History of Narrative Film

I'm somewhat into movies (my favorites are Synecdoche, NY, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Werckmeister Harmonies and Un homme qui dort, don't mind my artsy tendencies), but haven't been that invested in watching and studying them carefully. How does one learn this properly in a course of few months? Has anyone read this particular one and has opinions to share?

Other urls found in this thread:

davidbordwell.net/blog/2009/09/22/is-there-a-blog-in-this-class-2009/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>discussing films
>on Sup Forums

Liking Tarr's films is surefire pleb bait. So is Synecdoche, which Ebert tried desperately to champion into a good film but which nobody fell for. Pathetic to call yourself "artsy" thinking those are even remotely avant garde films.

>Sup Forums - Television & Film

I always thought the term "artsy" had a pejorative undertone, I used it in auto-irony. But sure, let's measure dicks.

You should read Jim Hoberman's books, even though he would despise someone like you, if you want to genuinely get into "art" cinema. Otherwise you're better off just getting a reader that includes stuff like Eisenstein, Barthes, Benjamin etc. It really depends what exactly you want to "learn."

The thing is, the Cook book is a required reading for a school I'm trying to get into, but thanks for the recommendation, nonetheless.

Which school? Undergrad or postgrad?

He’s saying that all we discuss here is flicks, memes and waifus.

How To Read a Film by James Monaco is the perfect beginners launch pad into film in general.
What is Cinema by Bazin for straight theory
Filmmakers Handbook for the process of making film
Eisenstein's the Film Sense and Film Form
And then final boss for intro to film would be Cinema by Delueze

check out David Bordwell's blog and his books

davidbordwell.net/blog/2009/09/22/is-there-a-blog-in-this-class-2009/

These are good recs aside from Cinema I & II, because honestly he'll read those at school so why bother trying to penetrate the nonsense that is crystal image and shit.

Fuck Bordwell. If you're doing an undergrad degree you'll read his books anyway in 101.

>I'm desperately trying to sound cool
>what should I read to sound even cooler in a few months
How to kill self txt

Undergrad.

I've actually read some of the essays from Bazin's book and found it quite interesting, although incomprehensible at times due to unfamiliarity
with the mentioned movies.

Then watch the films. A great thing about reading about film are all the recs you get.

Which school bitch

Bazin is a pleb, read PudovKINO

dziga vertov and cahiers du cinema will keep you entertained, you crave entertainment

I think it comes pretty naturally if you just keep watching movies. If you really care though, you should always write a few hundred words after any movie you watch. If you can't think of a few hundred words about even literally the shittiest, most waste-of-time movie then you aren't thinking enough while you watch.

Justwatch some neorealism italian movie like sciusciá or vacanze romane, maybe some desica shit, and you are ready to go

Kuleshov > vertov

french impressionism>soviet montage

>don't mind my artsy tendencies

Best way to learn is to write

Italian neorealism >>>> every french bullshitever

>Italian neorealism >>>> every french bullshitever

French here, reporting in : totally agree

OP is gonna be the kid that has to hear his voice every lecture and then when introducing himself at the tutorial mentions that his favorite film is Werckmeister Harmonies and everyone is gonna laugh at him.

Why is everyone so condescending towards Tarr and Werckmeister Harmonies? I'm legitimately interested.

Still better than the average mindless marvel millenial bot though. And he's lurking on Sup Forums, maybe he won't become a leftist degenerate. There's still hope.

plebs gonna pleb. These are probably the people who like BR2049

Italian here. Adore your movies but I will always love how french critics mistook Rossellinis total lack of professionality in moviemaking as some kind of artistic choice

Good film

Literally all his film professors are going to be hard Leftists, and mostly Marxists, and a majority of the literature is taught as Marxist critique.

Leftism =! SJW Hollywood, you retard. Any good school is vehemently Leftist.

Ignore them, it's a great film and Tarr is a great filmmaker. He's just somewhat well-known and about as mainstream as art cinema gets. Plus WH is from 2000 and there will always be a bias against recent films

I studied under Tarr and he's an egotistical retard. Once you meet the guy you understand how shit his films are. Muh mise en abyme, muh leviathan.

>If other people enjoy it, it is bad.

What an ungrateful dude

you went to SFA?

Just watch October, by ejzenstein. Everything else is gay

Bump, only slightly interesting post on Sup Forums just because we have a Tarr scholar in here

It's not that I'm not grateful, it's just that like a lot of old accomplished men, he thinks he owns the world.

in interviews he seems like the complete opposite, very humble and matter of fact when the interviewer is particularly ass kissing. maybe you interpret him being hard on his students as being haughty or maybe he's a completely different person in private. You have any anecdotes to support your statement?

bump

This, he seems like the person who would make the kind of movies he does