How do I become a filmmaker when I grow up?

How do I become a filmmaker when I grow up?

Be Jewish

Get involved in the business and make your interests and passion visible to your peers.

Leave Sup Forums now.

that hairstyle reminds me of a helicopter lol

fpbp

>be Jewish
>have relatives that work in the industry

that's it

Maybe go to film school maybe not. If you do go though, then focus on learning everything, because that's what it takes to get your foot in the door. Learn everything from directing, cinematography, to editing and general post-production. I wouldn't focus too much on screenwriting unless you want to become a writer, but take a script analysis course.

I say this because the reality is that you'll probably have to start in advertising and you'll be much more hireable if you can do all of those things somewhat. A lot of young filmmakers want to focus on one particular thing, or steer clear entirely from advertising. Go into advertising for a while, you'll probably have no other choice.

buying a camera might be a good start.

What about acting? For example, you’re a chad with an impressive acting talent and not the generic chad with the soulless acting.

Acting is tough. It's just hard to be recognized this day and age. The best course of action would probably be film school then working your way up the classes and getting involved in student films. Also there's bound to be call sheets for short films in any city online. I think the best place to start as an actor would be to just get out to hollywood. I wouldn't know too much about acting. I do post-production.

>If you do go though, then focus on learning everything
Only morons go to film school today to "learn".
The only valid reason to go to film school in todays time is for the access to high quality equipment and connections connections connections. All the "knowledge" can be entirely found on the Internet, you can pirate entire masterclasses if you want. People who go to film school just to "learn" filmmaking never make it

Through nepotism.

What happened to Max?

Yeah I'd just say you learn a lot through actually making films. You can't learn how to direct online, or how to load film into a film camera in a changing bag, or how to use avid and pro tools to edit and mix a film. I suppose you could but it would be really hard. It is a very poor financial choice to go to film school no doubt though, because most student filmmakers just went through a film phase and thought they were gifted at filmmaking and fell in love with the idea that you should do what you love (which is a great idea within reason). But then you actually go to film school and get eaten alive slowly, because you realize filmmaking is actually hurtling over endless problems and complications.. Even if you're all there creatively and are in the right frame of mind to create something, your actors can show up and be cocksuckers who didn't memorize their lines, your DP's head can be in a totally other universe creatively, and you can have technical problems galore especially with audio. Then after all of that you need to be able to sit down and edit the whole thing, as well as do good sound editing, which is fucking hard. If anything is at all subpar. Like the camera you used was shit, the lighting sucked, the audio recording sucked, or if the edit was poor or it wasn't mixed well, or even if the fucking title didn't look cool- then your film will reek of amateur hour and it will suck. You really got to be a masochist to fall in love with filmmaking.

The helicopters in your country sound gay.

If you want to make any kind of major release, sadly this.

Be the son of a guy who's a successful Hollywood director

Get a haircut that looks like it was cut with a helicopter blade

Make a few meme films. Hang out with Mike and Jay

Make the mistake of writing a film for Netflix.

Disney shills accuse you of ... something and tell everyone not to watch your "netflix orc cop" movie and go the Cinema instead and enjoy some Popcorn and a Coca-Cola tm.

How old are you?

>or how to use avid and pro tools to edit and mix a film.
Yes user, you can do exactly that online, in fact the vast majority of people do.

I agree with the rest you said but you can do most of that on your own, trial and error to infinity until you know how to prepare and overcome problems before they even happen. I still stand by the point that going to film school should first and foremost be to make connections

unless someone important attends your Bar Mitzvah you still have no chance, but if they do you might be cast in one of the biggest roles in movie history even if you can't act worth shit
>but I didn't have a Bar Mitzvah
hahahahaha