Did the Samurai Jack fanbase deserve everything they got coming to them?

Did the Samurai Jack fanbase deserve everything they got coming to them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b6QqVxGUzN0
youtube.com/watch?v=NIm-sUNHUZE
youtube.com/watch?v=etFdSKRueRQ
theverge.com/2017/3/10/14881920/samurai-jack-season-five-genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

It was pretty great

Yes and then some
Such a cancerous fan base
youtube.com/watch?v=b6QqVxGUzN0

>MULAN SZECHUAN SAUCE MORTY

Fucking kek this cant be real

LOL

Peak Sup Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=NIm-sUNHUZE

S5 and binge watch "fans"? I guess. They ranged from overzealous to obnoxious the entire time.
S1 - 4 fans? I can't see how, they were quiet and behaved all these years and were just glad to see their show getting a continuation and possible conclusion.

Do you think the S5 and Binge watch fans were the ones posting on Sup Forums about Samurai Jack and all the "SAMURAI KINO" threads on Sup Forums?

Maybe?
Like I said all these years SJ fans didn't make a peep about the show, there was that marathon followed by the first episode of Season 1 and suddenly a very vocal group had stars in their eyes about the show saving animation.

>fanbase
Season five created the "fanbase", and everything terrible that word implies; before that, there were just fans.

These are correct
Everyone who had been in the (tiny) fandom before season 5 was announced loved it
Casuals, newcomers, and normies had varying reactions, probably because it didn't feel like the continuation of an old story to them, and they hadn't actively waited a decade for any new Samurai Jack content. For most people, the show was a distant and fuzzy albeit fond memory.

The people that hopped on board just to watch season 5, sure. God just those fucking "SJ meme" threads that were just twitter memes with an SJ coat of paint alone justified their assmad.

Yes, absolutely.

We got 3 episodes of some of the best western drawn animation and storytelling in the last decade.
Then 7 episodes of average plot and some fanservice.

I'm just happy we got a season 5 at all really. The start of the season boosted my expectations sky high so that's mainly why episode 4 onward feels so mediocre to me.

Don't forget the Fujoshit and PLZ SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT ASHI threads

I watched Jack the first time it air and didn't love season 5. But I didn't think it needed an ending anyway. I don't understand why anyone cared about the overarching plot when the show was overwhelmingly more about episodic adventures.

Just because it isn't sickdark doesn't mean it sucks

Nobody cared about the plot until it ruined the entire show.

how did it ruin anything?

it killed off what made us like it in the first place

oh

If they were okay with the final then yes, they deserved that shit seaon.

The season was much worse than the finale.

Just because it's not sickdark doesn't mean it's not shit. There was a way to make this season light-hearted and good, Genndy failed that.

And you know, all of Jack's friends in the future are dead at best, so the ending was pretty fucking sickdark in my opinion.

>everybody is dead meme
>when no cartoon that deals with time travel ever uses this trope

At least those fujo threads were pretty funny

I was a fan of the original and enjoyed the new season greatly. So, I guess I got what I deserved, maybe?

In the end, Jack became a bigger villain than Aku.
Kind of ironic, huh?

You futurefags need to keep it in your fanfics.

When fanfics sound better than the real thing then you know something is wrong

That's your opinion.

I don't remember a cartoon that did time travel in a satisfactory way, but I remember an episode where Jack saves two monks and gives up going back to the past with the portal they were trying to reach. So since we have seen no scene where the future characters are alvie and happy I'm just assuming that, based on what I've been shown before, that the future that is Aku still exist and that Aku killed everyone attacking him. Or they got erased from reality, which isn't much better.

The fact that the majority of S5 fans are literally Tumblr circlejerks proves how cancerous it was
>muh Jashi

It did in this show and it used it horribly. There's no split timeline in this shows time travel. All they had to say was Ashi died from overexertong herself but instead they go full retard and say Ashi disappears from the timeline

Nah, Ashi wouldn't have disappeared if future Aku was still there. Jack saving the monks instead of going back to the past is just Jack being Jack. He's too nice for his own good. Aku has fucked himself over quite a few times for being too evil; same's happened to Jack for being too good.

Season 5 was a mistake that should be treated as fan fiction.

>Fan fiction
>made by the original creator
Like it or not, you can't call it fanfiction without being in denial.

If Aku didn't exist Ashi wouldn't exist either so Jack wouldn't have been able to get back to the past. Your logic is flawed, jsut like the finale for arbitraly sparing Jack and killing Ashi even though both of them lived the majority.of their life in the future that is Aku.

every fandom is cancer, user

>muh "s5 fans" vs "true fans" comparison

You probably think LOK is official material too, don't you? Fucking plebs, when will they learn.

t.s5 babby

Jack is spared from paradoxes on the virtue of belonging to another timeline; the same reason why he doesn't age.

GOTTA STAY
GOTTA STAY IN THE FUTURE
SAMURAI JACK

WACHA!

>I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE IT WITH MY OWN

>And you know, all of Jack's friends in the future are dead at best, so the ending was pretty fucking sickdark in my opinion.

sounds like you didn't get it.

If 99% of Sup Forums says it, actual reality no longer matters much. Everyone knows opinions are PC outside of Sup Forums.

I'm not talking about splitting time travel. Most of the time when someone goes back to the past to change the future in cartoons, the characters still exist with different lives.

Pic related is an exact example of the same thing with Samurai Jack.

If you want a season that was utterly trash and that made four previous seasons non existent as canon, then i pity you.

I didn't think it was trash; I'm so grateful your opinion is completely meaningless to me.

I genuinely don't understand how people think this was good. With the bad pacing, ham-fisted romance, and myriad of other problems people have talked about to death here, I just don't get how people can still think that it's good. I've always thought people had low standards if any, but when something is this unabashedly bad I usually see at least a decent amount of backlash, I just don't get it.

>daily threads hating it
>not a decent amount of backlash

Do you see any backlash anywhere but here? Every review says it's amazing it has a 100% percent on Rotten Tomatoes and every written review is the same, every video on it basically heralds it as the second coming of cartoons. Even on here when someone says it's bad they're called a contrarian and ignored. I don't care about reviews but it's part of a larger problem with standards of quality that people have ignored for a long time that I just can't stand.

>100% percent on Rotten Tomatoes

Just look on youtube, or any comments section, really.

Yes

I have, have you? Because the majority still day it's good.
Great response, because a perfect review on a large reviewer with a 93% viewer grade means absolutely nothing because you don't care about it. I think the majority of review sites are stupid but pretending they mean nothing and aren't indicative of a larger problem is downright retarded. But what am I thinking, this is 4 chan, can't actually take anything seriously, better to just pretend everything we don't like doesn't exist and ignore them until they become too large to.

Rebel Taxi just made a retrospect on this
youtube.com/watch?v=etFdSKRueRQ

Jesus, you are butt hurt

>muh critics like it

Is that you Genndy?

I'm confused. What did the Samurai Jack fanbase get that they "had coming to them?"

I loved season 5 up until the last half of the finale. And even though I hated and have ranted about the ending there are plenty if other fans that liked or even loved the ending. Yes, I hated the ending and yes it soured me on the show, but it's hard for me to look back and call season 5 terrible because of it. Especially when I had so much fun watching the new episodes every week..

That's just even worse time traveling. The butterfly effect means that none of those people would be born

After Rickgate, yeah, I have no sympathy for them

What are you talking about? Did read a thing I wrote? I think it's garbage you moron, pay attention.

Your droning on and on like a little butt hurt bitch tends to make people just skim over the crap you type.

If the final season was done in 2005 it would have been much better

So I'm butthurt if I liked it and butthurt if I hate it. You can't even spend 25 seconds reading the comments you're responding to, you're a joke.

So much ashi that jack didnt even get a scene with his parents

E4 really isn't any worse than E1-3

Because you all would have been 12 years younger and had lower standards like you did when you liked the show in the first place.

>Did the Samurai Jack fanbase deserve everything they got coming to them?

A decent final season with an expected ending?
Yeah sure, why not

I hate when people say shit like this. You have no argument so you just say its because of age

It would have at least been different with the guardian and jack the king

But it was because of the actions of those previous 4 seasons that got Jack is (mostly) happy ending, so there's that...

A shitty season with a rushing ending and bad writing?

Honestly, maybe, the fact that so many people ate it up and called it masterpiece even in the worst episodes made me disgusted. Truly the western animation industry has the audience it deserves.

Aren't many things in Jack's world already predetermined?

>Because the majority still day it's good.

Are u sure about that?

It may not have been perfect, obviously some people are going to have some issues, but overall it was pretty fr*cken gud.

Genndy has stated on several occasions that the Guardian ep wasn't an actual build-up to anything and he didn't have a clear ending in mind at the time.

There's having an opinion and then there's being objectively wrong user.

>it didn't feel like the continuation of an old story to them
it didn't for oldfans either

>but muhh lyrics in the opening

Don't act like you speak for all oldfans. I'm an oldfan & I am happy with the season 5 ending & I loved S5 as a whole.

>I can't see how
How about worshipping a mediocre cartoon as if it were the second coming of Christ? How about autistically screaming and throwing a fit whenever anyone points out the shows numerous, glaring flaws?

SJ isn't bad. It's okay. Like, MLAATR-tier. But the way the fandom is always sucking Genndy's dick makes it Rick & Morty-tier terrible.

>Rick & Morty-tier terrible

Hello Sup Forums

You got a link to an interview or something?

What are you talking about? Sup Forums loves Ricky & Morty

I'm confused, do you think the majority of people don't think its's good? I personally think it was bad all around but as I said, though misspelled, the majority of people I hear talk about it say they think it's good, as did you.

even though it doesn't mesh with the entirety of the plot of samurai jack, sans the intro?

>mediocre

but that's where you're wrong

shit was lit

>post-episode interview cop out

How to identify a Hack 101

I'm not sure if I've seen it in cartoons, but I've seen some other media address how horrifying the idea of snuffing out potential futures and rewriting people out of existence can be.

In a lot of time-travel stories, all the characters exist in both the good and bad future because the the point of divergence took place after the characters had already been born. But if it takes place before their births? In that case butterfly effect should kick in and make everything unpredictable. And that is the case with the future cast of Samurai Jack; the story takes place so long after Jack's original era that anything could change. Maybe Jack defeating Aku meant that the Earth stays mundane and human, instead of being occupied by tons of aliens and robots. Maybe people don't need to have as large families in the new timeline, and all of the Scotsman's daughters are gone. Maybe one of his ancestors was supposed to meet his wife at a hospital after being attacked by Aku's minions, but in the new timeline that never happens so the lineage that leads to the Scotsman won't exist. Who knows. If the show had given any confirmation in the form of an epilogue, we would know for sure how the future ended up, but now we'll just have to keep guessing.

>Jack went back to the past
>Defeated Aku & prevented centuries of suffering in the future
>doesn't mesh

>it doesn't mesh with the entirety of the plot of samurai jack

The part about finding a time portal and killing Aku?
You're saying some pretty retarded stuff, my man

It's time travel, I don't know why people are analyzing it so hard. It's just a cartoon lol.

Besides, ashi's spirit lives on in that ladybug

theverge.com/2017/3/10/14881920/samurai-jack-season-five-genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim

>every time jack rejects a portal he does so in favor of the future, minus the ending
>ashi's redemption arc hinges on there being hope and jack improving the future
>jack doesn't kill himself precisely because he isn't failing at saving people
>the tone of the entire series is romantically optimistic until the abrupt morally utilitarian ending
you're conflating the plot with a plot device

>hurrr duurrr there was hope so all the people that died before hand and that we are reminded of every intro don't matter -_-

You are stupid, back to fanfiction.net with you.

the series could have ended the first time jack came across a portal and forewent it for something more pressing

>Jack rejecting time portal
Because in times like the episode with the monks, it was Jack being the hero that he is & the finale was Jacks last chance of ever going back, unlike every other time he rejected a portal.

>the tone of the entire series is romantically optimistic until the abrupt morally utilitarian ending

The ending in some ways was positive. Yes, Ashi & all of Jacks friends died/were erased. But despite that, Jack going back & slaying Aku created a world that Ashi & his friends would've wanted. A world that wasn't ruled by a shogun of sorrow, a world of peace. And despite the friends Jack made & his love being gone, he created a better future.