Fucking hell, these animations are beautiful

Fucking hell, these animations are beautiful.

youtube.com/watch?v=wvD8NZN9Zsg

Other urls found in this thread:

bookdepository.com/Sonic-Mega-Drive-Sonic-Scribes/9781682559789
youtube.com/watch?v=fIgOcFIo0kE
youtube.com/watch?v=-TI4dS5xkQU
youtu.be/sMHmn8atkM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>2D Sonic returns

Except for all the Advance games. Which didn't reuse old assets for nostalgiafags.

The last advanced game was over a decade ago you pessimistic cunt. Don't talk about nostalgia fags while also nostalgia fagging.

And part of Generations. And Colors. And Sonic 4.

2D Sonic returns every couple of years and they keep acting like it's some big revival when it's just them admitting they were unable to properly translate this character into 3D while Mario, Zelda, and now even Pokemon at this point did it just fine.

>worst fandom of all time

yeesh

Trips of truth

>Glide
>& Climb
>& Punch, too
>& Knuckles

Advance was decent and this looks like it's going to be really good, to me at least.

At least Sonic didn't end up like Mega Man.

Nah, its just that Classicucks always pretend that 2d has never been tried again been though it has.

Every classicucks should be killed.

Tyson still has work?

Good for him.

Just makes me sad we won't see that last issue of Mega Drive...

They were able to translate it fine. The Sonic fandom is just inundated with people that are angry that they're not nine years old anymore, and a bunch of children that latched onto the 2d only meme even though they were never old enough to play those games when they were fresh.

That's why even though there's a new 2D sonic every couple years it's never good enough either. The problem was never 2D or 3D, it's the lack of rosey nostalgia goggles.

>Sonic Megadrive: Overdrive is kill
Feels bad man.

Just so everyone knows, it was made by the same guy who made this.

OH NO

Tyson Hesse is the best thing to come out of the Sonic fandom. Prove me wrong.

Sonic translated just fine into 3d, it was called Sonic Adventure...the problem is for some reason ever since then they've always insisted on applying some stupid gimmick instead of just making Sonic games

Man I haven't thought about this guy in forever. What's he been doing since Boxer Hockey shut down? Did he actually get started working on Diesel?

I hope you guys can answer some doubts...

Euroanon here, I got the first comic of the Sonic Megadrive series, but I didn't keep up with it, so I'm waiting for the compilation that is going to be theorically published on July) bookdepository.com/Sonic-Mega-Drive-Sonic-Scribes/9781682559789

... but now I'm checking wikis and it seems like the third and last number of the series, supposed to come out in march, was never published in the end. If that's the case... do you think it's going to be exclusive for the compilation, or will the book feature something else?

This.

All the Adventure formula needed was better level design and less focus on the other characters.

The Sonic parts were as close to a perfect translation of Sonic into 3D as you can get, ironically more true to the 2D games than Mario 64 was to the 2D Marios.

It's dead user. Archie lost the license or something. The third issue will never be published. No compilation, nothing.

youtube.com/watch?v=fIgOcFIo0kE
youtube.com/watch?v=-TI4dS5xkQU

Well shit. I guess I'll cancel the preorder

Seconding.

Sonic Adventure was a perfectly fine foundation that they could have iterated upon until the physics were perfected.

Sonic Team clearly can't commit to one gameplay style long enough to polish it. Boost came very close but they bitched out in the end and decided to make a bunch of gameplay additions because they don't have confidence that it can stand on it's own.

Unironically, 3D Mario kept being better and more successful than 3D Sonic just as 2D Mario always was better and more successful than 2D Sonic.

> Happy Tree Friends
> boxerhockey

Sup Forums unironically saved the Sonic franchise

I'm not gonna argue with that.
I don't get why people still compare Mario and Sonic, to be honest. I'm personally a more Sonic type of guy, but Sonic Team just isn't comparable to Nintendo.
Doesn't mean the games are bad, though. It's like comparing Mario 64 to Crash Bandicoot. Both good games, but radically different.
But it you're trying to tell me that New Super Mario Bros (whatever the fuck one they're on now) has more effort put into it than Sonic Mania, that's a lie.

>See a video game thread on Sup Forums
>Take one look inside
>Urge to vomit rises
Fuck, you guys can't even have good off topic threads. This is why you're the worst board.

And a serious camera rework, and better collision, and vertical gameplay, and way, way, way less automation, and any momentum based gameplay at all. Adventure was so rough you might as well start over.

>ironically more true to the 2D games than Mario 64 was to the 2D Marios.
Bullshit. It was more of a Sonic branded spectacle platformer than anything else. Momentum was never part of it.

youtu.be/sMHmn8atkM4

This.

The excuse seems to be that they always want the game to be longer. I really don't mind of a game if it's short IF I had a great time playing it. For me it's like Pokemon, sure the base formula never changes but I had a great time playing and it was worth the money I gave out for it.

I like how sonic sounds like he did in the OVA, the use of the creepy Sonic CD music, and all the interesting moves they gave him

And that's why we got the NSMB series + Mario Maker, LOZ Link Between Worlds, and taking Pokemon up to gen 6 to FINALLY go 3D, to which really doesn't count because it still plays 2 dimensionally anyways, why is it ok when Nintendo does it? Fuck off with your pretentious shit, this game was solely made by a fan, that gets Sonic, and knows what the fans want. But go ahead sucking that Jewtendick, Federation Force 2 and Super Color Splash is totally want fans of Paper Mario and Metroid truly wants.

>because a series still uses 2D games it doesn't count as having transitioned well into 3D

Mania is the first time they haven't fucked up the physics though. That's the big deal for a lot of people. It's not a soulless nostalgia bait game, it's a legitimate successor, something that hasn't happened since 3K.

>Climb
>& Glide

Is....is that a fucking '& Knuckles' joke

Considering mania is basically a rehash of older levels made by a guy who only did romhacks it basically does

Those games are fucking old, bruh.

The modern gameplay style is generally accepted as the best gameplay 3D Sonic has ever had. Its just that Sega has zero confidence in just having a 3D Sonic game. Unleashed had Werehog, Colors added Wisps, Generations added Classic Sonic, and now Forces is keeping Classic Sonic, and adding custom characters. ALL of these game have 3D gameplay that switches to 2D Sonic Rush style gameplay mid level. Sega needs to get it together and make clear and consistent game design. Draw a hard line with what games are 2D and which ones are 3D.

So wait, this thing was real?
Fuck are we getting an animated intro by Hesse?

>Sonic 2D came back
>New 3D Sonic is coming out

>Mega Man as an IP is frozen forever
>Last Metroid game was Other M and the fangame nearly got fucked over

This is the wrong time line.

Rough around the edges but it looks interesting.

I was just thinking that it looking like Hesse's Megadrive stuff when I was watching it. So is Sega slowly absorbing the people who work for Archie comics? I heard that Flynn got hired to do some of the Boom episodes too.

Looks like an old PC platformer, in a good way.

>nearly
Didn't it? I thought they had to stop.

Nintendo probably exhausted their good ideas for 2D/3D metroid games.

You can still get the game from some sources, so "nearly".

It's probably hard for Sega to have confidence when their consumer base is never happy. They keep trying to find something that will satisfy the impossible to satisfy.

Listening to fans can be a double edged sword sometimes (pic related). Its part of the reason why they're in this position in the first place. Sometimes they should do what will be best for the brand in the longrun.

NSMB was made in response to fans of classic Mario after Sunshine was deam "not as good" to the classics. People have this shitty mentality that Mario is untouchable to mediocrity but not every Mario game hits the mark. And Sonic gets memed to hell when Sonic's problem is forced gimmicks instead of polished and solid gameplay like S3&K.

How many of you guys actually played Sonic Adventure recently and isn't just going off by nostalgia?

The game was fine, but was barely Sonic.

What made it "barely Sonic"?
And only speaking Sonic gameplay here.

Sonic means different things to different people. I had a blue hedgehog that went fast. That's all I needed. I liked the idea that Tails play style was more about racing Sonic.

The other play styles weren't great though, I'll admit that. But the Sonic gameplay was good enough for a first go at 3d for me.

how the fuck is bocamondo still so fucking bad

Lack of platforming. There's very few stages around platforming, and some of those stages are practically "run in this direction" to win.

Tails was pretty well done. In general, I think SA1 did a better job with "variety" gameplay than SA2, by a lot.

>"barely Sonic"
He had the most levels out of the bunch, Tails was going fast because you were racing, Amy (while not fast) was about reaching the end before Zero caught you and Gamma was reaching the end before time ran out. The only two that didn't have to do with speed was Knuckles and Big (but I at least enjoyed Knuckles' gameplay.

When I said "barely Sonic", i did not mean there's 5 other characters. I meant the Sonic level themselves were not quality Sonic-style levels.
I actually like the 6-character gimmick SA1 did, i also really like how it was separate unlike SA2. Doing a Sonic stage, then tails, then knuckles, then tails again was pretty annoying. Each character having their own story is a great idea

Sonic lost that crown to the horse show a long time ago user.

Ah, thanks for clearing it up, I assumed you were talking about the lack of Sonic's stages in the game, kind of like what SA2 did.

Sonic Adventure controlled like ass.

Like I said, different things to different people. When I think of old school sonic games the platforming is actually the most annoying part whereas the most memorable are the long stretches where you can just run.

Although that might just be because of that section in Chemical Plant Zone. Or the fucking Carnival Night barrel.

Eh, MLP was annoying but these pass few years have seemed to quite them down, unless I'm not looking in the right places.

Sonic Adventure came out two years after Mario 64. Even for its time, SA was a glitchy, graphical mess. It felt more like a demo pitch than a real game.

The art is nice but it's just traces from the OVA and CD animations. The gameplay looks like any flash platformer.

Try cutscenes between each Zone
I think, I don't actually know

>No CD on the Elevator Buttons

ree

For being fair the Sonic fandom went from being annoying to to everyone literally asking them to keep making more content because it's really funny, while MLP was really annoying then now it's just annoying.

Kind of funny considering the devs started by doing the Sonic CD port

Their both side-scrolling platformers from former rival companies.

Posting superior parody

...which was also made by Hesse.

Why is he so good at these?

Because he knows Sonic, but more importantly, he's a genuinely good comedian instead of just a dumb teen making non-sequitor references.

>Disembodied Ken Penders

I fucking lose it every single time.

>shit posts and is now working on sonic games
I wish I could improve on art
and coding...
and music making...
like him... I mean in the art/animation sense

I loved the original 3 plus Knuckles double-cartridge thing as a kid, and every time I boot one up I get reminded how they really haven't aged.

Sonic Adventure was a clunky, glitchy, fucked mess with an okay story.

Adventure 2 (Battle) was my Jam in middle school, but it probably hasn't aged half as well as I remember.

It's the basement, or the villas next door.

That and I doubt they wanted to try and figure out if it'd go before or after Sonic 2.

>That Sonic CD/Movie style

Oh how I missed seeing him like that.

After replaying them recently since my youth, turns out Sonic Adventure is the better game.
Sonic Adventure 2 has amazing music, but the majority of the gameplay is horrible. Non-Sonic/Shadow stages fucking sucks and the Sonic Stages themselves are pretty bland. I honestly struggled convincing myself to not quit playing it.
The bosses are ok though.
Sonic Adventure 1's main problem in terms of glitchiness are some stages are indoors and confined, which creates horrible camera problems. This is maybe only 2 stages.

This was hilarious.

Mania's supposed to look like it came straight out of the Saturn Era

But NSMB is literally the same game every time but with different layouts and nothing fixed. Least Mania has some original levels and 3 playable characters. It's BS that I can't be Luigi outside of the horrid multiplayer. Not saying it's an original masterpiece, but hey.
Mario 64 basically invented 3D collision and platforming. SA had larger levels and had to handle at a fast speed. It's ass now, but wasn't bad back then.

>and nothing fixed
I'm curious. Are you implying the New. games are flawed? If so, at what? I never noticed anything wrong with physics, besides Mario being a little floatier than before.

>It's BS that I can't be Luigi
You can on DS and 2, though.

shame women in the industry ruined animation or else we could have nice things like these

Now, if only the cartoon looked like that.

>free-running Sonic

now that'd be a fine gimmick

For me it's that the presentation never gets better even with tech advancing. The fact that NSMBWii and U are almost indistinguishable is a part of that.
Also, the fact that they have never even considered a multiplayer mode where you can't pick up the second player and throw them off a cliff, or jump on their head and mess up a jump.

I'm a nitpicker, but these games never add anything significant. NSMB2 was just "uhh...you can get a bunch of coins."

But no, there is no reason why in NSMBWii and U, I shouldn't be able to play as Luigi or Toad in single player.

No chuckling near the emerald.

Not only did he get it started, he got it published and the first volume is coming out

>Sonic's the only one smart enough to know how an elevator works

I thought Tails was supposed to be a genius or something.

Clearly it's an elevator that only works for Sonic.

I need this.

>reuse old assets
What are you even talking about? Everything was remade and remastered. I'd expect shitposting like this from Sup Forums

>Guy made really weird and funny Sonic fan comics
>Not only got to do art for the official Sonic comic, but also gets to make animated cutscenes for an official Sonic game

Dreams really do come true, huh?
Could dreams come true for me?

Advance, Rush and 4 just didn't feel right
I know a lot of people will think that's stupid but Sonic had a certain feel to the acceleration, jumping and even stopping which all felt juuuust off enough to make it not fun.
Plus adding all those stupid cartwheels and slide tackles to Sonic's moveset was a mistake.

Yes, Boom's done two Boom episodes that have aired so far. I believe he's tried to apply to be a writer for the main gains but never got accepted.

>Although that might just be because of that section in Chemical Plant Zone. Or the fucking Carnival Night barrel.
Both of which are just memes.
No one who actually played the classic games ever thinks "just running" was the main focus of those games. Spots that propelled you super fast were little instances in each act that immediately dumped you out to do more platforming.

The Advance series felt pretty good to me. It wasn't quite classic sonic, but unlike Sonic 4 it worked fine. It was the level design that held it back a bit.