This movie is dumb

This movie is dumb.

Jus turn off your language bro

That scene was something else in the theater.
One of the best executed first contact scenes in cinema history, Villeneuve knows tension

no its not its cool

agree, i unironically think this movie is a freaking mess

It was great until the last 10 minutes

It's great, best sci-fi film in recent memory. Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

This is sci-fi kino. Villeneuve = God. Amy Adams is the 2nd best actress of this generation.

nice meme

The movie was not good...at ALL. To be fair though, I may have enjoyed it better if the trailers didn't fucking give away the entire movie.

I remember when I saw it, every time there was a buildup like OPs pic I already knew what was going to happen because they were trailer shots.

>he watches films for the plot points
Sad.

Why you gotta suck Villeneuve's dick so much? Let's be honest here, he's not that great of a director. BR2049 was great because of the production, acting and script.

He manage to pull a good performance out of Harrison fucking Ford, he's a good director alright

Yeah and you watch them for what, the CGI? GTFO netflix sub.

kek...you call that a good performance? Because he shed a tear?

You missed the point tho

Yeah there's nothing to film but plot points and CGI, amazing post there user.
Might aswell just read the plot synopsis of every film on wikipedia and call it a day if that's all that you care for.

>he watches films because he has nothing better to do
stay virgin, poor, etc.

So the movie directed itself? Who brings the script to the screen? Who guides the actors into great performances? Who's vision is guiding the production of a movie? Lol just admit he's a top tier filmmaker.

His best performance in his entire career. It's nothing amazing compared to other actors, but it's amazing that he managed to pull all of that out of the usually completely flat one note Ford.

No, it's overall a fairly smart and well-executed film, consistent with Denis' other work. My only major issue with it is the time paradox at the end.

>Villeneuve knows tension
best laugh of the day, thanks.
this too.
wew.

you're all retards negri

>"Has no actual arguments, resorts to grade-school comebacks"

I didn't say there wasn't anything more to film than plot points and CGI. But in the case of Arrival? Yes, that's all it is.

There is no esoteric symbolism, no alchemy, no transformation of philosophy. Are you honestly going to sit there and say Arrival was a deep and moving experience?

>The Day the Earth Stood Still remake...AGAIN (yawn)
>Single white mother protagonist mary sue (best in class linguist who BTFOs all the males in her field)
>Mary Sue "figures out" the aliens because she's so great
>Military foolishly attacks the aliens
>Information to "stop the war" given to mary sue through a plot device called "vision from the future".

So tell me, aside from having great cinematography, CGI and dull/repetitive plot points, what did you find especially deep and rewarding about Arrival?

>he thinks direct symbolism is a positive in a film
>he thinks a film has to be "le deep" to be good
Laffin

You've now outed yourself as just another contrarian teenager on the internet (defending denis villeneuve too???). How does it feel?

Netflix has good cgi stuff.

What is contrarian about anything I just said?
I didn't even mention Villeneuve in a single post user.

>I'M NOT CONTRARIAN TAKE IT BACK

this movie is pleb filter
and by that I mean you're a pleb if you thought it was deep
The main characters plot with her daughter doesn't even tie into the aliens in any way, it's not connected at all.

Nice mental midget non argument defense system you have there my dear friend.

The short story could easily be turned into a low budget episode of a scifi anthology, not have retarded chink pandering politics and still have a greater emotional impact than what we got

Yeah it's a pretty simple film, but how doesn't it connect?
The effects of her learning about the non linear language and seeing her entire life play out from start to end makes her embrace death as a vital part of life and she accepts her daughter's death because of it while appreciating every waking moment of her life while she's still alive. The mother daughter relationship is the central part of the story.

The opening and the ending sequences are about their relationship.
All the major scenes are intercut with it.
And even when it's in the present narrative it's either a heavy close up of Amy Adams for half the movie or a camera placement of her characters point of view.

The ayylmaos and the science were plot devices for the actual narrative of the mother-daughter relationship.

Nonsense. What about Ford in Polanski's Frantic?

It was okay. Prisoners is Denis' best film by far though.

You seem like a dumbass

Nice job being triggered because you have shit taste and plebian culture

Oh sure I am the one that's triggered right my dear amigo friend.
Still laffin

Take TLJ with it's Rose and Finn subplot. Many people thought it was unnecessary to the movie. Now if that's unnecessary, how pointless is Arrival?
>The mother daughter relationship is the central part of the story.
Really? because I thought it was about the fucking aliens. Most of the screentime in this movie is dedicated to the aliens and their language. Could've fooled me.
>ayylmaos and the science were plot devices for the actual narrative of the mother-daughter relationship.
Her daughter doesn't even exist, how is that the central plot? This movie is so disconnected and trying to be deep but it has no idea what it's actually about. Her daughter connects to the aliens in no way at all. It's a disconnected subplot that she faces on the side, because aliems gave her superpowers.

Despite being straightforward I hear that apparantly some viewers "didn't get it". My uncle who is a university professor recommended it saying "you might have to watch it more than once". No uncle I'm pretty sure I got it the first time, it's fucking straightforward. As someone with a language degree this stuff is so basic. I imagine real linguists hated this movie. By the way, dreaming in a language isn't even "woah deep", you can dream in a language even as a beginner if you do it a lot before bed.

>Her daughter doesn't even exist, how is that the central plot?
Because the film is about non linear time perspective and she literally throughout the whole film get's glimpses and "memories" of her daughter that is yet to be born, from start of the film till the end? Like that's the entire conflict of her character?
Are you just baiting or?

And you immediately went into the dumb "le deep" subject while the first thing I said is that it's a simple film.