ITT: Perfect Double Features

Let’s talk about films you think compliment each other perfectly, and maybe a little as to why.

Pic obviously related. Anime and anime-inspired films about insane unrealistic car racing are obviously gonna fit together, but for Redline and Speed Racer it’s deeper.

Both Speed Racer and Redline live and die by their visuals. They both tell simple stories about honest racers who’s love of the sport is rooted deep in their childhood (along with their main love interests). Where they differ is in story structure, which is interesting. Speed Racer is, at it’s core, a kid’s movie, with an easy to follow structure and outlandish, likable characters in a world that’s very surreal. Redline is also surreal and outlandish, but the structure is gone. In it’s place there’s the interwoven stories of our main three, the larger story of all racers and why they do this, and the big galactic opera of hiding massive superweapons.

This taking away of structure, in my opinion, makes Redline feel like a grown-up version of Speed Racer’s ideas: It’s more confusing and chaotic, but ultimately rewarding.

Fucking bump, dammit.

The Purple Rose of Cairo then Radio Days

both Woody Allen period pieces. both great.

I have no idea why Speed Racer wasn't a hit. Every parent in the U.S. should have brought their kids to see it, it was an exceptional anime adaptation.

As for my own double feature, I'm not gonna spend any time on this and say Black Swan/Whiplash. You get the feminine and masculine perspectives on the pursuit of perfection to the detriment of other facets of life.

Felidae and Fritz the Cat paired nicely

Battleship Potempkin/Triumph des Willens commie/nazi propaganda double flick. Beyond the common totalitarian theme (though opposite sides of it), they also both invented many of the techniques and motifs used in modern filmmaking, one in a story format, and the other in a documentary format.

Stagecoach and The Searchers

Murder by Death and Clue (1985), since they're basically the same movie.

>Murder by Death
Wtf? Is it as good as Clue?

Yes.
Peter Sellers plays a Chinese detective, and Alec Guinness plays a blind butler.

I like to watch 'man isolated vs peril' movies back-to-back:

>Buried
>Gravity
>127 Hours

I'm forgetting another one of those.

Also,
The Edge & The Revenant for bear-kino
Spiderman: Homecoming & Birdman
Forest Gump & Being There

Also, for generational-kino

American Graffiti > Dazed and Confused > American Pie > Mean Girls > Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

American Graffiti
>
Dazed and Confused
>
The Breakfast Club
>
American Pie
>
Mean Girls
>
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Die Hard and Lethal Weapon
Midnight Run and Bulletproof
Kill Bill and Man with the Iron Fist

Drive 2049

I don't want to talk about double features.
I just wanted to post that Redline and Speed Racer are both fuck awesome films.

Elvira Mistress of the Dark and Return of the Killer Tomatoes. Both came out in 1988, 30 years ago when I was ten, and they make for a perfect double-bill of cheesy Horror/Sci-fi. I never get tired of watching either!!!FACT!!!

Die Hard and Home Alone
Escape from New York, Dredd, and Mad Max

They didn't know if the movie is for kids or for adults. The trailers were pretty serious and "by the creators of Matrix" was everywhere in the marketing campaign. The movie itself has this issue also - not really managing to blend the seriousness with being kid-friendly.

Deep Blue Sea & Anaconda

Rosemary's Baby and Omen

Also, Black Christmas and Halloween.