What's the most overused/annoying reference in cartoons?

What's the most overused/annoying reference in cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5xSr5sybPHs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

anime references

Anime references in general
Also zombie-themed horrors

Classic rock character

Using any at all.

There's objectively no reason to use a pop culture reference except as a proxy for actual comedy writing

I'd wager fantastic voyage, because writers make the plot around it

Star Wars for the overuse

>WAAAAAA PEOPLE USE POPULAR REFERENCES OF GOOD WORKS!!!!

Let me guess 99% of your webcomic project's content

Arnold Schwarzenegger parodies

Black people.

You posted it imo. There's usually no point to it except not having to write a mafia boss that would be interesting in his own way, especially considering most little kids havent fucking watched the movie you're referencing in the first place. Might aswell just be plagiarism at this point.

On that note pic related.

>writers ''''''reference / pay homage'''''' to popular thing
>they actually just stole the script and replaced the characters with their own bc they couldn't think of anything that week

Damnit

The first few seasons of Community were really good with it - the claymation episode, the Beetlejuice running gag, etc. Hell, the GI Joe episode was pretty good and that was late-seasons.

Animaniacs was all about lampooning classic Hollywood. The writing was still smart enough to make it work though. As a kid, I didn't need to understand the references to think it was funny, but as an adult, it's nice to go back and catch all the jokes that flew over my head when I was little.

Are you telling me you liked fucking Goodfeathers as a kid?
Pinky and the Brain and Good Idea/Bad Idea were GOAT, Warner siblings were solid, the rest ranged from mediocre to utter shit.

High concept/Parody episodes utterly ruined that show; they're not individually bad most of the time, but without a counterpoint of regular writing to create a focused anchor for the audience, the show became a tedious, exhausting marathon of oneupmanship with itself.

Rick and Morty was kind of that way from the get go actually.

For annoying? Memes.

IMO, what ruined the show was Harmon's undying attempts to shit on Season 4. It ended up with the show being even worse than season 4

VG references make me cringe because of how inaccurate they are

This. Fantastic Voyage is common but everybody does it different, while fucking Star Wars jokes are always the same.

Whenever I hear "do you feel lucky, punk" or "say what again" referenced it just really aggravates me. It's been done to death so much that I just groan when I hear them.

Exactly what I came here to say.

While I wouldn't call it the most overused by any stretch of the imagination, I always cringe whenever I see a Matrix reference.

The last Gumball episode I ever watched was that one with the Taken phone call reference.

It's a great show and I liked it, but I'm just too afraid they may do another awkward, mistimed, depressingly lazy joke like that one and I'll actually begin hating it. I thought I'd rather quit while I was ahead

This or It's A Wonderful Life.

Dont you think you might be overreacting a bit? I swear you cant show the slightest appreciation or criticism for anything in this board without being accused of shilling, whining or autism.

While I enjoy Gumball a lot I dont think the later seasons are going to age too well. They rely too much on references

I do enjoy that wonderful life is so overused even parodying parodies of it by showing everyone's lives being better instead of worse off is also overused.

The Godfather references are not overused, you clearly never watched that movie to says this.

>you cant show the slightest appreciation or criticism for anything in this board without being accused of shilling, whining or autism.
Probably because far more often than not, they're right.

I think he specifically means modelling your mafia boss after Vito Corleone.

but mafia boss modeling is more common about Al Capone than Vito Corleone.

He's just a mob boss. The Godfather didn't invent the mafia you fucking autist.

Wilhelm scream.

>They reference anime
>It's Speed Racer or Sailor Moon

> Brandoesque Godfather character archetype
> Daughter's wedding day
> Horse head on bed thing
> "An offer he can't refuse"
> Tons of execution/fight/head hit scenes

It's not only the first one; everything about those movies is referenced to death almost as much as Star Wars.

> I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'll talk about it anyway in a semi automatic contrarian role: the board

Are you sure? In cartoons?
It really doesn't feel that way.

His voice actor does a fucking Brando impression.

we are talking about cartoons, have you seen the horse head in bed so many times?
also for saying stuff like
> Tons of execution/fight/head hit scenes
you clearly never watched that movie.

the only thing accurate is the Vito Corleone archetype here, but it's funny because that character in his older version doesn't appears that much on the movie.

A lot of cartoons mafia bosses are often fat dudes with big lips like pic related.
modeled after Capone.

That hasn't showed up since the 70s dude, exept maybe in Animaniacs.

I was a Wikipedia scouring pop-culture sponge when I was 10 (and got into MST3K a year later) so I liked and (mostly) understood Animaniacs' references
But I imagine most other kids would find a lot more confusing

except that hasn't been true in ages

>I always cringe whenever I see a Matrix reference.
I always went giddy as a kid if I spotted those.
The 00's Fairly Odd Parents staff were huge Matrix junkies, I always saw an allusion or reference 3 or 4 times per season in that show, pretty sure Wishology had a whole segment that parodied the Smith/Trinity rooftop chase.

Golden Age Simpsons alone reference the horse head thing twice. They did the tollbooth execution a couple of times too, and the one with James Caan beating his brother in law in the street as well (but that one was already an obvious Family Guy foolproof shot for shot reference). Most of the rest are generic enough mafia-type hits (restaurant ambushes, general tommygun shootings, kiss of death shenanigans) so it's fair not considering them direct references

Yeah same here, especially since they'd always be accompanied with that action techno soundtrack that you know they were going for but failed in an off putting way. There is action, there is THAT music, there is dark clothing. That's all there is to it right? You get it, right kids? It's like references to spaghetti westerns in some cartoons: it doesn't matter which one, it's a genre. Matrix references often feel like a reference to a genre rather than a movie and that's lazy.

I think Proud Family did it the worst.

Goodfeathers was great
I loved Mindy and buttoms too

Wait no, The Simpsons used vague "matrix music" in a scene where Bart was a Chinese food ad guy, sticking ads on doors. There was no need for it.

Correct answer. I roll my eyes now whenever a show references Star Wars.

I was cringing when I was like 8 and PB&J Otter had one that was just someone telling someone to not "use the force" but something kind of like that, but they said that in a voice that sounded like Darth Vader. It's not even his quote.

Vader is used to be misquoted at this point.

>Not liking Goodfeathers

I didn't know you liked cock so much, user.

No, I don't like Chicken Boo either.

Homer on your pic is Don Fanucci on The Godfather 2, still a godfather reference but not vito corleone.

I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW DARTH VAAAADER
I KNOW WHAT THAT IS

Very true.

have you rewatched animaniacs recently because it does not hold up

SSSTAAAAAAARR DESTROYEEEERRRSSSSS

IIIII'M GONNA CUUUUUUUMMMM

I though the Dexter Speed Racer episode was pretty funny. Watched it in Swedish though so that might ad an element of comedy to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=5xSr5sybPHs This was the only Godfather reference that I've ever liked

I enjoyed the street fighter/tekken episode of GF

>modeled after Capone.
Edward G. Robinson, actually.

No. I am your father.

A-TEE-ESS-TEES A-TEE-ESS-TEES A-TEE-ESS-TEES

When I watched Goodfellas for the first time all I could think was how dead-on the Ray Liotta impression in Goodfeathers was.

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND

All of Star Wars: Rogue One