader walks up trying to paint over his white muzzle with some sort of black paint; he responds by pulling a gun on him and says something akin to "smear the beauty mark, and I'll shoot your right where you stand".

Waifus. Attractive ones. The huge red lips just don't look right on the women in Blacksad.

you're the one saying it

my updated impression is that the writing is terrible, the art pretty good but mostly just excels at drawing background art and action

also this maybe if i was a furry id enjoy it more

Scene I'm referring to.

What makes it terrible opposed to just good?

>What makes it terrible opposed to just good?
big difference between those

the plots are cliche and stuff i've seen a thousand times, and when they aren't its just dumb like the nazi stuff

only read 100 pages/2 issues but i dont care to continue

The writing isn't terrible, just uninteresting outside Arctic Nation and Amarillo. It lacks a certain execution only American and UK comic authors pull off.

Rereading the white supremacist story is incredibly relevant in this day and age. There's a little side story with some destructive black animals and Blacksad has to put them in their place because they're making his job harder. It also has a wonderful scene where someone basically calls Blacksad a nigger and he points to white muzzle and says "This isn't enough?" And then there's the wonderful scene with the rich tiger's retarded son and Blacksad is like "A little race mixing is healthy" while dirtying the dude's white shirt.

Fuck, someone story time this shit.

He's a smug asshole businessman with an army of yesmen who gets away with murder and is untouchable because of his fabulous wealth. Insert that into real life people as you will.

a general lack of tails

Blacksad don't take shit from nobody but at the end of the day he's a literal black panther and fucks up whiteys.

He's a black cat, Mr. Magoo.

>the plots are cliche and stuff i've seen a thousand times, and when they aren't its just dumb like the nazi stuff

Lol too real for you?

>Reach for the gun in his pants
Well done, my son.

There's a grittiness to Blacksad that few comics touch, especially when it comes to portraying animals as humanlike beings.

Can you give me an example of a comic that you feel is middle of the road writing wise. Something you would consider hits all the marks to be a good story and excels at nothing?

Not that guy, but The Hell, The Silence; From the Shadows; and the third volume.

A new volume.

Oh man, I love that scene. That little detail to prevent Blacksad's pursuing hitiman from just being a generic danger.

/thread

Wikipedia says that new volumes are out, but the English translations haven't even gotten a release date yet.

Trump wasn't this turtle-looking when this first came out in 2000.

It says they were supposed to be released in 2016. No word on if they actually were.

Sorry I was asking that guy specifically because what is terrible in his opinion is pretty middle of the road for me. If what he thinks is just good is great by my standards then I was going to inquire what he'd qualify as a great story. Either that or what he qualifies as good isn't really any better than Blacksad and I'd suggest that he might be being a contrarian.

>What's Blacksad missing Sup Forums?
New books.

It's kind of confusing; in the first book it's the difference between mammals and reptiles what's supposed to be the parallel for white and black people; but in the second book it IS about white and black colored animals, and not only furry ones either

>Vote Republican in the lower right
Kek, you can tell Europeans made this.

A mentally-challenged scapegoat for a small-time racketeering conspiracy gets publicly executed by crucifixion in Usagi Yojimbo, bro; can't get any grittier than that

>Can you give me an example of a comic that you feel is middle of the road writing wise. Something you would consider hits all the marks to be a good story and excels at nothing?
batgirl was this for me, the original run with cass cain

had interesting premise to the character that drew me to read it, similar to black sad with the animals + noir, but at least in the first issues before it went on to be generic capeshit it was really interesting and had plots that really took advantage of cass not being able to communicate with other people

right around the time they deus ex machina'd her some talking ability is when it ceased to be interesting to me, this when she "forgot how to read body language and forgot how to fight" because of it, such bullshit and an asspull im still butthurt

t. original guy

>usagi
comfy

Grit's about more than just a handful of pretty fucked up events. It's about a consistent tone, as embodied by that image you're replying to. It's about groups of men in smokey rooms, casual dress being being buttoned collared shirts and suspenders. Everyone in a room looking at a guy. A kind of tension in the air and the setting. Blacksad has a lot of these sorts of things just running in the background of its stories. Working men just getting by in a world that's not really anything but cold world of flaws. It's noir.

Usagi Yojimbo had some real shit, don't get me wrong. But whereas Blacksad is noir grit, Usagi Yojimbo is bushido tragedy. Pretty much every character suffers from a combination of circumstance and propriety. Doing the proper thing even in the face of cruel adversity. Usagi himself is defined by loyalty to a lord who's dead, love to a woman who married someone else, a son he can never acknowledge because of the rift it would draw with the man who raised the boy from a child. We see more of it with Usaji, but most stories have some variation of tragedy in their characters.

But the tone of it isn't really gritty. It's more mournful, kind of classier in a way. Bad things happen and people move on, because that's karma, ne? Grit's about the seediness of a life, an omnipresent kind of shitshow that has no real class or Buddhist meaning. Just people living in an imperfect world. A kind of affected realism to make a story seem more real by focusing on the moral failings of people trying to make it and the imperfection of the human endeavor.

Fair enough. Haven't read it myself but that does sound like it could've been nice

there is no "could've", i got like 20 issues in which is a sizeable number

would recommend reading them

well I thought the joke was clever, user.

An actual scenario.

>Foreigner detected
It's script.

Touché.

was he in the wrong?

Well we can't also forget he also organized the kidnapping and accepted murder of a child, then also made the murder on the child's mother, then fucked his superior's wife and had HIM murdered.

Dude was a smarmy cunt

good joke. gets my seal of approval.