Lucifer vs Arrowverse

Why do feel I enjoy a show VERY loosely based on something I've never read more than the Flash, a show I've been a big fan of, but haven't watched since the mid-season finale?
Or is that the point? I don't know Lucifer the comic, therefore it's just an urban fantasy detective show? While Flash has a third evil speedster big bad in a row? Why is Tom Ellis so wonderful?

Because you've never read Lucifer. If you did, you'd know this show is a massive fucking slap in the face.

Are you me?
Lucifer is the only comic-related show I enjoy following right now.
Legends of Superflarrow shows all started to feel like chores a while ago

also yeah, it's probably because of this

Your spoiler is correct.

If you had read Lucifer you'd be appalled at how little this series has to do with the comic, and how much better the written character of Lucifer is.

I read the comic, but never watched the show. I liked the comic.
What's the show even about, other than being a detective crime show?

the only good comic show is iZombie anyway

I watched the opening episode of this series after I read Season of Mists.
And oh man let me tell you, they did not read one damn word of Gaimans stuff or any of the lucifer series. He just comes off as catty in the show, it's totally pathetic.
If you're embarrassed by your source material you're doomed to fail from the jump.

>making Lucifer into a buddy cop show with only slight lip-service to the comic
appallingly lazy, why even bother?

>Doomed to fail
>Going on season 3 with extra episodes added to season 2
>So they're going to have summer special of lucifer episodes because they have more episodes now than they planned for.

The show is in middle of the pack for fox and is getting twice the ratings of The Flash, highest rated show on the CW. To put it into context for you.

1.0/4 3.41[31] 0.7 2.09 1.7 5.50[65]

Gotham, Lucifer and iZombie are the only good DC shows

I love Lucifer its the comfiest show on tv

Not really. I don't think of them as being the same at this point and can enjoy both. I actually like the tv Series.

Basic premise; Lucifer decides he's done and gives up on being the devil. Descends to Earth and cuts off his wings. Starts a bar in LA, then gets bored and through shenanigans, gets involved with the police, and becomes a civilian helper.

In time, people from Lucifer's past turn up to try and get him to return to Hell. Luci doesn't want to do that, and prefers to continue fucking around with humans and having lots of sex.

Has little to nothing to do with the comics. Pays lip service at best; Lucifer locks up and leaves Hell, starts a nightclub in LA, has a demon servent called Mazikeen.

Unless something has DRASTICALLY changed in the past few months, the show and the comic are related in name, and basic concept only.

Lol it's just Monk with satan. Face it, this is a show for normies.

The Flash is a show for normies

>Lucifer and his mom create a whole new separate world
this is fucking huge and the show doesn't even handles it as an after thought

"Let there be light"

OP (and anyone else), read Sandman+Lucifer right now if you haven't. They are soooo good. More than my favorite comics, they are up there with The Dark Tower, Dune, Bojack Horseman, ect. as some of my favorite media overall (which is a big thing, I usually prefer plain books to anything else).

The old Lucifer, by the way, not the new series. Read Sandman first cause Lucifer is sort of a sequel and also because Sandman is dope as fuck.

For Lucifer fans who are interested in the new series, here's my take:
It's alright in it's own right but don't read it expecting the old series. Lucifer fans can still enjoy it but it is much more shallow and generally just worse... adolescent might be the right word to describe it? not really but it's close. pulpy might be work too. basically, it's a bit of fun if you don't expect anything but if you treat it like a direct sequel to the first Lucifer, you'll have a hard time liking it. Don't expect them to do anything justice and don't expect the plot from the first series to carry over completely (they try but I get the feeling they never read the first series and only got some plot bullet points or something. or they're just incompetent, who knows!).

I realize all that sounds negative but I'm honestly enjoying the new series quite a bit (but again, not nearly as much as the first. good, just not by comparison), second volume had some "OOOOOH SHIT" moments and now I'm really pumped for volume three.

Btw in case anyone from Vertigo is here:
All the chapters are out already you fucks, so why do I have to wait so god damn long, huh? GET OFF YOUR DICKS AND PRINT ME SOME FUCKING COMIC BOOKS YOU FUCKERS

I mean, I love Lucifer, that and Sandman are probs my favorite comics maybe, but I still can enjoy the show (in a guilty pleasure way because omg, it's like every shitty network show merged into one with some teenage intern, who still thinks sex is the most scandalous, crazy, interesting thing anyone can do, in charge of the writing. in case it's not clear I mean this in the worst possible, most contemptible way).

If you treat it as completely unrelated (because it is, save for the names they are nothing alike), it can be enjoyable. Although that's only if you can enjoy these sorts of shows, as in all honesty it's pretty terrible.

And since it's not like this is ruining the chance at an actual adaptation, since there could never be an adaptation of the actual Lucifer comic, in America at least (a Sandman+Lucifer universe animated series is as impossible as it is tantalizing. even typing this was painful, having to consider all that potential knowing it could never be. this must be what a stillbirth feels like, minus all the whining and crying. gawd women are such wimps, I barely even cried writing this).

By the by, of all the Lucifer plotlines to show up in this show, "enter the void of creation and become God anew" was one of my least expected.

>Lucifer isn't played by David Bowie/a CGI recreation

Dropped immediately.

all live action tv is for normies

tv costs money, which means tv needs to make money, which means tv needs an audience proportional to its costs, which means tv is written for normies.

Until some ultra rich person starts funding tv for their niche interests or tv becomes much cheaper to make (either through animation tech or some sort of massive upheaval of the current socio-economic system), it will stay this way.

mon-el is the only DC tv guy to have a bad mom ending isn't he?

sure it was a speeforce ghost and flashback but arrow and flash both have some mom moments.

lucifer telling mum to move forward was moving.

Yeah Mon-El's mom is just a total dick for no reason it seems, his dad seemed dece though. haven't watched the last two episodes though so if something happened, i don't know about.

And speaking of bad adaptations, the last episode of American Gods has converted me to it's side. Now that I know it's gonna be its own thing, I can forgive all the stuff I thought they did worse than the book (everything except Laura up till then really, and Laura wasn't better so much as different). Also, I liked the new dynamic between the New Gods; that whole meeting was pretty great really. And honestly the "Bowie" cameo did help a lot too, always have a soft spot for media that plays to my musical tastes (which is why I was bummed they didn't play "Ride into the Sun" when Shadow was recruited, love me some VU).

Lucifer is a comfy show when you take it entirely as its own thing and don't expect it to be even 10% faithful adaptation. Similar to how iZombie is great by being nothing like the comic.

>Why do feel I enjoy a show VERY loosely based on something I've never read more than the Flash, a show I've been a big fan of, but haven't watched since the mid-season finale?

Because you have shit taste. The show is epitome of trash TV.

I watch it because I self-insert as Lucifer.

I would argue it's not even loosely based on the comic.

Wasn't this originally conceived as a Punisher show before Marvel said "no" to it?

Bw do you think the first run of the Lucifer comic is better then the new one we have since last year?
In my opinion it just does feel wrong/not like the original

Expectations Vs Not Having Expectations

pretty simple.

>Bw do you think the first run of the Lucifer comic is better then the new one we have since last year?
>In my opinion it just does feel wrong/not like the original
The impression I got just from reading the first issue of the new one is that the author never read the original, or Sandman and Hellblazer, for that matter.
I'm fairly certain she just skimmed over an already brief summation of the original series, skipping through more and more lines as she was nearing the end, then, confused, watched a couple episodes of the show, and with that in mind went on writing.
>Lucifer being appalled that mortals attribute thier evil deeds to his influence?
Gone. His presence alone is now enough to make people do evil and depraved acts.
>The ending being a metaphor for growing up and moving out of the parents' house?
Gone. He's back now!
>Stubborn refusal to have anything to do with his father?
Gone.
>Hell not being part of the rebooted universe?
Nope, still there.
>Elaine is the new God with angels serving her and only a couple renegades still
loyal to Yahweh?
Nope, the throne is empty, and angels still revere the Yahweh.
>Gabriel is dead?
Still alive.
>Morpheus being dead?
Lucifer, who has been to his funeral and met his successor, seems to think otherwise.

It's bloody disgusting.

>His presence alone is now enough to make people do evil and depraved acts.

this was the most fuckign outrageous thing and I immediately dropped the comic

Jesus Christ what were they thinking

Will THE best boy EVER come back?