JUST

>forbes.com/sites/robcain/2018/01/06/last-jedi-has-set-its-first-box-office-record-biggest-ever-sequel-to-sequel-plunge/#18a9f13c42ee
>These movies are among the biggest losers in Hollywood history, record holders for global box office mediocrity. They were all sequel films that made hundreds of millions of dollars less in worldwide theatrical revenue than their immediate predecessors in their respective franchises.

But now, one sequel rules them all.

>That sequel is Disney/Lucasfilm’s current release Star Wars: The Last Jedi. With China now clearly a huge bust for the picture, $1.4 billion in global receipts is a pipe dream, and even $1.3 billion might be a stretch. Which means Episode VIII: The Last Jedi will earn at least $700 million less in global box office revenue, and probably closer to $800 million less, than the $2.07 billion total of Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story may have immediately preceeded Last Jedi, but it is properly classified as a spin-off, not a sequel, so I didn't include it in this analysis). That’s easily a $100 million bigger drop than the previous record holder, Transformers: The Last Knight, which collected $609 million less than Transformers 4's 2014 total of $1.1 billion. The Last Jedi is the new all-time champion of sequel collapses.

wow only going to make 1.3 billion how will they ever survive

SEETHING MOUSE

ur missing the point autist

you need look at it as 700m LOST not 1.3bill made

where exactly did they say this movie will make 2B? has any sequel made that? TFW just made that much because it was the first film in 10 years.

But they did make 1.3bill. I'm sure Disney wants it to make as much as possible, but I don't think they're suffering with TLJ.

>only $600 million under the most conservative estimates
I'm sure the execs are cool with that.

>implying the "budget numbers" arent just made up and exaggerated to cover up the zionist money-laundering operation that is Hollywood

Cain is such based Porgposter

>I'm sure the execs are cool with that.
>Disney

The company that threw a fit because Age of Ultron made $100 million less than Avengers.

TLJ is less profitable than Age of Ultron.

did you ever hear of the story of Josh Whedon?

>Money that would have never been made is money lost
t. Corporate exec butthurt about piracy

It's literally the way they think.

Literally who?

did disney farm production/marketing for TLJ out to WB

Star Wars films will never fail at the box office. They'll merely fail to meet expectations. Quality is irrelevant. This is what makes it such a valuable franchise to Disney. They literally can't fuck it up from a financial perspective.

Joss the Unwise?

basically this means that disney star wars isn’t the invincible juggernaut everybody thought it was/was going to be. nobody’s arguing that it’s not making money

Failing to meet expectations means it failed. Don't be the little kid in the thread who doesn't understand that from a business point of view.

I never heard such a tale

man i wonder what the box office numbers would be if you excluded all the autists who see the movie 15 times

Failing to meet a profit expectation is a big deal in the business world.

why does Sup Forums have so many brainlets like this?

It's not a story the mouseshills would tell you

You know they budget other productions and acquisitions with the idea that they'll have $600 million more, right

shit meme

You don't understand it do you?

They make earning projections based on how well the previous movies performed, and how well it does in the first few weeks.

They have a few projections covering most of their bases - optimistic ones, averages and minimal projections. The minimal projections are basically as low as they can fathom the movie going.

This move missed the most minimal projection by $700,000,000. 700 fucking million.

For Disney, this is going to ruffle some serious feathers. 1.3 billion is cool and all - but they are well aware of the massive loss they didn't account for.

Imagine if you were promised a $2,000 work bonus at the end of the year and you started budgeting what you could use it for, only to end up with $1,300. Yeah, sure you made 1,300 - but what about the other 700? Suddenly that isn't yours and fuck whatever you were going to do with it! Just imagine that on a much larger scale.

Lynch refugees from reddit.

ok kathleen

Tell me, what happened to this Josh wheadon

This is going to hurt them in the long run. Theaters will reject Disney's attempts to strong arm them and rival studios will be more willing to compete with Star Wars films. The 4 week obligation is costing theaters money. They are unable to meet the demand for Jumanji because those screens are dedicated to a movie no one is interested in. The poor toy sales and disaster that is Battlefront II says hi as well.

>Don't be the little kid
My point is that it doesn't need to do $2b to succeed. It can do $600m and still be a financial cash cow for Disney.

A BILLION dollars is alot

And it's only been out for 2 months, once the dvd's and ppv's come out it'll keep raking it in. It'll make money from now until maybe the next 50 years

Your point is shit because you don't understand how the business works. It's been explained already ITT. You need to be lurking instead of posting at this point. Do the right thing.

Just Whedon got shitcanned for AoU making 100m less than Avengers

Between this and Solo basically being written off, Disney needs to do something about Kathleen Kennedy. She's clearly shown that she can't manage Lucasfilm in a way that generates stable profits.

Honestly, I think that's what this is. Most of the people who went back and watched TFA like 20 times are the ones who aren't going back and rewatching TLJ - because it's a bad movie.

Explain it to me again. I'm begging you. My whole point is that quality no longer matters with this franchise since the fans are going to turn out no matter what. Tell me how that's wrong.

For fucks sake.

Read this:

Read the thread. Don't post again until you do. This isn't rocket science. Stop being an adolescent about it.

that works for the opening weekend (and TLJ did start well) but not for a film having BO "legs"

This post, if that's what you're referring to, does not contain great insight. Yes, Disney had expectations for this film. But that it didn't meet their sky-high unfathomable expectations (which are ludicrous for any other film premier) makes the film a failure ONLY in the eyes of Disney execs. Not within he industry.

Someone needs to make a virgin Scott Mendelson vs the chad Rob Cain.

saying that the movie broke even so it’s good for the mouse is like saying that a C is as good as an A

All Marvel sequels have made a profit from their previous films. This is not in any way a success for them. It made money but they won’t be happy with the status quo. It means bad things for Ep IX as well. It’s a sign of a series in bad shape. They want to do even more after IX as well

please tell me you're trolling
they wanted it to make money 50 years from now, but it won't make money even 5 years from now
the OT will make money 50 years from now, the toys and other merch from OT will make money 50 years from now
no one is buying the chink chick doll

say goodbye to your own personal star wars trilogy rian
l m a o

It's not going to break even. It's going to be a massive success relative to any other film. It's only a box office failure by Star Wars standards. That's my whole point. The film, NOT counting the merchandise, is going to continue to be hugely profitable, just perhaps not what Disney had intended.

>moving goalposts to muh industry
It didn't meet minimum expectations. Minimum. Read it again. Minimum. It's time to accept you belong on Sup Forums or facebook.

>has any sequel made that?

Infinity War will be the first.

this

the big studios are putting all their eggs in just a few big baskets, and they use these huge movies to bankroll their other projects if one under performs they have less to spend on everything else in the future

Disney is full of idiots if they think this movie would make 2 billion dollars even if it was good. You get diminishing returns when you pump out Star Wars movies every year.

I watched the movie and I can't believe they said Luke thought about killing a kid - his sister's kid and then left didn't come back for decades didn't go back when Han died didn't even feel Leia almost die drinks semen milk directly from alien tits refused to train a girl because she was to strong the his lightsaber away and didn't even turn it on once learned absolutely nothing for thirty entire years to sulk and mope cut himself off from the force entirely let a girl best him with a stick and had forgotten the face of his father.

I understand why Mark said not my Luke. I did not recognize the man before me at all. Even at the end I can't believe like went off after a fancy Jewish trick. The man who faced Sheev and Vader face to face didn't even leave his rock to tell off his nephew.

Fucking hell. The more I think about this movie the angrier I get and I don't ever feel this way about stuff. When the most butchered adaptations I don't care about. But this was just wrong and uncalled for in every way. I don't see how anyone can like what they did with Luke at all.

Because advertising cost a lot of money. The production of these movies costs a lot. And business make projections of future prospects which is already explained it here.

If the movie made only 600 million Disney would be losing money and many people would be fired, another loss like that and Disney is almost bankrupt. You don't understand how important massive profits are for these big corporations. CEO's and other high ranking executives will still be millionaires/billionaires but the business will go bankrupt pretty quickly.

>failure by Star Wars standards

>this kills the scott mendelsen

Breaking even is an F. They outright lost money since they could've just left the money in the bank and made money off interest.

I think I'm done responding to you. Even for a poster on anonymous Norwegian backgammon board, you're a bit of a douche.

Disney will blame Mark Hamill and triple down on Kathleen Kennedy's BS.

Are you retarded? Do you even realize how disappointed fans are?

Toy sales already dropped 50%.

>My whole point is that quality no longer matters with this franchise since the fans are going to turn out no matter what
Are you nuts? The point is that the fans aren't turning out again and again.

Disney wants Star Wars to be like a James Cameron movie (or well the original Star Wars movies), they want audiences going back for 2nd, 3rd, even 4th viewings.

Why the hell did Disney agree to develop a spin off prequel film of the OT involving one of the trio characters they killed off in the sequels? Do fans really care how Solo got his ship or how he saved Chewie? Han isa tag along character, I liked him, but his story revolves around the Skywalkers. He's not that important for a feature film.

Good. You shouldn't be responding to anyone. You can't grasp simple concepts or maintain an argument like an adult white person.

fags can't understand expected profits because they get distracted by big numbers and cant into math.

Didin't you know? Every movie now needs to make a 99 bazillion dollars to break even ;)

by “break even”, i really meant “turn a profit”. my bad
>just perhaps not what Disney had intended.
this is the kicker, user. disney sets its goals with the expectation that it meets them, or at least gets very close to doing so. this movie did neither of those things

>You get diminishing returns when you pump out Star Wars movies every year.

MCU is not suffering that at all.

Episode 9 will make even less and Soylo is going to be hilariously shit i cant wait

>they want audiences going back for 2nd, 3rd, even 4th viewings.
Which they will do. That's my point.

>when multiple people are trying to explain why I'm retarded, it's obviously because they're mean instead of my mental deficiency

it's lucasfilm trying to copy gotg

>another little kid who doesn't read threads or understand studio economics
>>>/facebook/

No one has explained why.

because its the latest fad, star wars is 40 years old m8

>but the comics

still struggling as always

How long until Rian Johnson gets taken off the next trilogy?

they did
several times

If Disney keeps Kennedy they might as well start lighting money on fire. She's the nexus of EVERYTHING that's gone wrong with Star Wars in the last year. All the fired directors, all the reshoots of movies, all the SJW pandering, it all leads back to her. She's the problem, and if they don't want to keep losing money they'd better recognize that.

No. They misinterpreted what I wrote and responded to their own imaginations.

we’ve spelt it out for you as clear and exact as possible

>who doesn't read threads or understand studio economics
Kek have some fucking self-awareness.

Except the movie has literally zero rewatchabilty thanks to le ebin subversion man's dogshit decisions. No one wants to buy a DVD of their franchise being raped.

The industry sees this and the industry will have less expectations of Disney in the future. Disney isn't so powerful anymore, shows weakness. Exects love to have a company showing weakness

Problem is the few that do that arent going to be enough.
When TFA happened many went back for many viewing.
Only a small number are. Not enough to give them that 2+ Billion they wanted out of this

This is a different type of rage. Disney fucked up all of last year. They got so wrapped up in their own hubris they decided to ban an entire pair from reviewing their movies because they exposed how Disney is literally taking over and entire American city behind closed doors. They had to backtrack once it got out and the critics said they'd no longer take their blood money if they didn't all get a slice of the blood money. Star wars wasn't out yet and Disney realized it still needed to pay them off to get the good reviews for it but that still didn't work because they underestimated how loyle the star wars fans are and that even they know when they have been lied to.

And make no mistake Disney lied. About everything. Go watch all of the trailers I haven't seen such s dishonest campaign since Drive. And with drive plebs were tricked into watching a kino movie. This movie had some of the dumbest most out of place jokes in it I've ever seen.

That's because the MCU has a seemingly infinite amount of source material to draw from that people are familiar with.

Star Wars is tarnished - the prequels were a kick in the teeth from George and then Disney 'rebooting' the canon feels like their way of telling older fans "This is no longer a franchise we're making for you."

Can you imagine if Disney suddenly considered all Marvel comics non-canon and then began making up new superheroes to fill their agendas? That's basically what has happened to Star Wars and what will keep happening until the diminishing returns are so great that they just kill it.

Congratulations! You are officially the stupidest person on Sup Forums for [January 6, 2018]. You are entitled to one (1) free ticket to the subreddit of your choice.

Disney did too nobody told them to make the entire EU non canon.

MCU does not even need source material cause nobody reads the fucking comics

Business is about meeting profit expectations, not survival.

>single mommy taught me I'm never the problem

>That's because the MCU has a seemingly infinite amount of source material to draw from that people are familiar with.

Then explain DC.

Not like The Force Awakens did.

Here let's make it simpler to understand. Imagine if you owned I dunno a donut shop and you did $1 Million worth of business in 2016. Now let's say in 2017 you did $600,000. Would that decline in sales worry you? It should.

compare the recent superhero flicks to a 40 year franchise.
Also, there is a burn out from the many Marvel films being pumped out each year and how those film you have to watch the other 40 fils for the next avenger's flick. it is starting to get old

the EU was never canon dipshit

>no u!
Great argument. Grow out of "kek" already, Cletus. It's an immediate flag that you're under 25 and can't get laid.

>right as they consolidate power by buying 90% of 20th century fox a few days before releasing a sequel to TFA that’s expected to do just as well and cement nu-SW’s staying power as a franchise, their grip on power starts slipping
i really, really, really like where this is heading

>I only lost almost a billion.

>you have one of the most famous franchises ever
>sequels usually gross more and more as more of the public become watchers over time, see the previous one on tv or netflix or whatever and want to see the next in cinemas
> have opportunity to make 2 billion+ USd if you do a good job
>instead make 700 million less than that

"hurr 1.3 billion that's great"

Life's funny that way, isn't it? Just when it looks like someone or something is unstoppable, they always seem to falter and diminish. There's that old saying, "Pride cometh before a fall."

>TFA is where all the movies should hit now

thats just stupid and nobody with a brain had that expectation

there was special circumstances that made that happen, which will never be replicated