BROADCAST ARCHIVAL AND PRESERVATION PROJECT

My VCR just fucked up this old Adult Swim tape

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RUNMjeESM9g
youtube.com/watch?v=lygyzLtwFrM
mega.nz/#F!E54WHZwK!A5b1znKuZNn-BXuiTWeRZQ
docs.google.com/document/d/1qrPjyrt9un5ZsN2hQOYz29MFgrmwO2geSdFQNKpt0Zw/edit
amazon.com/TOTMC-Capture-Adapter-Windows-Window/dp/B00M7T8T1E/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z7EXHXKWX687Z2FTQDXP
mega.nz/#!M2JBGayB!hjRmKhnQxSZ4BLVfbFSv-pmeOcmsPp9IUaftgaHxZ2w
mega.nz/#!Vm4WlYLQ!Q2ODcsJFklEYYHtI0_V-vvDb68mDe7FM40DGLUxOWbA
mega.nz/#!l7hWXC4J!BnrU_uYZT3YqLnzkNeHULEzKwpCWATQIgnNj0JSdzfo
digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/2251-tbc-time-base.html
mega.nz/#!QqRyxJoA!34DoNdOUT5XOtuzTFtscb4I-xpm1QutP4iuQONi43m0
mega.nz/#!drYjBAiS!1isZlPJn0-smOEJo4tuNiYHXU5n6yBkPhl_6Z_ct1nA
mega.nz/#!1rIXjJaC!Nbobe3KmGP69XnK9FJW56oUjCVPHQqFMHzfLKFKmkhw
anarchivism.org/w/How_to_Rip_VHS
youtube.com/watch?v=as5aFmYJv8U
digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=JVC HR S9600U&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know that feeling user. I had a tape with the first season of Muppets Tonight including the original commercials and TGIF bumpers, but it got fucked beyond saving a few years ago.

There are easy ways to fix this.
youtube.com/watch?v=RUNMjeESM9g

True, but now I have to get a new VCR

Is myspleen the best tracker for old broadcasts and rare stuff? Or are there others?

>google it
>invites only
Fucking le elite xDD basement dwellers as always ruining things.

I can give you an invite if you want. Trying to save them for people with stuff they can upload, but willing to share a few extra ones

bump

b-bump

To think, people have saved episodes of shows, even commercials and bumpers too. but its not the same as watching TV shows switch to commercials and back again as it was originally.

Commercials like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=lygyzLtwFrM

I suppose it would be possible to recreate a typical broadcast on, say, a 1995 day by editing together episodes of shows and commercials. Just like if you went back in time and turned on the TV.

I haven't had cable or satellite TV in a long time, I don't know what TV is like now. What are commercials like today? Are they like YouTube commercials?

>What are commercials like today? Are they like YouTube commercials?
pretty much. they're incredibly irritating and obnoxious. they're desperate to get viewer's attention.

Damn, that sucks.

Are you sure it was the VCR's problem and not something with the tape? Damage and decay happen naturally over time. Also if you can affix the two broken sides together, it should still read, minus the loss of info around the tear.

>demonstrates how to fix somehting
>doesn't show it working again
Decent tutorial, but it would be nice to know the exact outcome.

Like others have implied in the thread, the first thing you should do is wind back up the VHS tape into the box so that it doesn't get any more damaged.

It was definitely the VCR as I tried another tape and the same thing happened. It's like it couldn't read the tape and then caught caught when I tried to eject it.

So, what are some of the TV recordings you have, Sup Forums?

Whatever I have left over from timer-recording adult swim every night. So probably some 2006 or 2007 broadcast.
I think all of paranoia agent on one tape, I remember saving that one. I might be missing the last episode though. FLCL too.

You got a myspleen account?

I've never been into anime outside of, when I was in middle school what OG Toonami aired, and in high school, what ASA aired. But damn that was some good shit. The late 90s - mid 00s were gold for quality anime and exposure in the west, even older stuff like Lupin and Gundam found new lives among a whole new generation.

Yeah, I thought about uploading a few of them. I ripped the FLCL tape, but the traking is kind of bad so I was thinking of redoing it. I can't tell if it's because the VCR is going bad, or if the tape is going bad. It's also 15GB for 3 hours so I obviously recorded at too high a quality.

Definitely. Being almost first through the door as an anime provider, Adult Swim could only afford to show the best they could, all without complaints of children seeing more mature ones.

Some people do upload the entire thing, shows and commercials included. Most just cut the shows out for space reasons.

Is it weeknight or weekend recordings mostly?

Weeknight most likely, on weekends I would stay up late rather than set the timer.

Nice. Then you have pretty much have broadcasts that haven't been uploaded yet.

There's one main guy who had nearly every sunday from December 2004 to late 2008 recorded, but other than that, not too much in the way of broadcasts from that era.

>all without complaints of children seeing more mature ones.
Remember when Toonami edited Evangelion?

I don't actually, around what year did they show that? It's not too gory or sexual, what did they edit?

For those without a Myspleen account, here are some broadcasts I uploaded to Mega a little while back:
mega.nz/#F!E54WHZwK!A5b1znKuZNn-BXuiTWeRZQ

Also there's a Google Doc with a few more things:
docs.google.com/document/d/1qrPjyrt9un5ZsN2hQOYz29MFgrmwO2geSdFQNKpt0Zw/edit

Does anyone have a tape recording of that? If they could share it, that'd be awesome!

Thanks man

bump

It's on myspleen i think.

Shame though. There's a bit of older Toonami stuff but really not much in the way of ASA broadcasts on there.

I see

last bump before bed
may try to do another thread tomorrow if this 404s
and will probably try to do a weekly thread at the very least on saturdays

Cool. Night user!

night

not enough disney/related or jetix

Think I have a tape's worth of Disney Channel c. 2005/6, possibly Jetix because I was watching it then. I'd have to dig deeper

Sounds great. Try & upload everything you can.

I was in a thread like this some weeks ago, I have 4 tapes with a 2010 Nicktoons Invader Zim marathon on it but I'm too nervous to put them in my TV/VHS combo again since it keeps acting like it's going to fuck the tapes up. I put them in once just to see what was on them since just one tape was labeled. I'm not sure if there are any commercial breaks or if this was the entire marathon, I think I had someone else record it while I was away from home.

Looking through older tapes I also found some Toon Disney stuff with 101 Dalmations: The Series on it, pulled it out soon after it started playing so I don't know what else is on it.

My question is, how easy is it to transfer this stuff to my computer? How safe is it? Thanks, I'm new to this stuff since I've never had to do it before.

>can't find the 2010 marathon promo online
with how rabid the fans were i thought at least that would be archived somewhere, all i remember is the bumper having a CGI nicktoons/zim sign on the side of the screen at the end

>how easy is it to transfer this stuff to my computer?
Pretty easy if you have the equipment. Something similar to this
>amazon.com/TOTMC-Capture-Adapter-Windows-Window/dp/B00M7T8T1E/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z7EXHXKWX687Z2FTQDXP
would do it. Instead of plugging the VCR into the TV, you plug it into the USB dongle and your computer records what's playing.

>How safe is it?
Exactly as safe as playing a tape in a VCR

Just found more info on the marathon, it was 2011 instead and it was during a "24 hour marathon-athon" thing Nicktoons was doing for different shows, so I guess the Zim marathon was 24 hours like I was kinda thinking. Makes me wonder how much I managed on these 4 tapes.

Still can't find the Zim version of the promo.

Thanks, sounds good. I'll try to dump what I can one day.

I would un-ironically pay full price for cable if it meant I could order specific years of TV. I'd set it to run 1985-2005 and never bother with modern media ever again. The same channel programs with a TV guide and the old commercials too.

Honestly, I'd shell out $40 a month for this one service, easily. Fuck netflix or youtube.

I'm always amazed properties and products sit untouched in this day and age. They never get un-made, and Netflix and itunes have proven that digital delivery is completely viable.

was that his girlfriend asking which sex outfit he'd want her in??

Why bother with newer broadca-
>2011 was 6 years ago
jesus christ

Right? and also I'd think newer broadcasts could be worth preserving. Like special events, blocks, series premieres/series finales, etc. What's old to us was new to us at one point too. Eventually 2017 will be 10 years behind us. Maybe even random episode reruns. Who knows what will be preserved in the future, there's a fuck ton of shit lost to time and back then people never imagined that the thing they were watching would never be seen again.

I have a bunch of tapes but past me kept being retarded and opening up the TV guide and leaving it there for like 30 minutes. I think one of them was disney, and then some movie network. At some point one of the tapes stops on a mickey mouse cartoon and my even more retarded friend records himself playing a PS1 sport game.

Yeah i used to record discovery kids stuff, but recorded over all of it with random shit

other stuff being recorded interest me, even if it's just game play or something boring, because it was something done long ago

yeah fair enough

bump for you guys

>What are commercials like today? Are they like YouTube commercials?

The few times I watch kiddie cartoons with my nieces and nephews I'm shocked by how little the commercials have changed since the 90s.

Even the toys they advertise are often the same ones.

I hear online there are new VCRs that use HDMI

Hmmmm.... I'll definitely have to look into that

>so I guess the Zim marathon was 24 hours
They would have to have played some episodes twice then. There aren't enough Zim episodes to cover 24 hours.

Yea I'm thinking I just recorded the first run and not the rest/repeats, I'm not sure though.

Not counting the Christmas episode which I'm going to assume they skipped, there are 26 half hour episodes of Zim which is only enough to fill 13 out of 24 hours. That would mean there should be at least 11 hours and 22 episodes that were repeats.

And that's assuming they started at episode 1, went through every episode in order and started over when they got to the end. If they were just selecting episodes at random, then there could have been more repeats then that.

Are there any ASA full show runs floating around on the web?

Here's a couple of tapes I dumped a couple of weeks ago on here:
September 17, 2002- Trapped in Hyperspace
mega.nz/#!M2JBGayB!hjRmKhnQxSZ4BLVfbFSv-pmeOcmsPp9IUaftgaHxZ2w
Unknown date, 2000- Land Before Time V
mega.nz/#!Vm4WlYLQ!Q2ODcsJFklEYYHtI0_V-vvDb68mDe7FM40DGLUxOWbA
mega.nz/#!l7hWXC4J!BnrU_uYZT3YqLnzkNeHULEzKwpCWATQIgnNj0JSdzfo

I also have about three CN recordings from 2009-2010 if anyone wants them. I have to wait until I get home to transfer them though.

>2009-2010
yes please

are you in the US? wanna know if there's a chance I saw these same broadcasts or not

Sure thing

Yeah I live in the US.
One of the discs is a partial recording of Har Har Tharsdays from January 30, 2010

Sounds good then, HHT was pretty cool

What would be the point, compatibility? VHS quality is much much lower than HD.

TESTING: Do you know what a time base corrector is? Are you using one when archiving your tapes? If you answered no to either of those questions then you need to start over from scratch.

digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/2251-tbc-time-base.html

bump

Are they really that important though?

Extremely. I have a pro deck that has one built into it & it lets you toggle it off & on with a button. With certain tapes it doubles the video quality. Much better separation of colors.

Whoa. I only have my vhs tapes but nothing else. What equipment would you recommend getting and how much would it run me?

I just got home, so I'm transferring them right now. They were recorded on DVDs, so the quality should be pretty good..

>recorded on DVDs
huuuuuh??

Dvd-r

is there any recordings of cartoon network or boomerang that are not from myspleen can be shared?

Any specific era?

Preferably the 80s, hell the 70s would be nice

Uh, that's impossible.

But Cartoon Network came in 1992 and Boomerang in 2000.

Maybe he meant that era of cartoons

I think he means he wants 70/80s cartoons, user.

Sorry for the long wait, my internet is shit.
January 23, 2010- Miscellaneous CN:
mega.nz/#!QqRyxJoA!34DoNdOUT5XOtuzTFtscb4I-xpm1QutP4iuQONi43m0

bump

Awesome, thanks!

Do you know what shows are on them?

I'll add it to the Google Doc

Flapjack and Ed Edd n Eddy

January 30, 2010- Har Har Tharsdays (Chowder and Johnny Test)
mega.nz/#!drYjBAiS!1isZlPJn0-smOEJo4tuNiYHXU5n6yBkPhl_6Z_ct1nA

February 2010- Miscellaneous CN (Ed Edd n Eddy and Johnny Test)

mega.nz/#!1rIXjJaC!Nbobe3KmGP69XnK9FJW56oUjCVPHQqFMHzfLKFKmkhw

Neat

anarchivism.org/w/How_to_Rip_VHS

Let's definitely make this a weekly thread

This. We can even put that link in the OP for each thread, so anons with VHS' that don't know how to rip can learn how to do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=as5aFmYJv8U

I allow it.

How does saturdays at 12/1ish sound?

That way nobody's at work and we might even catch some older toonami fans

>my TV/VHS combo again since it keeps acting like it's going to fuck the tapes up

Yeah those are notorious for eating tapes. Just buy a standalone one.

It's a JVC HR S9600U S-VHS deck, though any VCR in bold should be fine.

digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/1567-vcr-buying-guide.html

Here's some listings to get an idea of what they go for. Mine came busted in the mail though, so I had to return it & get another one. They're pretty fragile. Keep an eye out for S-VHS VCRs if you happen to go to a resale store.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=JVC HR S9600U&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc

Thanks so much! What about converters?

Just buy one with a built in TBC like the one I posted. Saves you time & effort. See that green button on the right that says Digital TBC/NR? Supposedly since it filters the image it also removes the copywrite protection from tapes, so you could potentially use it to backup tapes that you normally couldn't.

So it's worth shelling out a couple hundred bucks?

Yes